ADVERTISEMENT

Oriental ...

You should say any and every word you'd like. Just know that others should and will to react as they see fit to those words coming out of your mouth.

I can call a random dude's wife "sugart!ts" but I'd have to be prepared for his reaction when he realizes that I am neither him nor an 80 year old man in a movie from the 1970s. Doesn't mean I can't say it though.

So go ahead, if that's how you want to conduct yourself, then do it.

As for the Kendrick concert, wow Delaney should have known better (understatement) and she's unbelievably lucky Kendrick was so incredibly gracious. That she had no idea or self-awareness that she knowingly said that word, twice, into a hot mic, in front of like 10,000 strangers is alarming and makes me wonder what she talks like when she's in front of her crew. SMH x 1000.
You don't even realize how out of touch your statement is, do you?

Some man calls ME "sugart!ts" I'd set him straight. No man needed to protect little old me. They're not on HIS chest, are they?

Reactions: KitingHigh
I had no idea who Delaney was or what this incident was
Nor did I.

This does seem kind of crazy.

Identity politics at it's finest. It doesn't matter whether something is right or wrong, but that the identity (in this case race) makes it right or wrong. And yes I understand in many people's opinions it matters, but in my opinion it shouldn't. Right is right regardless of your race, gender or other identifying factor and wrong is wrong regardless of that also. And for words context matters as well as the audience, time, place and relationship of the people using the term towards each other.

Sugart!ts!

I gotta laugh at that

I in my 60 years have never heard that said

Goldie, I would never say that to you or any other woman

But I have said many other stupid stuff over the years!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: goldmom
Sugart!ts!

I gotta laugh at that

I in my 60 years have never heard that said

Goldie, I would never say that to you or any other woman

But I have said many other stupid stuff over the years!

*Too far

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems like faux outrage. What if she was black, would anyone have been triggered? What if she was quarter black? What if she identified as black?.

It’s 2018, she could just hold up her Ancestry.com readout.
Which begs the question, how black does she have to be for it to be ok?
Because if I’m following this correctly whether or not it is socially permissible is if she can stake a claim over which she has no control, or even input.
Quadroon? Octaroon? Hexadecaroon?

You don't even realize how out of touch your statement is, do you?

Some man calls ME "~~~~~" I'd set him straight. No man needed to protect little old me. They're not on HIS chest, are they?
Fair enough but my point is unchanged.
I'm free to call someone that name and they or their husband/friends/whoever are likely to pushback, either verbally or physically.

No one says I can't say it - but my own good common sense should tell me that (in addition to the fact that I'd never even want to say it b/c it's old and creepy [and demeaning and objectifying]).

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
It’s 2018, she could just hold up her Ancestry.com readout.
Which begs the question, how black does she have to be for it to be ok?
Because if I’m following this correctly whether or not it is socially permissible is if she can stake a claim over which she has no control, or even input.
Quadroon? Octaroon? Hexadecaroon?
Seriously, if you want to say it, just say it.

Why create so many posts asking why some "can" and others "can't" or asking "who can"?

Reminds me of the mindset of a petulant child who claims to have no desire to do some particular thing until s/he is told they shouldn't, at which point they want nothing more than to do that very thing. We are now a nation in which our children are not petulant but our adults are.

What is this perverse desire to litigate the freedom to use that word. There are so many larger issues in the world to discuss, yet in the last 7 days I've seen threads on both the TC and LR devolve into "why can only some people use that word but not others". Who knew so many FSU fans really wanted to be able to say it? I guess I knew.

She sang the lyrics to his song at the guys concert at his request. What was really expected?
What was expected was that she skip that word.

Even in the privacy of my own home I skip that word. It's not hard at all. Frankly saying that word would require some mental gymnastics.

If your mind doesn't have an automatic 'off' switch for that word, there's something suspect about you.

Reactions: FSU_UCLA
Seriously, if you want to say it, just say it.

Why create so many posts asking why some "can" and others "can't" or asking "who can"?

Reminds me of the mindset of a petulant child who claims to have no desire to do some particular thing until s/he is told they shouldn't, at which point they want nothing more than to do that very thing. We are now a nation in which our children are not petulant but our adults are.

What is this perverse desire to litigate the freedom to use that word. There are so many larger issues in the world to discuss, yet in the last 7 days I've seen threads on both the TC and LR devolve into "why can only some people use that word but not others". Who knew so many FSU fans really wanted to be able to say it? I guess I knew.
Wish it was reality, but too many people are white knighting and getting triggered by words used by some groups but not others. Double standards are confusing to some.

Wish it was reality, but too many people are white knighting and getting triggered by words used by some groups but not others. Double standards are confusing to some.
Not sure what your first sentence even means.

But the second... this isn't confusing to anyone unless they're a martian or intentionally playing dumb.

Again, if you want to say it, say it. You're free to do so. Others are free to react however they see fit.

Even in the privacy of my own home I skip that word. It's not hard at all. Frankly saying that word would require some mental gymnastics.

If your mind doesn't have an automatic 'off' switch for that word, there's something suspect about you.
She just didnt want to get booed by misquoting and culturally appropriating his lyrics.

She just didnt want to get booed by misquoting and culturally appropriating his lyrics.
Is this what she said or are you just creating your own random argument, if it's the latter then let's just stop here.
Not going down this never ending rabbit hole with a guy who seemingly just wants to say offensive words and will engage in whatever mental gymnastics are necessary to make it seem like it's out of pure innocence.

Is this what she said or are you just creating your own random argument, if it's the latter then let's just stop here.
Not going down this never ending rabbit hole with a guy who seemingly just wants to say offensive words and will engage in whatever mental gymnastics are necessary to make it seem like it's out of pure innocence.
Lol. Just having fun. I find this just as absurd as you do.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Here's another one that made me pause when I first saw it. Cracker, especially used as Florida Cracker. I still don't think I fully understand what it means but Cigar City named a beer Florida Cracker so I assume it is not negative in any way.

Here's another one that made me pause when I first saw it. Cracker, especially used as Florida Cracker. I still don't think I fully understand what it means but Cigar City named a beer Florida Cracker so I assume it is not negative in any way.
The Museum of Florida History here in Tally has a display that explains it. Crackers were cattle ranchers that settled SW Florida back in the day.

The Museum of Florida History here in Tally has a display that explains it. Crackers were cattle ranchers that settled SW Florida back in the day.
Correct. It was used to describe the sound the bullwhip made by the FL cattlemen settlers.
51qc6%2Bqj--L.jpg

Asia refers to a continent. Japan and China refer to nations. Oriental is literally a slur referring to foreigners from east of Europe.

Regardless, as others have already said, feel free to choose to call people by whatever label you prefer and learn from the responses you receive.

How can it be a slur to identify someone as being from the Orient? Is the Orient offensive?

How can it be a slur to identify someone as being from the Orient? Is the Orient offensive?
Honestly until this thread I had no idea it was considered a slur and I am Asian and have never even heard it used in context that would be meant to be taken as a slur or offensive. I mean I suppose context matters and this just doesn't seem to be a word where context doesn't matter to me. If someone was saying something in a bullying or aggressive manner using that word, then sure I guess they are meaning for it to be a slur although they would generally go with much more offensive terms more commonly used. Many Asian businesses use it in their name and I think use it as a descriptor for pride and to express exoticism.

Why create so many posts asking why some "can" and others "can't" or asking "who can"?.

Because it’s the only interesting part of this topic.
The intellectual dichotomy between on the one hand advancing the notion that we should be judged on our actions, and not the things we can’t control, but then on the other hand judging an action differently simply because of a factor that individual can’t control. That stuff always piques my curiosity.

Status/super status and group identity stuff are interesting to me. The human animal is really fascinating and the Star bellied Sneetch story is Dr Seuss far and away best.

Reactions: squiffynole
When my daughter was little we didn't know what the proper term was to describe people when she was around. Did we say black, white, Caucasian, Asian...so we decided anytime we were going to going to the ---- person, we would just insert Canadian. Worked like a charm! Nobody around us never got offended, and she grew up describing people the PC way.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Because it’s the only interesting part of this topic.
The intellectual dichotomy between on the one hand advancing the notion that we should be judged on our actions, and not the things we can’t control, but then on the other hand judging an action differently simply because of a factor that individual can’t control. That stuff always piques my curiosity.

Status/super status and group identity stuff are interesting to me. The human animal is really fascinating and the Star bellied Sneetch story is Dr Seuss far and away best.
You're overcomplicating the issue.

The word carries with it centuries of baggage, pain, anguish, oppression, slavery, rape, and murder by one group of people onto another. Yet you look at it in a vacuum devoid of historical context and human emotion under the guise of some so-called "intellectual dichotomy".

I dunno, this strikes me as disingenuous and/or simply argumentative.

Say it if you want, don't if you don't. Can't teach folks common sense or empathy I guess.

Either way, I'm out.

When my daughter was little we didn't know what the proper term was to describe people when she was around. Did we say black, white, Caucasian, Asian...so we decided anytime we were going to going to the ---- person, we would just insert Canadian. Worked like a charm! Nobody around us never got offended, and she grew up describing people the PC way.
So you called everyone Canadians?

Even in the privacy of my own home I skip that word.
It's not hard at all. Frankly saying that word would require some mental gymnastics.

Lol that's funny right there if you were just singing a song

You do know that "Canadian" is restarunt lingo for black people right?

Reactions: goldmom and nynole1
Can't teach folks common sense or empathy I guess.

Common sense tells me that if we can’t stop treating people differently based on race then we can’t expect people to stop treating people differently based on race.

Your point makes sense, but what's considered "annoying" changes so rapidly, it's difficult for me personally to keep up. I may therefore "offend" some people unknowingly. Is that actually offensive in such a case?
Huge difference IMO between not realizing something is or has become offensive vs knowingly using words or labels you probably shouldn't.

Using example above, wishing anyone a genuine Merry Christmas isn't offensive and shouldn't be a problem. Getting in everyone's face to say Merry Christmas!! and writing Merry CHRISTmas on everything because of a perceived War On Christmas seems unnecessarily antagonistic to me.

I think too many people are falling into the is vs them trap and we've lost the ability to just connect with people despite our differences.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Asia refers to a continent. Japan and China refer to nations. Oriental is literally a slur referring to foreigners from east of Europe.

Regardless, as others have already said, feel free to choose to call people by whatever label you prefer and learn from the responses you receive.
"Oriental is literally a slur"? It's only a slur because some folks decided they considered it a slur, not because it is used as a slur by those saying it. If someone is from the orient it doesn't literally make someone else a racist, or racially biased, because they call them oriental people. It's a preference on a case by case basis by some people from Asia. I guess what I'm saying is........I'll call people by what they express as their preference (which I will respect and I do usually use the term "Asian") but I'm not going to be guilt shamed by calling a person from Asia an oriental unless they express their personal preference.

Reactions: kelleynole#1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT