ADVERTISEMENT

My review of the Great American Eclipse

funksouljon

Veteran Seminole Insider
Jan 26, 2004
COS, CO
So we decided to go camping in Wyoming for the eclipse to view and hang out with my folks. We ended up in a state park, Guernsey State park. Pretty cool little park, but apparently they get so much silt into the reservoir they drain and dredge twice a year and fishing is almost non-existent. Near the park is register rock (larger stone outcropping that hundreds of pioneers would stop and scratch their names into the rock before they continued on to Cali, Utah or Oregon) as well as the Guernsey ruts which is a section of rock where so many wagons passed, it etched grooves 3 ft deep into the rocks. That was pretty interesting to know that even in the beginning of our country we have been vandals. However without fail idiots decided to etch "Bob loves Mary 2015" etc into the wall.

We had perfect weather on the day. Not a single cloud (so suck it, you know who you are! :) ). It was pretty hot by the time the eclipse started, and you could feel the temp dropping once it started. Felt like 15 degrees total. My dog didn't seem to notice. I was trying to take a lot of pics, so it happened fast for me to move camera, tinker with exposures and capture. The partial events took a while, but once the full eclipse occurred, it happened fast. I didn't have enough time to get my filters off and take images of the front half, but I did get the back half. I haven't put all the pics into a single image to show the phases, but did get some I am happy with.

They estimated so many people came to Wyoming that for the weekend/day the state's population was doubled. Leaving was a PITA. As soon as totality ended, several people took off just flew out of the parking lot. We waited for 6 hours afterward to leave, and it still took us 7 hrs to make a 4.5 hour drive.

It was very impressive, more than I expected. Its also similar to images of Grand Canyon, National title game, the starry sky at night when you are out to sea or something grand like Yellowstone. Pictures are neat, but the scope, scale and experience is something your can't really capture. Highly recommend catching it in person.

<Looks like I need to find a new photo hosting site...>

. . . Near the park is register rock (larger stone outcropping that hundreds of pioneers would stop and scratch their names into the rock before they continued on to Cali, Utah or Oregon) . . .That was pretty interesting to know that even in the beginning of our country we have been vandals. However without fail idiots decided to etch "Bob loves Mary 2015" etc into the wall.
...>

I think it was in Arizona in some old ruins where we went and saw names scratched into the rock. They said that before 18xx the scratchings were considered historical artifact. After that date, they are considered to be vandalism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT