ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else worried about coronavirus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Causing problems for the NCAA Tournament? Some college players association is already asking for the games to be played with no crowds. Could you even imagine?

And if the US outbreak starts to resemble Italy’s in the next couple weeks I could see them not playing the games at all out of an abundance of caution.

Maybe I should be more concerned than I am about the virus itself killing me or others but for right now... March Madness is my top priority.

Anyone else concerned?

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

What media has been treating is as a walking dead scenario? The majority of media I see in the US is preaching caution, wash your hands, be on guard. The actual medical professionals are providing solid information.

I feel like this idea the media is warning of armageddon is being fueled by groupthink to hate the media because we've been conditioned to lately.

PobapKa.png

CC1Du09.png
8OKCSwg.png

Reactions: QuaZ2002
Thanks for the chart and screenshots. One thing... If this thing spread to MILLIONS of people, the % will still be low, but absolute numbers very high. On top of the numbers you posted. Can the health care system handle it?

Thanks for sharing this info. That website is very cool.

Except it’s not even remotely accurate. Maybe 56 deaths/day if you date back to the start of the outbreak but that’s growing exponentially every day. There were 250 deaths and 3500 new cases in Italy Friday alone. Until every country is locked down for weeks, if not months that number is gonna keep growing every day.

Reactions: FreeNole
Except it’s not even remotely accurate. Maybe 56 deaths/day if you date back to the start of the outbreak but that’s growing exponentially every day. There were 250 deaths and 3500 new cases in Italy Friday alone. Until every country is locked down for weeks, if not months that number is gonna keep growing every day.

Now literally minutes after I posted that they posted their numbers for yesterday...

The same will be happening here very soon.

@SamENole, is there a current breakdown of the deaths toll by age bracket?

Edit - quick math is a 7% death rate, ONLY based on the reported numbers. That's just brutal.

Last edited:

Edit - quick math is a 7% death rate, ONLY based on the reported numbers. That's just brutal.
Iran is reporting a lot more deaths for those under 40 but that’s the only country I’ve seen it.

Reactions: Random_John

I have a feeling that this is grossly under reported in the US. Many of mild cases are such that people would not have missed a day of, that is until last week. I think there have been tens of thousands infected and unreported.

I have a feeling that this is grossly under reported in the US. Many of mild cases are such that people would not have missed a day of, that is until last week. I think there have been tens of thousands infected and unreported.

I believe the denominator is significantly underreported, so yeah, I get it. I'm more curious of the death breakdown, that's all.

This is a couple days old before their deaths skyrocketed recently...

And while the elderly are the ones dying, this is a great breakdown of who’s actually spreading it. South Korea is testing all ages while Italy (like the US) is really only testing older people.

So 20-30 year olds are spreading it while not even knowing they have it, or at least have very minimal symptoms.

Reactions: mjpwooo
Ohio restaurants and bars are closed as of 9pm outside of delivery and takeout. I suspect we’ll see the rest of the country do the same in the next week or so.

The number of cases will go up as more test kits are issued and used on healthy people. It takes about 2-3 weeks to "close" a case of someone who is tested and is infected. For example, at this moment, the US has 3773 cases, of which 69 have died and only 73 have been deemed recovered. Of the remaining active cases, 93% are deemed minor. As time goes on, the amount of recoveries will greatly exceed deaths. If the virus doesn't keep spreading.

But will we know that the virus is actually spreading? In other words, we don't know if the "surge" in new cases are really "new" because we don't know when contraction occurred. The "surge" will be impacted by doing more testing...and a lot of that will happen in the US this week. So get ready.

Former head of the FDA, Scott Gottlieb, on CNBC this morning said a likely timeline is the peak would come at the end of April and would taper down in May, June, July and August. He also said if we do not have “new tools” to deal with this by Fall, we will be right back where we are.

So, if crowds are suppose to be 50 or less, why couldn't the basketball tournament, or other college sports, been postponed? I'm not being flippant, or sarcastic.

I think you could have a college (or NBA) game with about 50 people....

So, if crowds are suppose to be 50 or less, why couldn't the basketball tournament, or other college sports, been postponed? I'm not being flippant, or sarcastic.

I think you could have a college (or NBA) game with about 50 people....
I think that went out the window when Gobert tested positive. Players coming in contact with too many people and then passing it along to each other, coaches, staff, etc. Might’ve had a chance prior to that.

Reactions: goldmom
Vaccine testing is starting this morning.
There are up to 30 anti-viral S already on the market which have had some degree of efficacy in treatment, but this is the first of many attempts already in the works for a vaccine.

Reactions: MagNoleA
The President press conference today said that we are looking at a timeline of July or August. For the first time I am starting to doubt if we will have a football season.

Last edited:
My daughter is the Director of Communications for a school district in Florida. The word they got today is that the state of Florida is at least considering not having public schools finish the school year. I'm not sure if that would apply to colleges and universities or not. But I don't see how it would work even for K-12 schools. Again, no one is saying this is happening, only that it is being considered.

They’ll see how it goes for school. If everyone actually quarantined themselves it would likely level off. Italy had the same number of new cases 3 days in a row which is a good sign.

Reactions: FSUDoles
My question is, what happens after this thing slows and restrictions are lifted? Does it just flame back up again?

My question is, what happens after this thing slows and restrictions are lifted? Does it just flame back up again?

I have been wondering the same thing. The WSJ is reporting today that places like Taiwan and Singapore, who were thought to have successfully contained the virus and lifted restrictions are seeing a resurgence.

They'll probably keep them in place until it gets hot throughout the country when these type of viruses normally go away. Do it slowly and see what happens and make decisions based on it.

Dr Antony Fauci confirmed the first humans were given the vaccine yesterday. But then said that the FDA process is to wait one year and monitor for adverse affects before approving its use. I do not think we can wait that long. The entire world will be unemployed if we do.

Probably not too bad of numbers considering we have a much larger population base than Italy. It appears the steps we are taking are helping.
Our issue is that we can't effectively test still. Our numbers are much higher than what is reported we just can't test for it yet. This also means the death % is lower.

Our issue is that we can't effectively test still. Our numbers are much higher than what is reported we just can't test for it yet. This also means the death % is lower.

But that is an unknown variable that Italy has/had as well.

True but we have a much larger population

cases / population of Italy vs cases / population of US

2502 / 60 million vs 2836 / 327 million

We don't know how many infected are not counted but one can not assume our population increase constitutes an equal increase in non counted infected. Looking at populations density there is a far greater potential of non counted infected in Italy at this point.

US: 92.9 people per square mile

Italy: 532 people per square mile

Reactions: PopsNole
cases / population of Italy vs cases / population of US

2502 / 60 million vs 2836 / 327 million

We don't know how many infected are not counted but one can not assume our population increase constitutes an equal increase in non counted infected. Looking at populations density there is a far greater potential of non counted infected in Italy at this point.

US: 92.9 people per square mile

Italy: 532 people per square mile

Good information. Also consider the average of a citizen in Italy is 9 years older than in the US. And the social practice of kissing others when saying hello and good bye.

Does anyone have a link about what the expectation for containment is post lock down? I can't find one. I keep hearing that we need to lock down which I agree with. It just sounds pie in the sky to me.

I understand throwing a hay-maker at this thing and staying inside but then what? If it is still out there what then? We can't stay locked down forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT