ADVERTISEMENT

Directv

FSUdawg

Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
So, yesterday my Directv decided to go out with a 775 error code. I checked online and walked through troubleshooting to no avail. So, my wife called and they said they need to send a tech out to give us a new SWiM power device. Instead I wanted to just cancel, but my wife scheduled the service call for Saturday.

We have been thinking of changing from Directv for a while, but we aren't sure what to switch to. One thought is Dish because it is less expensive than Directv, and another thought is to go the Roku route with Sling and other services to get channels/shows we want. Unfortunately last night I tried streaming Directv through my laptop and the picture was jumpy, presumably because my Internet connection sucks...I have Windstream DSL and no other options, so I am screwed in that department.

The other thing my wife told me is Directv offered $82 per month for a year. Of course my question was whether that was with everything included, or just the package and then we have to add all the misc. fees. My guess is they are lowering our package & HBO fees but then we would still have to add the other service fees normally on the bill.

At this point I am not sure what I want to do.

There isn't a good answer. DirecTv is the best so anything you get will be worse. I cancelled a couple years back and went to Comcast which was such a joke we ended up calling back. The in laws have Dish and it's ok but DirecTv is simply ahead of the competition when it comes to their products.

I hear you regarding the quality of their products. Unfortunately I live out in the sticks and don't have options other than Directv & Dish...or cutting the cord, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Almost every time it rains here we lose satellite signal. Heck, a couple weeks ago it was foggy at night after a good rain and we didn't have signal for almost an hour.

If I could get NBCSN and Fox Sports1 & 2 I would probably cut the cord. Then again my Internet isn't so great so I probably wouldn't be happy with that experience either.

Maybe if I at least cancel and come back I will get a deal as a new customer.

Get a SWIM from Amazon for $10 bucks and do it yourself.

I just got two new receivers from Direct after a VERY close lightning strike took both of them out, along with my internet and my alarm system. Eventually I'd like to get away from any sort of satellite/cable set up - but not today. :)
I DO need to get Netflix, though. At some point I need to actually figure out how to do that. (I know I know this is something I should be on top of...)

I DO need to get Netflix, though. At some point I need to actually figure out how to do that. (I know I know this is something I should be on top of...)

You need a Blu Ray player that can stream wirelessly or move your router downstairs to directly jack it in. You also might want to ditch that dinosaur AT&T internet you have.

If your Internet speeds are poor you are not going to like your picture quality if cut the cord.

You need a Blu Ray player that can stream wirelessly or move your router downstairs to directly jack it in. You also might want to ditch that dinosaur AT&T internet you have.

Now that AT&T and DirecTV are together, it's going to be tough. And the internet speed is much better than it was just a year or two ago.

Not to hijack the thread, but I am going to switch to DirecTV when I move inot our new house that is being built. For internet, am I better to stick with Cox cable for internet only, or has anyone had any good luck with Century Link? We currently do not have a house phone, but would probably pick that up from Century Link if we went that route on internet.

I hear you regarding the quality of their products. Unfortunately I live out in the sticks and don't have options other than Directv & Dish...or cutting the cord, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Almost every time it rains here we lose satellite signal. Heck, a couple weeks ago it was foggy at night after a good rain and we didn't have signal for almost an hour.

If I could get NBCSN and Fox Sports1 & 2 I would probably cut the cord. Then again my Internet isn't so great so I probably wouldn't be happy with that experience either.

Maybe if I at least cancel and come back I will get a deal as a new customer.

Unless you have a lot of trees around the signal should be near perfect. I'd ask the tech to check the satellite because it frequently goes out. The difference between a good tech that does it right and a bad one is vast. We had ours set up crappy once and you could walk by and fart and the signal would go out. After it was adjusted it is near perfect.

You live in BFE. You can't even get your calls down there.

Macclenny is BFE. Palatka is BFE. Northern St Johns County is not BFE. Verizon put up a new tower in our area so I get my calls just fine.

Buy yourself a WiFi-Ready BD Player and call it a day. Sony BD players come with the Amazon Instant Video and Netflix apps already loaded. The Samsung model I got does not have Amazon Instant Video loaded on it.

If your Internet speeds are poor you are not going to like your picture quality if cut the cord.

When my line is stable I get just over 12Mbps for a download speed. The problem I have is one out of every 25-30 ping packets drops...all the time. I have changed modems, cables, had a tech come out and check things and they cannot make it any better. If the 12Mbps were consistent without line issues I would be fine.

As for buying my own SWiM, I don't see the point since Directv said it would be FREE. We don't have their maintenance plan or anything so I was surprised there wouldn't be a charge. Maybe it is because they know we are thinking of cancelling, or maybe it is because we have been customers since about 2000.

There's Directtv and then there's the other companies. If you want something cheaper the other companies can help you out, if you want the best get Directtv. I just got their AT&T internet, its nowhere near as good a company as Directtv. I hope they dont bring them down to their level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT