ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer will get their chance at revenge vs Notre Dame

Headed to penalty kicks.

Regardless of what happens with PKs, Notre Dame is flat out better than us this year, and I hope we don't have to face them in the NCAA Tournament.

I actually feel a little bad for ND since as you say they actually outplayed us for the most part... Shootouts suck, but they can't just keep playing all night.

Reactions: nole96
I hope Coach benches Iwai Sunday. Worst performance I can recall from a starter.

Headed to penalty kicks.

Regardless of what happens with PKs, Notre Dame is flat out better than us this year, and I hope we don't have to face them in the NCAA Tournament.
Totally disagree. ND is a really good team, with good size and speed. They are appropriately rated as a top 5 team. They needed a great individual performance (Hat Trick) to stay on the field with FSU. Rare that a player makes 3 elite shots in a row from outside to beat one of the best goaltenders in the country. You just can't depend on that. Time of possession slightly favored FSU. Outside of the 3 goals, their shots rarely were dangerous. ND puts a ton of pressure on teams in the back court as a strategy. We didn't always handle it well, but we did about as well as any other team. FSU's looked like the more dangerous team to me, as they had multiple opportunities that they didn't capitalize on. FSU has a better goalie.

I do wish that FSU would have taken advantage of their speed on the outside more and put more crosses in. It was good that Bissell got more game time as she is the best passer on the team and got the ball to the feet multiple times of players in dangerous positions. Also felt it was positive that the last 20 minutes of OT we looked lively considering our small bench.

Both semi-finals were elite, tournament level, performances by the 4 teams. Penalty kicks to create a winner isn't a great way to end a game, but it does point out who is mentally tough. UNC and FSU both are. Should be a great final.

Outside of the 3 goals, their shots rarely were dangerous.
Are you joking? 28 shots and 12 on goal. Roque was all over the place. That's the most she had to do her entire career.

This was probably the biggest offensive onslaught we've taken in about five seasons. We should all feel lucky to be playing Sunday.

Reactions: daveynole
Totally disagree. ND is a really good team, with good size and speed. They are appropriately rated as a top 5 team. They needed a great individual performance (Hat Trick) to stay on the field with FSU. Rare that a player makes 3 elite shots in a row from outside to beat one of the best goaltenders in the country. You just can't depend on that. Time of possession slightly favored FSU. Outside of the 3 goals, their shots rarely were dangerous. ND puts a ton of pressure on teams in the back court as a strategy. We didn't always handle it well, but we did about as well as any other team. FSU's looked like the more dangerous team to me, as they had multiple opportunities that they didn't capitalize on. FSU has a better goalie.

I do wish that FSU would have taken advantage of their speed on the outside more and put more crosses in. It was good that Bissell got more game time as she is the best passer on the team and got the ball to the feet multiple times of players in dangerous positions. Also felt it was positive that the last 20 minutes of OT we looked lively considering our small bench.

Both semi-finals were elite, tournament level, performances by the 4 teams. Penalty kicks to create a winner isn't a great way to end a game, but it does point out who is mentally tough. UNC and FSU both are. Should be a great final.
That's pretty much how I saw the game also. FSU had some good chances to go up by 2 or 3 goals at the start of the 2nd half but we didn't finish. The player for ND made 4 elite shots (last one barely blocked), and there were a couple other decent chances for ND, but not many. Most of their shots on goal were easy saves.

FSU obviously misses the physical presence of both Jalen and Emily in both the mid field and back areas. The Noles can generate scores for sure, but at this point don’t have a defensive presence with that “oomph” factor.

Reactions: nole96
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT