ADVERTISEMENT

Penn swim team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean. It’s competition. The reason everyone is mad about it is because it’s “unfair.” If the person is not going to dominate it’s not unfair. Each league can decide on a case by case basis what is fair and whom should and should not be allowed to play.
It's pretty entertaining to see the people who are having a hard time refuting basic biology, try and be a contortionist to justify their tribal beliefs. It's interesting to see how many of your normal compadres are dipping out on this conversation. It's a hard argument to win, when basic common sense is so hard to overcome

It's pretty entertaining to see the people who are having a hard time refuting basic biology, try and be a contortionist to justify their tribal beliefs. It's interesting to see how many of your normal compadres are dipping out on this conversation. It's a hard argument to win, when basic common sense is so hard to overcome
I know I decided not to weigh in when terms like "freakish", "oddball" and "mental illness" started being used. Sometimes it's not worth weighing in knowing who you are dealing with.

What do you mean. It’s competition. The reason everyone is mad about it is because it’s “unfair.” If the person is not going to dominate it’s not unfair. Each league can decide on a case by case basis what is fair and whom should and should not be allowed to play.
I guess I don’t understand why it matters if they win. Sure there’s a fairness element, but that goes along with male/female sports being segregated. Fairness is but one reason for segregating the sports. The only reason to allow biological males to compete in female sports is for feels to be spared.

Reactions: Spenser1
I think it needs to be case by case basis. There has to be a way to make these determinations that can be fair such as X amount of time on hormone therapy to start. I don't like a blanket "no the person can't compete ever" or "yes the person can always compete regardless of circumstances."
spoken like a true progressive, and there are a lot of people that agree with you I however do not You are born male or female and that is not something anyone has any control of.

everyone knows there are differences between male and female, someone has the right to be choose any number of different personal choice but being born male or female is not one of them

when you change your mind thats fine but not at the expense of others. Inclusion at the expense of others is just being weak minded

Yes..........going back to that genetic advantage issue.....but again how can you have a different set of rules for transgender athletes than the others?
I like to think you are a reasonable intelligent person so you should easily be able to see how they can make a rule for trans athletes. IF you were born with male plumbing you play sports with the males, born with female plumbing you play sports with the women, simple as that. You are not discriminating against any rights that keep them from living life as they would like.

spoken like a true progressive, and there are a lot of people that agree with you I however do not You are born male or female and that is not something anyone has any control of.

everyone knows there are differences between male and female, someone has the right to be choose any number of different personal choice but being born male or female is not one of them

when you change your mind thats fine but not at the expense of others. Inclusion at the expense of others is just being weak minded
So simple. So common sensical. So right.

I like to think you are a reasonable intelligent person so you should easily be able to see how they can make a rule for trans athletes. IF you were born with male plumbing you play sports with the males, born with female plumbing you play sports with the women, simple as that. You are not discriminating against any rights that keep them from living life as they would like.
I understand that....................what makes you think I don't? But, what about taking substances that help the transition? A genetic female taking testosterone for her transition to a he? The current female swimmer taking testosterone reducing substances that leave her with 3-4 times the testosterone as a genetic female? That is what I was talking about.

I have made my issue clear with having a genetic male competing in female only competitions. Not fair. But, then you have to deal with the issue of using substances that might be banned. A lot to work out.

Reactions: GbrNole
I copied and pasted directly from you're post. So if it's not there, you didn't write in you're narrative. Honestly, just admit you were wrong and you're a democrat and can't take responsibility for your own actions. Take off your high heels and put em back in the closet. JEEZ Karen.

You keep trying to change what you posted like you're a 7 year old. You may have been on the website for a long time, but if you're wrong about a post, you're wrong. All the whining doesn't change what you wrote. Get over it and GO NOLES!!!
I came to this thread knowing this was a contentious subject. Fully understanding that this situation would elicit strong opinions and rightfully so. I was pleasantly surprised about the civil discussions taking place until well...

Your name calling and disrespect for a fellow poster is uncalled for and symptom of a larger personal and social problem. We can have a discussion about heated subjects without resorting to elementary retorts and this thread was an example of a hard subject being handled with respect until... I'll get off my high horse now and let anyone who needs to be outraged do so.

I happen to whole heartedly agree that this particular instance is a clear example of society being asked to stretch their sense of justice for the sake of one individual. I am a centrist Democrat who has become appalled at the level of vicious interactions each side has become willing to engage in.

Edit: On a side note to keep some light hearted banter going. Do yourself a favor and Google the images of this new female. No amount of hormones are going to change the 20+ years of broad shoulders, slim hips, long arms, big hands and general masculinity he/she acquired through genetic specificity.

Last edited:
My experience on this topics is everyone can be civil until there own children are affected and then it gets ugly,

Look less than 2% of the population in American is LGBT and the less than 1/2 a percent that are gender confused or transitioned in today’s society.. The group is able to freely do what ever they choose and that is the right thing to do! However again they do. not have the right to interfere , disrupt, or cause unfair and unrealistic
Burdens on female athletes or the remaining 98% of the population because we have to be more tolerate of their feelings, I personally do not care about their feelings and choose not to be a part of that community , just as they should not care about my feelings and choose not to be a part of the other 98%,

Bottom line beating the best swimmer (female) by 30 seconds and breaking every record by a person who is male and demanding to compete as a female is just as intolerant as the other way around, if it is that big of a deal then establish a trans swimmers or athletic association and allow everyone to compete for the trans world championship and let the female compete against females.

This is such a weak minded argument that results in someone feeling left out, reduced or the feeling of being reduced.

That happens to most every people on the planet several times no matter what biological sex one is, does it hurt more if you are in trans gender

Ok well a male should compete in men's sports (which is what they are called). In the case of Serena Williams I think she played a male player once and not a top notch one. She lost of course which shows you the difference between a superior female against females and against males. So if a top rated tennis player wanted to get hormone therapy and become a female player would that be ok? Would it be ok depending on the domination level?

In this case I just don't think its fair to the other competitors that they have to compete against a male athlete.
I would not allow it. I do not care if you identify one way or the other in other walks of life. However in athletics it is a matter of fairness and this situation is clearly unfair to the other girls. I would make the rule that you are forced to compete in the gender you were assigned at birth. It might not be completely fair to that individual but it the closest we can get to fairness overall.

This is finally getting some attention beyond the swimming world. The NCAA set the rules and it said 1 year of testosterone reducing therapy and you are good to go. So when he was competing as a male, through age 20, he was a really good Ivy league swimmer and qualified for NCAAs in the mile (means you are generally in the top 40 in the country). He becomes a she and comes back with a year or two of eligibility. Last November in an invite meet, she swims the #1 times in two events and the #3 time in a third. The times she swims in 1 event would have won the NCAAs last year. She isn't that far off from Ledecky's NCAA records. When she swam in that meet, the whole crowd sat on their hands when she finished and applauded wildly for the second place finisher who was literally 30 seconds behind in one event and 2 laps behind in another.

Her advantages gained through puberty as a male aren't anywhere close to being overcome by lowering her testosterone a little bit. It's not clear what her current testosterone level is, but I saw one report that it is still several times higher than the average female. In swimming, having thinner hips, wider shoulders, longer arms, taller, bigger hands and feet are all physical advantages for a male. Then there is the, on average, 30% advantage in strength of males over females that does not completely go away with testosterone reducing drugs. Most research has demonstrated only a 5% reduction in strength. This literally has the ability to end women's sports as we know it. And if she breaks Ledecky's records all hell will break lose.
THIS. ANYONE who goes thru puberty as a male has undeniable advantages over a female. Any physiologist can explain that, but PC doesn't allow it to be publically discussed. I predict, if this ridiculousness continues, that one day when the gun goes off all the 'actual females' will stay on the starting blocks and let the 'other guy' run (or swim) the race by him/herself. IMO the 'guy' is literally STEALING opportunities from the women, especially when the women in high school are looking for scholarships. I thought that was what Title IX was supposed to be all about??? Oh well, stupid is as stupid does....

Is there any reason you left out the part where I said "if"? I assume you did that on purpose because it did not fit your narrative and you were hoping everyone else wouldn't notice.

Also, I've repeatedly said if the person is dominating and their genetic advantage is apparent then ban them.
No offense, but this is truly illogical and, well, ignorant position to take. Do you really think the swimming, track and field, whatever, organizations are going to want to handle this on a case-by-case basis, and based on how good the athlete is? My God, what a can of worms that would open up! Who would decide the criteria and who would apply them? That's extra-truly ridiculous. The ONLY reason people were OK with it in your area is because the person in question wasn't very good, when one comes along who IS good I guarantee you the tune will change.

UPDATE: FINA and IOC have not updated their protocols to account for this situation. So, the NCAA will not. So, as of now she is fully eligible to swim in conference, NCAA and national championships. She did not swim in their last invitational swim meet. No public announcement as to why. Sick? Something else?

UPDATE: FINA and IOC have not updated their protocols to account for this situation. So, the NCAA will not. So, as of now she is fully eligible to swim in conference, NCAA and national championships. She did not swim in their last invitational swim meet. No public announcement as to why. Sick? Something else?
There was an update yesterday from USA swimming that included elite vs non elite athletes, age groups ect... Seemed to put a damper on him competing with the women. Didn't read the whole report just saw a headline.

No offense, but this is truly illogical and, well, ignorant position to take. Do you really think the swimming, track and field, whatever, organizations are going to want to handle this on a case-by-case basis, and based on how good the athlete is? My God, what a can of worms that would open up! Who would decide the criteria and who would apply them? That's extra-truly ridiculous. The ONLY reason people were OK with it in your area is because the person in question wasn't very good, when one comes along who IS good I guarantee you the tune will change.

Amazing timing on your part. The group that decides swimmer eligibility will decide swimmer eligibility on a case by case basis. How ignorant and illogical of me to suggest they can do the thing that they're going to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: twins4bpyle
Are they going measure heart and lung capacity? Males have an advantage there and I don't think hormones will change that.

Amazing timing on your part. The group that decides swimmer eligibility will decide swimmer eligibility on a case by case basis. How ignorant and illogical of me to suggest they can do the thing that they're going to do.
From what I read it looks like this wont benefit the person in question. He will most likely get categorized as elite and since he competed as a male before would be in eligible for records, championships ect... At least that's what I got out of it. But in a way they are taking the "if your no good it doesn't matter" stance.

From what I read it looks like this wont benefit the person in question. He will most likely get categorized as elite and since he competed as a male before would be in eligible for records, championships ect... At least that's what I got out of it. But in a way they are taking the "if your no good it doesn't matter" stance.
Which is what I said they would do. I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with it but some posters calling me ignorant and essentially an idiot for suggesting this was even a possibility is pretty hilarious.

Actually, that is for swimming in designated "elite" swimming events under US Swimming and those making junior national time standards. It does not apply to swimmers not competing under US Swimming designation. So, the Penn swimmer still has the ability to swim college and go to the NCAA championships at this point. It does not apply to High School events either. Finally, it does apply to swimmers in the 13-14 age group that would gain a national age group record (these swimmers might not have made junior national times standards).

It lowers the required testosterone level by half to 5mml/l (still twice the level of the average female) and lengthens the time of continuous testing to 36 months (from 12 months). The panel of three doctors are required to assess if any competitive advantage has been obtained by the athlete from their (male) genetics. It is unlikely that any athlete, even those that might have transitioned before puberty could prove no competitive advantage from being born male (with the average male being 6 inches taller, have larger hands and feet, slimmer hips and wider shoulders, larger heart and lungs, etc.).

We await for the NCAA to make a decision to use those standards and eventually HS governing bodies to do the same. There is also YMCA designated swim meets and national championships that will need to make a decision.

EDIT: Found one study of testosterone levels in elite swimmers. Men averaged 15 mml/l while women average 2.

Last edited:
There was an update yesterday from USA swimming that included elite vs non elite athletes, age groups ect... Seemed to put a damper on him competing with the women. Didn't read the whole report just saw a headline.
The NCAA has not changed their rules as of yet. I would be surprised if they didn't follow through with the US Swimming rules. And that can explain why she didn't compete in her last meet.

Whether it’s done or not doesn’t make it right or logical. It’s a simple equation. Boys play with boys. Girls with girls. And if you want some intersectional league or conference, go for it. But don’t force women to play against men. It’s just wrong.

Whether it’s done or not doesn’t make it right or logical. It’s a simple equation. Boys play with boys. Girls with girls. And if you want some intersectional league or conference, go for it. But don’t force women to play against men. It’s just wrong.
I think you mean males with males and females with females. I’ll just disagree that it’s inherently wrong. Don’t think we’re going to change each other’s opinion on it.

I think you mean males with males and females with females. I’ll just disagree that it’s inherently wrong. Don’t think we’re going to change each other’s opinion on it.
If the NCAA follows through replicating US Swimming this will make for interesting swim meets. Most teams, with the possible exception of the top 2-3 programs in the country have swimmers that don't have junior national times. So, it is possible for almost all teams throughout the different divisions to have transgender swimmers swimming in meets with the exception of the NCAA championships. So, if a transgender athlete swims too fast she can then not be eligible to swim in certain meets, but be eligible in others??????

If the NCAA follows through replicating US Swimming this will make for interesting swim meets. Most teams, with the possible exception of the top 2-3 programs in the country have swimmers that don't have junior national times. So, it is possible for almost all teams throughout the different divisions to have transgender swimmers swimming in meets with the exception of the NCAA championships. So, if a transgender athlete swims too fast she can then not be eligible to swim in certain meets, but be eligible in others??????
Seems very subjective which is probably by design. If they are no good then no worries. If they are good then they could act.

Guess so. I'm not sure why they don't just having testing requirements across the board.

i still contend that if i was a female athlete i would be poking the hornets nest with USADA, WADA and IOC to know why i can't use medication to alter my hormone levels.

open up pandora's box.
Also would be suing through Title 9 to establish who is a female and gets equal opportunities and who doesn't.

Not sure what those tests would be. Can we expect elite athletes to test average? Think this first stab at it, will need to be changed significantly for HS, NCAA, IOC and FINA to make it workable.
Sounds like they're just testing testosterone currently and elite athletes must show below a certain level for 3 quite some time to be eligible.

Sounds like they're just testing testosterone currently and elite athletes must show below a certain level for 3 quite some time to be eligible.
Assigning max testosterone levels is really problematic as 3% of elite swimmer women have higher that 5mil/l and 3% of elite men have lower than 5. Even though the average for elite swimming females is 2 and elite male swimmers is 15. Frankly, this is a weak work around for dealing with the central problem.

Assigning max testosterone levels is really problematic as 3% of elite swimmer women have higher that 5mil/l and 3% of elite men have lower than 5. Even though the average for elite swimming females is 2 and elite male swimmers is 15. Frankly, this is a weak work around for dealing with the central problem.
Especially when there is such a simple one.

So, you still don't get that anyone who goes thru puberty as a male has a VERY different physiology (such as bigger lungs and muscles) than a female? And guess what... having a low level of testosterone is NOT going to shrink the lung size or hand size or.... THIS is the problem with this, and yes, you are ignorant if you don't see it. Just take ONE look at the Penn swimmer and tell me he/she doesn't have an advantage over the other 'actual women' standing on the blocks. Lowering someone's testosterone level does NOT 'reverse' the advantages that a male obtains by going thru puberty AS a male. Enjoy your PC attitude, but one day common sense will prevail and enough women will get tired of losing scholly money and will simply refuse to participate. Watch and see!

So, you still don't get that anyone who goes thru puberty as a male has a VERY different physiology (such as bigger lungs and muscles) than a female? And guess what... having a low level of testosterone is NOT going to shrink the lung size or hand size or.... THIS is the problem with this, and yes, you are ignorant if you don't see it. Just take ONE look at the Penn swimmer and tell me he/she doesn't have an advantage over the other 'actual women' standing on the blocks. Lowering someone's testosterone level does NOT 'reverse' the advantages that a male obtains by going thru puberty AS a male. Enjoy your PC attitude, but one day common sense will prevail and enough women will get tired of losing scholly money and will simply refuse to participate. Watch and see!
So you agree I ended up being right on what they would do?

I mean boys/men and girls/women. I know we won’t agree but I don’t see other options. What people want/wish/identify as doesn’t change biology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT