ADVERTISEMENT

Oriental ...

In essence, it's the equivalent of referring to people south of the Mason-Dixon line as hicks or hillbillies or rednecks.
But most of those people consider those terms of endearment or badges of honor.

And hillbillies are everywhere. Upstate NY and Maine are so chock-full of whiskey tango it's unsettling. I was informed by a local there that they are called "woodchucks" much to my amazement and enjoyment.

But most of those people consider those terms of endearment or badges of honor.

And hillbillies are everywhere. Upsate NY and Maine are so chock-full of whiskey tango it's unsettling. I was informed by a local there that they are called "woodchucks" much to my amazement and enjoyment.
Yes, you and I can call each other rednecks, but do you think we would let someone from Joisey get away with doing the same?

Reactions: NoleLizards
Yes, you and I can call each other rednecks, but do you think we would let someone from Joisey get away with doing the same?
Funny....My Dad was born in Newark (and still has a bit of a loud Italian-Yankee accent now in his 70's) but moved to Virginia as a kid and is Southern through and through (loves NASCAR, etc.).

Archie Bunker would have a tough time these days!

Gone are the days of Archie, George Jefferson, Fred Sanford, Patches o’ houlihan, and the barber, foreman and kowalski from “ Gran Torino”!

Me, I just let this crap roll off my back

Sticks and stones, baby!

Funny....My Dad was born in Newark (and still has a bit of a loud Italian-Yankee accent now in his 70's) but moved to Virginia as a kid and is Southern through and through (loves NASCAR, etc.).
Good move by your dad, Newark is a pit now.

It is totally fine, as long as you use the word “feller” immediately after it. Like this: “did anyone see the little Oriental feller come through here?” See if this helps. Thanks.

I've probably actually said this or something very similar at some point. :oops:

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
It is totally fine, as long as you use the word “feller” immediately after it. Like this: “did anyone see the little Oriental feller come through here?” See if this helps. Thanks.

I've probably actually said this or something very similar at some point. :oops:
Why am I hearing the voice of the sheriff from Live and Let Die when I read that quote?

Two things I cannot understand about folks:
  1. The "I don't mind being called the quasi-insult for what I am, so why do other people mind me calling them their version of it?" mindset. Some people like to be peed on, I wonder if they walk around thinking "I like to get peed on, why does everyone else get pissed when I try to pee on them?"
  2. The desire to call folks a name you know is frowned upon.
What is this perverse insistence on litigating your ability to use words folks don't care for? Can't folks just be like "cool, I'll call you the name you prefer" rather than demanding that you be able insult them while simultaneously claiming "I got nothing wrong with them". If you respect someone, you'll respect their feelings.

I was told by a friend of mine that if I said Merry Christmas to a Jewish person I was an ass, even if I had no idea they were Jewish. This is the world we live in now.
This is a bizarre example.

I'm as liberal (and atheist) as they come, and then some, and I don't mind at all if someone says "Merry Christmas" to me. I usually just respond in kind and move along getting to the subject at hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NebNoles

I'm as liberal (and atheist) as they come, and then some, and I don't mind at all if someone says "Merry Christmas" to me. I usually just respond in kind and move along getting to the subject at hand.

However, if I get the feeling they're trying to push some religious agenda on me (which does happen more than you might imagine), I'll be happy to politely reply "You know that's all made up, right?", then laugh, shake my head, and walk off.

Maybe they find religion therapeutic and are simply being nice and wanting to share what they have learned?

Can't folks just be like "cool, I'll call you the name you prefer" rather than demanding that you be able insult them while simultaneously claiming "I got nothing wrong with them". If you respect someone, you'll respect their feelings.

You could if you tried.

Maybe they find religion therapeutic and are simply being nice and wanting to share what they have learned?
Yep that's all well and good. Generally I politely listen / try to redirect or exit the conversation -- that's totally different from what I'm referring to re: pushing their agenda.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NebNoles
Two things I cannot understand about folks:
  1. The "I don't mind being called the quasi-insult for what I am, so why do other people mind me calling them their version of it?" mindset. Some people like to be peed on, I wonder if they walk around thinking "I like to get peed on, why does everyone else get pissed when I try to pee on them?"
  2. The desire to call folks a name you know is frowned upon.
What is this perverse insistence on litigating your ability to use words folks don't care for? Can't folks just be like "cool, I'll call you the name you prefer" rather than demanding that you be able insult them while simultaneously claiming "I got nothing wrong with them". If you respect someone, you'll respect their feelings.

I dont think anyone here is saying that they would keep calling someone a name if they were asked to stop. We all would.

The question is where does it stop? It gets tricky and hard to keep up with. You used "folk" a few times. How do you know that doesnt offend someone? If they don't tell you, how would you know?

There are words that change meaning over time. Idiot, imbecile, moron were all clinical terms that became offensive, and were later changed to mildly retarded and severely retarded. These are now considered offensive and people now call it the "r word". Then mentally challenged came out and people are against that. I think the new term is mentally disabled, but that's probably offensive to some also. The word retarded was used by schools when i was there until the late 90s, so these things sometimes change quickly.

It's hard to keep up with these if you are not expressly told on what to say or keep up with current social justice themes. (Some of these are now changing almost over night. I saw where some feminists were offended by adding trans to lgb and now some are offended by "people of color").

Most people in here are not out to hurt anyone, but have no clue on what is currently looked down on. Oriental is pretty obvious to most, but other terms not so much.

Reactions: nynole1
I was told by a friend of mine that if I said Merry Christmas to a Jewish person I was an ass, even if I had no idea they were Jewish. This is the world we live in now.

It was beyond bizarre. And he was inflexible.

I dont think anyone here is saying that they would keep calling someone a name if they were asked to stop. We all would.

The question is where does it stop? It gets tricky and hard to keep up with. You used "folk" a few times. How do you know that doesnt offend someone? If they don't tell you, how would you know?

There are words that change meaning over time. Idiot, imbecile, moron were all clinical terms that became offensive, and were later changed to mildly retarded and severely retarded. These are now considered offensive and people now call it the "r word". Then mentally challenged came out and people are against that. I think the new term is mentally disabled, but that's probably offensive to some also. The word retarded was used by schools when i was there until the late 90s, so these things sometimes change quickly.

It's hard to keep up with these if you are not expressly told on what to say or keep up with current social justice themes. (Some of these are now changing almost over night. I saw where some feminists were offended by adding trans to lgb and now some are offended by "people of color").

Most people in here are not out to hurt anyone, but have no clue on what is currently looked down on. Oriental is pretty obvious to most, but other terms not so much.
It doesn't stop and there nothing wrong with that.

I've never once actually put any effort into knowing which words are offensive and which are not. You just pick it up and adapt.

It's seriously not that hard.

And if I got the feeling that people were offended by 'folks' I'd stop using it, wouldn't even wait to be told.

The way I navigate these issues while working in a context that is hypersensitive to language and terminology, e.g., all of the cognitive functioning descriptors mentioned previously come from my professions, is to expect to make mistakes, not panic or be defensive, offer genuine apologies immediately, and to ask to be educated whenever possible.

I tend to avoid most trouble by simply refrainjng from applying any descriptor or label before inviting a person to tell me how they identify.

Four times today already, I had absolutely no idea how to pronounce the next name on my schedule. I went to my waiting room approached the person and asked them what name they preferred me to use. People appreciate that consideration in my experience.

I go to an Oriental market to buy this and that. On the receipt it says, Oriental Market. If they're ok with it, I'm ok with it...

I go to an Oriental market to buy this and that. On the receipt it says, Oriental Market. If they're ok with it, I'm ok with it...
Hmmm, just checked google maps and I have 3 Oriental Markets in my proximity.

Confused-Little-Girl-Is-At-Loss-For-Words.gif

I thought rednecks were ok with being called rednecks? I've never thought of the term and having negative connotations.
Some people use the term as an insult because they equate "redneck" with lack of education, racism, violence, etc. The problem is that most Southerners equate redneck with blue collar, working with your hands, mostly manual labor, and doing whatever one has to do to make ends meet and take care of their family.

It's hard to effectively use it as an insult if the target sees the term as indicative of positive character traits and a source of pride.

Reactions: NoleLizards
That approach had a downside for Delaney at the Kendrick Lamar concert in Alabama recently.

Declaring who can and can't say words seems more about power and control than equality.
I like how he appealed to the crowd. That was most fitting of all.

I just skimmed the thread and must admit that I am thoroughly confused. So who of Orientals, Asians, Rednecks, Hillbillies, Damn Yankees, Atheists, Jews, Liberals or Christians like being peed on? I've never really heard that was a thing except for this black feller who is a famous singer. Can we still say black if we follow it with "feller"?

I just skimmed the thread and must admit that I am thoroughly confused. So who of Orientals, Asians, Rednecks, Hillbillies, Damn Yankees, Atheists, Jews, Liberals or Christians like being peed on? I've never really heard that was a thing except for this black feller who is a famous singer. Can we still say black if we follow it with "feller"?
You know that “feller”came from country talk about them old boys who cut timber. They felled them there big ole trees... was them fellers trash talking them other peeps who axed them to cut stuff oxcidentally?

Reactions: Gonolz
Easy enough to be polite. Sometimes words change with the times and it's really just about being respectful and trying not to purposely offend someone. I don't really care for the "that's just who I am/that's just how I roll" attitude.

Some people on the other end of the spectrum take it too far, of course, but they're mostly just ignored except by people looking to be offended on the other side.

Declaring who can and can't say words seems more about power and control than equality.
I like how he appealed to the crowd. That was most fitting of all.
You should say any and every word you'd like. Just know that others should and will to react as they see fit to those words coming out of your mouth.

I can call a random dude's wife "sugart!ts" but I'd have to be prepared for his reaction when he realizes that I am neither him nor an 80 year old man in a movie from the 1970s. Doesn't mean I can't say it though.

So go ahead, if that's how you want to conduct yourself, then do it.

As for the Kendrick concert, wow Delaney should have known better (understatement) and she's unbelievably lucky Kendrick was so incredibly gracious. That she had no idea or self-awareness that she knowingly said that word, twice, into a hot mic, in front of like 10,000 strangers is alarming and makes me wonder what she talks like when she's in front of her crew. SMH x 1000.

You should say any and every word you'd like. Just know that others should and will to react as they see fit to those words coming out of your mouth.

I can call a random dude's wife "sugart!ts" but I'd have to be prepared for his reaction when he realizes that I am neither him nor an 80 year old man in a movie from the 1970s. Doesn't mean I can't say it though.

So go ahead, if that's how you want to conduct yourself, then do it.

As for the Kendrick concert, wow Delaney should have known better (understatement) and she's unbelievably lucky Kendrick was so incredibly gracious. That she had no idea or self-awareness that she knowingly said that word, twice, into a hot mic, in front of like 10,000 strangers is alarming and makes me wonder what she talks like when she's in front of her crew. SMH x 1000.

She sang a song that he wrote. At his concert. After he encouraged her to do so.

Maybe he should write songs without using that word.

She sang a song that he wrote. At his concert. After he encouraged her to do so.

Maybe he should write songs without using that word.
I had no idea who Delaney was or what this incident was, so I had to look it up. Apparently he asked an audience member to get up and sing his song during a concert full of mostly white kids. She was just having fun and probably got carried away singing his lyrics. Kinda seems like it was set up purposely.

This seems like faux outrage. What if she was black, would anyone have been triggered? What if she was quarter black? What if she identified as black?

She sang the lyrics to his song at the guys concert at his request. What was really expected? This one I don't get.

Easy enough to be polite. Sometimes words change with the times and it's really just about being respectful and trying not to purposely offend someone. I don't really care for the "that's just who I am/that's just how I roll" attitude.

Some people on the other end of the spectrum take it too far, of course, but they're mostly just ignored except by people looking to be offended on the other side.
Your point makes sense, but what's considered "annoying" changes so rapidly, it's difficult for me personally to keep up. I may therefore "offend" some people unknowingly. Is that actually offensive in such a case?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT