ADVERTISEMENT

Gator recipes, who has one?

BPFSU

Star Player
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2012
I want to cook some gator this weekend, was going to grill it but can seem to find a good marinade or anything. Anyone have one?

I made an amazing Gator Maque Choux not too long ago. I made it up from scratch but somewhat based it on a preexisting recipe. I don't have time now but maybe tonight I'll come back and write something down.

The only time I've ever eaten it grilled was gator ribs; they were very tasty but did not have much meat on them.
Tail seems like it would be very difficult to grill because it's typically so tough. You'd probably be have to start chewing Saturday afternoon & swallow it on Sunday evening.

Marinade it in buttermilk for a few days. Dredge it in flour then fry it. Only the backstrap is decent for grilling...

Reactions: RTM58
If you're in a hurry, quick recipe below.....

ip0105_gator2.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/fried-gator-recipe.html

Ingredients
  • 1 pound alligator meat, cut into chunks (can substitute chicken or pork)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Flour, for dredging
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup hot sauce
  • 1 bottle store bought ranch dressing, for dipping
Directions

Heat a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F.

Lightly season gator meat with salt and pepper prior to dredging them in flour. Combine buttermilk and hot sauce into 1 mixture. Dip the gator meat into the buttermilk and hot sauce mixture and dip, once again, in flour. Then place in deep fryer until golden brown, just a couple minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve with ranch dressing.

The only time I've ever eaten it grilled was gator ribs; they were very tasty but did not have much meat on them.
Tail seems like it would be very difficult to grill because it's typically so tough. You'd probably be have to start chewing Saturday afternoon & swallow it on Sunday evening.

You can grill Gator just fine you just can't treat it like a burger or steak and leave it on the grill forever. You simply pound it out like a schnitzel until it's least twice as big and half as then, then slice it into smaller pieces and grill it on a high heat for a very short time. It's got next to no intracellular fat so you have to cook gator like octopus or squid, cook it very high heat for a short period of time or else super low heat for a very long time. Anything in between and it's tough.

You can grill Gator just fine you just can't treat it like a burger or steak and leave it on the grill forever. You simply pound it out like a schnitzel until it's least twice as big and half as then, then slice it into smaller pieces and grill it on a high heat for a very short time. It's got next to no intracellular fat so you have to cook gator like octopus or squid, cook it very high heat for a short period of time or else super low heat for a very long time. Anything in between and it's tough.

You leave your burgers and steak on the grill "forever"? Those two are definitely high heat for a short time.

You leave your burgers and steak on the grill "forever"? Those two are definitely high heat for a short time.

Not me, I was referring to a lot of backyard chefs. Beef has a LOT of fat and can withstand a fair amount of overcooking esp burgers. But Gator does not and will cook VERY quickly.

So here's what I do with the Gator maque choux. It actually works better outside on a side burner of your grill than inside because I actually blacken the Gator which causes a lot of smoke inside a house.

Basically follow this recipe for a standard maque choux but use real heavy cream instead of milk.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/141585/cajun-corn-and-bacon-maque-choux/

While the maque choux is cooking, take some gator tail (or any gator meat really) and pound it out with a mallet relatively thin. Then make the blackening seasoning from here

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Blackened-Redfish

but cut the cayenne in half or maybe a third.

Get another pan scorching hot at full heat with a couple of teaspoons worth of canola oil or other high temp oil. Toss the pounded Gator in the blackening seasoning and then put in the pan. It should start smoking immediately because you've already got the pan scorching hot. I don't time it, but as soon as the seasoning starts blackening and the gator has firmed up a little (maybe three minutes tops) you take it off the high heat and toss the blackened Gator in with the maque choux.

It's absolutely delicious. A fair amount of heat from the blackening seasoning, good savoriness/umami from the Gator, bacon drippings and cream, and a fair amount of sweetness from the corn and tomatoes.

Last edited:
Only way I've ever liked it . We use to serve it with marmalade at CJ's and it was good.

Blackened Alligator
1 pound alligator loin meat
1 1/2 tablespoons blackening seasoning
1 tablespoon cooking oil

Pound alligator until slightly flattened. Season using the blackening seasoning. Cook in hot oil for approximately 4 to 5 minutes, turning constantly after the first minute. When cooked, drain excess oil. Serve sliced.
Recipe courtesy of Mulate's, New Orleans, LA

The few times I was able to get it in the past, I would smoke them similar to a chicken tender. I would mix up about 2 cups of light brown sugar, 1 tablespoon of butt rub with about 2 table spoons of water and make a slurry. Then I would add in the gator meat and mix together. I'd smoke it for about 90 minutes at 250 degrees.

I've never had gator that I enjoyed eating.

It's just one of those foods that there's not point in eating unless you're a subsistence farmer/fisherman in the bayou somewhere, IMO.

Literally everything tastes better (and is way easier to prepare) than gator.

I make a good sauce picante.

I don't really use a recipe though. Dark rouix, holy trinity, tomatoes and peppers, or use rotel. There are a number of recipes on the webz.

The key with gator is you either have to be real careful not to overcook it, or cook the hell out of it. Anything in between and it will be rubber.

I always cut it up for skewers, marinade in Itlaian dressing and throw it on the grill
This is the simplest way to grill gator meat, although I don't use skewers and I use 1 part sweet BBQ sauce to 1 part Italian dressing. Cut the meat into 1 inch cubes and marinate in Italian dressing & sweet BBQ sauce over night in the refrigerator using a large Ziplock freezer bag. Throw on the grill and grill like you would chicken. Been doing this for every uf tailgate for the last 20 years. Simple and delicious and people always come back for more until it's gone. 5lbs of gator.

Made some Alligator Sauce Piquante recently and while it was very good, I would rather just have great fried gator tail (by itself + optional sauce which is what I did for the other lb of gator tail I had left; or make a po' boy).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT