ADVERTISEMENT

How will covid effect this season

My son was born 3 months premature. I'm not taking any chances. And if approved, his pediatrician has already suggested the vaccination.
As a parent, I am fully aware of how your kids are the epicenter of your universe. Worrying about your children is what good parents do. That said, I think the chances of "bad outcomes" for kindergarden-aged children are virtually nil. That said, every family must do what is best for them. There's no cookie-cutter answer that applies to all.

just to concur, in florida seven children total under 16 have died. none were under 12. zero under 16 have died recently.
No offense, but there a lot of bad thing that can happen between being “healthy” and being “dead”

The latest CDC breakthrough cases report just was published on their site.

163MM fully vaccinated folks.
6239 Hospitalizations; 26% no connection to Covid. That leaves 4617 hospitalizations or .003%
1263 Deaths; 24% no connection to Covid.
That leaves 960 deaths or .0006%
74% of the hospitalizations were in age 65 or over.

Yes exceedingly rare..........and basically zero issues with those under age 40.
It's a fluid situation however and Delta is somewhat of a game changer. We have everyone from children to professional athletes in our ICUs many of who have secondary pneumococcal infections with symptoms so severe between the two that intubation is required. This is the worst pandemic I have seen in over 25 years of practicing medicine.

Reactions: Leben
It's a fluid situation however and Delta is somewhat of a game changer. We have everyone from children to professional athletes in our ICUs many of who have secondary pneumococcal infections with symptoms so severe between the two that intubation is required. This is the worst pandemic I have seen in over 25 years of practicing medicine.
Yes, then the data will demonstrate any additional risk.
Many folks have been calling for evidence based medicine for years. That is what guides me personally. I also try to stay away from fear based opinion and stick to what we do know.

Here is a recent post on just this on medpage today: Beware it is on mask mandates, so a political landmine.

If indeed Delta is a game changer, then the data will demonstrate this. So far, not. But I am open to the possibility. I also note that the Delta variant in India and Britain demonstrated a quickly rising case load and a quickly descending case load. Let's hope for similar results.

Yes, then the data will demonstrate any additional risk.
Many folks have been calling for evidence based medicine for years. That is what guides me personally. I also try to stay away from fear based opinion and stick to what we do know.

Here is a recent post on just this on medpage today: Beware it is on mask mandates, so a political landmine.

If indeed Delta is a game changer, then the data will demonstrate this. So far, not. But I am open to the possibility. I also note that the Delta variant in India and Britain demonstrated a quickly rising case load and a quickly descending case load. Let's hope for similar results.
We are already over capacity
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local...to-significant-increase-in-covid-19-patients/

And hospitals throughout the state are on similar trajectories

Last edited:
Reactions: Leben
giphy.gif

Quaz - Hope you’re ready to feel that way for a long long time. Bc this virus isn’t likely to go anywhere. People have the choice to be vaccinated and people have the choice as to whether they want to be in large groups.
See? That's what I was talking about.

Reactions: ferg66
Hope you’re ready to feel that way for a long long time. Bc this virus isn’t likely to go anywhere. People have the choice to be vaccinated and people have the choice as to whether they want to be in large groups. Yep, those same people also should rejected in the emergency room. People do have a right but don't beat on the door when sick and barely breathing. Sounds cruel but, we do live in a survival of the fittest society.

If you are vaccinated the chances of you getting sick enough to be put in the hospital due to COVID is literally zero. Thats the science. Very consistent.
I got mine and if you want to go about without yours, that is your decision. Not my fault if something happens. My brother will not get vaccinated and that’s his decision.

Don’t expect me to stay home when I did my part.

71 years old, fully vaccinated driving 13 hours from Northern Virginia to Tallahassee with my wife---very respectful of the "science", but at this point, Dr. Fauci and the entire CDC staff will not stop us from taking our seats in Doak----looking forward to seeing all of you in the Section 8 parking lot---Go Noles!

I don’t think there should be changed. But Disney is redoing mask rules. Locally the school board is saying kids will have to do that in school. People in this area are starting to panic.

Edit - just learned they canceled a big Alzheimer’s Project fundraiser I was sponsoring. Scheduled 8/14 at The Moon.

Tally is wigging out.

Last edited:
If you are vaccinated the chances of you getting sick enough to be put in the hospital due to COVID is literally zero. Thats the science. Very consistent.
Not entirely true, know 2 people on ventilators and both are fully vaccinated, no other medical conditions prior to covid. Tallahassee.com also had an article where several people, think it was 5, are vaccinated but hospitalized with covid.

It’s Monday morning, I’m vaxxed, I’m being cautious and OPTIMISTIC!

Always happy to respond to any thread started by Fab!!!
I hope to meet Famous Fab one day! 😉
Would love to meet you too! I'm hoping to be at the ND game on Labor Day Weekend.

Reactions: goldmom
I don’t think there should be changed. But Disney is redoing mask rules. Locally the school board is saying kids will have to do that in school. People in this area are starting to panic.
What area are you in? Because they cannot mandate masks in Florida anymore.

If you are under 60 and healthy your statistical chance of dying from COVID is also nearly 0 regardless if you are vaccinated. That is also very consistent in the scientific data.

Another federal lockdown is just days away. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in Florida.

Why? It's super relevant and is FSU sports based.
Because many people can’t discuss this topic honestly, accurately, or objectively. These threads always get hijacked no matter how well intentioned the OP is. Hardly your fault and not indicative of any intention behind your question.

If the death rate remains low perhaps this is our new normal. The 9,000+ hospitalized (more that 4x among ago) is not a promising indicator IMO.
But here’s the thing, there aren’t literally unlimited amounts of people for this to infect. What you’re seeing now is in hindsight a fairly predictable post everything being open wave. Delta is way more transmissible and the country has been wide open for like 6 weeks now. Sporting events, concerts, festivals, airplanes, etc are now wide open. So basically whoever didn’t get the vaccine is very likely to get COVID at this point. But in the next month or so many of the people who were going to get it will have done so already. The vaccine does seem less effective against the delta variant but it’s still very good. The booster shot is prob going to be a thing by the end of the year and it very well could be a thing every year just like the flu shot.

Why? It's super relevant and is FSU sports based.
Because almost every time these threads go political and/or bring out the COVID experts who push their version of 'facts' on both sides of the fence. We aren't 'fact checkers' nor are we going to babysit adults fighting over political issues.

71 years old, fully vaccinated driving 13 hours from Northern Virginia to Tallahassee with my wife---very respectful of the "science", but at this point, Dr. Fauci and the entire CDC staff will not stop us from taking our seats in Doak----looking forward to seeing all of you in the Section 8 parking lot---Go Noles!

You are a trooper! Also coming in from NoVa, but we’ll be flying. I can’t do those long drives just for a weekend anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT