ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else worried about coronavirus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its safe to say many govt's have been ill prepared, not the least of which is the govt/country where this all started. Perhaps if they were more forthcoming we would have had even more lead time to get ahead of this.
China has a lot of blame but other countries like South Korea still ramped up and were prepared. The US did very little especially in light of Trump firing all the people that are supposed to have us prepared.

Reactions: Nolesrule
Okay? You originally said it wasn't going to spread widely. That's what I responded to. Maybe that's not what you meant but it's what you said. Instead of moving the goal posts to make yourself look better, just admit either you mispoke or were wrong.

Think about what you're saying, especially as it relates to an extremely contagious virus that we know very little about. It may not be a "major" issue in your terms, but that's literally how pandemics start out...

Don't be coy. You already called the mod cops and they saw fit to edit that part out. It's pretty amazing that someone can hurl subtly racist remarks like you did and the person who calls it out gets censored. What a site!

But back to your point since you brought it up. I wasn't calling you racist for posting misleading CDC info. I was calling your comments racist when you said "Best thing we can do for March Madness is not serve roasted Bats, Rats or Snakes from the concessions." As I stated in the post that got censored, this is nothing but peddling right wing conspiracy theories (https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-n...ople-eating-raw-bats-to-blame-for-coronavirus).

That's probably best.

My comments about eating/serving up bats etc. comes directly from the CDC's site (there's a boat load of info. on there about the specific animal sources- ie; bats) not from the article you've tagged.

The sequences from U.S. patients are similar to the one that China initially posted, suggesting a likely single, recent emergence of this virus from an animal reservoir.

Still do not believe it is healthy eating bats, rats etc. and I have traveled, dined extensively in China and Japan. They carry rabies, Hendra, Marburg, etc. and its been suggested they were the original host of Ebola and Nipah (and this virus).

Personally, I don't have anything against bats. But based on these specific issues with them and the diseases they carry, it would be wise not to eat them. My comments about that was just as I meant it, a tongue in cheek comment about them and nothing more.

Agree with you on Korea. You’re half right on the other point:
https://www.politifact.com/factchec...nald-trump-fire-pandemic-officials-defund-cd/

Okay.

The former head resigned abruptly for mysterious reasons (like many other patriots who have been forced to resign under his administration), forcing trump to reorganize the unit. Unfortunately reorganization to him meant leaving all of the positions vacant for the past two years, despite a bipartisan effort by experts and lawmakers in Nov 2019.

Is that better for you?

Reactions: Nolesrule
Okay.

The former head resigned abruptly for mysterious reasons (like many other patriots who have been forced to resign under his administration), forcing trump to reorganize the unit. Unfortunately reorganization to him meant leaving all of the positions vacant for the past two years, despite a bipartisan effort by experts and lawmakers in Nov 2019.

Is that better for you?
Not better or worse for me actually.

Reactions: stevemacc
The media will decide. They keep blowing this out of proportion like they have and yes it be.......they realize this is a slightly worse than flu, and we survive like we did the last several apocalypse....SARS, avian flu, Ebola, blah, blah, blah... like I said at the grocery store today....see you at the next apocalypse;)

The media will decide. They keep blowing this out of proportion like they have and yes it be.......they realize this is a slightly worse than flu, and we survive like we did the last several apocalypse....SARS, avian flu, Ebola, blah, blah, blah... like I said at the grocery store today....see you at the next apocalypse;)
Haha I mean Ebola prob would be a different story. It is amazing seeing people buying hundreds of bottles of water as if this is going to be the apocalypse.

I’d say <1% chance this happens. People are really losing their minds over this.

Your 2nd sentence is why it’s much > 1%. The panic and hysteria is gonna get worse every day leading up to the games.

Reactions: MMA1
Reminds me of Siena College years ago. They played their conference championship for a chance to go to the NCAA Tournament in front of no fans. I believe there was a measles outbreak at the school/campus where the title game was played.

If we play March Madness with no fans in the stands it will be a big homecourt advantage for FSU since our team is used to it.

Man you obviously don’t go to the games. Crowds have been unreal recently. Keeping it up and continuously looking at ways to fill the empties will be necessary, but again, this season’s been awesome.

Reactions: MMA1 and NJNOLES
No one in this thread seems to know how virology works, or why we've gotten relatively lucky with the outbreaks of the past 30yrs...

It's because the government & therefor public "overreacts," resulting in better emergency response & community behaviors that reduce transmission. Not the other way around.

No one in this thread seems to know how virology works, or why we've gotten relatively lucky with the outbreaks of the past 30yrs...

It's because the government & therefor public "overreacts," resulting in better emergency response & community behaviors that reduce transmission. Not the other way around.

Or because we are healthier, better fed, and have lower levels of smoking than the places where the outbreak starts.

Reactions: NJNOLES
Do the math -

If 150,000,000 Americans become infected and 2% die that's 3,000,000 fatalities.

The US lost about 2,850,000 military in all of it's wars.

Sorry squiffynole, those numbers are ridiculous. China has 1.5 Billion people and has had 2945 deaths. Down to less than 200 new cases a day.

Do the math -

If 150,000,000 Americans become infected and 2% die that's 3,000,000 fatalities.

Half the US population gets infected by this thing?? Seems a bit aggressive on that baseline assumption.

Reactions: Joey_b33
Ok, true. But I will say that Ebola is no joke.

Reactions: BiminiBound
Do the math -

That would be a lot of old people and people with weak immune systems or underlying issues. Normal and healthy individuals are not dying from this virus and will not. Therefor those numbers would never reach that high.

That would be a lot of old people and people with weak immune systems or underlying issues. Normal and healthy individuals are not dying from this virus and will not. Therefor those numbers would never reach that high.
Normal and healthy individuals WILL die from this disease. We don’t need to panic, but we don’t need to bury our head in the sand either.

or, its just a hoax like our president said and there's nothing to worry about

my gut feeling tells me its somewhere in between

The media doesnt decide, they arent blowing it out of proportion, and its not a hoax.

People can die from it, and unless/until DOCTORS not politicians tell me whats up with it, I'd personally feel better erring on the side of caution

Normal and healthy individuals WILL die from this disease. We don’t need to panic, but we don’t need to bury our head in the sand either.

Just curious why you think this????
Its a respiratory disease that kills people by pneumonia.
Smokers are at highest risk. Underlying respiratory disease are at risk. Older individuals especially males who are not active. Those that are immune suppressed. Those that don't have access to health care.

Beyond those risk factors virtually no one has died or should die.

Reactions: 79Noles02
Would be heart breaking but it’s not a far fetched scenario. If they are seriously considering canceling soccer games in Europe which is the biggest sport in the world with the most revenue and most wideopen stadiums with players who are payed, do you think the ncaa is comfortable with the concept of 20k people in inclosed stadiums with college kids and the liabilities to the universities incur if any of those one and some players get sick? I’d say the risk is more 10 percent not one. It would be a historic development but not a shocking one

Major companies like Apple are canceling all work travel.

Schools all over are canceling study abroad and spring break stuff.

I don’t panic but I’m at the law school advocacy center now coaching a moot court team, and they’re legit talking about maybe not being able to go to NYC next week because they may cancel.

No doubt we need calm. But with the level of infectiousness (especially the degree to which it can be transmitted by folks with NO symptoms and the time this bug sits around) we are likely to see a lot of stuff coming to keep crowds from spreading this thing.

Do the math -

150 Million in the US really if that happens you best have a lot of bullets because it will be like walking dead!

US poplulation is what? 350 Million and we have weeks into this and we have 75000 world wide being reported

I am not saying it’s something to ignore but should be talking about action to prevent and what to do if you think you have the virus and screening anyone coming into US

Which should be Happening anyway..
But what do I know

If it your time then wearing. Mask is not going to stop it

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT