ADVERTISEMENT

Life changes and potentially buying a franchise

I would not want to work that hard for under 200k.

I know that is just the LR thing to say. But being for real, they don't work that hard. They just have to take crappy stores in bad locations for the first 5-10 years. But as far as the physical work, not bad at all. And they take plenty of time off as well. The Chick Fil A system is a find tuned machine. Once they get their people in place they almost run themselves. Operators come in watch the truck unload and make sure things look clean. They will then help during the rush, and that's about it...that's if they choose. Some don't even do that.

Thanks for the info. What about Dwarf House? Do they ever open any new ones?

A good friend of mine ones three Armstrong-McCall stores. They are hairdresser supply stores that caters to the profession. He does very well. From speaking with him, have good managers and take care of them. I think, if I was going to go into a franchise, it would be something in that type of market or childcare/early development (Kumon). Food industry stuff does not seem to be that great of a gig.

Great advice. I am a serial entrepreneur and spent a short stint as entrepreneur in residence for my state. I have never seen a successful startup where the principle didn't work a minimum of 65-70 hours a week.

Yeah, I've seen people buy places and 'own' them and see them go out of business time and time again while sucking the poor bastards dry. If you want it to be successful you have to put in the sweat equity to do so, so that when you finally hand the keys over you know what's up. Piggy comes to mind as the right way to get it going...

I'll just throw in a franchise up close that I've seen grow like crazy, i9 sports.

My son started flag football with them about 7 years ago when they were just getting started in the area. A young couple started it, the wife took care of the admin and the husband refed the games and did a little coaching. They started with one field, and now they have four fields going all day Saturday and Sunday. They've now got several employees helping them run game days.

They run other sports as well, but from what I can see flag football is their bread and butter.

Their model is great. It's one day (afternoon, night, whatever) a week, practice for an hour, play the second hour. The kids have fun, it's football without the health scare, it's the easiest season my son plays, I never see any hassle with parents. As a business, it's clearly a lot of time and work on game days, and depending on how many sports or days you run, you could be quite busy, but if you like to be outdoors and like to be around kids sports, it seems like a great business. And I have to imagine the popularity of flag football is just going to grow.

I'll just throw in a franchise up close that I've seen grow like crazy, i9 sports.

My son started flag football with them about 7 years ago when they were just getting started in the area. A young couple started it, the wife took care of the admin and the husband refed the games and did a little coaching. They started with one field, and now they have four fields going all day Saturday and Sunday. They've now got several employees helping them run game days.

They run other sports as well, but from what I can see flag football is their bread and butter.

Their model is great. It's one day (afternoon, night, whatever) a week, practice for an hour, play the second hour. The kids have fun, it's football without the health scare, it's the easiest season my son plays, I never see any hassle with parents. As a business, it's clearly a lot of time and work on game days, and depending on how many sports or days you run, you could be quite busy, but if you like to be outdoors and like to be around kids sports, it seems like a great business. And I have to imagine the popularity of flag football is just going to grow.

Lou,

My boy did i9 for the first time last year (U8) and I have to agree. The 1 day practice followed by a game is great.

I'd be more than happy to talk to you about this and tell you the many reasons why I'd love to change the course of history that life presented me back in 2008/2009 when I thought it would be a great idea to start a restaurant. I was 41 at the time.

Reactions: DanC78
Lou,

My boy did i9 for the first time last year (U8) and I have to agree. The 1 day practice followed by a game is great.

My guess is that ours has about 500 kids out there a weekend in flag football in the spring, @ $140 a pop. That's $75k gross for about 12 weeks. Do it again in the fall, and what I imagine is a smaller group in the winter. Now, obviously they pay some money to the local high school to the fields, there's some insurance, and the kickback to the franchise. The refs are paid for by the concessions they sell.

I'm guessing they've got a solid ten hour day on Saturday and Sunday, and put in an hour or two a day between them during the week. Probably several weeks in the year when you don't work at all. They're probably not going to make generational money, but that's a pretty good living on your own terms. I don't know if that kind of participation is normal, or just the area I'm in. But the main attraction is there isn't some massive investment or build out or inventory like there is with a store or retail. There's the cost to get in on the franchise, but you can basically build it up from the small time.

But it's a LOT more than two hours a week during the week. 500 kids is how many teams? If you put 20 on a team, you have 25 teams. I bet it's closer to 35. Coordinating all that is a lot more than you would think. You're dealing with coaches who can't make practices, parents who have issues they think are important, continued dealings with the leases of the fields, dealing with setting up the inevitable picture deals, advertising for the next season, and a lot more. I am not saying it's a bad deal, but it's a lot more than an hour or two a week.

But it's a LOT more than two hours a week during the week. 500 kids is how many teams? If you put 20 on a team, you have 25 teams. I bet it's closer to 35. Coordinating all that is a lot more than you would think. You're dealing with coaches who can't make practices, parents who have issues they think are important, continued dealings with the leases of the fields, dealing with setting up the inevitable picture deals, advertising for the next season, and a lot more. I am not saying it's a bad deal, but it's a lot more than an hour or two a week.

I'm thinking a couple hours per DAY per week, per person, not a couple hours a week. And I'm sure there are days with more. The bigger misleading thing I'm sure was me saying 12 weeks..I'm sure there's pretty heavy lifting for a good month before the season starts, when a lot of what you're talking about gets done.

My guess is it's probably pretty full time during the week for several weeks before the season, and then heavier on the weekends during the season. But even during the season, if you're working 10-12 hours on Saturday and Sunday, if you're working even a couple hours a day during the week during the season, you're definitely pushing full time. And again, I'm looking at a couple doing it, so that's a lot of time invested. They're probably making a nice living, but nothing bonkers.

Definitely not saying it's easy riches, didn't mean to imply that. But that's a lifestyle/schedule that many people would prefer to their current, or a restaurant where you could easily be putting in 18 hours x 7. And more importantly, you're probably not dropping half a million into it at the jump, it's the rare franchise that you can grow (of course, it's still $40k+ to get in).

Oh, fair enough. I suspect doing that and making 120-180k may be a great thing to do as opposed to a lot of other options. And if you are good at it, you can expand it and hire people to do a lot. As long as folks know it's all hard work. The only other thing about which I wold worry is someone else coming and and taking over. Those are hard niches to maintain at times.

Oh, fair enough. I suspect doing that and making 120-180k may be a great thing to do as opposed to a lot of other options. And if you are good at it, you can expand it and hire people to do a lot. As long as folks know it's all hard work. The only other thing about which I wold worry is someone else coming and and taking over. Those are hard niches to maintain at times.

I'm assuming everyone on here is smart enough to know that there's no easy work/big riches/zero risk options.

To me the appeal is the lower investment/ability to start small, not having to hold a ton of inventory, invest in building out space, or sign long term rental leases, or be bound to certain hours (outside game days).

My wife is a bit enamored of franchises because a cousin of hers bought a few Mailboxes Etc early in that life cycle and did pretty well with it, and his parents ran one of the stores in their old age and it all worked out for them. But there are very few franchises that hold appeal between the sunk costs, the lack of freedom (have to be open x amount of hours), the royalty, the need to be on site, etc. I keep telling her we aren't going to be sitting on a ton of cash where we could just throw a quarter million at something and see if it works out...if we did one of these major franchises, it would be us basically throwing everything we had at it. In that context, there's very few that hold much appeal. I'm telling her that in most cases, better off taking a swing at building a small, low risk business from scratch, as someone mentioned with the private branding of products that they sell.

This is just one franchise, probably because I literally saw it grow up, that has some more appealing aspects to me than most.

Instead of franchising consider buying a business (that may or may not be a franchise). You will have an established client base, you can sample the place, and you negotiate the price. It is WAY easier than starting anything from scratch and the odds of success are vastly higher. You also get to see revenue and profit before buying so you will know an approximate ROI. You will also be blown away at what businesses make money. Many do stupid amounts of money with tiny percentage profit where others do low money high profit. Subway and Papa Johns are brutally unprofitable from a percentage basis. I'm talking sub 10k per year per location in many instances while doing over 500k in sales. Meanwhile Cell phone screen repair places may only have 100k in sales and make 50k.

Also don't be afraid of getting into something different. My parents bought a pest control company (then 2 more and merged them all). Built it up and sold the whole thing to Terminix and True green (one took lawn, the other took inside). He was a finance / computer consultant for his career and knew nothing of the business. He liked it because it was one of the few businesses where you get recurring revenue with about 50 percent profit.

Instead of franchising consider buying a business (that may or may not be a franchise). You will have an established client base, you can sample the place, and you negotiate the price. It is WAY easier than starting anything from scratch and the odds of success are vastly higher. You also get to see revenue and profit before buying so you will know an approximate ROI. You will also be blown away at what businesses make money. Many do stupid amounts of money with tiny percentage profit where others do low money high profit. Subway and Papa Johns are brutally unprofitable from a percentage basis. I'm talking sub 10k per year per location in many instances while doing over 500k in sales. Meanwhile Cell phone screen repair places may only have 100k in sales and make 50k.

Also don't be afraid of getting into something different. My parents bought a pest control company (then 2 more and merged them all). Built it up and sold the whole thing to Terminix and True green (one took lawn, the other took inside). He was a finance / computer consultant for his career and knew nothing of the business. He liked it because it was one of the few businesses where you get recurring revenue with about 50 percent profit.

Funny you should mention this...aside from my post-rat race idea of driving Uber, I've been thinking of learning smartphone repair. I've done bit of screen replacement on my own phones over the years. There's places you can go for training, but you can also teach yourself a lot of it online. I was planning on starting teaching myself by buying broken screen phones, repairing them and reselling them until I got good enough at it, which can actually be a moneymaker itself if you do enough. It has the advantage of not being locked into storefront hours and not potentially destroying a customer's phone and having to replace it.

Funny you should mention this...aside from my post-rat race idea of driving Uber, I've been thinking of learning smartphone repair. I've done bit of screen replacement on my own phones over the years. There's places you can go for training, but you can also teach yourself a lot of it online. I was planning on starting teaching myself by buying broken screen phones, repairing them and reselling them until I got good enough at it, which can actually be a moneymaker itself if you do enough. It has the advantage of not being locked into storefront hours and not potentially destroying a customer's phone and having to replace it.

Assuming you get good enough just hit up a local Car Wash and ask for a space to do business. People are there already waiting and if they have a cracked phone and see they can have it fixed while they are waiting it's a no brainer. Split the profit in some manner with car wash owner. Doesn't cost the car wash a dime, potentially brings in business in the opposite way (need phone repair, may as well get the car washed while they are there). If it takes off hire a couple guys and call it a day.

Assuming you get good enough just hit up a local Car Wash and ask for a space to do business. People are there already waiting and if they have a cracked phone and see they can have it fixed while they are waiting it's a no brainer. Split the profit in some manner with car wash owner. Doesn't cost the car wash a dime, potentially brings in business in the opposite way (need phone repair, may as well get the car washed while they are there). If it takes off hire a couple guys and call it a day.

You could do a kiosk in a mall as well. That and develop some channel partnerships with local Verizon and ATT reps.

A little background...forgive me in advance if this is a tl;dr scenario.

I turned 40, in May.

I have been in sales for the last 16 years. By my definition, I am "successful" at it (i.e. I hit my number all the time, make 6 figures a year, etc) but I absolutely hate it. It's sucking every last bit of life from me and a change has to happen in the near future or I'm going postal.

Some further background...My daughter is 14 years old, and a freshman in high school. She's taking all honors classes except for math, and she's overall a very good student (all A's and a B for her 1st report card, and progress report said the same for this term) but not an exceptional one. I say this b/c while I think she's certainly college bound, I anticipate needing to help her some for college, and I'm committed to doing that. Her mother (we're divorced, and sorry no pic) is too, but I don't think she's quite as committed to help as I am since she, to her credit, paid her own way through school and thinks if it comes to it, our daughter can too...so I could be giving a disproportionate amount of help when the time comes. I've saved a small but reasonable amount in a 529 plan for her and will continue to do so until she goes to school. Should have ~$30,000-$35,000 in it by the time she goes. Not enough to fully fund school by any means but enough to help in conjunction w/financial aid, scholarships (hopefully) and whatever my ex and I contribute out of our pay at the time.

So big picture, while I'm generally not happy at work, I know I've got a pretty good gig going, and for where I am in life (daughter nearing college) I can't go quitting the sure thing I have now...so I won't. But I desperately want to. I've got a history degree and a whole lot of sales experience...both of which are useless to me as I consider the next 20-25 years of my life.

I like making money, and I like controlling my own destiny while being rewarded for my effort (which is the only reason I've done well in sales) so the solution, I think, is for me to go into business for myself. Given my risk profile when it comes to investing though, (I'm not risk averse, but not a high risk investor either) I think I'd be a good candidate for a franchise of some sort, since there is generally a track record, of sorts. I confess that I know next to nothing about this realm though, so I want to start doing some homework now so I'm ready when the time comes. Maybe it's a bad idea, I just know I've got to start making headway on a plan, and for whatever reason, this continues to be the route I keep coming back to when I daydream about making a change.

Any franchisees in here?

Successes or horror stories?

General insight on what I've posted?

Do you have any IT background in sales?

Lots of high school chicks...
Boom...
This is a great idea. You could start as small as you needed to and not be under any pressure to grow. If it takes off all the better...

I think about this scenario sometimes and would want a Tropical Smoothie or a Waffle House.

Waffle House just seems so basic and easy to run. Hire old people. Nothing special about the menu and the everything is cooked in front of the customer takes a few minutes.

I know someone who bought several Subway franchises - they were in the NFL at the time and their Dad ran the business during the season and now that he's out of football he's active in running them as well. The Dad is a partner. You must stay right on top of your stores at all times.
There is definitely a stress level associated with franchises. If you're still single from your divorce you have no "partner" to help out, either.

Take a vacation and think about this. We've all had a mid life crisis when we just want to "run away" and start over, but think long and hard about it. Maybe instead of a franchise just start your own business.

Well said! I am in the same position as the OP in terms of feeling burned out in a sales job. I have decided to take a shot on my own in the new year and hope that the added autonomy makes me career more enjoyable (and profitable).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT