ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else worried about coronavirus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vaccine testing is starting this morning.
There are up to 30 anti-viral S already on the market which have had some degree of efficacy in treatment, but this is the first of many attempts already in the works for a vaccine.
And thank you Nurse Ratchett for the update! :eek:
Bbbbbbil-llly

The best hope for society is that treatment plans evolve/improve and anti virals are shown to be effective. We simply cannot shut down our society long term for something with this low of a mortality rate. We’ll all come out of our caves to a completely ruined economy. This is hardly affecting people under the age of 60 at all and really if you don’t have many comorbidities it won’t affect you unless you’re into your 80s. We can’t allow unemployment to soar up past 15% or god forbid 20% like someone said earlier today. There are going to be many more cases and some deaths but I think by Memorial Day things should be mostly back to normal. I just hate this so much for the people losing their jobs.

The best hope for society is that treatment plans evolve/improve and anti virals are shown to be effective. We simply cannot shut down our society long term for something with this low of a mortality rate. We’ll all come out of our caves to a completely ruined economy. This is hardly affecting people under the age of 60 at all and really if you don’t have many comorbidities it won’t affect you unless you’re into your 80s. We can’t allow unemployment to soar up past 15% or god forbid 20% like someone said earlier today. There are going to be many more cases and some deaths but I think by Memorial Day things should be mostly back to normal. I just hate this so much for the people losing their jobs.
Looks like Chloroquine is starting to look promising.

In mid January, the WHO announced that the virus was not contagious among humans. The US still blocked travel from China to the US anyway.
What does this have to do with Trump downplaying it to the public but the same day the administration telling rich donors the opposite.

Regardless the first situation report from WHO is from 1/20/20. Nowhere does it say not contagious among humans. The report says it’s actively spreading and knew by 1/7/20 it was coronavirus.

What does this have to do with Trump downplaying it to the public but the same day the administration telling rich donors the opposite.

Regardless the first situation report from WHO is from 1/20/20. Nowhere does it say not contagious among humans. The report says it’s actively spreading and knew by 1/7/20 it was coronavirus.
Yeah...and like why does he keep calling it a Chinese virus!?

Reactions: Random_John
To try and shift the blame for the US not being prepared to China. China obviously has a huge amount of blame for what has happened. However, once we knew it was spreading the administration did not take it seriously quite obviously or at the very least was completely ill prepared to have this country prepped for what to do. Nurses are on social media asking to have friends masks because their hospitals are completely out and they're treating patients with no protection.
Wow...almost verbatim...:)

To try and shift the blame for the US not being prepared to China. China obviously has a huge amount of blame for what has happened. However, once we knew it was spreading the administration did not take it seriously quite obviously or at the very least was completely ill prepared to have this country prepped for what to do. Nurses are on social media asking to have friends masks because their hospitals are completely out and they're treating patients with no protection.

Actually, China is running a propaganda campaign with the rest of the world trying to blame the virus on the USA. They have printed literature is something like 30 languages to try and shift the blame off of them. They have threatened to not ship drugs if they do not get an apology from the US and have demanded the rest of the world thank China for showing the world how to handle the virus. He is using his platform to send China a message.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i...he-us-for-the-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-03-15

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...ng_point_for_china_globalization__142686.html

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
Actually, China is running a propaganda campaign with the rest of the world trying to blame the virus on the USA. They have printed literature is something like 30 languages to try and shift the blame off of them. They have threatened to not ship drugs if they do not get an apology from the US and have demanded the rest of the world thank China for showing the world how to handle the virus. He is using his platform to send China a message.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i...he-us-for-the-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-03-15

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...ng_point_for_china_globalization__142686.html
How exactly does it send a message to China? Did China not know the virus originated in China? Does the rest of the world think it’s some secret US bioweapon that we used to infect ourselves?

His own team wrote coronavirus for him and he’s purposely changing it to China virus. This is not some coordinated administration effort to send a message.

Reactions: Buck-I-Nole
To shift gears. Once we bail out the airlines always remember that "United Breaks Guitars"

How exactly does it send a message to China? Did China not know the virus originated in China? Does the rest of the world think it’s some secret US bioweapon that we used to infect ourselves?

His own team wrote coronavirus for him and he’s purposely changing it to China virus. This is not some coordinated administration effort to send a message.

Actually, yes, that is exactly what China is saying. That it was an attack by the Unites States Military.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/13/asia/china-coronavirus-us-lijian-zhao-intl-hnk/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/world/asia/coronavirus-china-conspiracy-theory.html

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
Fox News is a right wing news channel didn’t realize that is a controversial opinion?

I am not going to get drawn into a political debate with you. You have made up your mind so there is no use. I provided you plenty of information from varied sources, liberal and conservative.

Myself and my family has been severely impacted by this moment in time. I am looking for an exchange of information rather than a political debate.

Saw this on another forum. May explain Italy a bit.

"There’s a reason Italy got hit so hard and particularly the north, but you won’t hear it in the mainstream media. From around 2010 Chinese companies started buying Italian fashion houses, not least because the Chinese middle classes so loved the Italian look. They needed to keep the coveted Made in Italy label for their output so, instead of moving factories to China, they moved Chinese workers to Lombardy and Tuscany (centred on Milan and Florence). Google it - New Yorker magazine said there was as many as 20000 in Prato, a tiny town in Tuscany. That was in 2013. There’s as many as 200000 in total in Italy today - possibly a lot more. And the Chinese fashion industry is based guess where? Yep, Wuhan - home of both the companies doing the buying and the cheap workers being shipped to work in sweatshops in Italy. Many would have returned home for Chinese New Year January 25th, just as the virus was ramping up in their home city, and returned with the virus soon after. As stated, you won’t hear this in the mainstream media, so we may not be in for an Italian scale crisis after all - that was due to very particular reasons."

Saw this on another forum. May explain Italy a bit.

"There’s a reason Italy got hit so hard and particularly the north, but you won’t hear it in the mainstream media. From around 2010 Chinese companies started buying Italian fashion houses, not least because the Chinese middle classes so loved the Italian look. They needed to keep the coveted Made in Italy label for their output so, instead of moving factories to China, they moved Chinese workers to Lombardy and Tuscany (centred on Milan and Florence). Google it - New Yorker magazine said there was as many as 20000 in Prato, a tiny town in Tuscany. That was in 2013. There’s as many as 200000 in total in Italy today - possibly a lot more. And the Chinese fashion industry is based guess where? Yep, Wuhan - home of both the companies doing the buying and the cheap workers being shipped to work in sweatshops in Italy. Many would have returned home for Chinese New Year January 25th, just as the virus was ramping up in their home city, and returned with the virus soon after. As stated, you won’t hear this in the mainstream media, so we may not be in for an Italian scale crisis after all - that was due to very particular reasons."

That is really interesting....the Italy spread is puzzling at best, notwithstanding the age and smoking stats we’ve seen....thank you.

Surely the density of many Italian cities/large towns is also a factor. People are right on top of each other in those old cities. Outside of a few larger US cities I don’t think many places here could match density like that.

Surely the density of many Italian cities/large towns is also a factor. People are right on top of each other in those old cities. Outside of a few larger US cities I don’t think many places here could match density like that.
Yep.

Sorry for late response...I haven't been on the boards much. The January 15 report from The Who that the disease was not contagious among humans slowed down what should have been done (closing border with China) by two weeks. And reports after January 15 that it actually was contagious caused massive uncertainty....at the time of the impeachment proceedings. No excuses...just stating what was going on at the time.

The report yesterday that two Republican Senators on the intelligence committee dumped stock in mid Feb. after hearing a report about the virus may lead to their conviction of insider trading....and a tremendous loss of confidence of the voters when it is needed most.

Nothing matters at this time...we have to get through this...which we can't if voters lose trust...but the post mortem when this is over will exceed the mea culpas after 9/11.

Reactions: MoreToPrideNole850
Despite all of the measures the US (and the entire world is taking) we’re gonna have around 50,000 deaths in 2020 probably. Fauci says 100-200k will die but from my own research combined with talking to some very, very smart friends we’re expecting it to be around 50,000 if we keep social distancing, businesses closed etc. through at least April.

That could go down some (not a lot) if the drugs like HCL/chloroquine prove to be more effective than expected or if a vaccine comes out earlier than expected.

If none of these drastic measures were taken and life just went on as normal we would’ve lost at least a million if not many more.

So does anyone still think this is “just the flu”?

Just read this entire thread. I am appalled at the flippant, dismissive reactions by many with regard to the threat of this virus. But, I'm not surprised. Lot of selfishness and pride about just how different America is compared to the rest of the world

Just read this entire thread. I am appalled at the flippant, dismissive reactions by many with regard to the threat of this virus. But, I'm not surprised. Lot of selfishness and pride about just how different America is compared to the rest of the world
Be careful not to hurt yourself when you get down off of your high horse

So that's your reaction? You don't consider this thread to be a sad state of affairs?
No I don't. I take it for what it is. Some folks posting on a sports website, that are bored, because there are no sports.
There seems to me, more people taking the mitigation steps more seriously, than when this thread started.
I also see some people that consider themselves a little smarter and enlightened than most other folks. Those people seldom miss an opportunity to talk down to others, and show everyone how smart they think they are

Reactions: F4Gary
No I don't. I take it for what it is. Some folks posting on a sports website, that are bored, because there are no sports.
There seems to me, more people taking the mitigation steps more seriously, than when this thread started.
I also see some people that consider themselves a little smarter and enlightened than most other folks. Those people seldom miss an opportunity to talk down to others, and show everyone how smart they think they are
I think the second part of your statement needs context. When people make unsubstantiated claims (i.e. it is hysteria, it is no worse than the flu) then people take exception and point out the lunacy of it.

Sadly, there are already over 3000 newly confirmed deaths today, at it is only a little past noon on the east coast. Previous high for deaths in a single day was yesterday with 3708

I think the second part of your statement needs context. When people make unsubstantiated claims (i.e. it is hysteria, it is no worse than the flu) then people take exception and point out the lunacy of it.
Here's the thing Ma'am, it's generally more effective to accomplish something without being hysterical.

:mad: Yeah. Okay.

Sadly, there are already over 3000 newly confirmed deaths today, at it is only a little past noon on the east coast. Previous high for deaths in a single day was yesterday with 3708
We, the American people, HAVE been informed that these next two weeks will be tough sledding, with expected spikes in the numbers. And that IF we have practiced social distancing as stressed, there will be a slow (but steady) decline in the number of infections after that.
We live in a free society, however. Those who ignore the advice of our leaders and our expert advisers are the Achilles heel, sadly. And they can also be the price we pay for the society we live in.

Reactions: Random_John
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT