ADVERTISEMENT

Broncos 24 - Panthers 10

Anyone notice him not dive for that fumble with 4 minutes left in the game? Terrible effort. Can't say I'm surprised though.
After seeing him give no effort to try to recover his fumble I had to start laughing at all the people talking about what kind of leader he is, now that is some funny stuff. Wow what a crybaby and the crazy thing is I was a fan of Cam before this game. Look up the definition of poor sportsmanship and as of last night there is a BIG picture of Cam Newton. When he got hit in the endzone late in the game when he was jumping up off the ground whining and complaining I would have swore to have seen tears running down his face.

Any potential NFL star could be watching Cam and the social responses/negativity and learn a few things. It's pretty harsh, as expected. Most of it brought on himself - the celebrations in winning combined with walking off when losing, the theatrics of falling down on the sidelines, the whining to the ref when getting hit in the end zone, the pants, and on and on. Contrast that with Manning who didn't exactly throw lights out yet went out w/class given accolades from the fans everywhere and the media.

I think it's a pretty good case study to gauge how the fans and media will respond to things. I'm speaking primarily of Winston of course.

As I've said, there's a fine line between being arrogant and being confident. IMO, Winston is the latter but I hope he does well to distinguish between the two when he hits the big stage.

Winston has been humbled though... It sucked that he did but he can use it to his advantage now. I don't think JW will handle success like Cam has.

Reactions: Phyrst1
Knight you are flat out full of it. Same personality? How on earth could anyone watch these two and draw that conclusion. Jameis is a leader. He's someone his teammates look up to and trust...as a ROOKIE. Jameis deals with defeat and tough times like a man. Terrible and quite insulting for you to lump JW in with the crybaby cam. Just awful.

Reactions: ParooKid
I can't see Jameis doing many of the things Cam does. Score a TD? Celebrate with teammates. Lose a game? Don't fall in the turf. Get hit? Get up.

Can didn't do himself a ton of favors last night. I think Jameis is a totally different guy, despite the child like nature they each have.

I'm not a big Cam fan but I will give him a break on his actions at the press conference. He has been adulated most of the year and has performed on an MVP level. He has been riding high so to fail on such a big stage had to be crushing to his ego and persona. He'll learn from the loss and the negativity he inspired along the way and become a better QB, teammate and person. Also, Benjamin will return next year which will be a big boost to offense.

enjoyed watching him play, the rest comes with the territory these days it seems. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. He is the center of the sports universe with his MVP and it shows. Can't anyone win like Tiger Woods did, crush your opponents, then move on.

I am going to give the guy a break because at some point in or lives we may need one from time to time. Yes, Cam's behavior puzzled me as well, but I also chalk that up as him being a young pup that will look back on that defeat and hold his head high and get over losing. Yes all of us have done things that we may or may not be proud of. However, as long as at the end of the day we learn from the mistakes that we have made and grow from them and do not continue to repeat the same actions, without any form of change. He has to remember as long as he plays the game that he says that he loves, he will have some high times and low times. Because that is just life itself! C'mon Man, stay for the interview!

Not the biggest Cam fan, but honestly I think he is good for the NFL. There are a lot of things he does that I am high on. Last night wasn't his best showing post-game, but you know what they say... the best competitors are all terrible losers.

Looking at the post-game from a different perspective, I have to say that the media continues to disappoint. This "troll" mentality is becoming almost ridiculous. A good portion of the questions they ask warranted the response (or lack thereof) that they received. Athletes see this and, in the heat of the moment, have a hard time dealing with it. I get that athletes are professionals and should act as such, but so are members of the media in press conferences.

I am ok with how he acts when he wins and things are going well, but I do think he needs to be there for the press conference afterwards and take all the questions after the loss.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
The bigger issue was not going after the fumble down 16-10 in the fourth quarter.
People will forget the press conference, the temper tantrum in the end zone and the constant whining to the refs. The bigger issue is with his team. They wont soon forget the lack of effort on the fumble recovery. That seemingly small thing could ruin him with the team and other players. Imagine if JW acted like that.

i think it is kind of awkward and weird how much our country wants to blend model behavior and athletics. Not only do you have to be the perfect athlete in professional sports but you also have to be the perfect person. We're obsessed with character flaws. Bottom line, i need presidents, lawyers, judges, doctors, etc. to have limited character flaws, not athletes. Is what he did so damn terrible? He's probably a likable guy if you know him personally but people will hate him and say he's so unlikable based on when seeing him at his worst. If this is him at his worst, then people need to get over themselves because this isn't the end of the world.

Any potential NFL star could be watching Cam and the social responses/negativity and learn a few things. It's pretty harsh, as expected. Most of it brought on himself - the celebrations in winning combined with walking off when losing, the theatrics of falling down on the sidelines, the whining to the ref when getting hit in the end zone, the pants, and on and on. Contrast that with Manning who didn't exactly throw lights out yet went out w/class given accolades from the fans everywhere and the media.

I think it's a pretty good case study to gauge how the fans and media will respond to things. I'm speaking primarily of Winston of course.

As I've said, there's a fine line between being arrogant and being confident. IMO, Winston is the latter but I hope he does well to distinguish between the two when he hits the big stage.

Winston was hammered more than the average player because he was a Heisman Trophy winner. He was held to a different standard.

Cam Newton was the NFL MVP this year. Like Winston, that puts you on another level and more is expected from you. If any other player did that, nobody would care. The MVP of the league is expected to be a good winner AND good loser...

I believe "Karma" hit Scam Newton right square between the eyes last night. If your going to steal, cheat, showboat and act like you are the only player on the team, then you better be able to back it up. He obviously didn't! Couldn't have happened to a better guy!!!

Cam's post-game behavior was immature and unbecoming.

That said, I must say I was also surprised by Manning's comments -- made at least two separate times last night (once to CBS and once to NFL Network) -- that he planned to "drink a lot of Budweiser" to celebrate the victory. I presume he was paid something to slip in the brand-name (you know, like he needs the extra cash). But obviously not a great message to youth and high school players who follow him.

They seemed totally unconcerned about using a controlled pass rush to just keep Cam in the pocket, they came full speed every down, and what's more he never came close to braking the pocket except on some designed plays. They came after him like a pack of hungry wolves.

Cam's character was on display last night... I learned how to be a "good sport" at around 6 or 7 years old... He acted like a 5 year old that kept getting bad beats in "Uno" or "Sorry"... Not a man, but merely a little boy.... The kind of person in my life I avoid to get to know me if possible... A person that isn't really ever "there" for YOU but you are always there for THEM... A person that is really hard to get to actually "know" - only small talk and clichés abound from his mouth... A guy that you hope and pray will pull it out for the team, not because you would be upset about losing, but because you would have to put up with the attitude, cold shoulder, and indifference of this type of man....

My read on Cam is that he has poor character... All of you giving him a pass on this are mistaken... He may be young, but he's not too young to understand sportsmanship, and I don't say that in the context of being a "role model", but rather in the context of being a grown-up adult male who gets paid to act professionally under all circumstances.... I probably achieved one of the biggest and fastest 180s ever after watching that mess after the game... I was all-in for Cam for weeks, and quickly turned after that post game presser - that is just "who he is"... and it will never change.... It's who he is guys... I could actually never see Winston acting like that in that same situation... I could never see him acting like a petulant little boy like that, with those one words answers with his hoodie on and that spoiled brat gaze of his.... The push off from the table and him storming off capped it off... What a tool...

Reactions: CaribbeanNole
As Cam gets older and experiences more life situations like losing loved ones tragically. He will realize no matter how bad you want to win and how competitive you are this is just a game. Lose with Grace and integrity you're healthy, your family, kids and friends that's a lot bigger than a football game. I remember when I went through my tough situations. I thought about how I can't believe I actually got nervous over FSU football games, how shallow. He will live and learn.

I'm shocked that the Panthers offensive scheme had no plans to move the pocket around. After Denver dominated the Patriots, I was sure that Carolina would do something creative with a QB like Newton.

Guess not.

I'm fine with him ditching the media. In fact if it had anything to do with ESPN, I would have preferred middle fingers flying in the air and a Bobby Knight like tirade full of expletives.
I remember ESPN painting JW as arrogant and over confident as if it was a bad thing. Somehow Scam was given a pass for being the same way. I even heard references to racism when people called his showboating excessive. I don't have an issue with the interview either its the on field antics that turn me off. I told some folks last week that if Denver could make him uncomfortable he would self destruct.

Reactions: pauldNole
i think it is kind of awkward and weird how much our country wants to blend model behavior and athletics. Not only do you have to be the perfect athlete in professional sports but you also have to be the perfect person. We're obsessed with character flaws. Bottom line, i need presidents, lawyers, judges, doctors, etc. to have limited character flaws, not athletes. Is what he did so damn terrible? He's probably a likable guy if you know him personally but people will hate him and say he's so unlikable based on when seeing him at his worst. If this is him at his worst, then people need to get over themselves because this isn't the end of the world.
While your opinion is somewhat true I suppose, he has been the face of not just his team but, the NFL this year. He has relished the success and took his enjoyment of being successful to another level (I don't have a problem with this, after all football is entertainment for those watching), however, he came off as a sore loser and someone who can't deal with failure along with success. I hope he can learn from this or just become another Marshawn Lynch and avoid not looking stupid.

Dont like Cam at all! I was hoping he would break a leg. News conference showed what a real loser he is. Guy gets more passes then anybody I know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT