ADVERTISEMENT

Niceville/Destin/Fort Walton Beach

DrillSergeant Porter

Star Player
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2019
Anyone from this area of Florida? My wife and I are looking to relocate there and would love any recommendations on areas to live or if there are any booster clubs in the area and where they get together to watch games? Thank you and Go Noles!

Reactions: culhane
I don't live there, but Destin is super nice. If you are looking for a small town atmosphere, Niceville is a great little town that's very close to Tally. Can't help with Ft Walton Beach. I actually have never been there. I do know they have a booster club in the area. Somewhere in one of Warchant's links is a listing of all booster clubs.

Anyone from this area of Florida? My wife and I are looking to relocate there and would love any recommendations on areas to live or if there are any booster clubs in the area and where they get together to watch games? Thank you and Go Noles!

We live in Miramar Beach. The housing inventory in Walton County is crazy low right now. I love the area, and the above recommendation is good advice. Niceville would be my choice in Okaloosa county. The Seminole club is out of Destin: https://www.facebook.com/destinseminoleclub/

I’d recommend Niceville, maybe the sub division by mid bay bridge.
Emerald Bay if I remember correctly, just across the bay from Destin.
I lived in Fort Walton (until the late 60’s) and later had properties in Miramar Beach until 2016. The congestion, traffic, tourists etc. etc. became a huge negative for us so we sold out.
If I were to move back over there, I would try to find something in Niceville.
Again, a short drive, or boat ride to Crab Island, Destin, the Destin Harbor, restaurants shopping etc.
Welcome to Florida!

You might want to check out a site called City-Data.com, go to Forums, and then to Florida. They have every city/town listed with forums to ask questions and have them answered with current info by residents and others who've recently moved there as well.
It's a nice area. Good luck!

Grew up in Fort Walton..love the place still but it's getting really run down as all the money has gone to Destin and SoWal...I still visit but I would never live their full time anymore as traffic is insane 6 months a year now...the other 6 months when it used to become quiet are not that slow anymore either...unless your really well off Destin and SoWal really are not affordable....Fort Walton and Niceville are not exactly reasonable either these days...most reasonable housing in the area is in places like Freeport and Crestview but those are not exactly beach living

Grew up in Fort Walton..love the place still but it's getting really run down as all the money has gone to Destin and SoWal...I still visit but I would never live their full time anymore as traffic is insane 6 months a year now...the other 6 months when it used to become quiet are not that slow anymore either...unless your really well off Destin and SoWal really are not affordable....Fort Walton and Niceville are not exactly reasonable either these days...most reasonable housing in the area is in places like Freeport and Crestview but those are not exactly beach living

I didn’t want to say that about Ft. Walton but you’re right. If you live on the beach area it’s not bad if you like the condo life though. And you’re right about anything off the beach. You’re basically gonna have that more country panhandle feel.

I grew up in Destin and lived there for 25 years. Personally, a lot depends on your home budget but I go (1) Destin, (2) Niceville, and a very distant (3) FWB. You pay a fairly high premium for living in Destin but if you can afford it, it's a great place to live. Niceville, especially places like Bluewater Bay and Swift Creek, amongst others, is a really good option because I think you get more for your money. FWB could be nice but in a lot of cases they don't take care of their property as well as Destin and Niceville. In fact, I can't name a really nice area in FWB that I would want to live in (I'm sure it exists I've just never visited any place like this....). Good news is that as long as you choose somewhere in Okaloosa County, the schools are fantastic (if you still have children). I wouldn't want to send my kids to public school in Walton County. If you don't have children then Miramar Beach, Santa Rosa Beach, Seagrove etc are fantastic places to live. Just my opinion (sorry if I'm offending anyone)

I didn’t want to say that about Ft. Walton but you’re right. If you live on the beach area it’s not bad if you like the condo life though. And you’re right about anything off the beach. You’re basically gonna have that more country panhandle feel.
A lot of people like that though. I don't mean trailer park country panhandle feel but a lot of people like Southern homes/architecture, which is a lot more common in Niceville for example, and the woods more than the italian/stucco/cookie cutter beach look that you can get at times in Destin. I love Destin (I grew up there) and if you can afford to live in Regatta, Kelly, Sandestin, Indian Bayou, or off Indian Trail it can be amazing but you really have to look hard sometimes to find places you like outside of that if you aren't in love with stucco. Personal preference completely though.

I have a house in navarre and its a really nice quiet place between Gulf Breeze and Ft. Walton.

I’d recommend Niceville, maybe the sub division by mid bay bridge.
Emerald Bay if I remember correctly, just across the bay from Destin.
I lived in Fort Walton (until the late 60’s) and later had properties in Miramar Beach until 2016. The congestion, traffic, tourists etc. etc. became a huge negative for us so we sold out.
If I were to move back over there, I would try to find something in Niceville.
Again, a short drive, or boat ride to Crab Island, Destin, the Destin Harbor, restaurants shopping etc.
Welcome to Florida!
I think you are thinking of “Bluewater Bay” everything else was spot on. Go Noles.

I grew up in Destin and lived there for 25 years. Personally, a lot depends on your home budget but I go (1) Destin, (2) Niceville, and a very distant (3) FWB. You pay a fairly high premium for living in Destin but if you can afford it, it's a great place to live. Niceville, especially places like Bluewater Bay and Swift Creek, amongst others, is a really good option because I think you get more for your money. FWB could be nice but in a lot of cases they don't take care of their property as well as Destin and Niceville. In fact, I can't name a really nice area in FWB that I would want to live in (I'm sure it exists I've just never visited any place like this....). Good news is that as long as you choose somewhere in Okaloosa County, the schools are fantastic (if you still have children). I wouldn't want to send my kids to public school in Walton County. If you don't have children then Miramar Beach, Santa Rosa Beach, Seagrove etc are fantastic places to live. Just my opinion (sorry if I'm offending anyone)
This is the most accurate post I have seen so far in this thread. I grew up in Bluewater Bay from early 90s through HS graduation in 07. Went to Niceville HS and I think objectively it is the best public school in the area now per the rankings, plus the football team has been crushing it lately.

Rocky Bayou / Swift Creek / Bluewater Bay all great areas to live and grow up. Public schools exceptional in Okaloosa and you get to avoid the Destin tourism but go to the beach during slower weekends of your choice. Also Niceville has been expanding some (as far as small towns go) with some breweries and national brands coming in.

My parents recently sold the house in Bluewater full ask in 24 hours so the market is a bit crazy right now. They moved to Shalimar to be on a lake or they would have lived there forever. Go Noles.

I was born in that area and still live here. I’d recommend Niceville, but as others have said, the property values are crazy high right now. Freeport is a growing area about 30 minutes east of Niceville. It’s fairly close to the beaches without the higher cost of living. If you’re looking for a lot of land and cheaper housing options, look at Crestview. It’s about 45-50 mins north of the beaches.

I have lived in Santa Rosa Beach since 2012.

1st, and I don't believe I have seen it mentioned is that this whole area is very military friendly.

Housing market is stupid right now. Niceville is indeed nice, but is getting compressed (its locked in by either Choctawhatchee Bay or Eglin)

Destin, Miramar Beach, Santa Rosa Beach are all nice. It's so nice the entire SE likes to vacation here. So, if tourist are problematic, look elsewhere.

Freeport is growing fast and is still affordable (just added a new Publix if that tells you anything).

2 negatives are there isn't much industry here, except you could swing a dead cat and hit 6 realtors and lack of a downtown. I kind of wish SoWal had an older part (although Pt Washington is kind of old).

Niceville is far and away the best HS in the area (as mentioned) but the schools in SoWal are really good. This area is very affluent and there aren't many private offerings, so most go the public route.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help.

1 last thing, where we moved here a buddy asked: you got a boat? I didn't. He said, you'll get a boat, don't worry. When I asked why, he responded "you will eventually want to get away from people. East and West is 98 and allllllll the people. North and South are water and no people. Eventually, you'll want to get away from the people."

He was right on both accounts.

Last edited:
I will always love fort Walton as it is where I grew up but would love to see some real money put into the area. Okaloosa island is great but the city of fort Walton needs a face lift. The traffic going out to Destin is beyond ridiculous, they have made major improvements getting from crestview to fort Walton or Destin but from fort Walton to Destin is a nightmare. I can’t imagine dealing with that day in and out

This is the most accurate post I have seen so far in this thread. I grew up in Bluewater Bay from early 90s through HS graduation in 07. Went to Niceville HS and I think objectively it is the best public school in the area now per the rankings, plus the football team has been crushing it lately.

Rocky Bayou / Swift Creek / Bluewater Bay all great areas to live and grow up. Public schools exceptional in Okaloosa and you get to avoid the Destin tourism but go to the beach during slower weekends of your choice. Also Niceville has been expanding some (as far as small towns go) with some breweries and national brands coming in.

My parents recently sold the house in Bluewater full ask in 24 hours so the market is a bit crazy right now. They moved to Shalimar to be on a lake or they would have lived there forever. Go Noles.
Yeah I think we're a little biased as Niceville grads. I went to FWBHS for two years and then transferred to NHS (I had to say I did it for academics but I really did it for athletics ;)). One of the best decisions I've made. GO EAGLES!!!

But yes I agree with everything you said above. Rocky Bayou is also a really good option (I forgot to mention that one) as is around Edgewater Dr next to Rocky Bayou (I dated a girl that lived there during High School). You really can't emphasize how terrible the traffic is in Destin for pretty much the entire summer.....it's a nightmare. Niceville, other than on Friday nights in the fall and the Mullet Festival, is relatively low key. I've always loved Niceville even before I started going to school there.

I was born in that area and still live here. I’d recommend Niceville, but as others have said, the property values are crazy high right now. Freeport is a growing area about 30 minutes east of Niceville. It’s fairly close to the beaches without the higher cost of living. If you’re looking for a lot of land and cheaper housing options, look at Crestview. It’s about 45-50 mins north of the beaches.
Freeport is not quite there yet but it could be there in maybe 10 to 20 years. I've known people who've lived out in a new development out there and they've complained a lot about being basically 20 to 30 minutes from everything they need. But Freeport definitely has a lot of potential.

You can get a ridiculous amount for your money in Crestview. There does tend to be a negative moniker about Crestview if you grow up in the area but it's not a bad place at all other than being 45 minutes north of the beach if you are really into the beach.

Retired enlisted usually end up in north Okaloosa. 7th Special Forces Group usually settle in Crestview. Mostly retired officers in the south end. No one mentioned Baker and Laurel Hill. Those are K-12 schools in Baker/Laurel Hill. Traffic is terrible all over the county. I’ve lived here all my life.

Destin is nice, but very touristy and traffic is horrible as hwy 98 is the only way to get around. Niceville is a small town and to be honest, not a lot is happening there. It's on the bay and is quiet, but they don't even have a Target...which every women needs according to my wife. Fort Walton Beach is a military town and to be honest, is very tired and worn down.. It would definitely be last on my list for you.
Two options you should consider are the Pensacola area to the West and South Walton County to the East. In Pensacola you get a decent sized city, with quite a bit to do. Pensacola beach is only a few miles away and is beautiful. It has 3 colleges, including the reigning D2 football national champions University of West Florida, minor league baseball with a stadium votes best in the country (of any level baseball), minor league hockey, and a really good downtown scene (Google palafox st pensacola), it's also home to the Blue Angels, and the national museum of naval aviation. South Walton County is where Sandestin is and is also home to the famous 30a area which gorgeous but CRAZY expensive...we're talking MULTI million dollar homes. It's idyllic though. Have you ever seen the Truman show with Jim Carrey? It was filmed there. Just some food for thought.

You might want to check out a site called City-Data.com, go to Forums, and then to Florida. They have every city/town listed with forums to ask questions and have them answered with current info by residents and others who've recently moved there as well.
It's a nice area. Good luck!
Just yet another impressive classic pearl of wisdom to help your fellow man. Are you related to Julie McCoy? She used to work on a boat and was very popular.

You might want to check out the Panama City Beach area too. Lower cost than South Walton and a great area. Depending on your "vintage" they are building a Latitude Margaritaville community there. The PCB Seminole Club rocks! Those of us living on 30A in SoWal head to this club for FSU functions. Also, the South Walton area is pricey but there are plenty of areas that are reasonable depending on your wants and price range.

Grew up in FWB too. Any of you guys go to FWB high in the mid to late 80s?

You might want to check out the Panama City Beach area too. Lower cost than South Walton and a great area. Depending on your "vintage" they are building a Latitude Margaritaville community there. The PCB Seminole Club rocks! Those of us living on 30A in SoWal head to this club for FSU functions. Also, the South Walton area is pricey but there are plenty of areas that are reasonable depending on your wants and price range.

My wife has been the president of the PC Club for the last 5 years, I showed her this and she appreciated it

From Pensacola (38 yrs) but in Raleigh now. I would t choose Niceville myself. Destin is super touristy. I would say Ft. Walton out of those. But that’s just me.

From Pensacola (38 yrs) but in Raleigh now. I would t choose Niceville myself. Destin is super touristy. I would say Ft. Walton out of those. But that’s just me.
Out of anywhere in Okaloosa, South Walton or South Santa Rosa County I think FWB is the last place I would want to live. FWBHS and Choctaw are both great schools, I’m not knocking them but the city itself is very run down. There may be some nice pockets somewhere but they are not easy to find out there. Personally, it would depress me to live in FWB; I don’t relish saying that but it’s the truth. Im not trying to be snobby whatsoever but FWB is a relatively old city compared to the rest of the county and it shows. Pretty much everything in FWB desperately needs a facelift, other than the high schools. Both schools are well kept and regularly make improvements to their facilities. Academics at both are also very good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT