ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 1 Sentry Tournament of Champions (sign up is open)

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • JTTOC-1268.jpg

HIGHLIGHTS
    Justin Thomas wins the Sentry Tournament of Champions
Reigning FedExCup champion Justin Thomas rings in the restart as defending champ at the Sentry Tournament of Champions, topping a 34-man field comprised solely of tournament winners from 2017.

Dustin Johnson, whose four PGA TOUR wins in 2017 were second only to Thomas, and Jordan Spieth also headline the roster to begin the TOUR’s Hawaiian fortnight. In all, Kapalua Resort welcomes seven of the top eight in the year’s final world rankings.

FIELD NOTES: Xander Schauffele, whose TOUR Championship triumph nailed down Rookie of the Year honors, and Jon Rahm top a group of 14 pros making their debut at Kapalua. That list also includes all four first-time winners from the fall schedule. … Kyle Stanley (The National) returns for the first time since 2013; D.A. Points (Puerto Rico) last played in 2014. … Thomas, Spieth (2016) and Johnson (2013) are the only former Kapalua champions in the field. … The 34-man roster matches the most in the past 15 years to come to the winners-only tournament. The 2007, ’11 and ’15 editions also featured 34 players.

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

STORYLINES: Thomas, who last year joined Ernie Els (2003) as the only men to sweep the Hawaii double, seeks an unprecedented third straight victory in the islands. For what it’s worth, Els won three in a span of four starts, repeating as the Sony Open champion in 2004. … Thomas would become the TOC’s first back-to-back winner since Geoff Ogilvy in 2009-10. … Rickie Fowler hopes a hot 2017 finish can extend into the new year. Fowler captured the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas, three weeks after almost repeating at the OHL Classic. … The Tournament of Champions actually dates back to 1953, with Gene Littler winning three of the first five editions. Jack Nicklaus won it four times.

COURSE: Plantation Course at Kapalua, 7,452 yards, par 73. Located at the foot of the West Maui mountains, the Plantation course opened in 1991 as one of the first projects by the team of Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore. The course offers some of the most breathtaking views found all season, with gentle trade winds allowing the winner to approach 20-under par over four days. Sometimes, though, the course’s exposure to the elements can flirt with the extreme, evidenced by a wind-whipped 2013 edition that required a Tuesday finish.

72-HOLE RECORD: 261, Ernie Els (2003).

18-HOLE RECORD: 62, K.J. Choi (3rd round, 2003), Graeme McDowell (4th round, 2011), Jason Day (4th round, 2015), Chris Kirk (4th round, 2015).

LAST YEAR: What first shaped up as a back-nine cruise for Thomas required a little more work than expected, eventually holding off Hideki Matsuyama’s late charge to notch his first TOUR victory on U.S. soil. Thomas held a five-shot advantage with five holes to play, only to see the margin quickly close to one when Matsuyama holed a flop shot for eagle at Kapalua’s 14th and Thomas double bogeyed No.15. After Matsuyama missed a birdie chance at No.16 that would have tied it, Thomas took matters back into his own hands. Facing 214 yards to the 17th pin, he striped an 8-iron that came to rest 3 feet from the flagstick for birdie and a two-shot edge. It was Thomas’ third PGA TOUR win, with the previous two having taken place in Malaysia.

HOW TO FOLLOW
TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 6-10 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday, 3-7 p.m. (GC). Sunday, 6-10 p.m. (GC).

PGA TOUR LIVE: PGA TOUR LIVE returns Jan. 19 at the CareerBuilder Challenge

RADIO: Thursday-Friday, 4-10 p.m. Saturday, 2-7 p.m. Sunday, 5-10 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

The PGSF FedEx Cup is back for its 10th year.

The rules are same as previous years,
Pick four players prior to first tee ( Picks must be posted prior to first tee , no exceptions) and you will be awarded the amount of FedEx Cup points the player receives. Highest point total wins that tournament.

The regular season will run through the BMW Championship and then the points will reset for the Tour Championship.

If any new players have questions just post in the thread.

Everyone is welcome to join, so please extend invites to anyone you would like. As always new players are free to join up until The Players Championship.

Back for more abuse.

Fowler
D. Johnson
Spieth
Thomas

Alright, then, my new PGA All-Knowing, All-Omniscient Deluxe Model Ouija Board tells me to pick the following:

Ricky Fowler
Dustin Johnson
Jordan Spieth
Justin Thomas

Jon Rahm
Xander Schauffele
Jordan Spieth
Justin Thomas

And thanks again NiA for running again! Looking forward to another enjoyable season.

Reactions: NoleLizards
welcome back everyone...

J Spieth
B Harman
D Johnson
P Cantlay

Now that was wild. Spieth gets to play a shot out of a guy's back yard and that is not OB. o_O:D

Now that was wild. Spieth gets to play a shot out of a guy's back yard and that is not OB. o_O:D

I did the same thing in a high school match. Got up and down too. When I was a kid I could get up and down from a trash can. Now, if I'm outside putting from the fringe, I'm lucky to get it inside 15 feet...

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I did the same thing in a high school match. Got up and down too. When I was a kid I could get up and down from a trash can. Now, if I'm outside putting from the fringe, I'm lucky to get it inside 15 feet...

You need to move the hole closer in that case.

DJ looking good thru 3 --hope he can stay healthy all year to see what he can accomplish with where his game has been/seems to be

This is Marc Leishman.
4c1fe9e1a0ec5b254b0ecc6bef75fd8f

This is Marc Leishman when I pick him.
Camping-Chair-Background.gif

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Jason SobelESPN Senior Writer
i

There's only been one hole-in-one on a par-4 in PGA Tour history, but Dustin Johnson nearly added another in the final round. Playing the 433-yard 12th hole with a big lead, Johnson's ball took the slope, reached the green and continued rolling until it stopped just a few inches shy of the cup. On the first Sunday of 2018, he might have already locked up honors for the best drive of the year.

Welcome back to the PGSF FedEx Cup.

Nice win for Dustin in the first tournament of the year. He was so strong on Sunday, if he drives the ball that way all year, he will be tough to beat.

In the first tournament of the year,
congrats to NoleinATL--got a few points from the only lefty in the field to get a little ahead of everyone that had DJ

Sentry%20ToC%202018_zpsinp7ef7d.png

Will post updated leader board shortly

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT