ADVERTISEMENT

NHL playoffs start tonight!

Goes without saying, what a game from Guentzel! Natural hat tricks are rare, but four in a row?!? And in the playoffs no less?!?

Oh, and also: Philly fans as classy as always at the end of the game. We lived there for almost 5 years before moving to Pittsburgh 11 years ago, and I went to many Flyers (season tickets because I love hockey so much) and Phillies games so I feel at least somewhat qualified to say that Philly sports fans are generally just really ugly human beings.

I’m glad the Pens are moving on of course, but it’s extra special to send the Flyers and their a-hole fans packing.
I was surprised by the hate for the Pens on Twitter yesterday during and after the game. Nasty.

I was a big fan of hockey in the days before mandatory helmets and when fights were FIGHTS! Had season tickets for the Caps and loved every minute of it. Then I kinda slacked off for a few decades until recently. My boyfriend is a huge Penguins fan and we have been watching the series with the Broad Street Bullies. What a bunch of thugs. Loved watching their fans file out dejected yesterday. Go Pens!

At the risk of jinxing my Caps, they've done something very un-Washington like in their series against CBJ, coming back from the dead and taking a 3-2 lead after losing games 1 & 2 at home. Hope we can maintain the momentum and finish this off tonight.

At the risk of jinxing my Caps, they've done something very un-Washington like in their series against CBJ, coming back from the dead and taking a 3-2 lead after losing games 1 & 2 at home. Hope we can maintain the momentum and finish this off tonight.
Out of curiosity, I checked ticket prices for Game 6 in Columbus: You can get lower bowl, center ice tickets for less than $100. That's crazy. The lowest price ticket for Game 5 in Nashville was just north of $300.

Washington's going to pull it off. What's the reward? Yet another meeting with their nemesis (and everyone else's the past couple of years) Pittsburgh in the 2nd round.

Reactions: EconSean
Bring on the Caps!

As a Pens’ fan, I probably shouldn’t admit this, but I’ve come around on Ovechkin, don’t despise him, and if he wasn’t playing the Pens, I’d pull for him/the Caps. However, GO PENS!

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Washington's going to pull it off. What's the reward? Yet another meeting with their nemesis (and everyone else's the past couple of years) Pittsburgh in the 2nd round.

I completely hate the NHL seeding system. Tampa should get Pitt and Washington should get the Bruins/Leafs winner (with home ice over Toronto).

Reactions: NoleLizards
I completely hate the NHL seeding system. Tampa should get Pitt and Washington should get the Bruins/Leafs winner (with home ice over Toronto).
I don't even understand why they have divisions.

The NHL has made a series of bad decisions to seemingly negate what is a very strong on-ice product. There's a reason hockey fans boo Gary Bettman at pretty much every opportunity.

Interestingly, this year only 1 first-round series will go 7 games.

I see Malkin's out. Gives me hope for tonight.
Hagelin too. He’s a key piece of the PK unit, and is always capable of a SH goal (and he’s been contributing offensively at even strength lately too).

Should be another slugfest. That said, I have to wonder if the Caps will fold quickly if the Pens manage to win game 1 tonight. I know they lost the first two to Columbus, but the Pens must be in their heads to some extent, given recent history.

If the Pens don’t repeat, I really would like to see Ovi win the Cup...although Vegas winning would be amazing, and Winnipeg would be great too (although I have trouble picturing either of those happening).

Hagelin too. He’s a key piece of the PK unit, and is always capable of a SH goal (and he’s been contributing offensively at even strength lately too).

Should be another slugfest. That said, I have to wonder if the Caps will fold quickly if the Pens manage to win game 1 tonight. I know they lost the first two to Columbus, but the Pens must be in their heads to some extent, given recent history.

If the Pens don’t repeat, I really would like to see Ovi win the Cup...although Vegas winning would be amazing, and Winnipeg would be great too (although I have trouble picturing either of those happening).
If the Pens want a cheap convenient place to stay while in Washington, the Caps' heads are available. :confused:

An odd game between the Pens and Caps.

Both teams has tons of chances but couldn’t finish, in large part because the goalies were unreal. But then again, there’s no way Murray should let the second goal get by him.

Then Sid starts doing Sid things, and Mr. Playoffs, Jake Guentzel, gets revved up again, and the Caps are now in a tough spot mentally, maybe even more so when they realize the Pens just did that without Malkin and Hagelin, and that the Pens played lengthy stretches of poor hockey, and the Caps still couldn’t pull away.

Pens in 6. :)

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Come on Caps.

I watch very little regular season hockey , but enjoy the playoffs..

I have no rooting interest in this match up other than I hope a truly great player gets a shot at the finals. This has been a great series

Reactions: NoleLizards
Caps are their own worst enemy with all of the penalties. Pittsburgh's too damned good to play against shorthanded all of the time.

Holtby has been incredible tonight. The Pens have had many great looks and Holtby has been up for the task.

Go Pens!

Come on Caps.

I watch very little regular season hockey , but enjoy the playoffs..

I have no rooting interest in this match up other than I hope a truly great player gets a shot at the finals. This has been a great series
Living in Pittsburgh and being a Pens fan, I probably shouldn’t say this, but I kind of like Ovechkin, and if the Pens don’t win the Cup, I’d like to see Ovie get it.

If someone had never watched hockey, this is the game that makes them a fan..just a great game...lets go Caps

Reactions: ericnole
Meh, this Pens/Caps series is just to see who will get eliminated by the Bolts. They're too fast for any of the remaining teams in the east.

Chances are slim we'll see a rematch of last year's Stanley Cup.

How crazy would it be if Vegas won it all this year. Has a first-year expansion team ever won a title in any major sport?

Reactions: hatsbo
It was nice to see the Bruins eliminated. I think I'll be rooting for the winner of the Jets/Predators series. Not a ton of marquee names left out there, but the hockey's been fun to watch so far.

Nice to see the Caps and their their fans end the "Curse of the Penguin." Now it's officially a rivalry. Bruin's season ends but I'm satisfied, they went way beyond everyone's expectations, have a solid core of youth and vets, and have some decent cap space to work with in the off season. Bolts are the real deal, impressed with their second line.

Chances are slim we'll see a rematch of last year's Stanley Cup.

How crazy would it be if Vegas won it all this year. Has a first-year expansion team ever won a title in any major sport?

Kind of. The Browns won the championship their first year in the NFL, but they played in the AllAmerica Football Conderence before joining the NFL. As far as other real startups, the fastest expansion teams were the Milwaukee Bucks and the Arizona Diamondbacks which both won in their third season.

Nice to see the Caps and their their fans end the "Curse of the Penguin." Now it's officially a rivalry. Bruin's season ends but I'm satisfied, they went way beyond everyone's expectations, have a solid core of youth and vets, and have some decent cap space to work with in the off season. Bolts are the real deal, impressed with their second line.
It is indeed a great feeling to best the Pens finally...and while being shorthanded, no less.

It's a great series win obviously, but the reward is now having to face arguably the fastest most-talented team in the league. Is there a tougher path to win a championship than having to navigate one's way through the Stanley Cup Playoffs?

Reactions: hatsbo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT