ADVERTISEMENT

Navy vs. Marine Story!

Frosty Frog

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2002
Prologue: In 1975 I was attending “The Basic School” which is a 6-month infantry training program required of all new Marine lieutenants. The end of TBS culminated with an division-size, real-life amphibious assault off Onslow Beach, South Carolina. As I’m sure you’ve all seen, beachhead assaults during WWII were via the old landing craft where the front ramp drops down and the Marines rush out in the open - like in Saving Private Ryan - and needless to say the casualties were almost 100%. Fast forward to 1975, where tactics were changed from LSTs - landing craft- to amphibious tractors so Marines would load inside to be driven onto the beachhead, be more protected from gun fire and therefore reduce casualties.
The amphibious tractors are loaded in the bottom of a transport ship and when they are ready to launch the attack the front of the ship opens up, the water comes rushing in, and the amphibious tractors drive out. So, we are in the bottom of the transport ship waiting for orders to launch the attack, sea sick from not only the motion of the ocean, but also from inhaling the diesel fumes from the tractors running. Now when you have to puke it’s only natural to find something to vomit in. Right? Lining the sides of the belly of the ship were these galvanized tool boxes and Marines were raising the lids and puking in them when an irate, crusty old Navy boats-in-mate appears shouting out, “You stupid ass jarheads, don’t barf in our tool boxes! Barf on the floor! When the front of the ship opens up the water will rush in and wash out the puke!” I’m 74 years old and I’ll carry that memory with me forever.

OP, who do you think would win in a fight? A Navy SEAL or a Marine Recon?

Tough call - as a son of a Marine - not even going to touch that one!!

Remember Wake!!

There were the Marine Raiders of WWII, the Navy frogmen which evolved to the current Navy Seals-

There was only one Marine Raider Battalion in WWII. They went ashore at Guadalcanal and when the army relieved them the Raider Batt. was disbanded and they were melded into the 1st Marine Batt. A friend's father was a CeBe on the canal and ended up being a sniper there and for the rest of the war. He carried two rifles, an "03" Springfield and a BAR. I hunted with them for several years and his dad only used a .22-250 and would shoot deer through the eye at 350 to 400 yards. Never missed.

Reactions: 65BowtieNole

Used to work with a ton of retired Recons and my buddy (Stickman) would always say they (SEALS) are the baddest MFers you'll run into.

They did a lot of joint ops with one another.

I passed the SEAL qualifier and wanted to go to BUDS but I got processed very quickly 😂😂.

Couple of my buddies made it through. They are a different breed.

I would say it goes SEAL then Recon. JMO...

Last edited:
Used to work with a ton of retired Recons and my buddy (Stickman) would always say they (SEALS) are the baddest MFers you'll run into.

They did a lot of joint ops with one another.

I passed the SEAL qualifier and wanted to go to BUDS but I got processed very quickly 😂😂.

Couple of my buddies made it through. They are a different breed.

I would say it goes in this order SEAL, Ranger, then Recon. JMO...
Agree - SEALs are a different bread - no doubt - to think about what it takes to earn that Trident - amazing!

Depends on who the SEAL or Recon was fighting.

Both would beat the tar out of whoever they fought.

Oh, you meant if they fought each other. Whoever gets in the first shot.

Force recon and Navy Seals training were consolidated to save money some time ago. It’s like pilot training where Marine pilots go through the Navy’s flight school in Pensacola. FL. So, they both receive the same training. Hope that answers your question.

Force recon and Navy Seals training were consolidated to save money some time ago. It’s like pilot training where Marine pilots go through the Navy’s flight school in Pensacola. FL. So, they both receive the same training. Hope that answers your question.

As in BUD/S and BRC?

As in train together? Or they go through some of the same training regiments?

I know they both train in airborne and combat diving techniques and through the Basic Reconnaissance training but after initial training they branch in different directions.

Regardless both are elite military units and I appreciate the hell they put themselves through.

I worked with a former Navy corpsman. He was stationed in the Philippines. His job was vaccinating incoming sailors. On a daily basis the sailors would harrass the nurses. If one (usually a Marine) got out of hand, he would take the syringe and tap the needle on the concrete block wall behind him two or three times. Tink, tink, tink. Usually the room was silent by the third tink. Then he would ram it home and buckle the offender's knees. Behavior improved every time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT