ADVERTISEMENT

Spoilers don't click here the Hate flows through me

How Much money did Mark Hamill make to turn around and lower his hood?

Great movie. I predict before this trilogy ends, Kylo Ren will be helping the good guys.

What I didn't really like....

Han dies, the ship returns, and Leia and Chewbacca don't even acknowledge each other. I get it......they want to focus on Leia/Rey; but still, NO interaction?

No recognition at any point that Han died, after he died. Feel like that just deserves a LITTLE more attention. (I am biased with this)

Rey able to use the force so quickly with zero apparent training.

The actual end, major cliffhanger style....brutal.

Again, I really enjoyed it. My ranking:

ESB
ANH
TFA
ROTJ
ROTS
EP2
EP1

Han dies, the ship returns, and Leia and Chewbacca don't even acknowledge each other. I get it......they want to focus on Leia/Rey; but still, NO interaction?

No recognition at any point that Han died, after he died. Feel like that just deserves a LITTLE more attention. (I am biased with this)

ESB
ANH
TFA
ROTJ
ROTS
EP2
EP1

I'm not sure what else they could have done...Chewie's cry out with shot to Ren was brutal. His brief moment of mourning was also sad. I don't think I could have handled much more...it was hard enough watching Han die Qui Gon-style.

Cliff hanger was perfect, left me begging for Ep VIII.

Your ranking is SPOT ON!

Haven't seen much on this, so I'll say it here. J.J.'s focus on keeping the film grounded by limiting the green screen was spot on. Every scene inside the Millennium Falcon was terrific! Heck, I even smiled at the old analog targeting computers.

falcon2.jpg

I love the fact he took the time to build X-wings, TIE fighters, etc. He used the best parts of the original and prequels...loved the use of puppets/masks for the extras too.

Alaska, I guess the lack of any interaction and recognition that a key part of BOTH of their lives together between Leia and Chewbacca was the worst, along with no mention of it after. When he actually died, I get what you are saying and agree.

The old fashioned screen was a nice touch.

Alaska, I guess the lack of any interaction and recognition that a key part of BOTH of their lives together between Leia and Chewbacca was the worst, along with no mention of it after. When he actually died, I get what you are saying and agree.

The old fashioned screen was a nice touch.

Ya, maybe replace the Chewie alone scene with a Leia/Chewie embrace would have been better. Overall, great flick...brought the franchise back to life for sure.

What was your biggest surprise/shock (aside from Han...which I saw coming as soon as he started walking toward him).

For me it was Rey & Ren turning to get in the "Piece of junk" and it being the Falcon. I did not see that coming at all. That was my first GIANT SMILE and biggest "didn't see it coming/shock" moment.

Reactions: wbnolefan
What was your biggest surprise/shock (aside from Han...which I saw coming as soon as he started walking toward him).

Not sure...
Rey able to fly the Falcon right away
Kylo and Han having such a direct interaction
That the stormtroopers could actually fire straight!

Not sure...
Rey able to fly the Falcon right away
Kylo and Han having such a direct interaction
That the stormtroopers could actually fire straight!

I think she had flown it before, that's why she knew her way around it and that it was a "piece of junk."

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I think she had flown it before, that's why she knew her way around it and that it was a "piece of junk."

That's my guess especially since she calls herself a pilot. Driving a speeder alone doesn't make you a pilot anymore than me driving a car means I can fly an F22.

ESB
ANH
TFA
ROTJ
ROTS
EP2
EP1

I'd rank the original versions of the movies (for the special editions subtract 3 for ANH and 2 for the others) thusly

1) ESB 10/10
2) TFA 9/10
3) ANH 8.5/10
4) ROTJ 7.5/10
5) TPM 3.5/10 (the most useless movie but most complete story of the prequels)
6) ROTS 3/10
7) AOTC 2.5/10

Tribe, my gut tells me that as the dust settles, TFA will lose a LITTLE BIT of its luster (hey, I like it a lot, but it does have some issues), and most will put it behind ANH in their ranking.

Also, I think this movie had to do several things....
1) be a good stand alone movie (pressure, but not THAT much pressure)
2) be a good Star Wars movie (TONS of pressure)
3) re-engage people like us, who hated the prequels so much that we almost lost complete faith that Star Wars would/could ever be Star Wars again (EVEN MORE pressure)

It succeeded, and I can't wait to: 1) see it again, and 2) see the next chapter!

I'd rank the original versions of the movies (for the special editions subtract 3 for ANH and 2 for the others) thusly

1) ESB 10/10
2) TFA 9/10
3) ANH 8.5/10
4) ROTJ 7.5/10
5) TPM 3.5/10 (the most useless movie but most complete story of the prequels)
6) ROTS 3/10
7) AOTC 2.5/10

Was that point specifically stated in the movie? It seemed like after her and Finn escaped and they were talking, she didn't know how she did it. But I could have missed something.

"It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats back home." Luke never flew an X wing prior to blowing up the Death Star. He looked a lot more competent then Rey flying the falcon. Novice luke flying in a ship he's never flown before against "the greatest star fighter pilot in the galaxy" Jedi knight turned Sith Lord darth Vader. Granted Vader was about to smoke his arse until han shows up.

Reactions: Bartdog and mjpwooo
"It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats back home." Luke never flew an X wing prior to blowing up the Death Star. He looked a lot more competent then Rey flying the falcon. Novice luke flying in a ship he's never flown before against "the greatest star fighter pilot in the galaxy" Jedi knight turned Sith Lord darth Vader. Granted Vader was about to smoke his arse until han shows up.
It's part of the force mythology really. Ability to do fly like that is one of the clues the force is strong. It is why the kid Anakin could tinker with things similar to Rey and win the race in PM. I also think the fact she is doing things on her own by learning the force internally and so quickly points to immense power. She scared the crap out of Kylo when she pushed back on him when he was reading her mind.

Reactions: BelemNole
Any one have an explanation as to why Finn the Stormtrooper stopped being a Stormtrooper? What is happening there?

Any one have an explanation as to why Finn the Stormtrooper stopped being a Stormtrooper? What is happening there?

They don't really say other than he had went through the psychological programming training and for some reason it did not take hold.

Seeing the success with the Marvel universe, I suspect that Disney will follow suit with Star Wars and have several off story movies in the near future. I don't see them spending billions and making it 3 and done. They could easily do one with Finn and his back story.

They don't really say other than he had went through the psychological programming training and for some reason it did not take hold.

Seeing the success with the Marvel universe, I suspect that Disney will follow suit with Star Wars and have several off story movies in the near future. I don't see them spending billions and making it 3 and done. They could easily do one with Finn and his back story.
They will be doing a Han Solo back story. There are several other spin off movies in the works.

Going to go see it a second time today so I'm excited to see how it I feel about it after seeing it without the emotion of the "first time" and to pick up on some things I may have missed the first time.

to be fair to Luke, that wasn't a fighter vs fighter dogfight. Luke was in the middle of a bombing run and was vulnerable, unable to maneuver, etc. But the point about him being a good pilot because of the force is a good one and makes sense for Rey to have similar skills.

Which bring me to my other question... What about this hotshot pilot, Poe? Does he also have the force? Where will this character go as we move forward?

Going to go see it a second time today so I'm excited to see how it I feel about it after seeing it without the emotion of the "first time" and to pick up on some things I may have missed the first time.
Some interesting cameos, Daniel Craig playing the Stormtrooper who Rey told to release her, and Simon Pegg is the junk dealer.

to be fair to Luke, that wasn't a fighter vs fighter dogfight. Luke was in the middle of a bombing run and was vulnerable, unable to maneuver, etc. But the point about him being a good pilot because of the force is a good one and makes sense for Rey to have similar skills.

Which bring me to my other question... What about this hotshot pilot, Poe? Does he also have the force? Where will this character go as we move forward?

Poe was probably the most intriguing new character to me of the "New 3". I think he's just a very good pilot and "good guy" as opposed to being Force sensitive.

Finn, on the other hand, I think may be linked to the Force somehow and that may be a contributing factor as to why the storm trooper training and brainwashing didn't take on him.

Starkiller base makes some sense to me. Luke defeated Vader- by all accounts he's a powerful Jedi. Ren is no Vader, and who knows about Snoke.

The surest way to kill Luke would be to destroy the entire planet.

Last edited:
Starkiller base makes some sense to me. Luke defeated Vader- by all counts he's a powerful Jedi. Ren is no Vader, and who knows about Snoke.

The surest way to kill Luke would be to destroy the entire planet.

A lot of people hating on the fact that there was essentially another Death Star... and it was one of the few things I critiqued after viewing, but, the more I think about it... the more it makes sense. Ren is a Vader copycat. He idolizes him and wants "to finish what Vader started"... so following some of his blueprint totally makes sense.

Reactions: BelemNole
Interesting speculation on Rey's parents. Same with Finn.

Vader never cared much for the death star and judging by the way Ren looked conflicted on his ship's bridge as the laser volley was heading to its targets, i don't think he cared much for starkiller base either. It's brilliant how similar Vader and Ren are. Neither of them really cared much for their top general either.

One question i had was when snoke asked ren about the awakening, is it referring to finn? I'm guessing Finn is force sensitive judging by how he instantly caught ren's attention when he was going awol during the initial siege

Who's the old guy at the beginning?

Rey being Luke's offspring seems logical. Rey and Ren being twins doesn't seem logical as it wouldn't explain why she didn't recognize Leia.

Finn could be Lando's son possibly? Not a whole lot of african american options from 1-6. Mace Windu?

Anakin won a podracer race when he was 10 (or around there). Rey pilots other vehicles. Obviously in the star wars universe, ships are all piloted somewhat the same. Poe flew a tiefighter for the first time and somewhat effectively did it. Not impossible to see how Rey couldn't pick it up somewhat quickly if she has the force with her.

Rey being Luke's offspring seems logical. Rey and Ren being twins doesn't seem logical as it wouldn't explain why she didn't recognize Leia.

Finn could be Lando's son possibly? Not a whole lot of african american options from 1-6. Mace Windu?

I could see Mace Windu sooner than Lando. I bet that Finn will have some connection to the force which would make sense if he's a clone or the seed of Mace.

He better not be from Mace......I guess NONE of the jedi took that celibacy oath too seriously!

And I think it is okay that Finn isn't connected to anyone from the original trilogy. Let him stand on his own.

Finn, on the other hand, I think may be linked to the Force somehow and that may be a contributing factor as to why the storm trooper training and brainwashing didn't take on him.

Any chance Finn is Lando's son? He was kidnapped as a boy and that would make for a GREAT tie in for Ep VIII.

Thoughts (anyone)?

I'll trust JJ, but I really hope everyone's not related.

Well twins run in the Skywalker family, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Rey and Ben are twins. However, Luke being her father is what makes the most sense.

I thought Finn being the son of Lando would be a great way to bring Lando back into the picture.

Either way, I like the new crew of the Millennium Falcon being Chewie, Rey and Finn.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
ESB
ANH
ROTS
TFA
ROTJ
EP2
EP1

As for Rey she could be the offspring or relative to Obi Wan. In fact its a strongly likelihood she is in fact the niece of Kenobi.

I didn't care for how Han Solo died at least not his body falling in that reactor the way the emperor did. It was just too damn sad.

The script wasn't written for a black actor. John Boyega auditioned and won the role. He's not Lando or Mace's son. His character has nothing to do with anyone in the first 6 films. It remains to be seen though if he's force sensitive and will become a jedi under Luke.

Reactions: mjpwooo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT