ADVERTISEMENT

Sister moving to Tallahassee

Seminole89

Walk-on
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2006
Hey everyone,

my sister is moving to Tallahassee in a few months. She will be moving with my mom and 12 year old cousin.

Any suggestions on areas to move to? The biggest factors right now are school system for my cousin and price. Any ideas or suggestions would he helpful.

Hey everyone,

my sister is moving to Tallahassee in a few months. She will be moving with my mom and 12 year old cousin.

Any suggestions on areas to move to? The biggest factors right now are school system for my cousin and price. Any ideas or suggestions would he helpful.
When is she moving and what price range? Renting or buying?

Need more info regarding budget.

NE of I-10 generally has better schools and low crime.

Reactions: Dasfsu
Probably moving in the next 3 months. They are looking to buy, but will rent if needed to start. $2500 a month is what they want to pay for either option.

NE side of town. North of I-10 generally has the best schools and can definitely fit within that budget. There are a lot of options in that price range.

Reactions: eltonblues
Where is her work? Lots of people who only went to school in Tallahassee think the entire city is a few blocks around campus and nothing else. If she works downtown she may not like the commute from the NE.

$2500 is a pretty good budget, on a mortgage payment that’s like $250k right? That’s not going to get you into the best neighborhoods but it’s not bad.
Again, depending on what she is looking for, Wakulla county schools are outstanding and there is way less crime and crowding than Leon county.

Mgt payment of 2,500 (principal and interest) 30 yr loan would support about +$750K loan.

My guess is PITI it would support $600K loan.

Based on what someone told me their mortgage will be ($1,000 payment for $300K).

Where is her work? Lots of people who only went to school in Tallahassee think the entire city is a few blocks around campus and nothing else. If she works downtown she may not like the commute from the NE.

$2500 is a pretty good budget, on a mortgage payment that’s like $250k right? That’s not going to get you into the best neighborhoods but it’s not bad.
Again, depending on what she is looking for, Wakulla county schools are outstanding and there is way less crime and crowding than Leon county.
She’s going to be working at the university. I will let her know about wakulla. Thanks for the suggestion.

Coming from south it’s pretty easy to get to campus. Much more rural than Leon though. It really depends on what she likes. Lots of young families are moving into Wakulla from all over the country. It’s kind of crazy what’s happening down here. I’m not so sure it’s a good thing.

I grew up in Tally, went to college there (obviously) and worked there for 8 eight years before moving away about 20 years ago. Like several posters have said, you want to be in the Northeast section of Tallahassee, which would be north of East Tennessee Street and east of North Monroe/27. The Killearn area and moving north of there is always a safe play, although it won't be fun for her driving to FSU for work. That said, I would also look out east on SR 90/Buck Lake Road area, which also has good schools (Buck Lake Elementary/Deer Lake Middle/Lincoln High School).

Whatever your sister does, I would stay out of the Northwest section of Tallahassee. I grew up there and visited the area when I was in Tally a few weeks ago. I made me heartsick how much that part of town has deteriorated.

I grew up in Tally, went to college there (obviously) and worked there for 8 eight years before moving away about 20 years ago. Like several posters have said, you want to be in the Northeast section of Tallahassee, which would be north of East Tennessee Street and east of North Monroe/27. The Killearn area and moving north of there is always a safe play, although it won't be fun for her driving to FSU for work. That said, I would also look out east on SR 90/Buck Lake Road area, which also has good schools (Buck Lake Elementary/Deer Lake Middle/Lincoln High School).

Whatever your sister does, I would stay out of the Northwest section of Tallahassee. I grew up there and visited the area when I was in Tally a few weeks ago. I made me heartsick how much that part of town has deteriorated.
I’ve lived in Tally since 1962 and can corroborate this. It’s very sad to see what’s happening to the Northwest corridor of town. Don’t look any further west than Meridian Road.

Reactions: SanfordNole
Hey everyone,

i recently purchased a home in Tallahassee for my son to rent. We used Christi Orros at Coldwell Banker. Extremely knowledgeable, trusting and efficient.
text me if you would like her number 561 762 2112

Mgt payment of 2,500 (principal and interest) 30 yr loan would support about +$750K loan.

My guess is PITI it would support $600K loan.

Based on what someone told me their mortgage will be ($1,000 payment for $300K).

dude your math is way off. You have to include taxes and insurance and even then, you are still extremely low. $1k payment for a $300k loan? That’s impossible

Naw, $2,500 monthly mortgage would be more around $500k loan. My mortgage is $1,900 a month for a $335k home

This reminds me of my first house - 10 miles east off Miccosukee Road, $35k for a partially built a-frame, no heat or a/c, 3.5 beautiful acres, big garden and a chicken coop. Now I'm an oldster living in the Bradfordville area in a big house in a top neighborhood and it's not nearly the fun.

Reactions: SanfordNole
Buck Lake area and North of I10 are best places. There are brand new high end apartments in both. I've lived in the Buck Lake area for over 20 years, sent 2 kids through those schools and loved it. It's a little closer to downtown then North side and less congested.

I’ve lived in Tally since 1962 and can corroborate this. It’s very sad to see what’s happening to the Northwest corridor of town. Don’t look any further west than Meridian Road.
Yes I live in the north west in a newer area and it has completely fallen off since we bought our house. Was nice with younger families for a few years that has slowly been replaced with the not so nice :( .

Reactions: squiffynole
Hey everyone,

We made the move three years ago and chose the north east side of Tallahassee. We built a home which took around two years with design and homebuilding but rented in the summer Brooke and bull run neighborhood. Three years ago we were floored by the lack of inventory for 4 bedroom+ homes on the Northeast side. We decided we did not want to send our kids to private school and so we chose this area because of how great the school districts are. If she is open to going to a private school it opens up more areas for her where they may not have the best public schools. Again I would have her check neighborhoods like Summer Brook, Bull run, Killarn or Killarn Estates.

Hey everyone,

Look East and north. When they become interested in one or 2 neighborhoods go to the local police station and request a crime analysis stat sheet on crimes in those areas.

Lol. My mortgage payment is near 2500. A bit higher. I live in Golden Eagle. Not a lot of inventory but great neighborhood. 2500 is more than enough in Tally. Deerlake and Chiles. 2 of the best schools in town

We live in HeartWood Hills, a very nice development, each home has at least 2 acres. Easy access to Applachee. Parkway or Tennessee. Seven miles from Cosco.

Hey everyone,

Northeast of 10 is where you want to be Tallahassee has changed alot in the last decade many parts of town you want to avoid unfortunately

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT