ADVERTISEMENT

Vote or Die!

Status
Not open for further replies.
FL, TX and CA can all tally votes 'quickly' because there aren't very many close races. The races are called long before the last vote is counted.
How does whether or not the race is close affect how quickly the vote is tallied?

‘Calling’ the race isn’t the same as tallying the votes.

How does whether or not the race is close affect how quickly the vote is tallied?

‘Calling’ the race isn’t the same as tallying the votes.
The right's complaint is how long some of these races take to get called. The fact is that most states continue tallying votes long after the race has been called. The bulk of that is overseas military votes. You could just put rules in place that eliminate that problem as the right doesn't have any problem with disenfranchising people when convenient.

The right's complaint is how long some of these races take to get called. The fact is that most states continue tallying votes long after the race has been called. The bulk of that is overseas military votes. You could just put rules in place that eliminate that problem as the right doesn't have any problem with disenfranchising people when convenient.
Or when those who try to vote with no ID are reminded that they need to be able to prove who they say they are and then come back and vote, you mean?
Military votes have never really been an issue nor is it common for them to come in very late and change the outcome so that’s not what we’re talking about.
I think Kari Lake in AZ is a nutjob but I just don’t understand why Maricopa County would not be able to fix their voting process regardless of who holds majority office there, D or R. Why the heck feed her any ammo?

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
By that logic lets not require ID to purchase firearms so we don't disenfranchise people that want to own guns.

Or when those who try to vote with no ID are reminded that they need to be able to prove who they say they are and then come back and vote, you mean?
Military votes have never really been an issue nor is it common for them to come in very late and change the outcome so that’s not what we’re talking about.
I think Kari Lake in AZ is a nutjob but I just don’t understand why Maricopa County would not be able to fix their voting process regardless of who holds majority office there, D or R. Why the heck feed her any ammo?
AZ is a GOP dominated state. They made the rules that these whiny nut cases are crying about. The rules only seem to be bad when one of them loses.
Having to wait to count all the votes is only a problem when the GOP loses.
You want quick results? Stop telling voters that voting early is bad or that their vote will be changed/not counted. AZ has had election day ballots double in recent years. Why do you think that is? Who is telling people that they have to vote in person and drop boxes are bad? Who is sending out armed citizens to stand around drop boxes?
The gop is again complaining about the mess they made themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: bcherod and DFSNOLE
AZ is a GOP dominated state. They made the rules that these whiny nut cases are crying about. The rules only seem to be bad when one of them loses.
Having to wait to count all the votes is only a problem when the GOP loses.
You want quick results? Stop telling voters that voting early is bad or that their vote will be changed/not counted. AZ has had election day ballots double in recent years. Why do you think that is? Who is telling people that they have to vote in person and drop boxes are bad? Who is sending out armed citizens to stand around drop boxes?
The gop is again complaining about the mess they made themselves.
Which is precisely why I said I don’t care who controls Maricopa County - it’s just nutso that they don’t know how to “fix” it.
Did that sail over your head?

Which is precisely why I said I don’t care who controls Maricopa County - it’s just nutso that they don’t know how to “fix” it.
They only thing that needs "fixing" is the rhetoric from the right. There was no need to 'fix' their process in the past because there was no fear screwing up the system. Turn off Fox News and the voting goes smoothly again.

Your right it would be stupid to allow someone to buy guns without proving who they are first. It would be just as stupid to allow someone to vote laws like that into place or the lawmakers that create them without verifying who they are. Get the logic now?
There is no logic in your comments. People need to prove who they are to get registered. They then sign their ballots. If there is a question the ballot can be authenticated. Can you provide me with valid reasons why that needs to change? Has there ever been a case of widescale ballot fraud? Of fraud changing an election? Take your time.

Reactions: bcherod
They only thing that needs "fixing" is the rhetoric from the right. There was no need to 'fix' their process in the past because there was no fear screwing up the system. Turn off Fox News and the voting goes smoothly again.
Now there is some root cause analysis for you. Its Fox News fault that Arizona cant count. Fear is messing up the system. See how easy that was.

There is no logic in your comments. People need to prove who they are to get registered. They then sign their ballots. If there is a question the ballot can be authenticated. Can you provide me with valid reasons why that needs to change? Has there ever been a case of widescale ballot fraud? Of fraud changing an election? Take your time.
If they prove who they are to get registered then fine early vote at a polling station. And when your there show iD to prove its you. You know picture to face type thing. How else do they really know its you? So if they show ID to register why would asking for ID to vote be disenfranchising anyone? They already proved who they are according to you.

The gravy seals were just out there to stop all the mexicans from voting!!!
12d9a803c916b4b327d3211cf5c35650

Reactions: DFSNOLE
If they prove who they are to get registered then fine early vote at a polling station. And when your there show iD to prove its you. You know picture to face type thing. How else do they really know its you? So if they show ID to register why would asking for ID to vote be disenfranchising anyone? They already proved who they are according to you.
So you have no evidence that the current system isn't working? That's not surprising at all. Just more rhetoric.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
So you have no evidence that the current system isn't working? That's not surprising at all. Just more rhetoric.
It doesn't matter if the system is working or not. States want to remove ID laws to make voting easier. How do you know those voting are who they say? Cant a system be more secure? Surly there's no harm in improvements. Its baffling you keep going back to there's no issues currently and disenfranchisement.

Eeeeeaaasssyyyyy..... Do you need another warm cup of cocoa?

It doesn't matter if the system is working or not. States want to remove ID laws to make voting easier. How do you know those voting are who they say? Cant a system be more secure? Surly there's no harm in improvements. Its baffling you keep going back to there's no issues currently and disenfranchisement.
It does matter. Why change something that isn't broken?
Exactly, states want to encourage voter participation. That's only bad from the right's vantage.
There IS harm in 'improvements' if they limit participation from legal voters.
It's 'baffling' that you keep demanding changes to a system that works.

Ah. I don’t watch Fox but why am I not surprised by this simplistic throw away line...🤡

The gravy seals were just out there to stop all the mexicans from voting!!!
12d9a803c916b4b327d3211cf5c35650
OMG!
Wait a doggone minute...are you telling me that we have Mexican citizens voting in our elections? 🤯
Hey, we know you live in Cali and this is everyday stuff but come on...
You sure that’s not some dudes in Halloween costumes?

I’m a fan of early voting. Haven’t voted on Election Day since 2004. Am I doing it wrong? Oh nooozz...

It does matter. Why change something that isn't broken?
Exactly, states want to encourage voter participation. That's only bad from the right's vantage.
There IS harm in 'improvements' if they limit participation from legal voters.
It's 'baffling' that you keep demanding changes to a system that works.
More Republicans NEED to vote - but we’re discouraging (legal) voting.
Got it.

I can remember them being an issue once before…

Roughly a week and a half into the Florida recount, the issue of counting overseas absentee ballots came front and center, and ended up giving Team Bush a major victory in the court of public opinion.

On Wednesday, November 15, 2000, Al Gore lawyer Mark Herron sent a memo to Democratic recount observers telling them how to challenge late-arriving overseas absentee ballots that did not have a valid postmark on them.

This would have potentially thrown out the votes of hundreds of military members stationed overseas. In a race separated by about 300 votes at the time, these votes could have been decisive in choosing the next president.

By Friday morning, Republican staffers got a hold of the “Herron memo” and quickly passed it up the ranks to George W. Bush’s recount chief, former Secretary of State James Baker.

“We thought this is manna from heaven,” Baker recalled to CNN. “How in the world can you put out a memo that the only reading of which is to suppress the votes of our military men and women?”

Baker wasted no time in seizing on the issue.

“We jumped on that with both feet as we should have,” Baker explained. “Here we have our – these brave young men and women serving us overseas. And the postmark on their ballot is one day late. And you’re going to deny him the right to vote? It was a very forceful argument.”

Democrats argued that they were simply following the laws.

“The idea that people were going to vote after the election and have those votes count, that’s a pretty irregular idea,” said Ron Klain, who served as the Gore campaign’s general counsel.

“The Republicans and the clerks in counties, they were actually sticking to the law,” Gore Florida Senior Adviser Nick Baldick added in a recent interview with CNN. “The clerks were elected Republicans. They were actually doing the tough thing and saying, ‘No, these can’t be counted. They’re being FedExed in three days after the election.’”

Regardless, Bush surrogates – including Gulf War hero Norman Schwarzkopf – went out in force over the weekend decrying the alleged suppression of military ballots.

The Democrats had to make a public counter argument, and chose to put vice presidential nominee Joe Lieberman on NBC’s “Meet the Press” to defend Gore’s side of the story.

Klain could not brief Lieberman on the issue until Saturday night, because Lieberman was observing the Sabbath. After briefing the vice presidential nominee on the Gore position, Klain thought Lieberman “seemed to agree with that and seemed to be prepared to defend that.”

But when moderator Tim Russert pressed him on the issue Sunday morning, Lieberman publicly contradicted the Gore position.

“I would give the benefit of the doubt to ballots coming in from military personnel,” Lieberman said.

Gore loyalists watching at headquarters in Tallahassee exploded.

“I screamed some profanities,” Baldick recalled, upon watching Lieberman’s answer. “May have thrown some things. I was very upset.”

Gore himself chastised Lieberman after his “Meet the Press” appearance.

“I was over at the vice president’s residence for a meeting,” Lieberman remembered. “And Al said, ‘Before we get to the business, I just got to tell you, I was really disappointed, and a lot of others in the campaign were, about your answer on the military ballots.’”

To this day, Lieberman defends his public stance on the matter.

“It was not consistent, or right, for us to say, ‘Try to find a technical reason to not count an absentee ballot,’ and particularly not appropriate for us to say it when those ballots were coming in from Americans who were serving our country overseas,” he told CNN.

Democrats remain divided on the issue, even 15 years later.

Got it.
You can sarcastically dismiss that self-defeating GOP conundrum, but party leaders sure aren’t.
More and more Repubs are acknowledging that Trump and other GOPers so loudly and relentlessly demonizing mail-in and other early voting while fearmongering about election fraud for so long has shot the GOP in the foot.
You can easily Google and find lots of discussion about it from right, center and left media and other sources, take your pick.
Just one example:

Reactions: BelemNole
Got it.
Who is discouraging legal voting? How? The fewer barriers to voting means more people vote. You all just don't like it because you think every additional vote will be against your ideals. Why do you think that?

OMG!
Wait a doggone minute...are you telling me that we have Mexican citizens voting in our elections? 🤯
Hey, we know you live in Cali and this is everyday stuff but come on...
You sure that’s not some dudes in Halloween costumes?
Naturally you're ok with armed people trying to prevent people from voting - to you more voting means more dem votes.
If you actually wanted to know who these people are and what they're doing you could look it up. You wont' because you know the real answer.

Who is discouraging legal voting? How? The fewer barriers to voting means more people vote. You all just don't like it because you think every additional vote will be against your ideals. Why do you think that?
Why do you assume that?

You can sarcastically dismiss that self-defeating GOP conundrum, but party leaders sure aren’t.
More and more Repubs are acknowledging that Trump and other GOPers so loudly and relentlessly demonizing mail-in and other early voting while fearmongering about election fraud for so long has shot the GOP in the foot.
You can easily Google and find lots of discussion about it from right, center and left media and other sources, take your pick.
Just one example:
As a person not an acolyte of the previous President I have no interest in the past.
And I don’t hesitate to say I have little interest in your cherry picking quotes from a small band of nutjob extremists.
I’m a proud RINO after all. But I’m a citizen and I’m properly registered and ready to show my ID.
I would never and have never objected to HOW a fellow citizen votes. I only want all of our legal votes to count. And this voting machine business is just absolutely inexcusable REGARDLESS of which party dominates the city/county/state.

Naturally you're ok with armed people trying to prevent people from voting - to you more voting means more dem votes.
If you actually wanted to know who these people are and what they're doing you could look it up. You wont' because you know the real answer.
You historically make assertions that fit your opinion of me but you wouldn’t know me if you passed me on the street.
We have each other on ignore on another site and it would appear that should continue on this one.

You historically make assertions that fit your opinion of me but you wouldn’t know me if you passed me on the street.
We have each other on ignore on another site and it would appear that should continue on this one.
I only know of you what you post. That has told me that you're set in your ways and willing to take cheap shots at people if you feel you're losing an argument.
But I don't have you on ignore. I ignore trolls. You're just a boomer who thinks all the advancements since you were a privileged youth are detrimental.

As a person not an acolyte of the previous President I have no interest in the past.
And I don’t hesitate to say I have little interest in your cherry picking quotes from a small band of nutjob extremists.
I’m a proud RINO after all. But I’m a citizen and I’m properly registered and ready to show my ID.
I would never and have never objected to HOW a fellow citizen votes. I only want all of our legal votes to count. And this voting machine business is just absolutely inexcusable REGARDLESS of which party dominates the city/county/state.
Me “cherry-picking quotes from a small band of nut job extremists”???
WTH are you even talking about.
When somebody takes the time to clearly say “You can easily Google and find lots of discussion about it from right, center and left media and other sources, take your pick.
Just one example:…” that’s the opposite of “cherry-picking”.

Your alleged resistance to evaluating why & how things happened in the past sure seems super selective based on how many lookbacks on these boards you approve of and participate in. Curious.

And what “voting machine business” are you referring to here? Is it Dominion suing all those who promoted the libelous nonsense about their corrupt machines switching people’s votes?

You have a short memory. Think Algore and hanging chads.
Sure we can talk about that. FL took 3 WEEKS to declare a winner and then the conservative memebers of the SC stopped a recount. Gore then conceded without making claims that the election was a fraud. Even though it was obviously a political move to prevent him from winning.
Because he didn't cry 'fraud' no one else did until Trump.

I only know of you what you post. That has told me that you're set in your ways and willing to take cheap shots at people if you feel you're losing an argument.
But I don't have you on ignore. I ignore trolls. You're just a boomer who thinks all the advancements since you were a privileged youth are detrimental.
I grew up in a very modest blue collar home. I was the first person in my family to go to college.
Privileged youth? That’s hysterical.

Sure we can talk about that. FL took 3 WEEKS to declare a winner and then the conservative memebers of the SC stopped a recount. Gore then conceded without making claims that the election was a fraud. Even though it was obviously a political move to prevent him from winning.
🙄

Has there ever been a case of widescale ballot fraud? Of fraud changing an election? Take your time.

Come on you can't really believe that. Gore was smart enough unlike Trump to have his minions do the work for him. Others have already posted quotes here to the same. Get out of your binary Democrats good Republicans bad thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT