Re: PGSF NFL Draft - NolaNole9 is on the Clock

With the 27th pick, the New Orleans Saints select:
Dee Ford- DE/OLB- Auburn
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

With the 28th pick in the PGSF NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers select,

Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
130822124859-cyrus-kouandjio-single-image-cut.jpg

WR is obviously a big need, but it's not worth drafting one here. If Lee or Cooks were available, they'd probably be the pick, but there is no use in taking one when there are other needs and quality players available. The Panthers need an upgrade along the offensive line, and with Cam Newton leading their franchise, they need to protect him.

Strengths Terrific size with long arms. Uses his length
to push rushers wide -- day trip to run the arc on. Has the ability to
drop anchor and stymie the bull rush. Can latch onto, control and maul
his man. Can hook and seal or widen the hole in the running game.
Flashes the ability to bury defenders. Will be a 21-year-old rookie and
has clear potential -- is physically gifted with raw, moldable tools.

Weaknesses Has heavy legs and lacks ideal foot
quickness for blind-side protection. Footwork and hand use have to be
coached up -- looks clumsy at times. Carries his hands low. Struggles to
subdue counters and gets beat across his face -- limited lateral
quickness and needs to strengthen power step and inside punch. Average
contact balance -- too often bends at the waist and slides off blocks.
Inconsistent clearing his feet through traffic and spends too much time
on the ground. Labors to cut off fast-flowing linebackers and sustain on
the second level. Could stand to develop more of a mean streak.

Bottom Line Massive, long-limbed, inconsistent,
overhyped college left tackle whose sheer dimensions, raw tools and high
ceiling are far more appealing than his snap-to-snap performance at
this stage of his development. Has enough length and anchor strength to
survive on the left side, though he will never be a dancing bear, and he
projects more ideally as a bulldozing right tackle in a power scheme.

We have never ran through a 1st round this fast. I don't know if a 4th round is in order at this pace, but it is fun actually picking faster than average.

Originally posted by coloradonoles:
bojim,

As an FYI, the Rams don't have the 37th pick.... the Falcons do.
Thanks for the catch.

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - Semiologist is on the Clock

The Pats have a lot of needs. They need a go-to WR. They need younger OL help. But what they need most of all is DE. They basically played last year with just two guys at DE.
For the 29th pick in the 2014 PGSF draft, the NE Patriots select DE Stephon Truitt from Notre Dame. I think his injury (hernia surgery) lead to less than productive season last year. Couple that with a broken foot he played through for how long and I think his Soph season is better guide for his ability. Soph stats: 47 tackles, 13 for loss, 12 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, a fumble recovery, and one blocked kick. The Pats again find a gem in the late going of the first round.

With the 30th pick, the 49ers select WR from Florida State University, Kelvin Benjamin. I don't have time for a long write-up, but WR is a definite need area. EDIT: Can write a little more on lunch break: with Crabtree not locked up long term and Boldin's career winding down, WR is a position of need and Benjamin can greatly help Kap. With Crabtreem Boldin, Davis, and now Benjamin, the 49ers have a very formidable passing attack that can weather potential injuries, and still have a dynamic running game with Gore, James, the healthy Lattimore, and Kap.

USATSI_7658070_220956_lowres.jpg

STRENGTHS:[/B] Near-tight end size (6-5, 235) with a ridiculously large wingspan, giving him a catching radius that is probably on-par with anyone at the NFL level.

Shows the gliding speed and short-area quickness to create some separation and be a terror in jump-ball situations, especially in the red zone. Big hands, good hand-eye coordination and impressive body control to snatch passes outside of his frame. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder.

Experienced playing outside and in the slot and shows courage in crossing the middle. Tough to bring down in the open field, using his long arms to effectively stiff-arm defenders and showing suddenness to accelerate once the ball is in his hands. Attentive downfield blocker who works to seal off defenders as well as peel back to take out opponents in pursuit.

WEAKNESSES: Still developing as a route-runner, adding to questions about his ability to play a large role immediately in the NFL. While his size is problematic for defenders, Benjamin's length makes it difficult for him to sink his hips and explodes out of cuts, making him much better suited to verticals and crossing routes than double-moves, limiting his fit to certain schemes.

Drops too many passes. Allows the ball into his chest too often. Will take his eyes off the ball in an attempt to make the defender miss before actually securing the pass, leading to an occasional ugly drop. Seems to especially struggle with low passes, a problem for many taller receivers.

COMPARES TO: Plaxico Burress, Pittsburgh Steelers - Possessing impressive acceleration and a similar frame as the 6-5, 232-pound Burress, Benjamin is a big play waiting to happen. The junior remains rough around the edges, however, making him a bit of a boom-or-bust prospect.

This post was edited on 4/7 11:44 AM by fsugrad06

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - pdubb09 is on the Clock

With the 31st pick in the 2014 draft the Denver Broncos select Ryan Shazier LB Ohio State.

Originally posted by pdubb09:
With the 31st pick in the 2014 draft the Denver Broncos select Ryan Shazier LB Ohio State.
That is a steal at 31!

With the 32nd pick in the 2014 PGSF NFL Draft, the Seattle Seahawks select Morgan Moses, OT from University of Virginia. I was initially leaning WR and DL, but the guys I was targeting were gone, so they will look to solidify the OL after some free agency losses.

Overview

Started in 43 of 48 games played. Moved from right tackle to left tackle for senior season. 2013: Third-team All-ACC selection after starting in all 12 games at left tackle. Helped Kevin Parks to become UVA's first 1,000-yard rusher in a season since 2004. 2012: Played in 12 games, starting 11 at right tackle. 2011: Started all 13 games at right tackle. 2010: Played 11 games, started seven at right tackle. Became just the third true freshman in UVA history to start at offensive tackle (D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Brad Butler).
Analysis
StrengthsHas outstanding size and vines for arms -- sheer mass and length makes it difficult for rushers to run the arc on him. Has strength to anchor. Wins with his hands. Pulls with a head of steam and can eliminate defenders when he has a bead. Logged 43 career starts.
WeaknessesPlays too tall and needs to drop anchor more consistently. Heavy on his feet and tends to bend at the waist. Lethargic shifting his weight -- stressed by speed and quickness and cannot recover when beaten. Limited hip snap and is not sudden or explosive. Does not breathe fire -- plays smaller than his size in the run game and does not seek to bury defenders. Weight has fluctuated and conditioning needs to be monitored closely.

And with that we're on to the second round.

Great job guys.

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - DL817 is on the Clock

With the 33rd pick, the Houston Texans select Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

The Texans need to start over at QB and we feel at this pick Manziel represents a value at this pick, as most mocks have him going early first round. He can sit for this upcoming season and learn behind a smart, but unspectacular QB in Fitzpatrick. We realize this has potential to be a high risk-high reward pick, but we need to take chances to get the team better for the future.

STRENGTHS:[/B] Ranks among the more dynamic college football players in recent history. Remarkable maneuverability. Excellent agility and burst, as well as straight-line speed, but what makes Manziel so difficult to contain is his vision. Seems to possess eyes in the back of his head, showing incredible spatial awareness of those around him.

Actually more accurate on the move than he is standing flat-footed in the pocket and made significant improvement as a traditional pocket passer in 2013. Improved velocity and placement on intermediate and deep routes in his second season as the starter.

Highly competitive performer, who despite his hype as a party-goer, is respected for his work ethic and commitment to the team.

WEAKNESSES: Tendency to fall off his throws, even when standing flat-footed with no pressure. In falling away rather than stepping into his throws, passes lack consistency accuracy.

Willing to throw passes late and over the middle, and relies on his wideouts to make plays in jump-ball situations. Possesses enough arm strength to make every NFL throw but does not own a howitzer and projects best in a timing-based offense that utilizes rather than limits his creativity.

String of off-field issues brings maturity level and ability to handle the rigors of being the "face" of an NFL franchise into serious question.

Moses is a steal at 32... probably the best value in the 1st round.

This is where JFF SHOULD go. Takes a lot of the pressure off him.

Fastest 1st round I can remember.

With the 34th pick, the Washington Redskins select...

bradley-roby.jpg

Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State.

The Skins have addressed their weak CB position during free agency by re-signing Deangelo Hall & picking up Tracy Porter. However, the former is on the downside of his career, and the latter is pretty much shot at this point...so the corner position still needs help in D.C. This is a strong value selection as Roby had an excellent Combine and could well be the third corner off the board in the upcoming draft.

Washington was also considering OT Morgan Moses, but he was snatched off the board a couple of picks earlier.

Originally posted by coloradonoles:

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
I've been racking my brain and I can't figure out who JFF is....maybe it's just too early

I think he means Johnny F'n Football.

^^^^^yep

With the 35th pick in the PGSF NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select, Jimmie Ward, SS, Northern Illinois.

The Browns already made a huge splash in the first round with their new franchise QB in Bridgewater and another dynamic weapon in Watkins. Time to turn focus on the defense. They lost TJ Ward to Denver in the offseason. I debated going CB here, cause I still think they would like another playmaker at that position, but Ward has 1st round potential, and if he fell to 35, Cleveland would gladly snatch him up and replace Ward with him.

Strengths Flies around the field. Aggressive run
supporter. Shoots downhill and chops down ball carriers. Breaks on
throws and shows short-area burst to close. Has quick hands to snatch
interceptions. Confident and energetic. Productive -- registered 300
tackles and 11 INTs in three seasons as a starter. Has a special-teams
mentality and four blocked kicks to his credit.

Weaknesses Size is just adequate -- lacks ideal bulk
and is built more like a cornerback than a safety. Can be a tick late
diagnosing pass, gaining depth and digesting route combos. Lacks elite
top-end speed. Has man-coverage limitations. Inconsistent downfield ball
reactions with his back to the throw. Limited functional strength to
discard blockers when he gets snagged. Shows lower-body stiffness in
space. Has some maturing to do and needs to learn what it means to
prepare like a pro. Could rub some people the wrong way.

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - Manch is on the Clock

Why not. Lose one safety named Ward to my Broncos, just draft another.

The Raiders take Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington.

C'mon 6:42am......the Bucs know who they are drafting.......

Originally posted by coloradonoles

That's definitely got to be the fastest round I can remember as well...nice work guys

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - FSU3456 is on the Clock

With the 37th pick (leapfrogging the Falcons who have let the 24 hours pass) in the 2014 PGSF draft the Bucs select Gabe Jackson OG from Miss State.

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - FSU3456 skipped/ 1nole2 is on the Clock

With the 39th pick in the PGSF NFL Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select WR Odell Beckham WR LSU.Yes, QB is still a hugw need, but this offense lacks play makers and I honestly believe the Jags will draft best player available and will not reach for a QB. Beckham could fill a role in the slot and provide value in the kick return game.

Analysis
StrengthsQuick hands and feet to slip the jam. Fluid and fast. Good balance. Sinks his hips and changes gears to create separation. Quick hands to pluck off his frame. Terrific leaping ability -- climbs the ladder to snatch throws. Creates after the catch -- shows burst and shiftiness as a runner. Has playmaking ability. Confident and competitive. Has kickoff- and punt-return experience. Productive three-year starter.
WeaknessesAdequate height. Lacks elite top-end speed to separate vertically. Could stand to polish the finer points of his route running. Inconsistent making contested grabs -- can be out-muscled in a crowd. Has some concentration drops. Can improve as a blocker. Was not an impactful punt returner. Was held in check by Florida and Alabama.

The Vikings select Donte Moncrief WR from Ole' Miss.

That's a couple of interesting picks from Mississippi schools. Not bad selections at all...Just a little surprised Jackson & Moncrief went that high before some other prospects at the same positions.

So how long do we give 3456 before we either assign his pick to someone else or vote on it? I haven't seen him on here at all since his selection came up. I used to have his email but don't anymore, or I'd contact him.

Let's wait a couple more hours. If he gets skipped by too many people we'll deal with it then.

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - FSU3456 skipped/ NoleinAtl is on the Clock

With the 41st pick, the Buffalo Bills select David Yankey OG Stanford.

emailed from NIA

I'll have my pick up in a minute. I'm debating between two guys.

Originally posted by NoleLizards:
That's a couple of interesting picks from Mississippi schools. Not bad selections at all...Just a little surprised Jackson & Moncrief went that high before some other prospects at the same positions.

So how long do we give 3456 before we either assign his pick to someone else or vote on it? I haven't seen him on here at all since his selection came up. I used to have his email but don't anymore, or I'd contact him.
Sorry. I had to do some work before I could come back and play. Explanations for picks:
Gabe Jackson-The Bucs need OL help. Since they already picked up an OT in the 1st round, guard was next. I debated about Jackson vs. Yankey, and decided that Jackson's physicality (nice use of the catchword, Mr. Semi), plus mauling style was better suited to the Bucs offensive.
Donte Moncrief-The Vikes have a need for a receiver to open up the field, by going deep, to keep the safetys from playing down in the box. Paired with Carr, they should be able to open more lanes for AP. That...and Moncrief is a very good downfield blocker on run plays as well.

This has become similar to the real draft when Minnesota doesn't make their pick in time every other year or so. The other teams are lined up and ready to strike!
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Semiologist:

Sorry. I had to do some work before I could come back and play. Explanations for picks:
Gabe Jackson-The Bucs need OL help. Since they already picked up an OT in the 1st round, guard was next. I debated about Jackson vs. Yankey, and decided that Jackson's physicality (nice use of the catchword, Mr. Semi), plus mauling style was better suited to the Bucs offensive.
Donte Moncrief-The Vikes have a need for a receiver to open up the field, by going deep, to keep the safetys from playing down in the box. Paired with Carr, they should be able to open more lanes for AP. That...and Moncrief is a very good downfield blocker on run plays as well.
I was in no way questioning the wisdom of your selections. This was the just the first mock I've seen that had Jackson as the second guard off the board as well as Moncrief so high, so it surprised me. Obviously you've done your homework and have thoroughly backed up the reasons for your selections.

With the 42nd overall pick, the Tennessee Titans select QB A.J. McCarron, Alabama.

AJMcCarron.jpg

A good decision maker and intelligent player that could eventually replace Jake Locker. Some may see this as a reach, but I think Tennessee can get good value for him here. I don't think he would be available in the 3rd round. I had another writeup started and switched over to McCarron thinking some other players will still be left later on.

Originally posted by bojimnole:
Let's wait a couple more hours. If he gets skipped by too many people we'll deal with it then.
Does FSU3456 even live in the continental US? He signed up for this at around 9pm, and made his first pick at 3:30am.

Originally posted by fmol4:
With the 42nd overall pick, the Tennessee Titans select QB A.J. McCarron, Alabama.

ec

A good decision maker and intelligent player that could eventually replace Jake Locker. Some may see this as a reach, but I think Tennessee can get good value for him here. I don't think he would be available in the 3rd round. I had another writeup started and switched over to McCarron thinking some other players will still be left later on.
Your other write up didn't happen to be for a RB? The Titans are cupboard bare at RB....

ec

Your other write up didn't happen to be for a RB? The Titans are cupboard bare at RB....
I'm not telling.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ec

As Mel Kiper has always said, RB is the easiest position to fill in the draft. ...And a team even in as a desperate need of one like the Titans can afford to be patient since the position is deep, and there is no consensus about the order of the top 5 (much less who's #1).

Originally posted by bojimnole:
Does FSU3456 even live in the continental US? He signed up for this at around 9pm, and made his first pick at 3:30am.
I also noticed that he hasn't posted since he made his pick. Maybe he's swamped at work and forgot.

If anyone has his e-mail, please let him know.

ec

As Mel Kiper has always said, RB is the easiest position to fill in the draft. ...And a team even in as a desperate need of one like the Titans can afford to be patient since the position is deep, and there is no consensus about the order of the top 5 (much less who's #1).
I like the way you think or at least paraphrase what Mel thinks...
happy.r191677.gif
I think QB is a premium in the league and their availability is much more limited than RB. I didn't see the value in Round 1, but I can make a case in Round 2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT