ADVERTISEMENT

Braves 2018

As of right now, we get LA. I don't mind having to play LA or Colorado. I really don't want St. Louis at this time.

If it's LA, I almost hope that they have home-field disadvantage. Both teams have played better on the road this season.

Reactions: runkpanole
The Phillies absolute collapse in September is shocking. They're about to get swept again.
I posted in this thread a few weeks ago that I was surprised that Philly had managed to stay in the race to that point because their team statistics ( namely a negative run differential) were not commensurate with their winning record at the time. It is therefore not shocking to me in the least that the Nats have surpassed them and look more every day that they'll finish 2nd in the NL East while the Phillies appear to be headed toward a sub-.500 finish.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I posted in this thread a few weeks ago that I was surprised that Philly had managed to stay in the race to that point because their team statistics ( namely a negative run differential) were not commensurate with their winning record at the time. It is therefore not shocking to me in the least that the Nats have surpassed them and look more every day that they'll finish 2nd in the NL East while the Phillies appear to be headed toward a sub-.500 finish.
But there's a difference between playing to your talent level and completing collapsing.

Reactions: NoleLizards
But there's a difference between playing to your talent level and completing collapsing.
While I am also a bit surprised by the magnitude of Philly's recent ineptitude, breaks do seem to even out over time. Kind of like scUM's football team last year, you live by squeaked-out wins, and you eventually die by them as well.

While I am also a bit surprised by the magnitude of Philly's recent ineptitude, breaks do seem to even out over time. Kind of like scUM's football team last year, you live by squeaked-out wins, and you eventually die by them as well.
Just looked it up. Philadelphia is 6-19 in the month of September.

Just looked it up. Philadelphia is 6-19 in the month of September.
homer-choking-bart-simpson.jpg

Much like a NBA coach shortens his bench in the playoffs, I hope Snit does the same thing with his bullpen and Biddle and Brach don't see the field during the playoffs.
BULLPEN PICTURE
Jesse Biddle's postseason roster candidacy faded over the past couple of weeks and then was further weakened as he allowed a Jay Bruce single and walked Todd Frazier ahead of the homer Mesoraco hit off Brach in the seventh.

Biddle established himself as a reliable reliever most of the summer, but he has retired just one of the past five batters he has faced. He has allowed eight hits while issuing six unintentional walks over his past 6 1/3 innings.

Brach hasn't been much better, allowing 10 hits and issuing two walks over his past 7 1/3 innings.

The best bets to be in the Braves' bullpen during the NLDS are Arodys Vizcaino, Chad Sobotka, A.J. Minter, Jonny Venters, Sam Freeman and Shane Carle. The top candidates for what may be two more available spots are Brach, Toussaint and Max Fried, who might become a more intriguing candidate than Toussaint to be the long-relief option.

A lot more here. https://www.mlb.com/news/julio-teheran-solid-but-braves-lose-to-mets/c-296338366

What a wild almost end to the regular season! Cubs/Brewers and Rockies/Dodgers finished 162 tied. The Braves will get the winner of the NL West. Having that extra game will make them use up a starter in a game they didn't expect to play. The real benefit will be the NL Central winner. They will get the wildcard team who will have used two pitchers.

The roster for the NLDS doesn't include Swanson or Duvall? I'm not sure Duvall is a huge loss, but I'm shocked with no Swanson on the roster.

I did forget that Dansby is recovering and still may not be 100%. So, this might make sense for the NLDS. I do like the look of the bullpen better though.

I did forget that Dansby is recovering and still may not be 100%. So, this might make sense for the NLDS. I do like the look of the bullpen better though.

Dansby couldn't swing or field the other day. They want him rested and hopefully ready to go in case we get to the next round.

What a season! I think even the highest of expectations was finishing at .500. To win the division and then put up a fight against the mega-payroll that is the Dodgers is nothing to scoff at for this young club. Great season and such a bright future. Very interesting offseason coming up with some major payroll flexibility.

Braves could be active on trade market, may take cautious approach to free agency
Oct. 19: While the Braves may have at least $60 million to address their multiple needs, which include a catcher, a corner outfielder, bullpen depth and a frontline starter, they may take a cautious approach to the free-agent market to avoid deals that hinder them down the road.

"We're not going to just walk in the store and buy because we have money in our pockets," general manager Alex Anthopoulos said. "If we don't find the right deal with something we like, there's still other opportunities to shop. There could be opportunities next season. If you start signing guys to big, long deals, if you feel good about the deal, you do it now. I wouldn't force a deal right now that would limit you in years from now."

Atlanta, though, could be active on the trade market, as the club has significant prospect depth from which to deal. Exploring a trade for Marlins catcher J.T. Realmuto could be a top priority.

Of course, that doesn't mean the Braves should be completely ruled out as potential suitors for some of the top free agents on the market. While they are unlikely to make offers to Bryce Harper or Manny Machado, they could target left-hander Patrick Corbin, or potentially seek a reunion with closer Craig Kimbrel. Both hurlers would fill needs for the club.

Atlanta also hasn't ruled out re-signing right fielder Nick Markakis or catcher Kurt Suzuki, though they would prefer to add a surefire starting catcher so Tyler Flowers can move to a backup role.

"I don't think with our club, with what we have, that the value is going to be there in the free-agent market," Anthopoulos said. "It doesn't mean it won't. We'll certainly explore it. But if I could sit here in the middle of October, I'd say it's more likely we go the trade route. It's not ideal to give up young assets, but it's also not ideal to do a deal you don't believe in -- that may look good for a year or two, and then in years three, four and five, it does not." More >

ADVERTISEMENT