ADVERTISEMENT

Braves 2018

trefeet

Contributor
Oct 5, 2006
no expectations of a winning season here. Actually I think it would be amazing to even finish .500. What say you

Excited to see the progress of the young guys like Albies, Carmargo, Swanson and eventually Acuna.

Not high hopes considering the bullpen situation.

Just curious, The Jays just signed Jaime Garcia (in the last week or so) to essentially be the #5 starter. Since Garcia was with the Braves for much of 2017, I'd like your opinion of him. Does he have anything left? #5 guys often end up as #3s just due to injuries etc. can he handle the "stress" of being a #3 starter or does he not (appear) to have the mental make-up for the part.

tia

Just curious, The Jays just signed Jaime Garcia (in the last week or so) to essentially be the #5 starter. Since Garcia was with the Braves for much of 2017, I'd like your opinion of him. Does he have anything left? #5 guys often end up as #3s just due to injuries etc. can he handle the "stress" of being a #3 starter or does he not (appear) to have the mental make-up for the part.

tia
I thought he was solid. Not an ace but will win a few games. Probably a solid 5th for y’all. Like a 3rd for ATL lol

There was so much bad pitching last season it is hard to recall any shiny moments on the mound.:(

Spring notes: Braves' youth movement on track

By Mark Feinsand MLB.com @feinsand
2:38 PM ET

• TAMPA, Fla. -- The Braves were attached to several free agents this winter, and while they didn't make any big signings, the 2018 season could be an important turning point that allows them to make a big splash in next offseason's mega market.

Unless, of course, they don't need to.

That's what new general manager Alex Anthopoulos is hoping will be the case as he embarks on his first season with the Braves, who possess one of the most talent-rich farm systems in the Majors.

"This is a really critical year for us to find out with so much young talent what we will do going forward and how aggressive we may be in free agency," Anthopoulos said. "The ideal scenario is that these guys emerge, they all take these jobs, run with them and become a part of our core."

With two-time All-Star Freddie Freeman locked in at first base through 2021, the Braves have their franchise player signed for the next four seasons. Joining him in the infield this season will be second-year sensation Ozzie Albies at second base, former No. 1 overall pick Dansby Swanson at shortstop and sophomore Johan Camargo also on the left side of the infield -- though Anthopoulos seems high on Austin Riley (the team's No. 8 prospect according to MLB Pipeline) as a potential option at some point.

"Dansby Swanson at shortstop; everyone knows about Draft status and talent and all of that, but he didn't have the year he's capable of last year," Anthopoulos said. "He'd be the first one to tell you that. Does he take that step and emerge as our shortstop? Johan Camargo, he's got a chance to be that guy. Riley did really well last year and had a good Arizona Fall League; does he become the answer at third base?

"This thing can swing a lot of ways. If the answers are no, maybe it is the free-agent market we jump into; maybe it's going to be trades because we have a ton of young talent that could be currency for guys to fill those spots."

Anthopoulos also mentioned catcher Alex Jackson (the Braves' No. 14 prospect according to MLB Pipeline) as a player who could prove to be important going forward, as both Tyler Flowers and Kurt Suzuki are slated to hit free agency after the upcoming season. And, of course, there's Ronald Acuna Jr., the team's top prospect and MLB Pipeline's No. 2 overall prospect in the game.

In addition to the catchers, the Braves have a plethora of players set to become free agents next fall, including Scott Kazmir, Brandon McCarthy and Nick Markakis, who will make roughly $30 million combined this season.

Acuna is expected to be a foundation at a corner-outfield spot once he reaches the Majors, while lefties Kolby Allard (MLB Pipeline's No. 58 overall prospect) and Luiz Gohara (No. 49) and right-handers Kyle Wright (No. 30) and Mike Soroka (No. 31) and Ian Anderson (No. 51) have a ton of upside on the pitching side.

Freeman, Julio Teheran and Ender Inciarte are the only players with guaranteed money on the books in 2019, earning about $38 million. If the kids take the next step this season, the Braves will have fewer holes to fill from the outside, enabling the club to focus on one or two free agents as it looks to return to the postseason for the first time since 2013.

So what exactly would constitute a significant step forward for the young players?

"I don't know if there are specific expectations rather than the hope and the goal that they just get better," Anthopoulos said. "Whether that's one percent, five percent, 10 percent, you just want them to move forward rather than regressing."

(videos here) https://www.mlb.com/news/braves-prospects-laying-foundation-for-future/c-267818692

Reactions: SoddyNole
Good to read. When they came out and got beat pretty good in the first 3 games I was getting worried. They need to sell tickets.

Good to read. When they came out and got beat pretty good in the first 3 games I was getting worried. They need to sell tickets.

Doubt that is a real issue. Braves revenue increased by 47% last year. Liberty Media is extremely happy with how the Braves are doing.

Doubt that is a real issue. Braves revenue increased by 47% last year. Liberty Media is extremely happy with how the Braves are doing.

I would guess the new park was the main attraction for increased sales even though I did not get a chance to go last season. :( I try to get down there a couple times a year.

I would guess the new park was the main attraction for increased sales even though I did not get a chance to go last season. :( I try to get down there a couple times a year.

Most likely, but as the season record got worse, numbers did not. Ticket sales were up, concessions sales were up, seems like all around went well. Prices are sky high though.

Little to none as long as Liberty Media is in charge. We are still in the same realm as the Rays, Athletics, Mariners et.al. Draft well, develop well, sell to to Yankees, Sox, Cubs, Dodgers. Rinse, repeat
Do you follow baseball? The Braves and Rays aren't in the same stratosphere revenu wise. Braves are solidly middle class and really have no financial constraints to success. The Rays, well, they're the homeless people of baseball. I say this as a beaten down Rays fan.

I have to admit I gave up.

What a great game! F.... the phillies!

Terrible injury luck so far this season with the catchers and it sure looked like Suzuki got hit in a bad spot on the hand. Reminded me of Freddie last season. Good to see Dansby hitting the ball.

Terrible injury luck so far this season with the catchers and it sure looked like Suzuki got hit in a bad spot on the hand. Reminded me of Freddie last season.

Kurt Suzuki hit in hand by pitch, later leaves game

Updated 5 hours ago
By
Kurt Suzuki was hit in the hand by a pitch from Phillies starter NIck Pivetta in the fourth inning of Friday’s game.

Suzuki fell to the ground and stayed down for a moment. After meeting with trainers, he stayed in the game and took first base.

He left the game in the sixth, relieved by Chris Stewart. The Braves went on to lose 5-4 in 11 innings.

“He’s a tough guy,” Braves manager Brian Snitker said. “It just wasn’t going to work. We’re going to look at him again tomorrow. He got bruised up pretty good. They’re going to check him out again in the morning.

“I think we’ll know more tomorrow, whether or not he needs (a stint on disabled list). It’s probably iffy if he’ll be available tomorrow. We may have to do something. When those things get that swollen, they can’t see them right off the bat. We’ll evaluate him in the morning and see where he’s at.”

The Braves are already a catcher short after putting Tyler Flowers on the disabled list. A healthy Suzuki would assume the bulk of work. Stewart serves as the backup, while Charlie Culberson and Ryan Flaherty are emergency options.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball...ch-stays-game/wdwXZejZ2YZfHNnDrGk2ZI/new.html

Reactions: SoddyNole
Did you notice the Braves are off Sunday? Here’s the last time it happened.

By
  • David Wellham, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

You may have noticed that the Braves have a scheduled day off Sunday and thought that seemed unusual.

If you wondered how long it’s been since that happened, the answer is 85 years.

The Braves haven’t had a regularly scheduled Sunday off since May 21, 1933. That year, the Boston Braves had a weekend series at the Pirates, but it was a time when Pennsylvania laws mandated that no games could be played on Sundays, so the Braves knew entering the season that they couldn’t play that day. The law was repealed later that year. (Thanks to the Braves’ media-relations staff for their research.)

There have been rainouts that cost teams Sunday games. There was the aftermath of the World Trade Center attacks in New York when all major league games were cancelled Sunday, Sept. 16, 2001. But excluding seasons when a few teams opened on a Sunday and the Braves didn’t open till a day or two later, in no year since 1933 have the Braves looked at their schedule before a season began and seen a Sunday off.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball...other-tidbits/60lhX8QSFW8r5vfDwFrmeI/new.html

Sheesh! The Catcher position is taking a brutal hit to start the season. Let's hope the new guys platooning can do an admirable job in the meantime.

Haven't heard an update on Suzuki, hopefully it's not too serious and he's back before Flowers.

Did anyone watch the game yesterday? Under scoring plays in the box score it says;
Flaherty scored on Montero's passed ball.

I'm pretty sure he was on second base after a double. You don't see many runs scored from second on a passed ball.

Did anyone watch the game yesterday? Under scoring plays in the box score it says;
Flaherty scored on Montero's passed ball.

I'm pretty sure he was on second base after a double. You don't see many runs scored from second on a passed ball.

The pitcher has to stay in the game on a passed ball and cover the plate. I thought the Nats played pretty poorly over all in that series. I think it was the curse of Joe Simpson bragging so much about them the other night, lol. Hopefully we see some improvement in our starting rotation and the Braves continue to show the ability to compete with any teams this season.

I learned this morning that Preston Tucker played for my old high school in Tampa, Plant. Then found out he was a gate.
So, screw him, I guess.

:D:D:D:D:D
:(:(

Braves' bats keep rolling, spoil Rockies' opener

DENVER -- It's too early to accurately project whether the success will extend over 162 games, but the earliest portion of the season has given the Braves reason to believe they are capable of becoming one of this year's biggest surprises.

"Guys can start believing in themselves," Braves manager Brian Snitker said. "We didn't know coming in what to expect. It's a short sample right now. But guys should feel good about the way they're playing because they're playing the game and having fun doing it."

Coming off series wins against the Nationals and Phillies, the Braves entered a frigid Coors Field on Friday afternoon and remained hot during an 8-3 win. Dansby Swanson fueled the team's latest offensive eruption with his latest three-hit game, and Brandon McCarthy looked comfortable as he pitched in conditions similar to those he experienced while growing up 30 minutes south in Colorado Springs.

Swanson just shy of cycle as Braves stay hot

"Wins in April are just as important as wins in September," McCarthy said. "It's showing that we're not rolling over. We've faced good pitching. We've been behind in games late. We've blown teams out. Winning in different ways is nice. It's better than going 1-10 and feeling like, 'Oh [no], this is a rebuilding year.'"

https://www.mlb.com/news/braves-rolling-offense-spoils-rockies-opener/c-271088604

I learned this morning that Preston Tucker played for my old high school in Tampa, Plant. Then found out he was a gate.
So, screw him, I guess.

We all make mistakes in life and I'm willing to give him a second chance since he is playing for the good guys. Plus he is playing very well at this time.

.435 BA, .462 obp and .783 slg can erase a lot of mistakes.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT