ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone else worried about coronavirus...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks to be on the table if there is a coronavirus outbreak as contingency. Something else I seen talked about was to hold the tournament but with no fans in the stands.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/03/ncaa-tournament-coronavirus/

Keyword is “if”. However sounds like the Washington Post is putting out:

Clickbait-Fake-News.jpg

The new virus was first detected in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December 2019 and has since spread globally. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, these first reported cases had links to a live animal market, suggesting the outbreak started from animal-to-person spread.

Coronaviruses are responsible for two other recent outbreaks: the 2003 SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) outbreak and the 2012 MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) outbreak.
As of today since December of 2019

China Whanhu 80,000 cases 3039 deaths
USA 105 cases 10 deaths 6 of Those over 70 instate Washington Assisted living 85 of the cases are travel connected out of country

Claimed 2% mortality rate just like the flu, and its already spread way more than being reported, and we don’t even have the amount of tests needed right now because they screwed up the manufacturing process of the first round of tests. Does anyone doubt that Atlanta and Miami international airport have had Corona Virus pass through those airports?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/miami....mi-woman-allegedly-denied-proper-testing/amp/

If you don’t want to go Tampa to watch March madness I will gladly take your ticket donation.

Reactions: Backinday
Major companies like Apple are canceling all work travel.

Schools all over are canceling study abroad and spring break stuff.

I don’t panic but I’m at the law school advocacy center now coaching a moot court team, and they’re legit talking about maybe not being able to go to NYC next week because they may cancel.

No doubt we need calm. But with the level of infectiousness (especially the degree to which it can be transmitted by folks with NO symptoms and the time this bug sits around) we are likely to see a lot of stuff coming to keep crowds from spreading this thing.

I live in New York and commute to the city everyday. Perhaps it won't be as bad in places where people commute in cars but here 99% of people commute via some form of communal transportation (or even the streets in rush hour are incredibly crowded). In one of the neighboring towns to mine, they have closed one school already and it looks like they will be closing one more. People may not die but the spread will continue to get worse and worse because no one is testing for it. Thus, people are commuting to work and being at work while be contagious.

When Ford Motor Company cancels all travel (domestic and international), JP Morgan is testing its systems for remote access, etc., it is no joke. I have been in the city since September 11th and we have never prepared like this at any place I have worked. And, I work at a different large investment bank where we are testing our remote systems with the expectation people will have to use them. There are members of investment teams who traveled for February break (a northern thing) and are now stuck in a 14 day home quarantine based on where they went.

Now, think about all of the people continuing to fly all over the country after being in a city like Seattle, New York, etc. The only reason you are not hearing about it more is due to lack of accessibility to testing. Again, hopefully, there are not deaths but there will be disruptions to markets and life generally.

The media will decide. They keep blowing this out of proportion like they have and yes it be.......they realize this is a slightly worse than flu, and we survive like we did the last several apocalypse....SARS, avian flu, Ebola, blah, blah, blah... like I said at the grocery store today....see you at the next apocalypse;)
Wish I could like this 1000x.

Reactions: Sawyer55
I guess there will be plenty of elbow room at the Craps table when I’m in Vegas for the first weekend of March Madness. So, I’ve got that going for me.

if your lungs and immune system are healthy your chances of death are slim, very slim
That isn’t the only issue. We need to stop the spread of this. We don’t just write off the weak, do we? Putting thousands of people from all over in enclosed spaces and sending them back around could be an issue if the virus is totally out there.

On the topic of playing games without fans... I believe there are currently baseball games being played in the Asia pacific region employing this exact tactic. Keeps the season moving along without putting the community at risk.

Think we are still far away from this scenario domestically but a precedent has been set.

The crowd was pretty light yesterday at Epcot. I'm liking this hyperbolic overreaction thing a little more.

Italy just announced all games for at least the next month will take place without crowds. They had the virus hit about 7-10 days before we did.

If this is what the NCAA does it will be beyond brutal.

It’s a problem but is it the walking dead scanario being painted by some in media

I pray not but only time will tells

The biggest issue we have is that we don't know know what we are dealing with. The testing kits are being distributed, but not widely available yet. The criteria for testing remains narrow due to the limited number of kits available (and limited number of tests each kit can perform).

You could argue that the reaction in Italy is an over reaction, they are testing at a much higher rate than we are in the US. And even at over 3,000 infected and 107 dead that is a small percentage of the 60+ million who live there.

We don't know how many are infected here, but I feel confident saying it is higher than the 157 cases being reported. And those that are not identified are probably spreading it further.

Reactions: Nolesrule
The biggest issue we have is that we don't know know what we are dealing with. The testing kits are being distributed, but not widely available yet. The criteria for testing remains narrow due to the limited number of kits available (and limited number of tests each kit can perform).

You could argue that the reaction in Italy is an over reaction, they are testing at a much higher rate than we are in the US. And even at over 3,000 infected and 107 dead that is a small percentage of the 60+ million who live there.

We don't know how many are infected here, but I feel confident saying it is higher than the 157 cases being reported. And those that are not identified are probably spreading it further.
That’s exactly my thinking. I hope it’s not a huge deal. I really do. And it may not he. But so far what we’re seeing about this isn’t good. Mortality numbers are all over. But transmission risk appears to have been established and it’s bad. This isn’t all about any of us getting it. It’s about whether we can stop it from infecting a high percentage of the world population, in which case a half percent is really bad and 3-4% catastrophic.

It’s a problem but is it the walking dead scanario being painted by some in media

I pray not but only time will tells

What media has been treating is as a walking dead scenario? The majority of media I see in the US is preaching caution, wash your hands, be on guard. The actual medical professionals are providing solid information.

I feel like this idea the media is warning of armageddon is being fueled by groupthink to hate the media because we've been conditioned to lately.

Has anything actually been released that shows the statistics by age group of those who have died? Not sure we’ll get that out of China.

I know this 3% number thrown around could be high, but if this thing is really only affecting old people or those with existing health issues then it isn’t nearly as bad as it’s being made out to be.

Has anything actually been released that shows the statistics by age group of those who have died? Not sure we’ll get that out of China.

I know this 3% number thrown around could be high, but if this thing is really only affecting old people or those with existing health issues then it isn’t nearly as bad as it’s being made out to be.

Yeah, doesnt affect me since Im not old so who cares right?

The media will decide. They keep blowing this out of proportion like they have and yes it be.......they realize this is a slightly worse than flu, and we survive like we did the last several apocalypse....SARS, avian flu, Ebola, blah, blah, blah... like I said at the grocery store today....see you at the next apocalypse;)
Sorry, but it is WAY worse than the flu. Death rates from the flu are about .1%, death rates from this are currently 3.4%. Of course this is subject to change, but right now, IMO, this is going to end up to be somewhere between 'bad' and 'really, really bad.' :~( And the reason I say this is because I have spent a good amount of time over the last couple of months reading articles by reputable epidimeologists and other 'scientifical' :~) people. PLEASE do your own research, and then decide for yourself.... but it's FAR better, IMO, to be 'overprepared' than 'underprepared.' Just sayin'....

This is a very interesting thread on many levels...
Some of it reminds me of a podcast on Big Picture Science about over-confidence, how its human nature to assume superiority of judgement regardless of level of knowledge and experience. Of course I'm better than that.

Sorry, but it is WAY worse than the flu. Death rates from the flu are about .1%, death rates from this are currently 3.4%. Of course this is subject to change, but right now, IMO, this is going to end up to be somewhere between 'bad' and 'really, really bad.' :~( And the reason I say this is because I have spent a good amount of time over the last couple of months reading articles by reputable epidimeologists and other 'scientifical' :~) people. PLEASE do your own research, and then decide for yourself.... but it's FAR better, IMO, to be 'overprepared' than 'underprepared.' Just sayin'....
Even the hill is reporting the death rate will lower. Relax....not saying not to prepare, but this panic for less than 3.4% is laughable......appreciated from an investment standpoint, laughable otherwise.

Totally media driven hype...this will be a non story by this time next week

Why is the stock market up +868.36 (3.42%) today. Nothing has changed. All hype.

These are not aging well.

I think it’s > 50% all of the NCAA Tournament games are played without crowds. And at least 75-% the Sweet 16 and Final 4 games are.

Matt Gaetz announced via Twitter he was in contact at CPAC with the person who tested positive. He said he’s been tested and is waiting the results but is doing the 14 day self-quarantine.

This is after he mocked the virus with a gas mask on the House floor.

And a white house reporter just confirmed on twitter Gaetz was on Air Force one with trump about an hour ago.

What a mess.

They just cancelled the American Academy of Dermatology annual meeting in Denver scheduled later this month.

Reactions: Random_John
Here is a very good explanation of why actions such as limiting gatherings are taking place, through math. If you don't have the patience to view the whole video (it is worth the time) at least skip to the 7 minute mark and watch to the end. It explains the actions that are being taken.

One of the better lines from the video, "When no one is worried, that's when you should worry"

FSU is going to online classes after break and FAMU has announced the Spring Game will be without fans. NCAA games in Cleveland and Dayton will have no fans. That is as of today.

I think it's highly likely that they cancel or play all NCAA tourney games without fans. Right or wrong, I think that happens.

Funny thing is if all this works and things slow down and we see this die out relatively soon, most will complain this was not needed. But it may be what gets us there.

I understand why sporting events and community gatherings are being cancelled. I do not quite understand the logic behind shutting down a school.

If we already have an existing cluster, why are we breaking it up and sending it elsewhere. If we knew which were infected an which were not okay, but this action potentially just infects new clusters. Especially if this happens everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT