ADVERTISEMENT

Discovering a new neighbor is a convicted child molester, would you tell your neighbors?

"Hi neighbor, still into kiddie diddling?"

Really, what's the expected outcome on that conversation?
Per my post and @Cubs79 - it might be worth knowing more about the context and timing of his crimes before putting him on blast. Maybe he was an 18 year old who had sex with a 17 year old GF, who knows. He may very well be the scum of the earth, he might have been guilty of something a little less disgusting. OP knows the guy well enough to plow his driveway, so there's likely an adult way to start that convo that doesn't involve the phrase 'kiddie diddling'.

That feels like a slimey cop out. If someone didn't want to be known as "the one who told" then print out the registration page and leave it in their mail box.

To the OP, yes, I would absolutely tell the ones with kids and the ones who have grandkids who visit. I would have thought that he would have had to introduce himself when he moved in. I almost want to feel bad for someone who is on the registry list, then I remember why they (the vast majority) are on the list and the compassion goes away.
Ditto. No compassion for the creep. We had a similar situation next door to our young grandsons and I always felt uneasy until he moved away

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Per my post and @Cubs79 - it might be worth knowing more about the context and timing of his crimes before putting him on blast. Maybe he was an 18 year old who had sex with a 17 year old GF, who knows. He may very well be the scum of the earth, he might have been guilty of something a little less disgusting. OP knows the guy well enough to plow his driveway, so there's likely an adult way to start that convo that doesn't involve the phrase 'kiddie diddling'.

There is no reason to do this. He's on the registry. Tell the other parents he's on the registry and let them decide what they are going to do. If a 83 year old registered sex offender moved into my neighborhood, my daughter would simply never be alone with him and we would not invite him over to our house. As she got older, she would be told to avoid his house and personal contact. I would get the pitch fork or torch. I wouldn't put a sign up. If he wanted to borrow a tool, I would lend it to him. He can continue living his restricted life (i.e., being listed sex offender) and I can live mine. It's that simple

OP’s post said the victim was 6 years old.

Reactions: NebNoles
There is no reason to do this. He's on the registry. Tell the other parents he's on the registry and let them decide what they are going to do. If a 83 year old registered sex offender moved into my neighborhood, my daughter would simply never be alone with him and we would not invite him over to our house. As she got older, she would be told to avoid his house and personal contact. I would get the pitch fork or torch. I wouldn't put a sign up. If he wanted to borrow a tool, I would lend it to him. He can continue living his restricted life (i.e., being listed sex offender) and I can live mine. It's that simple
At the least. He would also be very clear of my feelings towards animals who commit these crimes.

I don't think you need to burn his house down or start a campaign to run him out of the neighborhood, but I'd definitely at the very least make parents aware.

Several decades ago is recent enough for me. These scumags aren't relapsing on booze or drugs, when they relapse, a child loses their right to have a chance in life.

So I say, torch his house, better be safe than sorry.

You can say this about a lot of things. Obviously things involving kids are more sensitive to most people, but the basis of your argument can be applied to lots of crimes. People relapsing on drugs or booze has most certainly impacted other peoples lives, including children. It seems you are basically wanting a system where nobody ever gets released from prison.

“Really nice, grandfatherly type” ...

That line is a huge trigger. Sounds too friendly, too inviting.

And yes, tell. You’ve done the research, know it’s him, he SHOULD have already gone around the neighborhood and if he didn’t, that’s another terrible indication he’s still a monster.

Here is what I would do since you don't have kids; if you did have kids my action would be very different.
-Ask to sit down with the families that have kids.
-Tell and more importantly show them the info you have gathered.
-Let them decide what the next course of action is.
Regardless you must do something; the guilt you would live with if something did occur would be horrible. The other thing to think about is child molestation more than any crime is a mental disease that isn't getting fixed. You have to have really major issues and odds are the person will do it again. Remember we are not talking about a 16 and 18 y/o who dated and the parents or underage person got ticked off.

depending on your local laws and ordinances, he may be getting ready to let the whole neighborhood know his status in about a month......"No candy or treats at this residence" is a dead giveaway!

Tend to agree w/ @Cubs79 in wanting to know more about the circumstances and when he was convicted.

I might even suggest being an adult about it and going to talk w/ the old man first, before deciding he needs to be put on blast to all his neighbors.

This was my thought. Be an adult and ask the dude what happened. I’d want to know if he was handing out candy to get kids in bathroom or if or something much different

But then you have to tell. Pulling up my neighborhood now

You can say this about a lot of things. Obviously things involving kids are more sensitive to most people, but the basis of your argument can be applied to lots of crimes. People relapsing on drugs or booze has most certainly impacted other peoples lives, including children. It seems you are basically wanting a system where nobody ever gets released from prison.

I’d be ok with death penalty for someone molesting a six year old, but I don’t really have sufficient faith in the justice system to support the death penalty in practice.

Reactions: SKSnole
Pass the website link along to your neighbors with kids. You don't want this at Christmas:

hazelandsanta.jpg

I looked at the Texas records and found out that he was on probabtion for 7 years starting in 2010. As soon as that was up, he moved here to Kentucky in late 2017. I still don't know when he was convicted but he is considered "low level risk" for what that's worth (not much to me). So I decided to tell the family and went over to their house. The dad was not there, just the mom and kids. They're hispanic and the mom speaks very broken english. The kids......perfect english. I asked the girls if their dad spoke english and they said 'a little'. So....that was an awkward. I've got a buddy that speaks fluent spanish so I'm going to take him with me and try again. I took 6 years of spanish in high school and college but never used it and didn't even attempt to have that conversation with the mom.

I'd just test the old guy to assess the risk. Tell him the neighborhood needs an elderly gentleman to play Santa Claus at the local rec center. If he politely declines, he's probably ok. If he excuses himself and comes back in full Santa attire within 30 seconds, might be time to alert the neighbors.

Reactions: billanole
I looked at the Texas records and found out that he was on probabtion for 7 years starting in 2010. As soon as that was up, he moved here to Kentucky in late 2017. I still don't know when he was convicted but he is considered "low level risk" for what that's worth (not much to me). So I decided to tell the family and went over to their house. The dad was not there, just the mom and kids. They're hispanic and the mom speaks very broken english. The kids......perfect english. I asked the girls if their dad spoke english and they said 'a little'. So....that was an awkward. I've got a buddy that speaks fluent spanish so I'm going to take him with me and try again. I took 6 years of spanish in high school and college but never used it and didn't even attempt to have that conversation with the mom.

I only took 3 years a long time ago. I remember Anita es un chica may bonita but we never covered the whole "Our neighbor is a registered sex offender and you should watch your children." subject.

According to google it is Nuestro vecino es un delincuente sexual registrado y debe cuidar a sus hijos but I'd be worried that the translation converts "Our neighbor is a.... " to "Im you neighbor and am a ....."

That is a risky move based on their English speaking skills. She could have taken away from your conversation I am Funk and a sex offender I live across the street. Please call me if you need a baby sitter.

It’s an interesting idea to think about what causes this desire in someone and if future science : medicine will one day be able to discover and treat / rectify it. It doesn’t appear that we’re too close to that yet.

While I do believe the neighbors should know, almost exclusively these crimes happen between an adult and a child with an existing close relationship, such as a family member / counselor / teacher / family friend, etc. Any parent I know isn’t letting their female child (especially one as young as six) alone with an adult neighbor male, ever. Sadly, the majority of these crimes only happen when there’s already a bond of trust between the child and their guardian(s) with the offender.

OP - any updates?

Did the whole neighborhood list their properties over the weekend?

The registration is in place for the purpose of letting people know about the crime he was convicted up. You shouldn't feel uneasy about letting people know to check the registry.
THIS. Child molesters are VERY difficult to reform. You do NOT want it on your head if he molests another child, his age does not matter. Neighbors with kids need to know!

Child predators are never cured. If dormant, something will act as a trigger and they will do it again. I took a sexual homicide class once and the instructor said there was one cure for a child predator, and that was a bullet to the head.

That is a tough call. Tell you why. I have seen 1st hand how a man's life was totally torn apart by false accusations for molestation charges. The accusing girl and her family got so elaborate with their claims his own family had started to doubt his innocence. Long story short it all came out in the trial and he was found innocent. However to this day even though he does have to register as a sex offender he is on the LE website as a sexual predator. The state (not FL)has told him it will take a legal action to get his name off the list, something he cannot afford since defending himself on the charges cost them everything they owned.

That is a tough call. Tell you why. I have seen 1st hand how a man's life was totally torn apart by false accusations for molestation charges. The accusing girl and her family got so elaborate with their claims his own family had started to doubt his innocence. Long story short it all came out in the trial and he was found innocent. However to this day even though he does have to register as a sex offender he is on the LE website as a sexual predator. The state (not FL)has told him it will take a legal action to get his name off the list, something he cannot afford since defending himself on the charges cost them everything they owned.
It's disgusting what our governments have become.

BUTTS COUNTY, Georgia --
Deputies with the Butts County Sheriff's Office in Georgia have placed no trick or treat signs in front of every registered sex offender's home in hope to warn families before Halloween.

On Oct. 27, Sheriff Gary Long took to Facebook to encourage trick or treaters to avoid homes with the sign, which read: "WARNING: No Trick-Or-Treat At This Address!!"

xwrtTyC.png

BUTTS COUNTY, Georgia --
Deputies with the Butts County Sheriff's Office in Georgia have placed no trick or treat signs in front of every registered sex offender's home in hope to warn families before Halloween.

On Oct. 27, Sheriff Gary Long took to Facebook to encourage trick or treaters to avoid homes with the sign, which read: "WARNING: No Trick-Or-Treat At This Address!!"

xwrtTyC.png
Yep, it’s election time.

I personally think something like that sign is way over the top. If your kids are trick-or-treating, don't you go with them until they're of a certain age? What's the expectation here with a sign like this? That the offender in question is going to open the door in front of a kid's parents and whisk them away inside their house to rape them with the mom and dad at the top of the driveway? Almost exclusively, sex crimes like these happen with a trusted member of a family or guardian who has alone time with a child.

Reactions: KitingHigh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT