ADVERTISEMENT

Is anybody a fan of Red Dirt country on here?

I was thinking about going to see Ray Wylie Hubbard. Get chicken fried steak at the Gristmill while in Gruene.

Hopefully the river will be down by the time you get there.
My buddy is on the Comal as we speak.

Texas Hill Country around Luckenbach - the wild flowers are probably gone by now.

12976834_10207563517339952_8427465534821861831_o.jpg

Reactions: Nole Daddy
Yeah I will be checking out Gruene Hall. There is not anyone singing there that I want to see the days I am there, but I will be checking it out. I am going to try to see Stoney Larue at a bar called the River Road Ice House.
That will be awesome stoney puts on a great show and river road ice house is always a great time especially if you've spent all day drinking on the river

That will be awesome stoney puts on a great show and river road ice house is always a great time especially if you've spent all day drinking on the river
Yeah I heard Stoney is great live and that bar is cool. This is a family vacation, so I am going to have to send the family to a movie that night while Inhang out listening to him.

Speaking of Red Dirt, I am thinking of going to Music Fest with @PortaJohn in Steamboat to see all the bands and singers. Now that would be fun as heck, and I could see lot's of the performers I am listening to on a daily basis. Add that there is skiing and about 200 Shiners to drink over the time there.

Last edited:
You'll have a great time noledaddy. It's by far the best week of the year. 50 bands over 6 days (most play multiple times and play sets together). Ski in the morning and early afternoon then music until after midnight. Come back feeling like crap but great time. I've been to every national title game Fsu has played in and would rather watch this years in steamboat at music fest vs. missing steamboat and going to see FSU win it live.

You'll have a great time noledaddy. It's by far the best week of the year. 50 bands over 6 days (most play multiple times and play sets together). Ski in the morning and early afternoon then music until after midnight. Come back feeling like crap but great time. I've been to every national title game Fsu has played in and would rather watch this years in steamboat at music fest vs. missing steamboat and going to see FSU win it live.
Ok I asked the boss( the wife) and she is cool with it. I am going, but she is not. Get ready to drink a bunch of Shiners.

Here it is. Can't wait. http://themusicfest.com/home/

I moved to San Antonio a little over 2 years ago and I have become a huge Willie and Outlaw fan and getting into red dirt.

A few weeks ago my dad and I went to the Fredericksburg and Luckenbach had a blast. We went with the intention to go to the WW2 Pacific war museum, it's outstanding if you are into history. I didn't have time to really enjoy the atmosphere we had my daughter she is 10 months and was a trooper I didn't want to push it to far. The Winery's up in that area are very good as well.

Gurene is really cool as well. Grits mill is very good my wife went yesterday. River is still pretty high but I think the Comal is safe to float. New Braunfels has another outdoor music venue I don't know the name off the top of my head but is really good as well. Coopers BBQ is a must try in NB. Get the pork chop and have them dip in the sauce. Let me know if you want to play a round of golf in SA.

I moved to San Antonio a little over 2 years ago and I have become a huge Willie and Outlaw fan and getting into red dirt.

A few weeks ago my dad and I went to the Fredericksburg and Luckenbach had a blast. We went with the intention to go to the WW2 Pacific war museum, it's outstanding if you are into history. I didn't have time to really enjoy the atmosphere we had my daughter she is 10 months and was a trooper I didn't want to push it to far. The Winery's up in that area are very good as well.

Gurene is really cool as well. Grits mill is very good my wife went yesterday. River is still pretty high but I think the Comal is safe to float. New Braunfels has another outdoor music venue I don't know the name off the top of my head but is really good as well. Coopers BBQ is a must try in NB. Get the pork chop and have them dip in the sauce. Let me know if you want to play a round of golf in SA.
Thanks for the advice. I look forward to the trip.

Was there 3 weeks ago. When you go back, go to the Garrison Brothers distillery, the Pedernales brewery (beer hymns on Sunday afternoon), and the Fredericksburg brewery downtown. Also, Coopers is better in Llano. Don't waste your time with Enchanted Rock State Park.

Was there 3 weeks ago. When you go back, go to the Garrison Brothers distillery, the Pedernales brewery (beer hymns on Sunday afternoon), and the Fredericksburg brewery downtown. Also, Coopers is better in Llano. Don't waste your time with Enchanted Rock State Park.[/QUOTE
@F4Gary what do you suggest to do in San Antonio? I have my 10 and 12 year old girls and my wife. We will be there for 2 days, and I am looking for suggestions. I have the Alamo; Riverwalk; and area for shopping. Then I am going to New Braunfels to do that water park one day, and the Comal River another day. Thanks.

Was there 3 weeks ago. When you go back, go to the Garrison Brothers distillery, the Pedernales brewery (beer hymns on Sunday afternoon), and the Fredericksburg brewery downtown. Also, Coopers is better in Llano. Don't waste your time with Enchanted Rock State Park.

I proposed to my wife on Enchanted Rock, but, other than that memory, I would agree with your statement - it's not much. There are some cool and goofy sites in the hill country. Marble Falls is very pretty. Go over to Kingsville and you can eat lunch at the house where they filmed Texas Chainsaw Massacre. There is also a spot just south of Marble Falls called "Dead Man's Hole," it's where they would hang people and dump their bodies in a fissure that opened in the granite.

We actually went to the Fredericksburg Brewing company and had a few pints and lunch. I loved the beer garden in the back. looked like a awesome spot to watch a game but was quite when we went it was a Tuesday around 1. I have heard that Coopers in Llano is the better the guy who steered me to the one in NB. I got to try that one.

The hill country is awesome. I'm looking to buy land out there but it's getting really high in the Fredericksburg area due to the winery's.

You've pretty much got it covered, I've not spent a lot of time in SAT. There is/was a Sea World and an amusement park there. Good Mexican food too.

the Pearl Brewery is a great area in SAT. it has a new hotel that is beautiful. South Town hashas good restaurants, Friendly spot is cool if you are going to keep on the drinking theme. Also Blue Star Brewery has music and drinking. River Walk downtown is ok but you can find better in town.

the Pearl Brewery is a great area in SAT. it has a new hotel that is beautiful. South Town hashas good restaurants, Friendly spot is cool if you are going to keep on the drinking theme. Also Blue Star Brewery has music and drinking. River Walk downtown is ok but you can find better in town.
Thanks

We actually went to the Fredericksburg Brewing company and had a few pints and lunch. I loved the beer garden in the back. looked like a awesome spot to watch a game but was quite when we went it was a Tuesday around 1. I have heard that Coopers in Llano is the better the guy who steered me to the one in NB. I got to try that one.

The hill country is awesome. I'm looking to buy land out there but it's getting really high in the Fredericksburg area due to the winery's.

I know a guy selling about 400 acres along the Colorado outside Brownwood. It's undeveloped, but has a nice pasture.

Reactions: timbo37059
Saturday I am going to see Stoney Larue and Bleu Edmonson at The River Road Ice House in New Braunfels.

Does anybody have some recommendations for food in San Antonio on the River Walk? I have the wife and my two girls, so nothing super fancy. Any type of food is done also.

I am probably going to drive up to see that show with BJ in Orlando.

How was your trip? It cooled off a bit last weekend. Had some light t-storms.
It was freaking awesome and thanks for asking. We went to San Antonio and had a very good couple of days, and then hit New Braunfels and area around it. That was the highlight where I had some incredible BBQ at Kent Black's in San Marco's; saw Stoney Larue; had great Mexican at Herbert's; went to Gruene Hall; took the kids to Schliterbaun and rode the Comal River. All while drinking a good amount of Shiner. Now I want to schedule a guys trip back to hit more bars, and listen to more Red Dirt.

I have been in SA for two years and bearly tapped into the area. Every time someone visits we branch out more. We need to get out more but between my 1 year old and work it's hard. I wish I knew the area better when we moved here I would have lived out in the country more it's so nice. We live near sea world 151 area and have a beautiful house but I want something out of the way. My wife wins the 3 minute commute so it will be hard to get her to move farther away.

Another cool area to check out is Bandera.

I just cracked a wicked ram ipa. My wife bought me a yeti cooler for Father's Day and I'm putting it to good use this weekend.

I have been in SA for two years and bearly tapped into the area. Every time someone visits we branch out more. We need to get out more but between my 1 year old and work it's hard. I wish I knew the area better when we moved here I would have lived out in the country more it's so nice. We live near sea world 151 area and have a beautiful house but I want something out of the way. My wife wins the 3 minute commute so it will be hard to get her to move farther away.

Another cool area to check out is Bandera.

I just cracked a wicked ram ipa. My wife bought me a yeti cooler for Father's Day and I'm putting it to good use this weekend.
It's so close to you. Get there and enjoy.

Does Robert Earl Keen count as Red Dirt? I like him, Pat Green, Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis. The Texas stuff is really good.

Does Robert Earl Keen count as Red Dirt? I like him, Pat Green, Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis. The Texas stuff is really good.
REK is great and has been doing it for many years. Bruce's brother, Charlie Robison is one of my favorites.

Last edited:
anybody here a fan of Hayes Carll, or Cross Canadian Ragweed or the godfather of alt country Steve Earle? and the Queen mother Lucinda by god Williams

anybody here a fan of Hayes Carll, or Cross Canadian Ragweed or the godfather of alt country Steve Earle? and the Queen mother Lucinda by god Williams
Yes I have listened to them all. Ragweed was great, and I hope they get back together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT