ADVERTISEMENT

FSU's Oglesby Union: Last call before the wrecking ball

Much needed I would say. I spent very little time there in four years outside of walking through it to get somewhere else. Have they started building anything where Kellum and Smith were? I assume those will be more dorms?

Reactions: nynole1
That Chili's was so bad I had to go get my own beer from the bar and bring it back to the table!

I spent a lot of time there. I would set up the FSU skydiving club table most Wednesday’s. Rolled many a game at Crenshaw Lanes and saw dozens of shows at the Club Down Under. Vary rarely ate there though. I have a lot of fond memories of that place, met a lot of people and had some great conversations.

Reactions: EconSean
Spent a lot of time there.

Bowling
Video arcade
Wild pizza
Rally’s
Cafeteria
Also there were comedy shows and bands at the union
Some bagel place

I lived on campus all four years and did the meal plan thing so I was at the union daily.

Spent a lot of time there.

Bowling
Video arcade
Wild pizza
Rally’s
Cafeteria
Also there were comedy shows and bands at the union
Some bagel place

I lived on campus all four years and did the meal plan thing so I was at the union daily.

Were you restricted by an ankle bracelet? Breaking out of Landis and that horrible meal plan were not only liberating personally but financially. I'm not hating...I just couldn't/can't comprehend living four years on campus.

Reactions: Brandman3166
In the old days Coach Bowden’s call-in show originated there, believe it or not.

I also recall the Hari Krishnas doing their dances/chants there, as well as the preacher lady who said we were all sinners and would burn in hell.

I spent a lot of time there. I would set up the FSU skydiving club table most Wednesday’s. Rolled many a game at Crenshaw Lanes and saw dozens of shows at the Club Down Under. Vary rarely ate there though. I have a lot of fond memories of that place, met a lot of people and had some great conversations.

I saw the North Mississippi All Stars at Club Down Under....they killed it.

Bowled many many games at Crenshaw.

Never really hung out there much during the day, would only walk through when using the computer lab, I had a couple classes in that area as well...I think.

I’m getting old

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Were you restricted by an ankle bracelet? Breaking out of Landis and that horrible meal plan were not only liberating personally but financially. I'm not hating...I just couldn't/can't comprehend living four years on campus.

Effectively. Didn’t have a car. Last two years were in McCollum. As far dorms go, that was a good amount of space.

Reactions: FSUDoles
I had no idea that they were planning a massive renovation of the Student Union. Club Downunder was a staple for me at FSU during the early 90's.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...ion-last-call-before-wrecking-ball/523510002/
I was introduced to Muddy Waters there on the green, along with other shows that have faded from memory. That was before Woodward Avenue was closed from going through to Tennessee, before the swimming pool was filled in, and the “dust bowl” parking lot disappeared...

Reactions: Scalphunter
I saw the North Mississippi All Stars at Club Down Under....they killed it.

Bowled many many games at Crenshaw.

Never really hung out there much during the day, would only walk through when using the computer lab, I had a couple classes in that area as well...I think.

I’m getting old

I saw the North Mississippi All Stars there as well. I doubt they made more than one trip so we were probably at the same concert. They played maybe a week or two before Yellowcard which I also went to there.

Reactions: DanC78
Does the Stop Circumcision guy still take up a spot? I remember my first day at FSU walking through and seeing that guy with his big sign decrying circumcision.

Gosh...another memory lane of my time at FSU.(early 80's)

Had the meal plan at the downstairs place called SAGA.
Getting my hair cut at "Adam and Eves" (I think that's what it was called)
Taking at Movie class at the theater there (1st time seeing Citizen Kane)
Getting my mail from those old post office boxes with the combination dials.
Buying posters for dorm room walls as a freshman. (laser prints?)
Driving up the sidewalk to get to the ATM machine one night and having the police pull up behind me...

I went to FSU and Iowa Stae and I can tell you it needed to be redone back in 2004 compared to ISU's Memorial Union. It was nasty.

I feel bad that for the next two years freshmen will not be able to buy a Jim Morrison mugshot poster and incense
Or the $1 bootleg cds, stomp dance crews, and the white cheapo renegade tshirts given out for free when signing up for the fsu credit union card.

I saw some pretty good shows at the Club Downunder. Seaweed was good. I saw Mojo Nixon there in '95. Drank some beers with him after his show and he farted on me.

I saw some pretty good shows at the Club Downunder. Seaweed was good. I saw Mojo Nixon there in '95. Drank some beers with him after his show and he farted on me.
If you don't got Mojo Nixon then your store could use some fixin'....

Bought a bootleg cassette tape there of 2 Live Crew's "Banned in the USA" in '90 or '91. I think someone recorded it off a tape recorder. Still have it somewhere I'm sure. It's when you couldn't buy the explicit version in legit stores. Felt like a rebel.

I went to FSU and Iowa Stae and I can tell you it needed to be redone back in 2004 compared to ISU's Memorial Union. It was nasty.
In all seriousness the Union has always been substandard and this is a huge change for the better.

I had no idea that they were planning a massive renovation of the Student Union. Club Downunder was a staple for me at FSU during the early 90's.

Around 1980-81 I hung out at the Downunder a good bit and saw The Slutboys there one night. They were revved up and playing at ear bleed volume to a packed crowd. On into the night, and after more than a few beers, people started waving chairs over their heads and punching out the ceiling tiles from the low hanging drop ceiling. Other people picked up the tiles and were dancing and waving them around. There was no security so nobody interfered, and a good time was had by all.

Last edited:
EVERYONE seems to have farted on you at one point Fudgie.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT