ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Florence

My nephew is a lineman for Tampa Electric (or whatever the power provider is in Tampa). He was told to bring a bag and be prepared to travel up there.
Yeah, those guys will be pulled in from a wide area. My thanks in advance for their efforts and sacrifice. I had a great friend (RIP) who worked many storms mostly throughout the southeast and he often talked about the satisfaction he gained from helping put things back in working order. This could be an epic event.

Obviously Ranger shoulda sold last year and built his redoubt this summer.
Nope I am safe on this storm. They did a mandatory evac starting noon Tuesday. Told the wife wait till Tuesday afternoon to make the call; but I doubt she evacs. We are not even in the cone anymore. Feel bad for my friends upstate and in NC/VA area. This storm looks like a monster.

Nope I am safe on this storm. They did a mandatory evac starting noon Tuesday. Told the wife wait till Tuesday afternoon to make the call; but I doubt she evacs. We are not even in the cone anymore. Feel bad for my friends upstate and in NC/VA area. This storm looks like a monster.

One time they evacuated HHI when I was a kid. My dad and I stayed behind while my grandma,Mom,little Bro and sis hit the road. It took them like 13 hrs to just get to Columbia.

Storm didn’t even come close.

This one has the look of Hugo which was a bad one. Slow moving and perhaps stalling overland kinda like Harvey did over Houston.
Basically everything east of I-95 in N.C. had standing water for quite a while afterwards. I knew some National Guard guys who worked that area for close to a month.
Oops, I believe Floyd was the one that stalled down east for so long. Hugo was massive, but moved thru quickly.

Last edited:
This one has the look of Hugo which was a bad one. Slow moving and perhaps stalling overland kinda like Harvey did over Houston.
Basically everything east of I-95 in N.C. had standing water for quite a while afterwards. I knew some National Guard guys who worked that area for close to a month.

HUGO was a monster. I had an uncle who lived on the Charleston Harbor (where eye hit). It was a very old house, but way up on high ground and built well because it didn’t take too much damage as I recall (13 yrs old). storm surge came a few feet short getting into the house.

I do remember visiting months later and it seemed like every tree within 100 miles was snapped in half driving in and out of town.

My grandparents did not evacuate and had to ride it out in their bathtub at their condo. They said it was like a freight train was driving over them for hours and even though they were fine, they would never stay for that again.

Last edited:
Reactions: noleone99
HUGO was a monster. I had an uncle who lived on the Charleston Harbor (where eye hit). It was a very old house, but way up on high ground and built well because it didn’t take too much damage as I recall (13 yrs old). storm surge came a few feet short getting into the house.

I do remember visiting months later and every tree was snapped in half driving in and out of town.

My grandparents did not evacuate and had to ride it out in their bathtub at their condo. They said it was like a freight train was driving over them for hours and even though they were fine, they would never stay for that again.
It was widespread devastation way up northwest from there. Charlotte was nuts.

04fd0eee8caef0409328529352afec4e8d45d7-wm.jpg

Just called my dad and his wife up in southern Virginia to check on their preparations. My stepmother's parents are in their 80's and live in Myrtle Beach. She went through the trouble a couple of days ago of reserving them a hotel room just 2 hours away in Florence, but she's on pins and needles because they've decided to stay home! :confused: (Her parents live only half a mile from the coast.)

Last edited:
Have a depression moving into the gulf from Cancun. Probably with develop into a named storm (70%) and hit Texas this weekend

I do remember visiting months later and it seemed like every tree within 100 miles was snapped in half driving in and out of town.

There are still 1000's of big assed hundred yr old oak trees that are bent over from Hugo in the Charleston area. Hugo did not mess around. My middle school teacher was from Charleston and was in tears in class the day after it hit.

Here is an old link for Ranger with some insight into the Black Mountain area he is considering. One of Asheville’s reservoirs is just north of nearby Swannanoa and is talked about in this article.
These were both lesser storms, but they caused long term damage to our area and killed five people in one landslide alone.
https://www.citizen-times.com/story...ces-ivan-impact-lingers-years-later/15217637/
BTW, as I headed home on I-40 this afternoon there were three caravans of bucket trucks headed east into the danger zone. Hats off to these folks and hopes for their safety... Surely there are others enroute even as I type.
It was hard to read their names in the other direction, but I think they are:
ARC out of Phenix City, AL
Bowlin out of Walton, KY
Townsend (?) out of possibly Townsend, TN or Townsend County, GA

Last edited:
Reactions: RangerNole
Some strange stuff goin on with this one...Euro's now got Atlanta and Savannah in the track

SuYA1w7qYGF7o3xfOZ9Ut2xu0_gcMdb-AwK5bfgVL98.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: noleone99
My son is in Raleigh and will be staying there with his friends. I'm in Greensboro, but flying home to Pensacola tonight (Wednesday). I'm supposed to fly back to GSO Sunday, but that may not happen. Got gas in my rental car this morning. Lots of fully loaded SUV's filling up. There's a lot of traffic on I-40 and I-85 already.

While I want to make sense of this, all I can think of is "how credible are these words when most meteorologists I know of can't predict a simple downpour 8 hours out?"
You’re right and the bottom line is... they don’t know for sure...

Reactions: GoNolesTX
While I want to make sense of this, all I can think of is "how credible are these words when most meteorologists I know of can't predict a simple downpour 8 hours out?"
In this instance, they only need to be close,

" Close doesn't count, except in horseshoes, hand grenades, nuclear bombs, and mother of god hurricanes."

Reactions: GoNolesTX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT