ADVERTISEMENT

So in a shocker to no one except the DC fanboys who will love it anyways, Justice League is terrible

Rotten Tomatoes finally released its score on Justice League which sits at 40% favourable. And having read some of what they deem “favourable”, a nonbiased source would probably have it closer to 20%.

In comparison to the Justice League hyperinflated 40%, Iron Man 2 is at 73%, Iron Man 3 is at 79%,
Thor 1 is at 77%, Thor 2 is 66%, Avengers 2 is 75%, the two Hulk movies are at 61% and 68%, the original Spider-Man trilogy are at 89%, 94% and 63% and the followup duology are at 73% and 52% while the most recent one is at 92%. Meaning the majority of critics liked all of the Marvel movies you mentioned even the second Garfield Spider-Man movie, while that is not true of the DCCU movies with BVS at 27%, Suicide Squad at 26% and Justice League at 40% (Man of Steel is at 55% which I consider surprising although I admit I like it better than the other DCCU movies excluding the actually decent WW)

But the WORST rated MCU movie is the second Thor (as the First Hulk wasn’t in MCU) is rated at 66%. Which is not surprising, I liked Thor 2 but there are enough bad moments (basically everything with the now dropped Natalie Portman) I could see where every third person might find the bad parts overriding the good parts. Conversely, I can’t believe a fourth of critics could even tolerate Suicide Squad and BVS, those were complete garbage almost to the point they are such garbage it becomes enjoyable to make fun of it (I will admit, while BVS is terrible, the dubbed TLDR version by HISHE was hilarious so I’ll post it below).

PS If you want to really bag on Marvel (although not the MCU) you should mention GhostRider. Those are truly DCCU terrible and their RTS scores reflect it.
And that's why I don't listen to Rottentomatoes. Hell, last year's Ghostbusters, the worst movie ever, has a 74% rating on RT. So.....

I am seeing it tonight and will make my own judgement, I think people expect too much from superhero movies, they are not going to be masterpieces ala Citizen Kane or Taxi Driver.

The interesting thing I do notice is the critics who I respect the most actually like this Justice League movie. Peter Travers, Owen Gleiberman, Ethan Sacks all liked it.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/justice-league/critic-reviews

You also have to factor in that some critics are Marvel folks who look for reasons to hate anything that DC does. It kills them that the Batman series with Bale is the best comic trilogy ever done. They will give this movie a D for a grade but I will be shocked if this movie is as bad as Daredevil The Hulk (Eric Bana edition) or Green Lantern which are truly D grade movies.

They will give this movie a D for a grade but I will be shocked if this movie is as bad as Daredevil, The Hulk (Eric Bana edition) or Green Lantern which are truly D grade movies.

Totally agree.....But Daredevil and JL have something in common - Ben Affleck - so there's a chance and even with Bana the CGI was outstanding in the Hulk flick. Green Lantern....Ryan Reynolds...enough said.

My hope is that Gal Gaddot cancels out Affleck. Saw a teaser last night of a brief interview with the cast. They started talking about how much they like each other and how much fun they had making it, which usually foreshadows a very bad movie.

Gal-Gadot-Wonder-Woman-Poster-02.jpg

Last edited:
I am seeing it tonight and will make my own judgement, I think people expect too much from superhero movies, they are not going to be masterpieces ala Citizen Kane or Taxi Driver.

The interesting thing I do notice is the critics who I respect the most actually like this Justice League movie. Peter Travers, Owen Gleiberman, Ethan Sacks all liked it.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/justice-league/critic-reviews

You also have to factor in that some critics are Marvel folks who look for reasons to hate anything that DC does. It kills them that the Batman series with Bale is the best comic trilogy ever done. They will give this movie a D for a grade but I will be shocked if this movie is as bad as Daredevil The Hulk (Eric Bana edition) or Green Lantern which are truly D grade movies.

No it’s because the DC movies are terrible and if you like them it’s because you already love the characters not because it’s wise acting choices or decent plots. The first two Nolan Batman movies were perfectly fine as were the first two nonNolan Batman movies, but the other three Batman movies are terrible movies with terrible plots. If you like Dark Knight arises, Batman and Robin and Batman Forever it’s because you love all things Batman not because they are anything remotely resembling decent movies.

And hey, I like even love some terrible movies because of nostalgia or general love for the base material, the ones that come to mind are the Transformers Animated Movie, Starship Troopers and Superman 2. But none of those are objectively good movies, I just subjectively like them as do a number of people. So own your love of %*%* like Dark Knight Rises which is just as risable as Spider-Man 3 maybe even more so.

And that's why I don't listen to Rottentomatoes. Hell, last year's Ghostbusters, the worst movie ever, has a 74% rating on RT. So.....

Femme Ghostbusters is hardly the worst movie ever, it’s probably the most inappropriately bashed movie in history just because of the dork anti-woman pushback following gamergate. Was it a great movie? Absolutely not. And the original is one of the best. But is it worse than Ghostbusters 2? No.

Femme Ghostbusters has an overreliance on CGI, a too simplistic plot, jokes being repeated despite failing to land such as the stupid soup dumpling jokes and they forgot to include a straight woman to ground the other wacky performances (that is on Kristen Wiig imo as she was clearly setup to be the grounded one but got lost as yet another wacky character chasing her hornball love for Chris Hemsworth) so that everything is constantly crazy and there’s no time for jokes to land and your mind to recover. But it’s not as broken of a movie as Ghostbusters 2, nor anywhere as just plain stupid as the plot of Batman versus Superman (Guy makes portal for the dead and women band together to stop it is simplistic, but Guy gets two superheroes to fight because of undisclosed reasons that are not shown on screen whereupon they do fight but stop because their moms have the same name and then Guy creates supervillain out of his blood and the corpse of a dead alien because I suppose he knew his plot wasn’t going to work but the girlfriend of one of the superheroes knows not only that the new CGI troll is susceptible to the same weapon as her boyfriend and knows not only where to get it but how to find the battling supers midbattle while fortunately a superheroine shown only once before shows up just in time to fight the CGI troll she didn’t know was going to exist whereupon the three combine forces to kill the CGI troll with the staff found by the girlfriend and brought to where they are fighting after the US nukes one of the superheroes and the CGI troll in space......(pant, pant) whereupon the CGI troll is killed with the spear by one of the superheroes who dies but not really as five minutes later it’s shown he’s still alive thus defeating any tension or point to the movie....is stupid).

Reactions: NebNoles
Femme Ghostbusters is hardly the worst movie ever, it’s probably the most inappropriately bashed movie in history just because of the dork anti-woman pushback following gamergate. Was it a great movie? Absolutely not. And the original is one of the best. But is it worse than Ghostbusters 2? No.

Femme Ghostbusters has an overreliance on CGI, a too simplistic plot, jokes being repeated despite failing to land such as the stupid soup dumpling jokes and they forgot to include a straight woman to ground the other wacky performances (that is on Kristen Wiig imo as she was clearly setup to be the grounded one but got lost as yet another wacky character chasing her hornball love for Chris Hemsworth) so that everything is constantly crazy and there’s no time for jokes to land and your mind to recover. But it’s not as broken of a movie as Ghostbusters 2, nor anywhere as just plain stupid as the plot of Batman versus Superman (Guy makes portal for the dead and women band together to stop it is simplistic, but Guy gets two superheroes to fight because of undisclosed reasons that are not shown on screen whereupon they do fight but stop because their moms have the same name and then Guy creates supervillain out of his blood and the corpse of a dead alien because I suppose he knew his plot wasn’t going to work but the girlfriend of one of the superheroes knows not only that the new CGI troll is susceptible to the same weapon as her boyfriend and knows not only where to get it but how to find the battling supers midbattle while fortunately a superheroine shown only once before shows up just in time to fight the CGI troll she didn’t know was going to exist whereupon the three combine forces to kill the CGI troll with the staff found by the girlfriend and brought to where they are fighting after the US nukes one of the superheroes and the CGI troll in space......(pant, pant) whereupon the CGI troll is killed with the spear by one of the superheroes who dies but not really as five minutes later it’s shown he’s still alive thus defeating any tension or point to the movie....is stupid).
Guess you are stuck with your mind made up and I'm stuck with mine. Go Noles!

I am a DC fan. I have it 3.5 out of 5. It's rushed due to time constraints.

Superman is absolutely awesome ....finally

I saw the trailer for this before Thor...I can't remember a trailer making a big event movie look less enticing. I did go see BvS, won't be seeing this one for sure.

DC movies just don't do it for me...I think the second Nolan Batman is legitimately a very good movie, and Wonder Woman is a good movie. Even the old Superman movies don't do anything for me. My favorite DC movie ever is almost certainly Lego Batman.

I'm a much bigger fan of Marvel movies, but even those are getting kind of stale to me. I usually enjoy them in the moment, but they're getting a little too plot-heavy and "big" for me, and kind of repetitive. I did like Thor Ragnarok, but I'm weird...the Thor series is probably my favorite of all the characters so far.

Sorry but Superman 2 is a great movie

No it’s a nonsensical movie that violates its own rules and has giant plot holes everywhere primarily because it’s a “Frankenmovie” where the original directors and writers were tossed midfilming. That’s also why there was suddenly convenient plot devices like magical crystals that just show up to return his power, why he can ripoff a multidimensional gate off his chest with no prior description and explanation and it NOT being one of his powers, etc... There is a ton of complete garbage plotlines that go nowhere due to reshoots and it’s clear the second group who created the film didn’t understand or maybe even read the source material.

Having said that, I did mention I like it. But that’s due to nostalgia and because the acting performances are iconic (and decent, “good” would be taking it too far). But I can like something and acknowledge it’s trash at the same time. Case in point, this year’s version of the Seminoles football team.

The Resurrection scene where a confused Supes takes care of WW, Aquaman, and Cyborg with one hand while tracking flash with his eyes is great!!!! Once their threat is handled, the Batman round 2 is exactly how it should go with great dialogue. "Tell me, do you bleed?"

I didn't think it was bad. Asking me to judge CGI is like asking me to judge wine - I could not tell you good from bad.

Character development for the new heroes was rushed, and I could've done without Lois and Martha but whatevs.

The characters we know were good in my opinion.

The bad guy was not impressive but that was because finding and taking the Motherboxes should have been its own movie.
It should've been a movie with:

1. Aquaman and the Atlanteans protecting and losing the theirs,
2. Wonder Woman and the Amazons protecting and losing theirs
3. Batman, incapable of holding his own against Steppenwolf recruiting Flash and Cyborg but ultimately losing theirs.

They could've shown how powerful Steppenwolf was by having him fight the three battles at the same time throughout the movie, bouncing from one battle to the other each time his parademons got close to a box.

THAT movie should've ended in three losses and the heroes forming the JL.

I don't know why they didn't ask my opinion though... lol

Well not enough people thought they should see it as it had the lowest opening weekend box office of any of the DC super hero movies.

Last edited:
That is stunning

Not really, you have five stinkers in a row (SS, BvS, Man of Steel, Green Lantern and Dark Knight Rises) and a terrible looking trailer where the CGI looks worse than an XBone game and it doesn’t matter that Wonder Woman was decent.

Half in the Bag aka the nerd critics I trust the most did not especially like it although one said it was so bad in a terrible 70s Saturday morning cartoon way that it turned back and became enjoyable to watch ironically. They did all give it the same damning praise that most critics did...”it wasn’t good but at least it wasn’t Batman v Superman”.

I've got nothing to add, other than to say that I was in 5th grade when they had Mr. Mom play Batman and it was boring as F (except the Joker) and I avoided all other superhero movies until X-men and X2 came out. Still refuse to watch any of the Batman movies (except Adam West era).

My problems with the DC universe go back about 30 years and this thread isn't convincing me I've missed anything.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I've got nothing to add, other than to say that I was in 5th grade when they had Mr. Mom play Batman and it was boring as F (except the Joker) and I avoided all other superhero movies until X-men and X2 came out. Still refuse to watch any of the Batman movies (except Adam West era).

My problems with the DC universe go back about 30 years and this thread isn't convincing me I've missed anything.

If you like the Adam West era Batman you should check out these animated movies you might have missed with most of the actors voicing their characters (including the deceased AW) and done in the same style as the tv series.

images

Batman-vs-Two-Face-3D.jpeg

Reactions: 321Nole
Not really, you have five stinkers in a row (SS, BvS, Man of Steel, Green Lantern and Dark Knight Rises) and a terrible looking trailer where the CGI looks worse than an XBone game and it doesn’t matter that Wonder Woman was decent.

Wait, it did better than:
Iron Man - Guardians of the Galaxy - Doctor Strange - Thor - Captain America: The First Avenger - Ant-Man - The Incredible Hulk

And Batman v Superman and Dark Knight Rises did over $160 million each which is nothing the sneeze at.

Wait, it did better than:
Iron Man - Guardians of the Galaxy - Doctor Strange - Thor - Captain America: The First Avenger - Ant-Man - The Incredible Hulk

And Batman v Superman and Dark Knight Rises did over $160 million each which is nothing the sneeze at.

Money doesn’t equate quality. There’s lots of terrible movies that made a ton of money. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon, and Age of Extinction all made more money straight up not even counting inflation than Justice League. And those are terrible movies as well.

Forgive me, but I’m not well versed WRT what companies have which characters. Where does Deadpool “reside”? I don’t watch many movies, but I did watch Deadpool and I loved it. Is he DC or Marvel (or something else entire)?

I’ve seen several of the Iron Man and Captain America movies and they were entertaining.

Forgive me, but I’m not well versed WRT what companies have which characters. Where does Deadpool “reside”? I don’t watch many movies, but I did watch Deadpool and I loved it. Is he DC or Marvel (or something else entire)?

I’ve seen several of the Iron Man and Captain America movies and they were entertaining.
Deadpool is on the Marvel side.

Reactions: EconSean
IMO, DC has achieved GREAT casting; whether it be Margo Robbie, Benflick, Josh M., Ezra, Gal, Irons, whoever...I just love the characters. They are all just trapped in TERRIBLE script writing and often bad direction. So sad.

As for JL, I enjoyed watching the people...hated the "story."

DC is trapped with a white, all powerful, boyscout... Which Whether we discuss it or not.... Is hard to sell in the present age .

The all American, all white, all Kansas, All powerful is problematic for DC.

I love Supes. I get why you don't.

If we transplant him to Marvel, you don't have a story with anyone other than Thanos who is a Darkseid knockoff.

Marvel simply owns comic land. The current Thor was Justice League light and dropping Punisher in Friday was brilliant.

It is what it is. Marvel and Disney are king of this medium.

http://comicsalliance.com/knockoff-characters-comics/

Well, I finally saw it last night and boy was it bad. I'm a DC fan boy but WB just doesn't know how to make these movies. From the first scene, to the villain, to the CGI.....all horrible. My 10 year old daughter came up with better ideas that would have made this movie good. If they don't stop using Zack Snyder, they will continue to barely make even with these movies that should net them hundreds of $millions.

I also saw it yesterday and it wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews (and Locker Roomers) made it out to be. I'd rank it second behind MOS in the DCU. I found the darkness of MOS appealing and I haven't seen WW (which is the highest rated movie in the DCU).

Reactions: fsubey2
I watched it last night too. I will give it a C at best. I enjoyed the scenes with Flash. Each time when the movie would start moving forward they would hit the pause button for long drawn out melodrama scenes in an attempt to force you to like these characters. I simply can not stand Ben Affleck in this role as the bat. I thought he was great in gone girl but in this movie he is just coming across pouty more so than angry/disturbed. I would cringe every time Lois Lane would have a scene. There was a lot of other things I did not care for in this movie but most of it has been covered already.

I watched it last night too. I will give it a C at best. I enjoyed the scenes with Flash. Each time when the movie would start moving forward they would hit the pause button for long drawn out melodrama scenes in an attempt to force you to like these characters. I simply can not stand Ben Affleck in this role as the bat. I thought he was great in gone girl but in this movie he is just coming across pouty more so than angry/disturbed. I would cringe every time Lois Lane would have a scene. There was a lot of other things I did not care for in this movie but most of it has been covered already.

The good news is that this is the last time you will see the Batfleck I believe.

Honestly, if they were smart (and they’re not), they should take a beat from the comics and just scrap the Nolanverse. Have a quick scene where the Nolanverse gets even darker where everything is even more terrible and then have Wonder Woman take a portal into “our universe”, a lighter more Marvelesque universe with an all new cast other than WW. Then it would just rake in the cash.

Someone give me a summary so I int have to rent it? I assume from above Supes ain’t dead

Someone give me a summary so I int have to rent it? I assume from above Supes ain’t dead

This is why we went to see this movie. The ending of the BMvSM got to my son and that was the first time I noticed a movie making him sniffle and wipe his eyes, which was a cool moment to see as a father even though it was a really bad movie. So once I heard the review up top I told the wife we have to see this movie. I think DC screwed up the resurrection too. That should have been a triumphant comeback that would make a kid cheer and bring a smile to their face.....opportunity missed.

I liked the Thor trailers unlike the Justice League versions, but I LOVED the new Thor movie. It was a better sequel to Guardians of the Galaxy than Volume 2 was. Just “big”, funny and action packed. GOTGV2 was fine, even decent as I would rather watch that again than Wonder Woman, but Thor Ragnorok and the original GOTG were fantastic.
Thor was my favorite "fun" movie of the year.

No it’s a nonsensical movie that violates its own rules and has giant plot holes everywhere primarily because it’s a “Frankenmovie” where the original directors and writers were tossed midfilming. That’s also why there was suddenly convenient plot devices like magical crystals that just show up to return his power, why he can ripoff a multidimensional gate off his chest with no prior description and explanation and it NOT being one of his powers, etc... There is a ton of complete garbage plotlines that go nowhere due to reshoots and it’s clear the second group who created the film didn’t understand or maybe even read the source material.

Having said that, I did mention I like it. But that’s due to nostalgia and because the acting performances are iconic (and decent, “good” would be taking it too far). But I can like something and acknowledge it’s trash at the same time. Case in point, this year’s version of the Seminoles football team.
Donner Cut...even with screen test footage...is 10x the movie the Richard Lester version turned out to be...it even fixes the end of Superman the Movie....we could have our own thread on this one. :)

Oh, as for the movie...I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars. I really enjoyed the characters, just hated the plot (or whatever that was). DC was in too big of a hurry...if you're already behind Marvel, why try to catch up? Just take your time and do it right. Again, loved the cast, they were just stuck in a terrible plot. WTFart was up with Supes "resurrection"? Geebus!

Finally caught Justice League.
I also didn’t think it was as horrible as some on here made it out to be.
Sure, I agree that the story was clunky and had weird holes(Steppenwolf hits on Amazon queen then nothing?), villain undeveloped and the CGI and cinematography was mostly lacking(minus a cool superman turning his head on flash scene), and Affleck gave perhaps the worst performance of his career and looked like a High school kid on halloween in an ugly batman suit his mom made full of bubble wrap.
That being said the rest of the actors were great, particularly Gadot, Cavill and Fisher. The supporting cast from the Amazons to Irons to the Atlantis woman were also spot on.
It was still a fun movie and I enjoyed it more than I expected to. Superman’s scenes were a high point for me. Its no Ragnarock but i think the cast has more chemistry than many other ensembles. Just replace Batman please!

Finally caught Justice League.
I also didn’t think it was as horrible as some on here made it out to be.
Sure, I agree that the story was clunky and had weird holes(Steppenwolf hits on Amazon queen then nothing?), villain undeveloped and the CGI and cinematography was mostly lacking(minus a cool superman turning his head on flash scene), and Affleck gave perhaps the worst performance of his career and looked like a High school kid on halloween in an ugly batman suit his mom made full of bubble wrap.
That being said the rest of the actors were great, particularly Gadot, Cavill and Fisher. The supporting cast from the Amazons to Irons to the Atlantis woman were also spot on.
It was still a fun movie and I enjoyed it more than I expected to. Superman’s scenes were a high point for me. Its no Ragnarock but i think the cast has more chemistry than many other ensembles. Just replace Batman please!
Oh, as for the movie...I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars. I really enjoyed the characters, just hated the plot (or whatever that was). DC was in too big of a hurry...if you're already behind Marvel, why try to catch up? Just take your time and do it right. Again, loved the cast, they were just stuck in a terrible plot. WTFart was up with Supes "resurrection"? Geebus!

Both of you are significantly more tolerant of (waste) than I am. I thought Justice League was even worse than Batman v Supes and I HATED that one. Terrible CGI to the point even the CW shows look better, mindnumbingly boring villain with stock “I just want to destroy the world” backstory, Barely ties into the first movie (Supes and Batman were friends now, NOT people who only stopped trying to kill each other for about five minutes before one died, also where did the Flash time traveler and Batman nightmares go?), and nonesensical plot. I’d rate a bunch of cosplayers running around shouting “Pew! Pew!” higher than this dreck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT