ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Florence

I call it, Evolution of a Jinx...

Man I really hope this thing miss HHI. I am sure nobody wants this thing though.

Nope I am safe on this storm. They did a mandatory evac starting noon Tuesday. Told the wife wait till Tuesday afternoon to make the call; but I doubt she evacs. We are not even in the cone anymore.

Well we are back in the cone of death and am changing my plans; going home tomorrow. I need to get home in case they close the bridge to entering HHI.

G'luck, Ranger.
I know you'll keep the powder dry.

Don’t wanna be a bozo, but listening to the Duke Power Guy is not really reassuring. Anybody wanna compare that to comments regarding the Maria response?
Duke acts like (thanks to Belem for pointing this out) all of their lines are safe or can be repaired rapido...
Come on man. This may be a big one. Don’t be cocky about restoration of power lines.

Last edited:
A construction buddy down here that just sent 250 guys to North Carolina to be available to help. I have another buddy in Charlotte (really South Carolina) bringing his family down here to surf. T&P's

Don’t wanna be a bozo, but listening to the Duke Power Guy is not really reassuring. Anybody wanna compare that to the presidential comments regarding the Maria response?
Duke acts like (thanks to Belem for pointing this out) all of their lines are safe or can be repaired rapido...
Come on man. This may be a big one. Don’t be cocky about restoration of power lines.

Let's compare, keeping in mind the relative pre-disaster state of the Carolina's power infrastructure and Puerto Rico's.
Overall "approximately 3,000 industry lineworkers and support personnel were involved in the restoration effort on the island."
The DE rep is mentioning that they're going to have a total of 20,000 mobilized for this effort.
Then when you figure you don't have the supply limitations (both in required materials and transportation bottlenecks) of the island.
It just doesn't seem right to invoke Maria level consequences.

It won't surprise me if Rangers Redoubt would wait weeks, or even more than a month, to get power back after a storm like this.
It was less than a month ago there that they declared the job done in PR - they were at 97% back in April, to give you an idea how hard that last mile can be.

Let's compare, keeping in mind the relative pre-disaster state of the Carolina's power infrastructure and Puerto Rico's.
Overall "approximately 3,000 industry lineworkers and support personnel were involved in the restoration effort on the island."
The DE rep is mentioning that they're going to have a total of 20,000 mobilized for this effort.
Then when you figure you don't have the supply limitations (both in required materials and transportation bottlenecks) of the island.
It just doesn't seem right to invoke Maria level consequences.

It won't surprise me if Rangers Redoubt would wait weeks, or even more than a month, to get power back after a storm like this.
It was less than a month ago there that they declared the job done in PR - they were at 97% back in April, to give you an idea how hard that last mile can be.
My nephew is a lineman for Tampa Electric and is heading to Conway South Carolina tomorrow.

Don’t wanna be a bozo, but listening to the Duke Power Guy is not really reassuring. Anybody wanna compare that to the presidential comments regarding the Maria response?

My comment was referring to power generation not transmission. Of course lines will go down and it takes time to repair. There's never a lack of power available. Duke purchased Progress and inherited many issues in FL. Since Irma Duke is spending billions updating the power grid.

Reactions: billanole
Just catching up on Florence related news. What do you wizards think this thing holds?

Will it be brutal because of its wind, it's slow sustained rain, or are we going to get lucky and see only isolated damage?

I'm no weather expert and I didn't sleep in a holiday Inn Express last night, but IMHO, there will be storm surge and flood damage that is wide spread from Florence. She is one big motha.
The eastern Carolinas are very low-lying (hence the regional designation "Low Country" in SC), and there are lots of creeks and rivers sure to back up due to the combination of heavy rain and storm surge blocking their outflows. This is going to be one for the books. :confused:

Hurricane Florence will slow down. That’s a bad thing.
The storm is set to bring a mind-boggling amount of rain to the Carolinas.

Earlier in the week, forecasters were warning that Hurricane Florence had the potential to hit North Carolina as a Category 4 storm, with 140 mph winds. Now it’s looking like Florence will, in terms of wind speed, be a more modest storm, with 100 to 120 mph winds, a Category 2 or 3.

But do not take that to mean Florence will be a weak storm. “The threat to life from storm surge and rainfall will not diminish, and these impacts will cover a large area regardless of exactly where the center of Florence moves,” the National Hurricane Center warns.

Here’s what makes Florence dangerous: By the time it approaches the North and South Carolina coasts Friday, it’s expected to slow down or even stall.

Forecasters say it could be more than two days before the storm leaves the region. You can see that here in the latest forecast track. Florence will be just off the shore of North Carolina early Friday, and by Sunday, it will have barely crept inland. From there, the cone of uncertainty — the area where the storm could conceivably move — grows very wide.

You may recall that stalling is what made Hurricane Harvey such a catastrophic event for Houston last year. Slower forward movement means a hurricane has more time to inundate a region with rain and storm surge. It’s a
longer time to blow dangerous, power line-snapping winds.

This all means extreme amounts of rain are possible: 20, 30, or even 40 inches are expected to occur in coastal areas of North Carolina.

152637WPCQPF_sm__1_.gif

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envi...e-florence-path-forecast-slow-down-stall-rain

Reactions: noleone99
Hurricane Florence will slow down. That’s a bad thing.
The storm is set to bring a mind-boggling amount of rain to the Carolinas.

Earlier in the week, forecasters were warning that Hurricane Florence had the potential to hit North Carolina as a Category 4 storm, with 140 mph winds. Now it’s looking like Florence will, in terms of wind speed, be a more modest storm, with 100 to 120 mph winds, a Category 2 or 3.

But do not take that to mean Florence will be a weak storm. “The threat to life from storm surge and rainfall will not diminish, and these impacts will cover a large area regardless of exactly where the center of Florence moves,” the National Hurricane Center warns.

Here’s what makes Florence dangerous: By the time it approaches the North and South Carolina coasts Friday, it’s expected to slow down or even stall.

Forecasters say it could be more than two days before the storm leaves the region. You can see that here in the latest forecast track. Florence will be just off the shore of North Carolina early Friday, and by Sunday, it will have barely crept inland. From there, the cone of uncertainty — the area where the storm could conceivably move — grows very wide.

You may recall that stalling is what made Hurricane Harvey such a catastrophic event for Houston last year. Slower forward movement means a hurricane has more time to inundate a region with rain and storm surge. It’s a
longer time to blow dangerous, power line-snapping winds.

This all means extreme amounts of rain are possible: 20, 30, or even 40 inches are expected to occur in coastal areas of North Carolina.

152637WPCQPF_sm__1_.gif

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envi...e-florence-path-forecast-slow-down-stall-rain
I know we endure a lot of tropical cyclone threats down here in Florida, but I can't even imagine dealing with the horrors about to beset at least the Carolinas. Just think of all the unfortunate people who have evacuated without any idea of when they'll be able to return to their homes, if ever.

I hope they don’t have a Harvey situation. People are still trying to get into their homes.

Saw a southbound bucket truck from Syracuse Utilities stop for donuts here in Va. UVA football game was moved to Vanderbilt. A lot of other cancellations and reschedules for a storm that will have little or no effect on the area. Too bad they didn't wait another 12 hours before crying wolf. The city and surrounding business will lose considerable money by not having the game this weekend.

Reactions: billanole
UVA football game was moved to Vanderbilt. A lot of other cancellations and reschedules for a storm that will have little or no effect on the area. Too bad they didn't wait another 12 hours before crying wolf. The city and surrounding business will lose considerable money by not having the game this weekend.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to go to that game, even in great weather. That makes FSU/Cuse look like an amazing matchup.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
...and so it begins. While riding home I listened to NC Governor Cooper being interviewed. His quote was something along the lines of “It is time to switch from preparation to action. It is time to pull together and look after each other.”
The leading edge of the storm is now impacting folks. Some 30K are without power as of now and coastal Highway 12 (per typical) has already been inundated in some areas.
As predicted, that angry woman has slowed to a 5 MPH crawl, the better to batter everything in the path of its 200 mile diameter. The amount of rainfall expected reminds me of the old timers talking about “a Johnstown flood”. Deadly.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...banks-horses-left-ocracoke-island/1289167002/
In other news, some are just horsing around.

Last edited:
Man, gives me anxiety just looking at it. Harvey didn't have any wind, but the non-stop torrential rains and keeping track of the drainage lakes and river behind our house to see if the water was going to come up into the yard.....

Has anyone looked at the live cam today? It’s all clear, looks beautiful... but that storm has hardly moved... doesn’t appear that tower would be that clear yet... :cool:

Was reading the comments on the right side of the actual site... looks like they lost power from the cam tower, so it's just generic feed. My initial thought was "wow, maybe Cubs79 is on to something with the flat earth theory..."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT