ADVERTISEMENT

Recap/Quotes from Mike Norvell's coaches show (11/15): 8:00 p.m. (QB Travis, DB's coach Woodson)

Austin R. Cox

Warchant Staff Writer
Apr 29, 2019
Tallahassee, Fl.
And we're live with Deckerhoff and HC Mike Norvell.

On the Miami win: Wonderful game. The heart the character. We talk so much about finishing. Finished that game in dramatic fashion. Guys never flinched throughout the contest. Continued to believe. It was a great day.

On coaching in a rivalry: Incredible atmosphere. Everybody at the game, our fans, thank you so much. Big recruiting weekend. What a home field advantage that we had. Players emotions, played as a disciplined team. Wonderful memory for our guys the rest of their lives.

On the 4th quarter against Miami: Felt very confident kicking the field goal. Defense went out and did their job. 4th and 14. Never want to find yourself in that situation, game on the line. Special drive. Critical steps by Jordan, playmaking ability, Guys around them stepped up as well.

On the 2 point conversion: Incredible execution by our guys starting up front, The play was executed and played out just like we hoped.

On the Miami win: We talked the physicality that was going to be necessary, the passion, the pursuit. I thought our guys played so very hard. Coach Dugans and Coach Haggins, they talked about the rivalry throughout the course of the week. Coach Dugans mentioned that Coach Bowden would always say about this game: "The team that can run the ball and the team that can stop the run is going to win this game." That's something we challenged our guys with. It sure felt good at the end of the game Miami only had 43 yards rushing and we had a heck of a lot more than that. (Huge applause).

On Miami game: Said this is a special matchup, As a 'Nole, you will always remember this game. You could feel it throughout the week. Guys wanted to represent FSU the right way in the game.

On the end of the Miami game: Emotional swings take its toll and have an effect on the ball game. That's something we've been pushing to our guys, sometimes it benefits you, sometimes maybe we've lost out on focus in critical moments. Let's learn that lesson. This game, I thought our guys did a great job. Never hung their head, Finished the way we needed to.

On ACC QB's: Its a special group. Diversity in offenses and scheme that you're presented, its a challenge. You had to bring your A game. Defensive backfield last week embraced that. Offense was playing with a lot of momentum.

On DB Omarion Cooper: Better and better as year has gone on. Confidence is growing. Woodson has done a great job with him.

On DE Jermaine Johnson: A dominant performance. One of the most dominant performances by a defensive lineman in the history of this rivalry. So proud of Jermaine and the leader that he is.

On DB coach Marcus Woodson: Woodson has led a very young group this year. Had learning experiences and things to build upon, but they've continued to work on fundamentals and communication. See them making expulsive plays and limiting explosives by opposing offenses. Really proud of how they're growing.

On SR day: It was huge. Memory that will last a lifetime, Special game. The role that they've had in laying the foundation of where we're going. Special. Everybody makes an impact, walk-on and reserve seniors represent things the way they're supposed to be represented. Help prepare team.

On recruiting and fans: Miami game a huge impact on recruiting. Those games are critically important. Saturday was a big day. I want to say thank to all who were in attendance. Fans too. All the season ticket holders this year...We definitely left out mark this weekend (in recruiting). Exciting.

On RB/WR Ja'khi Douglas. Made an incredible impact in special teams, one of their best special teams players. Continuing to earn a role, continuing to grow. When the moment called for it, it was ready. Speed and ball skills he has, will continue to be a weapon.

On DB Omarion Cooper: That young man has a great future in front of him. Confidence that you saw develop throughout the game was something that we were really excited about. Need it to continue against BC.

On Boston College QB: Done a tremendous job. They're undefeated with him this year. Good run game. Team represents a lot of challenges.

On BC: Very experienced football team. You can see the continuity. Coming off a big win against Ga Tech. Playing a great brand of football.

On Woodson: Great man. Does such a tremendous job of building those relationships. Taking the youth and you see them getting better week in and week out.

On QB Jordan Travis: What a game he played, Best game he's played as a Seminole. Will go down as one of the all time great performances.

That is all from Norvell. Next up are guests QB Jordan Travis and DB coach Marcus Woodson. Stay tuned.

-------------------------------------------------------------

QB Jordan Travis is up next.

On preparing for a rival: Honestly I tried to treat every week the same. If I treat a week different there's a problem. Just wanted to win for my team. Guys worked really hard this week in practice.

On injury against Miami, heading to locker room: They got my arm pretty good. They hit me pretty good. But at the end of the day, pain is temporary. I do whatever I can do to get on the field with my boys and go out there and get a win.

On the GW final drive: Offensive line played great. Big shout out to them. Can't do anything without them up front. Love Ja'Khi [Douglas], always has a positive mindset. Stepped up when his name was called. Glad he's on my team.

Do they work on 4th and long like 4th and 14 in practice?: Yes we do. Shout out to Coach Norvell. He always has us ready to go. We're used to these situations.

On scoring the QB sneak: It was tough, for sure. Those were some big boys up front.

On his first outing against BC in 2019: Dream come true. I had been an FSU fan for a long time, coming to games and watching my brother. Everyday I wake up as Seminole I am so blessed. I am so thankful and happy to go up there. Ready to work hard and get a win.

Jordan said former FSU 2B Devon Travis is now coaching with the Braves. That's all from Travis.

------------------------------------------

Next up is DBs coach Marcus Woodson.

On taking on Van Dyke and Miami passing game: Its Miami vs FSU, so kids didn't need a lot of motivation, They started the week with great preparation. You saw leaders leading and guys following them. Then they went out and executed. Always a proud moment for a coach to see your guys perform on game day.

On Omarion Cooper; Learned how to be a pro at a young age. Said every single Sunday he stays out to still practice in the Sunday session to get extra work.

On Jammie Robinson: He was a great addition to the room. A guy that is well prepared for the moment. Had two years of SEC experience coming in. Knows what it takes to perform at a high level. Film junkie and a passionate football player.

On Akeem Dent: Has grown a lot and come a long way and stepped it up the past few weeks. Doing a better job of watching film and understanding the opponent. Made some great tackles vs Miami. He worked on that throughout the week.

Anddd That is all from tonight everyone! Thanks for reading and check back in the afternoon for practice updates.

-------------------------------------

After Trench Talk at 6, head to this thread at 7 p.m. for quotes from Mike Norvell talking Florida State's huge rivalry win over Miami plus a look ahead to Boston College on Saturday on his coaches show.

Inside Seminole Football will begin tonight from 7-8 airing on ABC in Tallahassee. You can find the live stream to ABC here to watch the show (this link may only work if you live near the Tallahassee area). The show is an hour and airs each Monday.

Each week, I'll have live quotes in this thread and I'll make sure to include anything interesting that was said. In addition to Norvell, they also bring on an assistant coach and a player each episode. See you all at 7:00.

ICYMI: Recap/Quotes from Week 11 show (11/8), Recap/Quotes from Week 10 show (11/2), Recap/Quotes from Week 9 show (10/25), Recap/Quotes from Week 8 show (10/18), Recap/Quotes from Week 7 show (10/11), Recap/Quotes from week 6 show (10/4), Recap/Quotes from week 5 show (9/27), Recap/Quotes from week 3 show (9/13), Recap/Quotes from Week 2 show (9/6), Recap/Quotes from week 1 show (8/30), Recap/Quotes from preseason show (8/23).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News