ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else worried about coronavirus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay then please explain how the market is different now versus in 1919 and the difference makes the current world market a much much more reliable indicator of global viral impact of a highly contagious germ.
Better yet, you explain how they are the same .... you made the comparison.

:Face with Tears of Joy:Face with Tears of Joy:Face with Tears of Joy:Face with Tears of Joy

You literally were the one to interject and claim how they were different (remember? "huge difference")...

But sure, he needs to explain why an apple is an apple.
Another insightful post. He implied they were the same ... not surprising that was too subtle for you.

Another insightful post. He implied they were the same ... not surprising that was too subtle for you.
I didn’t imply anything. I stated a fact that during the Spanish Flu the stock market was barely impacted despite 50 million world wide deaths. You stated that the stock market was completely different then and now implying that it could not be expected to factor in a global pandemic. Then provided zero support for your position.

Reactions: Nolesrule and Sembo
Causing problems for the NCAA Tournament? Some college players association is already asking for the games to be played with no crowds. Could you even imagine?

And if the US outbreak starts to resemble Italy’s in the next couple weeks I could see them not playing the games at all out of an abundance of caution.

Maybe I should be more concerned than I am about the virus itself killing me or others but for right now... March Madness is my top priority.

Anyone else concerned?
Only if the irrational news media continues to over hype the current situation. Its been reported that over 16,000 people died last year of the flu and no one said a word about this. Where was the public health warning last year about March Madness? Use common sense about washing your hands and being smart about the use of public facilities and you'll be just fine.

Only if the irrational news media continues to over hype the current situation. Its been reported that over 16,000 people died last year of the flu and no one said a word about this. Where was the public health warning last year about March Madness? Use common sense about washing your hands and being smart about the use of public facilities and you'll be just fine.
People talk about the flu all the time. We have flu shots every year because of the risk. It’s also known how to combat it. It’s something we deal with every single year and is well known.

We know very little about corona-19 at this point except it’s death rate is higher than the seasonal flu. It can stay out in the open longer and still infect a person and the contagious but dormant state is longer.

Its not Captain Trips from the stand but it’s dangerous and worth taking precautions for. It’s definitely not fake news and should be taken seriously.

Last edited:
From what information that’s out there, the biggest issue seems to be that it’s more contagious than the yearly flu. Death rates could be a bit higher just because it hits more of us. Looks like it ran thru the nursing home in Washington St. and wreaked havoc. No surprise there. Said tonight about 80% of cases should be mild.

People talk about the flu all the time. We have flu shots every year because of the risk. It’s also known how to combat it. It’s something we deal with every single year and is well known.

We know very little about corona-19 at this point except it’s death rate is higher than the seasonal flu. It can stay out in the open longer and still infect a person and the contagious but dormant state is longer.

Its not Captain Trips from the stand but it’s dangerous and worth taking precautions for. It’s definitely not fake news and should be taken seriously.
People certainly talk about it and are vaccinated for it but it hasn't caused this level of panic (market wise). We haven't made flu deaths front page news like its been over the last 2-3 weeks. I'm not suggesting we shouldn't be concerned but just be a little more measured about it.

The CDC says the risk of this spreading widely in this country is low. Are they right, who knows. The mortality rate right now is between 2-3.4% and is substantially below the 10% rate for SARS. People who are elderly and already have significant health issues need to be especially cautious.

Best thing we can do for March Madness is not serve roasted Bats, Rats or Snakes from the concessions. Unless of course they are submerged in warm beer! And fwiw, I never said this was fake news. Just over hyped by some in the media who seem to be more interested with making political points vs. helping people take the requisite precautions to avoid it all together.

Tough situation. Yes, more Americans will die from the flu this year but given worldwide travel and the fact that there is no vaccine and likely will not be one for 4 to 7 months or longer means the number coronavirus infected in our country will increase. If there’s such a thing as a silver lining in a spreading pandemic it’s that older folks with compromised immune/respiratory systems appear to be at the greatest risks.

Reactions: theFSUman
“Hey, more people will die from the flu this year than from COVID-19.”

Has to be the worst argument possible. This is largely the psyche that will inspire chaos:

“Hey, in addition to flu, this year there’s a brand new, currently untreatable virus. If you’re weakened and/or old, you’re screwed if you get it.”

If you don’t see how that has the potential to freak people out then I don’t know what to say to you.

People certainly talk about it and are vaccinated for it but it hasn't caused this level of panic (market wise). We haven't made flu deaths front page news like its been over the last 2-3 weeks. I'm not suggesting we shouldn't be concerned but just be a little more measured about it.

The CDC says the risk of this spreading widely in this country is low. Are they right, who knows. The mortality rate right now is between 2-3.4% and is substantially below the 10% rate for SARS. People who are elderly and already have significant health issues need to be especially cautious.

Best thing we can do for March Madness is not serve roasted Bats, Rats or Snakes from the concessions. Unless of course they are submerged in warm beer! And fwiw, I never said this was fake news. Just over hyped by some in the media who seem to be more interested with making political points vs. helping people take the requisite precautions to avoid it all together.

You’re literally peddling right wing conspiracy theories.

Oh and this?

”The CDC says the risk of this spreading widely in this country is low.”

Just. No. Thats what your leader says. The actual CDC says this:

A34C89A9-880E-42C8-811C-C10339CA91D4.png

The risk of spreading widely isnt low, its likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of things to note about COVID-19 are that we really do not know yet how widespread this is in the USA because we have barely tested for it yet. We are ramping up testing now, so the number of confirmed cases is likely to grow fast mainly because of the availability of the test.

Johns Hopkins put together a realtime map of the virus. If you are interested in looking at it here is a direct link to map:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Click on the number of cases on the left hand side (# of confirmed cases) and it will also tell you the number of recovered as well as the number of fatalities attributed to COVID-19. These numbers are expected to grow rapidly.

As mentioned above the scary thing about this virus is that we do not yet have a vaccine for it yet and its mortality rate seems higher than the flu, a virus that we also take pretty seriously with a large effort to inoculate our population annually.

Stay safe and practice good hygiene.

Couple of things to note about COVID-19 are that we really do not know yet how widespread this is in the USA because we have barely tested for it yet. We are ramping up testing now, so the number of confirmed cases is likely to grow fast mainly because of the availability of the test.

Johns Hopkins put together a realtime map of the virus. If you are interested in looking at it here is a direct link to map:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Click on the number of cases on the left hand side (# of confirmed cases) and it will also tell you the number of recovered as well as the number of fatalities attributed to COVID-19. These numbers are expected to grow rapidly.

As mentioned above the scary thing about this virus is that we do not yet have a vaccine for it yet and its mortality rate seems higher than the flu, a virus that we also take pretty seriously with a large effort to inoculate our population annually.

Stay safe and practice good hygiene.
Sorry I’ll wait to see if the Dow drops 300 points before I decide if I want to wash my hands.

Yawn ..... Yaw do know they have vaccines for cattle already on the market for a number of years.
Fantastic news for the cattle.

They’ve already said a vaccine would be at least a year before it’s ready to go out to the public.

Reactions: Nolesrule
Fantastic news for the cattle.

They’ve already said a vaccine would be at least a year before it’s ready to go out to the public.
I wonder how bad of an idea would it be to buy stock in the two drug companies that make the vaccine for cattle. The same two drug companies are major players for making drugs for humans too.

I'm concerned about airline travel I have on Wednesday/Thursday, I'm concerned about Saturday's home basketball game. Not for me - I have that same foundation-less over-confidence I'm reading here - its later being around my 87-year old mother and wife who has fragile health.

I wonder how bad of an idea would it be to buy stock in the two drug companies that make the vaccine for cattle. The same two drug companies are major players for making drugs for humans too.
Not the worst idea. I suspect a lot of people are doing the same.

March 3 (GMT):
Bruce Aylward, World Health Organization Joint Mission to China:

"I think the key learning from China is speed — it’s all about the speed. The faster you can find the cases, isolate the cases, and track their close contacts, the more successful you’re going to be. [...]

People keep saying [the cases are the] tip of the iceberg. But we couldn’t find that. We found there’s a lot of people who are cases, a lot of close contacts — but not a lot of asymptomatic circulation of this virus in the bigger population. And that’s different from flu. [...]

China got patients in treatment early and have hightly sophisticated health care procedures. They are really good at keeping people alive with this disease. They have a survival rate (with a mortality rate of just under 1% outside of Hubei province) for this disease I would not extrapolate to the rest of the world. What you’ve seen in Italy and Iran is that a lot of people are dying.

Panic and hysteria are not appropriate. This is a disease that is in the cases and their close contacts. It’s not a hidden enemy lurking behind bushes. Get organized, get educated, and get working."

You’re literally peddling right wing conspiracy theories which are borderline racist.

Oh and this?

”The CDC says the risk of this spreading widely in this country is low.”

Just. No. Thats what your leader says. The actual CDC says this:

A34C89A9-880E-42C8-811C-C10339CA91D4.png

The risk of spreading widely isnt low, its likely.
My leader? The head of the CDC? Yep, the CDC is peddling a bunch of racist information by saying the virus isn't spreading widely and the risk assessment is relatively low to others in the U.S. Can that change, of course. I said that. If you don't like what the CDC site is saying, take it up with them. Here's what's on their front page about this virus:

At this time, however, most people in the United States will have little immediate risk of exposure to this virus. This virus is NOT currently spreading widely in the United States. However, it is important to note that current global circumstances suggest it is likely that this virus will cause a pandemic. This is a rapidly evolving situation and the risk assessment will be updated as needed.

Current risk assessment:

• For the general American public, who are unlikely to be exposed to this virus at this time, the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low.
  • People in communities where ongoing community spread with the virus that causes COVID-19 has been reported are at elevated though still relatively low risk of exposure.
  • Healthcare workers caring for patients with COVID-19 are at elevated risk of exposure.
  • Close contacts of persons with COVID-19 also are at elevated risk of exposure.
  • Travelers returning from affected international locations where community spread is occurring also are at elevated risk of exposure.

My leader? The head of the CDC? Yep, the CDC is peddling a bunch of racist information by saying the virus isn't spreading widely and the risk assessment is relatively low to others in the U.S. Can that change, of course. I said that. If you don't like what the CDC site is saying, take it up with them. Here's what's on their front page about this virus:

At this time, however, most people in the United States will have little immediate risk of exposure to this virus. This virus is NOT currently spreading widely in the United States. However, it is important to note that current global circumstances suggest it is likely that this virus will cause a pandemic. This is a rapidly evolving situation and the risk assessment will be updated as needed.

Current risk assessment:

• For the general American public, who are unlikely to be exposed to this virus at this time, the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low.
  • People in communities where ongoing community spread with the virus that causes COVID-19 has been reported are at elevated though still relatively low risk of exposure.
  • Healthcare workers caring for patients with COVID-19 are at elevated risk of exposure.
  • Close contacts of persons with COVID-19 also are at elevated risk of exposure.
  • Travelers returning from affected international locations where community spread is occurring also are at elevated risk of exposure.
It's kind of hard to know if it's spreading because we don't have enough testing and you don't even qualify for testing unless you have traveled to an affected country or can show you were in proximity to someone that has already tested positive. People with symptoms are trying to get tested but they're refusing to test unless they meet one of those two criteria.

3r915o.jpg

It's kind of hard to know if it's spreading because we don't have enough testing and you don't even qualify for testing unless you have traveled to an affected country or can show you were in proximity to someone that has already tested positive. People with symptoms are trying to get tested but they're refusing to test unless they meet one of those two criteria.

3r915o.jpg
Looks like the kit problem is about to be solved (good news):
The CDC says it has enough kits to test at least 75,000 people, and more are on order. Stephen Hahn, the head of the FDA, told reporters on Monday that close to a million test kits would be available by week's end.

Each lab that orders a diagnostic panel from the CDC to test for COVID-19 will receive one diagnostic panel initially, and each panel can test 700 to 800 patient specimens.

As for the other issue of who to test, they should reconsider testing more people-especially in the infected areas/region where the virus has shown up.

Current risk assessment:

Here's another guy shifting the goal posts.

-You said quote, "The CDC says the risk of this spreading widely in this country is low."

-I provided you with a link to the front page of the CDC site that completely contradicts what you said.

-You respond by posting a different part of the website which says, not that the risk of spreading widely is low, but rather right now at this moment the "general public" is not exposed to it.

-Great point! In a county with 300 million people, maybe exposure is only in the thousands which can be called "low". Unfortunately that's how pandemics start... a pandemic that, if you read your own post, the CDC says is likely to happen.

-You said quote, "The CDC says the risk of this spreading widely in this country is low."

-I provided you with a link to the front page of the CDC site that completely contradicts what you said.

-You respond by posting a different part of the website which says, not that the risk of spreading widely is low, but rather right now at this moment the "general public" is not exposed to it.

-Great point! In a county with 300 million people, maybe exposure is only in the thousands which can be called "low". Unfortunately that's how pandemics start... a pandemic that, if you read your own post, the CDC says is likely to happen.

Not moving the goal posts: this is what it says directly from the CDC site:

At this time, however, most people in the United States will have little immediate risk of exposure to this virus. This virus is NOT currently spreading widely in the United States.

I never said it wasn't something that needs immediate attention but fanning this into a major issue here before it actually justifies it does nothing but promotes over reaction and unreasonable fears imo. FWIW, your comments about my statements regarding what I pulled from the CDC site being racist is out of line. If you don't want to have a civil discussion then stop replying. I'm done here.

At this time, however, most people in the United States will have little immediate risk of exposure to this virus. This virus is NOT currently spreading widely in the United States.

Okay? You originally said it wasn't going to spread widely. That's what I responded to. Maybe that's not what you meant but it's what you said. Instead of moving the goal posts to make yourself look better, just admit either you mispoke or were wrong.

I never said it wasn't something that needs immediate attention but fanning this into a major issue here before it actually justifies it does nothing but promotes over reaction and unreasonable fears imo.

Think about what you're saying, especially as it relates to an extremely contagious virus that we know very little about. It may not be a "major" issue in your terms, but that's literally how pandemics start out...

FWIW, your comments about my statements regarding what I pulled from the CDC site being racist is out of line. If you don't want to have a civil discussion then stop replying.

Don't be coy. You already called the mod cops and they saw fit to edit that part out. It's pretty amazing that someone can hurl subtly racist remarks like you did and the person who calls it out gets censored. What a site!

But back to your point since you brought it up. I wasn't calling you racist for posting misleading CDC info. I was calling your comments racist when you said "Best thing we can do for March Madness is not serve roasted Bats, Rats or Snakes from the concessions." As I stated in the post that got censored, this is nothing but peddling right wing conspiracy theories (https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-n...ople-eating-raw-bats-to-blame-for-coronavirus).

I'm done here.

That's probably best.

I never said it wasn't something that needs immediate attention but fanning this into a major issue here before it actually justifies it does nothing but promotes over reaction and unreasonable fears imo. FWIW, your comments about my statements regarding what I pulled from the CDC site being racist is out of line. If you don't want to have a civil discussion then stop replying. I'm done here.
The problem with the bolded part is that the government has been widely criticized for being ill prepared for this and not having adequate testing ready to go. Because of this it is extremely hard to get tested even if you want to be tested. You don't even qualify unless you went to a country with problems or were around someone that is confirmed positive. So it's dishonest for the administration to say it's not spreading when they can't adequately test to make that determination. Also, don't even get me started on people voluntarily going in and being actually able to get a test, getting a positive test and then being quarantined and receiving a bill for several thousands dollars for doing the right thing and going in.

Italy had 466 new cases yesterday. 3.15% death rate now.

The problem with the bolded part is that the government has been widely criticized for being ill prepared for this and not having adequate testing ready to go. Because of this it is extremely hard to get tested even if you want to be tested. You don't even qualify unless you went to a country with problems or were around someone that is confirmed positive. So it's dishonest for the administration to say it's not spreading when they can't adequately test to make that determination. Also, don't even get me started on people voluntarily going in and being actually able to get a test, getting a positive test and then being quarantined and receiving a bill for several thousands dollars for doing the right thing and going in.
I think its safe to say many govt's have been ill prepared, not the least of which is the govt/country where this all started. Perhaps if they were more forthcoming we would have had even more lead time to get ahead of this.

I think its safe to say many govt's have been ill prepared, not the least of which is the govt/country where this all started. Perhaps if they were more forthcoming we would have had even more lead time to get ahead of this.

Agreed that China's attempts to keep this under wraps hurt the world's ability to respond. Unfortunately, what also hurt the US's ability to respond was trump firing the entire US Pandemic Response Team in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT