ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant coach Travis Wilson earns degree from FSU

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

In 13 seasons as an assistant coach for the Florida State softball team, Travis Wilson has been one of the most successful assistant coaches in the country. Wilson has been a part of nine ACC Championships, five Women's College World Series appearances and one National Championship (2018). He has helped take Florida State softball to a whole new level under coach Lonni Alameda. But on Friday, Wilson achieved what he called "one of the hardest things I've ever done" - receive a college degree.

A native of New Zealand, Wilson graduated high school in December 1995 and began college at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand. Shortly after, Wilson signed with the Atlanta Braves organization and made his way to the United States, where he played eight Minor League seasons until 2004. Wilson then jumped between New Zealand and the United States playing professional softball while also working with the New Zealand Cricket Association. Wilson always wanted to get into the coaching ranks of college softball. There was just one problem.

"I had looked at a number of college softball jobs online, but the first line always read, 'need a college degree.' I never applied to them because of that," Wilson said.

Wilson stated that he felt lost on what to do with his career. Coaching in college softball seemed unlikely. Then Wilson got his break. Coach Alameda reached out to Wilson and wanted him to join her staff.

Following the 2018 National Championship, it was suggested to Wilson that it may be time to pursue a college degree with the way the landscape of college softball was heading. Wilson was reluctant at first but still decided to enroll in Tallahassee Community College in the summer of 2018. Taking anywhere from six to 13 credit hours a semester and eventually enrolling at Florida State, Wilson earned his degree in Interdisciplinary Social Sciences.

With a wife and two kids as well as being on the staff of one of the top softball programs in the country, the grind of earning a college degree was all but easy.

"It is without a doubt one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life," Wilson said. "At times I felt like I had way too much on my plate. Many times I did not think I was being the best dad, coach or student I could be. I was pulled in so many different directions, but I just kept plugging away. My priority was always my players when I was at the field, and my family when I was home."

Wilson would drop off his kids at school at 8 a.m. every morning and head to the softball offices to have a couple of hours of uninterrupted time to work on his schoolwork before players and coaches began to roll in to start the day. The hard work paid off though. In five years, Wilson spotted just one B on his report card while earning A's in the rest of his classes.

Wilson believes that taking classes allowed him to grow closer with his players and those around the program. Wilson was in some of the same classes as players and managers and even took some tips from his fellow classmates.

"The players and student managers around the program were so supportive. Anytime I needed help with technology or needed advice on what was needed for a class, they were always there for me. I had classes with a number of the players, and we got through a lot of the hard times together. I for sure can now appreciate what a student-athlete goes through every day," Wilson said.

The balance of family, coaching and school was never easy. Wilson gives credit to the administration, coaching staff and players for helping him achieve this goal.

"This is a special place here, the people make it what it is. I'd like to thank Lonni Alameda for allowing me the time to do this, Cindy Hartmann for always being so supportive and Charlie Hogan for helping me with my schedule. I'd for sure like to thank all my players for being so understanding and encouraging," Wilson said.

Wilson is able to call himself a dad, a husband, a coach, and a national champion. Now, he can call himself a Florida State alum.

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT