ADVERTISEMENT

Arrest made in FSU Law Prof Dan Markel murder case

Whether or not she is innocent, I finally read about everything she did to Markel before and after she left him, and what she has done since he was murdered. She sounds evil. She wants to erase any memory of Markel that her kids may have.
She is an amazingly evil woman for how she treated him before, and what she did after his death. The changing of the kids names?! un-fn-believable.

Last edited:
She is an amazingly evil woman for how she treated him before, and what she did after his death. The changing of the kids names?! un-fn-believable.

I feel like I need to take a hot shower after I read anything associated with the suspects involved in this fine matter.

Reactions: ericram
So according to her lawyer, she is proven innocent because:
She can sue people for libel
She talked to investigators
She blogged and podcasted about the case

What, exactly, are his credentials? Isn't he in the same scummy profession as guys like Johnnie Cochrane, F. Lee Bailey and other known hucksters? Wouldn't wager much on the accuracy or legitimacy of anything said by any criminal defense hack.

At least Willie Meggs has retired. I just wonder if his office devoted the same zeal to this case that they have, historically, to harassing FSU football players??

Sounds like a prosecutor who doesn't have anything. Why even say any of that? What's the purpose. I feel like this case will never truly be solved. If it does, sure I'll be pleasantly surprised. I just do not foresee the resolution we all want to see.

The main question I have is how has the court not gotten out of KM who's paying her bills. Is it really hard to get that information? Can't anyone simply "follow the money?"

Wife crazy. Greedy. Did you see the divorce settlement? She ransacks the house, takes a huge amount of assets and he has to pay her an additional 120k and 900 a month in perpetuity despite her being a lawyer, and. gainfully employed because of him.

They get 50/50 custody but somehow she's allowed to keep lying about where the kids are. He files a motion for supervised visits with grandparents after his kids tell him grandma says he is stupid. And he's dead before the motion can be ruled on.

Oh yeah and she changes the kids names just as she foreshadows in her narcissistic fantasy book.

My question is why would the 3 who are in jail right now just not roll on the ones who will get away? That I do not understand but then I'm not a criminal like that. My crimes are things like speeding.

What do the people behind bars gain by not rolling on the masterminds? Why can't the prosecutors find out who is paying the bills?

My question is why would the 3 who are in jail right now just not roll on the ones who will get away? That I do not understand but then I'm not a criminal like that. My crimes are things like speeding.

What do the people behind bars gain by not rolling on the masterminds? Why can't the prosecutors find out who is paying the bills?

The Adelson family has to have something to keep the 3 in jail quiet.

Wealthy sure. Bernie Madoff was wealthy and he too was eventually caught. This just doesn't sit well with me because the prosecutors bluster with no action. I am too ignorant to understand what is happening here.

Some info and updates on one of the trials starting today.

http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Trial-delayed-for-accused-triggerman-in-Markel-murder-397321961.html

Still cannot believe none of the Adelsons have been arrested. None of these three arrested had any reason to kill Dan. They are all tied to the Adelsons and to S. FL.

Meggs was mighty busy with the important Dalvin Cook prosecution, and in holding other FSU athletes to his subjective "higher standard." Can't really expect him focus too much time on homicide cases, right? The fact that Meggs holds 2 degrees from FSU is possibly our university's most embarrassing fact.

At this point I can't see the Adelson's being arrested. I feel like if that was something that was going to happen it's something that already would have happened. We're on, what, three years now? This case seems like it's toast.

At this point I can't see the Adelson's being arrested. I feel like if that was something that was going to happen it's something that already would have happened. We're on, what, three years now? This case seems like it's toast.
Which doesn't make sense as these dumb ass criminals have no motive to kill Markel.

My guess is Garcia's gang is paying the legal fees. The State has tipped its hand that it has no real proof against the Adelsons, but that it desperately wants it. By refusing to talk even in exchange for immunity, that allows for Garcia to cut a deal, also. Her and Garcia are going to negotiate as one and demand that she get immunity and Garcia gets something as well. She's loyal to Garcia--I'll give her that much. Of course, if the State refuses to blink and throw a bone to Garcia, she may reconsider that immunity offer on the eve of her trial.

Very interesting case this has hooked me in like the Adnan Syed case. I'm sure books and films will be made over this one.

Based on the affidavit details, IMO the police have enough to nail the middleman/woman and the 2 gangster thugs who actually pulled the hit.

KM refusing immunity is insane. Why would she go to prison for the rest of her life for an ex boyfriend? Makes zero sense, especially since her messages to him are mostly about getting more money or more cars out of him. Why would a money hungry whore risk a lifetime in prison for this guy?

Can the prosecutors convict her first, then talk to her again before sentencing and agree to put in for a reduced sentence is she cooperates? This woman just doesn't seem to be in reality and it might take a judge to sentence her to life in prison before she realizes how much of a good deal she just passed up.

Convicting any of the Adelsons will be tougher, even if KM cooperates. They need to nail down the money better. Right now they can show some low dollar checks for a few hundred that DA wrote to KM, but the defense can effectively write that off as a salaried employee. The real heavy cash deposits to KM's account haven't been traced to the Adelsons (as far as we know), and the police have to fix that problem before they can pursue any of them. Based on the affidavit, it appears that there is no smoking gun 100k cash deposit or withdrawal, it looks like the Adelsons were smart and broke it up into very small increments over a year or more to draw less suspicion.

As for KM's defense money, the defense attorneys claim it is coming from family members. Depending on the size of her family, that seems semi plausible to me but only if they are putting up cars, houses, and other large assets spread across many family members.

The judge said there's no nefarious activity in KM's defense payments. That may be true, but how would the judge know? Since the judge hasn't allowed the prosecutors to investigate that, I'm curious as to how he could ascertain that KM's family is not receiving support from the Adelsons. Does the judge have his own investigative team breaking down bank accounts from all of KM's family? I doubt it.

This is a fascinating case.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Very interesting case this has hooked me in like the Adnan Syed case. I'm sure books and films will be made over this one.

Based on the affidavit details, IMO the police have enough to nail the middleman/woman and the 2 gangster thugs who actually pulled the hit.

KM refusing immunity is insane. Why would she go to prison for the rest of her life for an ex boyfriend? Makes zero sense, especially since her messages to him are mostly about getting more money or more cars out of him. Why would a money hungry whore risk a lifetime in prison for this guy?

Can the prosecutors convict her first, then talk to her again before sentencing and agree to put in for a reduced sentence is she cooperates? This woman just doesn't seem to be in reality and it might take a judge to sentence her to life in prison before she realizes how much of a good deal she just passed up.

Convicting any of the Adelsons will be tougher, even if KM cooperates. They need to nail down the money better. Right now they can show some low dollar checks for a few hundred that DA wrote to KM, but the defense can effectively write that off as a salaried employee. The real heavy cash deposits to KM's account haven't been traced to the Adelsons (as far as we know), and the police have to fix that problem before they can pursue any of them. Based on the affidavit, it appears that there is no smoking gun 100k cash deposit or withdrawal, it looks like the Adelsons were smart and broke it up into very small increments over a year or more to draw less suspicion.

As for KM's defense money, the defense attorneys claim it is coming from family members. Depending on the size of her family, that seems semi plausible to me but only if they are putting up cars, houses, and other large assets spread across many family members.

The judge said there's no nefarious activity in KM's defense payments. That may be true, but how would the judge know? Since the judge hasn't allowed the prosecutors to investigate that, I'm curious as to how he could ascertain that KM's family is not receiving support from the Adelsons. Does the judge have his own investigative team breaking down bank accounts from all of KM's family? I doubt it.

This is a fascinating case.

Maybe the judge is being paid off.

Hard to believe these people will not take a plea deal and roll over on the murder for hire Adelsons!
http://abovethelaw.com/2017/07/the-dan-markel-case-katherine-magbanua-turns-down-a-deal/

Interesting article. Intones that the Circuit Court Judge's "inquiry" into the payment-of-fees issue may have been um, er, well, "incomplete." Who knows?

The idea that some hooligans from South Florida wandered up to Tallahassee and committed a miscellaneous murder -- against a complete stranger, no less -- obviously makes no sense. The reality here is that the well-heeled defense attorneys are whipping the dim-witted and overworked prosecutors, which, unfortunately, is the way these things frequently play out.

So much time has passed that I think the Adelsons could pretty easily show "reasonable doubt" even if they are now charged. At this point, the state needs some incredible evidentiary discovery to convict them. Great job, Meggs.

Reactions: Mugsy101
Just catching up on the case after a while... It is very surprising to me that the SA would offer Magbanua immunity. It seems obvious that she was heavily involved as the go between in the murder case. I guess that is the price to pay to get the Adelsons who are ultimately responsible for the murder but what a price to pay.

The only thing I can think of that would prevent Magbanua from taking the immunity deal is the old tried and true "snitches get stitches" policy... Not so much from the Adelsons as from Garcia who is a known gang member. Perhaps being immune from prosecution doesn't mean as much when you could be killed for talking...

I'm speculating here, obviously, but that is one of the only logical reasons that spring to mind for her turning down a full immunity deal.

The other is that the Adelsons have secretly agreed to take care of Magbanua's children in perpetuity...

I'm still hoping that one of them cooperates and we find out the full details of what happened.

As a side note I'm surprised Wendy Adelson is getting quoted in the newspaper. I know she has to keep living her life but I would have assumed that she would want to stay off the radar at least while this story is still in the media.

SFNole

Blah blah blah.... Get the real killers!

Seems almost desperate. This felon-squealing-on-felon recipe usually isn't very effective. Here, the "admission" seems fairly generic, and it does not directly implicate the Adelsons (or anyone else, for that matter). As usually happens in these matters, well-represented defendants have simply outwitted the doltish prosecutors. Not that outwitting Willie Meggs and his cohorts would be hard to do. This case was bungled long ago, under Meggs' leadership, while he was preoccupied with the absurd Dalvin Cook non-case and other silliness.

I feel the longer this goes that the masterminds behind all of this will get off Scott free. I say this because the conspirators have not been arrested. There is a difference between implication and incarceration. If the prosecutors don't have anything now I don't believe there is reason to believe something magical will come along and lock down the master minds.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
I feel the longer this goes that the masterminds behind all of this will get off Scott free. I say this because the conspirators have not been arrested. There is a difference between implication and incarceration. If the prosecutors don't have anything now I don't believe there is reason to believe something magical will come along and lock down the master minds.
Sadly this is true. Hard to believe these "master minds" are going to get off Scott free with murder. I will await the made for tv movie.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT