ADVERTISEMENT

South Park - Sit, Stand, Kneel

Have seen some people kneeling with their and over their heart at the same time...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
This aired almost a year ago to the day.

Pretty accurate if you ask me, I laughed.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/15/south-park-colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-protest/

I'm trying to think if there is a controversy I actually care less about than whether someone stands for the national anthem at one of the thousands of sports games conducted daily and I honestly can't think of one. It's such a nonissue, I really don't care. It's FAR different than when far right groups like the Westboro Baptist Church show up and start purposefully insulting people at their funerals or otherwise are purposefully trying to cause pain. If anything this is the opposite, people trying to turn a leisure activity made "professional" into a political rally and the people engaging in the leisure activity for money saying "pass".

I'm trying to think if there is a controversy I actually care less about than whether someone stands for the national anthem at one of the thousands of sports games conducted daily and I honestly can't think of one. It's such a nonissue, I really don't care. It's FAR different than when far right groups like the Westboro Baptist Church show up and start purposefully insulting people at their funerals or otherwise are purposefully trying to cause pain. If anything this is the opposite, people trying to turn a leisure activity made "professional" into a political rally and the people engaging in the leisure activity for money saying "pass".

Totally agree with you on this one.

It hit an all time low when the lineman from Pittsburgh, who did 3 tours in Afghanistan, had to apologize for standing lol

Seriously people, why doss the man feel he has to apologize for standing?

Whether one sits, stands, kneels, a no show, or whatever....no one should have to apologize. And from my perspective, an individual who has served in the military dang sure shouldn't have too apologize.

all of this is so dumb.

Last edited:
What's funny about this whole thing is that the league penalizes people for really stupid things, like Lynch not doing press conferences, or somebody wearing a piece of equipyother than the brand they're supposed to. They do that because they're a brand and don't want to lose sponsors, but they'll alllow maybe millions of people to boycott the league over this issue (I am one of them).

Just doesn't seem very business savvy to me!

Reactions: gwgwi and osceola74
Ironically, this whole thing with the teams on the sidelines for the national anthem apparently started in 2009 when the DoD started paying teams for recruiting efforts. Apparently they make payments to colleges as well.
Which makes me wonder, is FSU getting paid for the various things they did last weekend (on field administering of the oath, etc)?

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Ironically, this whole thing with the teams on the sidelines for the national anthem apparently started in 2009 when the DoD started paying teams for recruiting efforts. Apparently they make payments to colleges as well.
Which makes me wonder, is FSU getting paid for the various things they did last weekend (on field administering of the oath, etc)?

Football teams were on the field in the NFL loooooong before 2009.

but they'll alllow maybe millions of people to boycott the league over this issue (I am one of them).

Just doesn't seem very business savvy to me!
Thing is, if they mandated standing for the anthem, they'd see a backlash from players as well as a boycott from a lot of fans who support protesting police brutality and racial inequality during the anthem.

In fact, many of my friends who support Kap are boycotting the league just like the folks who don't support Kap. Leaving the NFL the loser either way. Lulz @ Goodell on that one I guess.

Curious about this also, would love if Warchant would do a story on this (though I know they should not because they'll lose a handful of subscribers if it's revealed that FSU also engages in "for-pay patriotism".

IMO the NFL's path to a win-win, that both furthers America's promise equality for all and the NFL's goal of making all the money, is as follows...

• Sit down with the players/NFLPA and say "we're going to do November (or Sept, or Dec) as 'Equality Month'", just like October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.
  • As part of this, players will be able to present their messages in a variety of formats, from in stadium videos to digital content, and use it to fundraise for a few approved causes.
  • The NFL will also start a year-round initiative similar to its Play60 effort, which will work year round to raise awareness and assist players in channeling their money and energy most productively in our common goal of equality, including using the influence and connections of all 32 of the NFL's owners.
  • In return, there will be no more kneeling during the anthem, which seem to make some people very upset.

Everyone saves face, those who are upset about players kneeling during the anthem are appeased, players are made more effective in achieving equality for minorities, and the NFL looks like it cares (it doesn't but it just needs to save face).

Some folks who have no desire to actually see equality will continue to be upset, but honestly, society cannot be held back by the few lunatics who prefer 1920 to 2020. They'll also no longer be able to hide behind the anthem as the real source of their butthurt.

At the end of the day "equality" should not be a partisan or political issue, as Americans, we all ought to be pro-equality and to take the other side should be seen as un-American.

Thing is, if they mandated standing for the anthem, they'd see a backlash from players as well as a boycott from a lot of fans who support protesting police brutality and racial inequality during the anthem.

In fact, many of my friends who support Kap are boycotting the league just like the folks who don't support Kap. Leaving the NFL the loser either way. Lulz @ Goodell on that one I guess.

Curious about this also, would love if Warchant would do a story on this (though I know they should not because they'll lose a handful of subscribers if it's revealed that FSU also engages in "for-pay patriotism".

IMO the NFL's path to a win-win, that both furthers America's promise equality for all and the NFL's goal of making all the money, is as follows...

• Sit down with the players/NFLPA and say "we're going to do November (or Sept, or Dec) as 'Equality Month'", just like October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.
  • As part of this, players will be able to present their messages in a variety of formats, from in stadium videos to digital content, and use it to fundraise for a few approved causes.
  • The NFL will also start a year-round initiative similar to its Play60 effort, which will work year round to raise awareness and assist players in channeling their money and energy most productively in our common goal of equality, including using the influence and connections of all 32 of the NFL's owners.
  • In return, there will be no more kneeling during the anthem, which seem to make some people very upset.

Everyone saves face, those who are upset about players kneeling during the anthem are appeased, players are made more effective in achieving equality for minorities, and the NFL looks like it cares (it doesn't but it just needs to save face).

Some folks who have no desire to actually see equality will continue to be upset, but honestly, society cannot be held back by the few lunatics who prefer 1920 to 2020. They'll also no longer be able to hide behind the anthem as the real source of their butthurt.

At the end of the day "equality" should not be a partisan or political issue, as Americans, we all ought to be pro-equality and to take the other side should be seen as un-American.

They did mandate standing for the National Anthem in their operations book, make no mistake, they are strict as hell and enforce the crap out of their rules. In this case they didn't go after it early enough and now it's not going well for them. I think most would agree that a lot of people take offense to what they perceive as disrespecting America by kneeling or sitting during the National Anthem. So, that being said, since the NFL refuses to do anything about it, they should expect for people to not use their product (watching them on tv or going to the games).

It's crazy that people will say somebody doesn't have the "right" to disrespect America, sure, they absolutely do, and in this case the DOJ is not pressing charges or attempting to cut their hands off in public like other countries would do, but these actions will have consequences and in my opinion they should. When I say consequences I mean boycotting, etc. That's my right as a consumer! Some will say that means I'm a racist, and no, I'm not!

I laugh when people say this isn't offensive, if it weren't, then why are they doing it? They're doing it because they want to use this as a platform, to get peoples attention to attempt to instill change.

They did mandate standing for the National Anthem in their operations book, make no mistake, they are strict as hell and enforce the crap out of their rules. In this case they didn't go after it early enough and now it's not going well for them. I think most would agree that a lot of people take offense to what they perceive as disrespecting America by kneeling or sitting during the National Anthem. So, that being said, since the NFL refuses to do anything about it, they should expect for people to not use their product (watching them on tv or going to the games).

It's crazy that people will say somebody doesn't have the "right" to disrespect America, sure, they absolutely do, and in this case the DOJ is not pressing charges or attempting to cut their hands off in public like other countries would do, but these actions will have consequences and in my opinion they should. When I say consequences I mean boycotting, etc. That's my right as a consumer! Some will say that means I'm a racist, and no, I'm not!

I laugh when people say this isn't offensive, if it weren't, then why are they doing it? They're doing it because they want to use this as a platform, to get peoples attention to attempt to instill change.
You've got every right to boycott if you choose to, similarly the NFL has made it clear they support their players using this 2-3 min before the game to sit/stand/kneel for something they believe deeply in.

We all have choices to make in life when it comes to things we're passionate about.

As for 'offensive', the kneeling was decided upon by Kap in consultation with former Army Green Beret Nate Boyer (https://undertheradar.military.com/2016/09/kaepernick-meets-veteran-nate-boyer-kneels-anthem/).

Sure some people can choose to be offended, but I hope they understand offending people was never the point. Getting people's attention about ongoing injustices is.

Reactions: BelemNole

Finding other people's beliefs and behavior that has zero impact on your well being as offensive is the very definition of being a cucked snowflake (speaking in alt Right language) or as I would say it...being a fricking sensitive weenie. Get over the butthurt and move on. Nowhere else does political rallies occur in a workplace before you can get to work. Stop being butthurt that some people choose not to participate in your political activism.

Last edited:
I don't really have a strong opinion on this but I do think that anyone that intentionally sits for the anthem should be immediately executed for treason.

What's the sentence for Bubbas wearing the flag on their gross sweaty body as a grease stained shirt? That's against "the code", yet I don't see rednecks boycotting "The Wall Mart" for selling them.

I'm thinking stoning.

Fat-belly-AmericanFlag-shirt.JPG

r68g0.jpg

Finding other people's beliefs and behavior that has zero impact on your well being is the very definition of being a cucked snowflake (speaking in alt Right language) or as I would say it...being a fricking sensitive weenie. Get over the butthurt and move on. Nowhere else does political rallies occur in a workplace before you can get to work. Stop being butthurt that some people choose not to participate in your political activism.

Ok...let's say player X shows up to the next game wearing a nazi symbol on their tape, and the league chooses to do nothing. Thoughts?

Reactions: gwgwi
I just wish a thread like this focused less on the flag/anthem and more on the actual thing being protested... police brutality and inequality.

When weighing the severity of one (symbols of America we all love) vs the other (equal treatment and protection under the law for all Americans) I'd like to think we'd all say "hey, these actual living humans matter more than our symbols"

You've got every right to boycott if you choose to, similarly the NFL has made it clear they support their players using this 2-3 min before the game to sit/stand/kneel for something they believe deeply in.

We all have choices to make in life when it comes to things we're passionate about.

As for 'offensive', the kneeling was decided upon by Kap in consultation with former Army Green Beret Nate Boyer (https://undertheradar.military.com/2016/09/kaepernick-meets-veteran-nate-boyer-kneels-anthem/).

Sure some people can choose to be offended, but I hope they understand offending people was never the point. Getting people's attention about ongoing injustices is.

That green beret does not set the etiquette for proper respect for the flag or the national anthem. Like I said, not saying he doesn't have the right to protest, but we're a nation of consumers and we vote with our wallets, and that will hurt the NFL. So stupid on them!

By the way, I laugh when everyone is complaining that Kap doesn't have a job right now, besides him not being very good, he also turned down a nice paycheck by the niners and also made a statement last year that he understood that these statements could affect his eventual employment, so he knew!

Ok...let's say player X shows up to the next game wearing a nazi symbol on their tape, and the league chooses to do nothing. Thoughts?
Well, it's depends on the league's policy on symbols of hate I suppose.

Many may decide "hey, i can't stand for this, I'm not watching anymore", whereas many tikitorch fanatics with bad haircuts and poorly fitted khakis might suddenly become season ticket holders.

Personal choice.

That green beret does not set the etiquette for proper respect for the flag or the national anthem. Like I said, not saying he doesn't have the right to protest, but we're a nation of consumers and we vote with our wallets, and that will hurt the NFL. So stupid on them!

By the way, I laugh when everyone is complaining that Kap doesn't have a job right now, besides him not being very good, he also turned down a nice paycheck by the niners and also made a statement last year that he understood that these statements could affect his eventual employment, so he knew!
You're right, the Green Beret isn't the sole arbiter of proper respect of the flag, but the point I was making, if you read the entire article, is that Kap didn't once, even for a second, want to disrespect our troops. He seems to say so more than a few times and his actions hold true to those words.

People have chosen to find disrespect where none was intended, and in fact has been explicitly stated as such. I firmly believe a lot of people are using 'perceived' disrespect toward the flag/anthem to derail the thing they really find repugnant, the fight for equality.

Slightly different in that you can easily (and should) view the Nazis as a violent criminal terrorist group. And I doubt the treatment for a player wearing that would be any different than a player wearing an Isis flag, i.e. Suspension, fine and maybe firing if the behavior continues.

But let's say instead they were repping a less blatantly obvious nationalist and racist group like the Tea Party in general or something of that ilk that I strongly dislike. A group that doesn't advocate violence and has committed murders to further their racism. My opinion of the tea party could not be lower and that's coming from someone who believes in rational libertarianism (i.e. Some things have to be done by a group as it's against personal interests like environmentalism). But if some player came out repping a Tea Party Rulez! bandana and did some Tea Party chant before every game....I wouldn't care at all. I don't care that players kneel and pray or point at God. It doesn't affect me at all.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
People have chosen to find disrespect where none was intended, and in fact has been explicitly stated as such. I firmly believe a lot of people are using 'perceived' disrespect toward the flag/anthem to derail the thing they really find repugnant, the fight for equality.

This is absolutely true.

I'm not offended that you guys don't see any disrespect in not standing for the national anthem, I'm just sad, as a vet that's spent many years at war, I'm just sad at the current state of US sosciety because that flag represents us all, and shouldn't be used by anyone as a weapon of protest. I'm not going to change your mind, you're not going to change mine, so I'll just keep on keeping on being a "snowflake".

I just wish a thread like this focused less on the flag/anthem and more on the actual thing being protested... police brutality and inequality.

When weighing the severity of one (symbols of America we all love) vs the other (equal treatment and protection under the law for all Americans) I'd like to think we'd all say "hey, these actual living humans matter more than our symbols"

Most people don't want to talk about that. They focus on Kaepernick and how much he sucks, how disrespectful kneeling is to the anthem, that the NFL players are millionaires and should stick to football, etc. No one wants to really face this issue and it's not a winnable demonstration. The folks that get the issue were never ones that needed to be reached. They already know what problems exist.

The ones that don't think think these issues of inequality and police brutality without accountability in America will never be convinced by these demonstrations. I've already seen the stock "we're paying their salaries while I work 3 jobs! Screw you millionaires" and "we already have equality, NFL players don't know what they're talking about" as if NFL players are born rich and magically their life histories change the minute they enter the NFL.

People don't like being lectured or forced to have the hard look the mirror. It's hard to have these discussions, as Greg Popovich said this week, it makes people uncomfortable and so people avoid it.

And so we have a line drawn in the sand and people are taking sides. I'm seeing "I stand" shirts, facebook profile photos, stickers, it's absurd. Instead of facing the actual issue, people are focusing on what they perceive the issues to be and are completely missing the point.

We're at a stalemate point here and if the players change the awareness efforts, the "I stand" folks will think the forced the issue and "won". In the end, that was never what was at stake here.

I'm not offended that you guys don't see any disrespect in not standing for the national anthem, I'm just sad, as a vet that's spent many years at war, I'm just sad at the current state of US sosciety because that flag represents us all, and shouldn't be used by anyone as a weapon of protest. I'm not going to change your mind, you're not going to change mine, so I'll just keep on keeping on being a "snowflake".
I think the only point I'd like to reinforce here is that those who are kneeling are not doing it to disrespect you or any other soldier's service. Many have said they themselves have fathers, brothers, or sisters who fought or are fighting.

I'd ask you to see past any disrespect you see to the flag and anthem and assess the actual issue being raised. If you want to say "hey, that's an absolute garbage way of raising awareness, but damn it is a very important cause, one I risked my life for," then I think you and I can find common ground.

I think the only point I'd like to reinforce here is that those who are kneeling are not doing it to disrespect you or any other soldier's service. Many have said they themselves have fathers, brothers, or sisters who fought or are fighting.

I'd ask you to see past any disrespect you see to the flag and anthem and assess the actual issue being raised. If you want to say "hey, that's an absolute garbage way of raising awareness, but damn it is a very important cause, one I risked my life for," then I think you and I can find common ground.

As a sidebar. The Cowboys team demonstration was before the anthem and the entire team stood during the anthem. That still drew tons of boos, showing that this isn't really about the anthem.

I'm sure the NFL will come up with a new approach, PR move to start a new awareness program, etc, and will end the anthem demonstrations soon.

I believe it's an important issue, I support Anquon Boldins efforts, to me he's doing it the right way. I just don't think the flag should be used to protest anything.

Also, the flag doesn't represent the military, why that's always discussed is that we take a lot of pride in how we respect the country we may die for. The flag should represent you, me and everyone that's American.

You're right, the Green Beret isn't the sole arbiter of proper respect of the flag, but the point I was making, if you read the entire article, is that Kap didn't once, even for a second, want to disrespect our troops. He seems to say so more than a few times and his actions hold true to those words.

Excellent point. The perfect example of this was MNF when the Cowboys got boos for kneeling before the national anthem was played. This goes to show that the angry mob mentality was never about the anthem or the flag.

I believe it's an important issue, I support Anquon Boldins efforts, to me he's doing it the right way. I just don't think the flag should be used to protest anything.

Also, the flag doesn't represent the military, why that's always discussed is that we take a lot of pride in how we respect the country we may die for. The flag should represent you, me and everyone that's American.
Completely agree, very proud Anquan is one of ours and has forgone some extra NFL bucks to make changes in our world.

Also agree that the flag and anthem represent all of 320 million of us, which is partly why I am surprised that people have conflated players kneeling during the anthem with a direct disrespect of the military. There are 320 million of us and until we're all treated equal in the eyes of the law, that anthem isn't heard by us the same way, so it's understandable that there are varying interpretations of where the anthem even fits into this discussion.

The flag gets disrespected so many times a day on every beach in America, that I won't even start there.

The couple posts above also bring up a good issue, when the cowboys took a knee before the anthem, they were booed. For what? There wasn't an anthem playing or a flag unfurled across the field. That was people saying "no matter how or where you do this, we do not care about your equality"

I think a big issue now is people don't really know what the players are protesting. When Kap started it was police brutality & inequality of justice for minorities. Since then a lot of other issues seem to have been tacked on, including protesting the President. Just by kneeling during the anthem it is difficult to specify exactly what you are protesting, and people can decide what you are protesting...right or wrong.

My issue is the politicizing of the whole thing and all the media coverage. I don't watch football/baseball/soccer/etc. for any of that. I watch to get away from the political drama going on every day, the North Korea threats, the terrorist threats, etc. Since it has bled into the NFL as much as it has, I will go find something else to do with my time.

Reactions: FSU_Chris and gwgwi
A question.

Erase all this Kaepernick / kneeling stuff from your mind. Pretend it NEVER happened.

Okay, so let's say Russell Wilson and Chris Conte (picked two random dudes) start taking a knee during the anthem after both seeing their mothers pass from ovarian cancer (again picked a random disease and their moms are fine, i hope).

They say they're doing it because ovarian cancer doesn't get the funding or attention it deserves and they want to raise awareness for it and are using this 2-3 min time before each game to do so.

How would America react?

I think a big issue now is people don't really know what the players are protesting. When Kap started it was police brutality & inequality of justice for minorities. Since then a lot of other issues seem to have been tacked on, including protesting the President. Just by kneeling during the anthem it is difficult to specify exactly what you are protesting, and people can decide what you are protesting...right or wrong.

My issue is the politicizing of the whole thing and all the media coverage. I don't watch football/baseball/soccer/etc. for any of that. I watch to get away from the political drama going on every day, the North Korea threats, the terrorist threats, etc. Since it has bled into the NFL as much as it has, I will go find something else to do with my time.
I think this should clear up any confusion, featuring the one and only Anquan Boldin.

But a lot of veterans and military and police are kneeling too because they believe in the Consititution and the right people have to protest. Nobody is hating on America or the military...

But a lot of veterans and military and police are kneeling too because they believe in the Consititution and the right people have to protest. Nobody is hating on America or the military...
Exactly.

@Urban Cryer your opinion, as valid as it is, isn't even unanimous among veterans. There is no right or wrong here.

We can argue flags, anthems, kneeling, and for-profit patriotism until the cows come home (I have no cows). But the only thing I see as a clear cut issue is America's continuing struggle to fulfill the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. This is not a partisan or political issue, it's one of equality.

Last edited:
You're right, the Green Beret isn't the sole arbiter of proper respect of the flag, but the point I was making, if you read the entire article, is that Kap didn't once, even for a second, want to disrespect our troops.

Ha!
It's 2017! It doesn't matter what he meant, or intended to mean, it only matter how others interpret. See: confederate flag

Ha!
It's 2017! It doesn't matter what he meant, or intended to mean, it only matter how others interpret. See: confederate flag
I think we both know there's a difference in silently taking a knee during the national anthem vs draping yourself in the flag of a militia of traitors.

Let's stay on topic though, thread has done well to not get locked, would be good to keep it that way.

I think we both know there's a difference in silently taking a knee during the national anthem vs draping yourself in the flag of a militia of traitors.

You're saying you get to assign the motive to the expression based on your interpretation.

Not trying to get anything locked, simply pointing out what you mean by your actions means less than what others interpret it to mean.

That's just 2017.

A question.

Erase all this Kaepernick / kneeling stuff from your mind. Pretend it NEVER happened.

Okay, so let's say Russell Wilson and Chris Conte (picked two random dudes) start taking a knee during the anthem after both seeing their mothers pass from ovarian cancer (again picked a random disease and their moms are fine, i hope).

They say they're doing it because ovarian cancer doesn't get the funding or attention it deserves and they want to raise awareness for it and are using this 2-3 min time before each game to do so.

How would America react?

I'd scratch my head and wonder "why are they kneeling during the anthem for that?-- what good is that going to do?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT