ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else worried about coronavirus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is an NCAA game being played in China?
There are some US cities, with reported cases but from what I’ve read so far, these were all few in number and isolated and not folks running lose on the streets. Can’t say it couldn’t affect an given site, but I’d not expect that.

3 new deaths today in Washington state alone. Surely you know this number is gonna explode over the next few weeks. The only question is whether the decision makers are able to put it in perspective with the flu and everything else.

It could be that the mortality rate might be exaggerated considering that CV symptoms are so mild that many do not realize they have contracted the virus, get over it, and go unreported.

Where did you get that percentage?
Number of reported cases versus confirmed deaths, however, that's purely speculative because who knows the number of actual infected with the number of deaths that may have occurred but not known to be coronavirus related.

Wasn't responding to you with my comment meant that people are buying up water currently like it's a hurricane and they'll be no running water. Regardless, the reason the health community is concerned is:

-transmits easier than the flu
-lives longer outside of the body than the flu
-has a long period where people show no symptoms but are contagious
-has around 2-4% death rate depending on country currently, 20-30x higher than that of the flu (which is generally around .01-.03%)

In 2018 it was estimated that 40,000,000 people got the flu and 61,000 died from it. Translate all those viral infections to CV-19 viruses and 800,000 will die every year in the US. If this thing gets a foothold, it will become a seasonal epidemic.

Reactions: Buck-I-Nole
Some college players association (not NCAA) is calling for the games to be played with NO fans!

Seriously. Some of you might want to pump the brakes on getting your medical information from your orange faced deity. Dont worry, you dont have to watch CNN. Just read and listen to actual medical reports from medical professionals.
Gee, and I thought this was all made up. You are so clever ... watching the same numbers as you are without the risible commentary.

Good thing CBS has never gotten anything wrong and always report facts.

Funny the headline says BREAKING: 6 DEAD WASHINGTON STATE. Then the video says 5 dead in the US
There are 6 deaths in Washington. Video may have been made before the article was posted and the death total was raised by the time it was put up.

Reactions: Nolesrule
Gee, and I thought this was all made up. You are so clever ... watching the same numbers as you are without the risible commentary.

I don't understand your point. If you don't think this a hoax then I obviously wasn't speaking to you. Why the passive aggressiveness?

Panic? Estimation of the general effects of the virus? Containment expectations? ... seriously?
The stock market has 0 to do with the epidemiology of a virus. Whether people want to buy or sell stocks does not effect rate of transmission or mortality rates especially when the administration is making a concerted effort to downplay it to not effect the economy.

I don't understand your point. If you don't think this a hoax then I obviously wasn't speaking to you. Why the passive aggressiveness?
Wow! And a flash card psychologist as well!

Panic? Estimation of the general effects of the virus? Containment expectations? ... seriously?

You're again not getting the point. The poster said the coronavirus was "all hype" and cited the stock market going up for the reason. I and the other poster responded to him pointing out the rise in the stock market might not be the best predictor for how dangerous coronavirus can be.

The stock market has 0 to do with the epidemiology of a virus. Whether people want to buy or sell stocks does not effect rate of transmission or mortality rates especially when the administration is making a concerted effort to downplay it to not effect the economy.

Even if you want to play that game like it matters last week they sunk over 10%. Then with people trying to buy low it went back up. Did something change with the virus? Maybe I'm missing something.

Also, the Spanish Flu killed between 30-50 million people. The stock market was largely not impacted during it.

Thanks for the insight ....pontificating is what you do best. Market analysts take all this into consideration...

Reactions: noletaire
Thanks for the insight ....pontificating is what you do best. Market analysts take all this into consideration...

Who said they didn't take that into consideration?

Maybe step away from the keyboard for a minute instead of continuing to shift the goal posts when you realize you're missing the point post after post. I realize this is condescending at this point but you're arrogance is a bit much to ignore.

Again please explain how the stock market is an indicator of epidemiology of a virus.

The stock market was not impacted by the Spanish Flu even though it killed 5% of the Earth's population.

Your also completely ignoring the fact that last week it dropped 1,000 points. The number of infected/deaths only increased from last week to this week so what happened with the virus? It went from serious issue (huge drop) to not huge issue?

Reactions: Nolesrule and Sembo
Again please explain how the stock market is an indicator of epidemiology of a virus.

The stock market was not impacted by the Spanish Flu even though it killed 5% of the Earth's population.
there is a huge difference between the present global market and the market during the Spanish flu.

Who said they didn't take that into consideration?

Maybe step away from the keyboard for a minute instead of continuing to shift the goal posts when you realize you're missing the point post after post. I realize this is condescending at this point but you're arrogance is a bit much to ignore.
Mine? Your point was not that subtle ... or profound.

there is a huge difference between the present global market and the market during the Spanish flu.
Okay then please explain how the market is different now versus in 1919 and the difference makes the current world market a much much more reliable indicator of global viral impact of a highly contagious germ.

Reactions: Sembo
Mine? Your point was not that subtle ... or profound.

If you would like to discuss, feel free to discuss instead of vaguely tossing insults. You're literally responding with either shifting the goal post or just nothing.

My original post was responding to someone else (not you) hoping that people are listening to medical professionals instead of the President regarding the coronavirus.

You responded, for some reason thinking this was directed at you, by telling me sarcastically you thought it was all a hoax and you're watching the numbers.

It's really hard to decipher what exactly you're getting at, other than being insufferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT