ADVERTISEMENT

Spoilers don't click here the Hate flows through me

Thanks for that link.

Here's a question that may have already been asked. What was that weapon that the stormtrooper used against Finn when he first used the lightsaber? It seemed to repel the damage. If there aren't any Jedi's, and to their knowledge, no other lightsabers, why even have something like that?

Thanks for that link.

Here's a question that may have already been asked. What was that weapon that the stormtrooper used against Finn when he first used the lightsaber? It seemed to repel the damage. If there aren't any Jedi's, and to their knowledge, no other lightsabers, why even have something like that?

Possibly just out of precaution? I was watching Episode 3 yesterday and noticed some of Genereal Grievous' guards had that defense capability on their staffs.

It was a good movie.

But two huge knocks:

(1) Ren was a complete dud in the last scene. He had less lightsaber skills than the Stormtrooper who pushed Finn's junk in earlier in the movie. I hear the excuses but they wrote the script and I walked out with clear impression that the main antagonist is as tough as soggy toilet paper.

(2) Rey was like a cheat code in a video game.
* Great pilot.
* Great mechanic.
* Knows more about Falcon than Solo.
* Crack shot with blaster with no training.
* Fearless.
* Mind control with no training or even suggestion she could.
* Great duelist with lightsaber with no training.
* Move objects with no training.
* No negative personality traits at all.

She's a Jedi knight day 1. More than that, she's Han Solo/Luke Skywalker rolled into one. It's just lazy writing that flies in the face of rules created by 6 prior movies. I've read the excuses for this silliness - mainly, 'oh she's related to Luke'. Welp, Luke didn't go full Neo in A New Hope.

Otherwise, this was good. Below the original trilogy but a good watch.

Ren was, what some could argue, nearly mortally wounded by Chewbacca's crossbow blaster. If you noticed when it hit a Stormtrooper it tossed them back 20 feet. No one survived outside of Ren. It just dropped him to his knees and weakened him.

Rey was no more a knight then Luke was before heading to Dagoba system. You're also making a big assumption that she hasn't been previously trained in the force.

Reactions: BelemNole
Ren was, what some could argue, nearly mortally wounded by Chewbacca's crossbow blaster. If you noticed when it hit a Stormtrooper it tossed them back 20 feet. No one survived outside of Ren. It just dropped him to his knees and weakened him.

Rey was no more a knight then Luke was before heading to Dagoba system. You're also making a big assumption that she hasn't been previously trained in the force.

Luke also essentially destroyed the Death Star, all while piloting an X-Wing for the first time and taking out many of the Empire's fighters...

And I think we are to assume that Rey was possibly one of the younglings Luke was training before going into isolation.

Luke also essentially destroyed the Death Star, all while piloting an X-Wing for the first time and taking out many of the Empire's fighters...

And I think we are to assume that Rey was possibly one of the younglings Luke was training before going into isolation.

Right. Kid spends 18 years on Tatooine shooting whomp rats on his speeder but hops into an X-wing during an all or nothing assault while insulting seasoned pilots. Destroys the Death Star without aid or assistance from the million dollar navigation system and becomes the best pilot in the resistance. Yet no one complained about that.

My comments about Han dying are a bit tongue in cheek. I get why, in the context of the story, why he died.

My comments about how the filmmakers handled it though are not. I believe it was very poorly handled, and its a aw (to me) in this movie that I don't see myself accepting. Now upon second viewing, there seemed to have been a scene edited where Leia was upset (although with her plastic face, it's tough to tell if its a smile or frown), but who knows. Come on.........Chewbacca walls RIGHT BY HER?

Hope they release a director's cut.

I did as well. Really looking forward to seeing their characters grow.

It needed to happen at some point...he's the oldest of the gang.

I agree! But maybe there was some simbolism in that...he was a no-frills, smuggler.

Finn broke him out, the TIE fighter crashed, Poe was knocked out and when he woke up Finn was no where to be seen. I assume he was able to make contact upon reaching some sort of "civilization" and was picked up enroute.

Here's what Google told me: The Resistance is a separate organization from the Rebellion. The Rebel Alliance became the new government of the Galactic Republic (not the "New Republic," because the Rebels always maintained that they were fighting to restore the Republic). The Resistance is a rebellion, supported and funded by the Republic, within the space controlled by the First Order.

I have no issue with Rey being able to fly the ship/use the Force; assuming they explain HOW she can do these things (with no on screen training) in ep 8.

Re Luke, I always assumed that someone gave him some on the spot training on how to fly an X wing, we just never saw it on screen. We didn't see that with Rey and the Falcon. Maybe that's where this is all coming from.

Right. Kid spends 18 years on Tatooine shooting whomp rats on his speeder but hops into an X-wing during an all or nothing assault while insulting seasoned pilots. Destroys the Death Star without aid or assistance from the million dollar navigation system and becomes the best pilot in the resistance. Yet no one complained about that.

Ren was not mortally wounded by the blaster. Good night. He was walking around doing stuff. Was he thumping his chest. Sure. But that's it. If you want to show the audience he's mortally wounded, do you have him race and beat Rey and Finn outside? Ren is talking normally. If Ren was mortally wounded, they did a horrific job conveying that.

I'm making an "assumption" that Rey who asked if the force was real and if Luke was a real person had no force training from Luke? That looks like the only assumption to make. You guys are making the assumption that Rey did because otherwise the writing is slop. Please acknowledge that if she has had no previous force training then I am right about her being overpowered.

Luke was exceptionally good at one thing in A New Hope. One. And to pull it off he used about the only lesson that he had been taught by Obi. But it was an actual lesson he relied upon. And the force spirit of Obi. He also was petulant. Struggled to focus and use the force. Essentially didn't use the lightsaber in first film - when he did Luke had serious struggles. Really struggled in second film to move things with his mind.

But let's hammer this home - Luke was exceptionally good at one thing in A New Hope that the movie at least explained that he was good at hitting a small target at a distance and had trained for years + he closed his eyes and relied upon the force by Obi.

Rey is exceptionally good at 8 things with no real explanation of any of it. And she has no personal character flaws. Guys, I am suspending my disbelief but even a fantasy world has to have internal rules and this craps on those rules by making an overpowered, perfect character who owns the main antagonist in the first movie of a trilogy.

Reactions: Bartdog
Ren was not mortally wounded by the blaster. Good night. He was walking around doing stuff. Was he thumping his chest. Sure. But that's it. If you want to show the audience he's mortally wounded, do you have him race and beat Rey and Finn outside? Ren is talking normally. If Ren was mortally wounded, they did a horrific job conveying that.

I'm making an "assumption" that Rey who asked if the force was real and if Luke was a real person had no force training from Luke? That looks like the only assumption to make. You guys are making the assumption that Rey did because otherwise the writing is slop. Please acknowledge that if she has had no previous force training then I am right about her being overpowered.

Luke was exceptionally good at one thing in A New Hope. One. And to pull it off he used about the only lesson that he had been taught by Obi. But it was an actual lesson he relied upon. And the force spirit of Obi. He also was petulant. Struggled to focus and use the force. Essentially didn't use the lightsaber in first film - when he did Luke had serious struggles. Really struggled in second film to move things with his mind.

But let's hammer this home - Luke was exceptionally good at one thing in A New Hope that the movie at least explained that he was good at hitting a small target at a distance and had trained for years + he closed his eyes and relied upon the force by Obi.

Rey is exceptionally good at 8 things with no real explanation of any of it. And she has no personal character flaws. Guys, I am suspending my disbelief but even a fantasy world has to have internal rules and this craps on those rules by making an overpowered, perfect character who owns the main antagonist in the first movie of a trilogy.

Yes, the assumption she was trained by Luke and then left on Jakku... and she clearly doesn't have a memory of her childhood due to the trauma of being left OR that if she was one of the trained children, her memory was wiped when left. And the FORCE WAS AWOKEN in her when she was told it was real, she began to believe, and then touched the lightsaber.

Not really a hard or outlandish assumption to make there.

Without singling anyone in particular out, when I see the gripes I just chuckle and hear this in my head.

Seriously, it was a quick paced action blockbuster with great practical effects set pieces, quality humor rather than Lucas animal fart jokes to change the pacing and mood and solid acting from everyone except Carrie Fisher who did the best she could behind all that silicon and botulism killed face. Star Wars was never some deep Science Fiction drama, it's an homage to fantasy serials and early Japanese samurai soaps and nothing deeper. I get the same reaction when I get the Dr Who nerds talking about their literal daytime kiddie show like its a meaningful drama. You've got to get at least as "serious" as Star Trek series of something else actually addressing the human condition before I get worked up about little minutia.

Besides nearly all of the "flaws" mentioned equally apply to the originals and a million times more so for the prequels which actually do deserve sharp criticism.

I'm making an "assumption" that Rey who asked if the force was real and if Luke was a real person had no force training from Luke? That looks like the only assumption to make. You guys are making the assumption that Rey did because otherwise the writing is slop. Please acknowledge that if she has had no previous force training then I am right about her being overpowered...
...Rey is exceptionally good at 8 things with no real explanation of any of it. And she has no personal character flaws. Guys, I am suspending my disbelief but even a fantasy world has to have internal rules and this craps on those rules by making an overpowered, perfect character who owns the main antagonist in the first movie of a trilogy.

Asking if things are real implies that legends/stories are being told about the capabilities of the Jedi, so once she began to realize the force might be in her after touching the lightsabre and resisting Ren's mind meld,Rey could jumpstart her self-training by trying to do things she's heard about -- like the power of suggestion. Not sure if you included her staff fighting skills among the list of things that she's good at, but that would somewhat translate to lightsabre fighting too. That said, she is kind of overpowered in this film. I'll let it go since they are trying to establish her as the next LEGENDARY character in this franchise and they have two more films to show her flaws. I'll also be interested in her parentage - assuming Luke is her father, who is mom? If she is/was also a Jedi, it could explain Rey's exceptionality.

It seems reasonable that she was placed on the planet with new memories though. If Luke disbanded his Jedi Dojo after losing one to the dark side, he'd do all he could to make sure his youngling students would forget their training. Such as making them irrationally tied to an outpost world.

Finn's another that had some childhood upheaval, so he may have been taken from wherever Luke placed him. The fact that he could even use a lightsabre must mean that he has the force, right? I guess Ren wasn't advanced enough in his training to pick up on it while they were stationed together on Deathstar 3.0. Although his race may not have been specified during auditions as mentioned above, they could later reveal that he's in the Windu bloodline, either as a direct descendant or a nephew, etc.

Future films might add a few more semi-trained Jedi realizing their powers and reuniting on one side or the other.

Okay, I just saw it for the third time. A few new questions/observations:

- when C3PO says that R2 is in low-power mode, if I'm a human, I'm saying...."the hell with you, machine. I'm plugging your ass into the wall outlet to get the info I need."
- How does R2D2 have the map, if he's not been following Luke since Luke left?
- BB8 has Luke's END POINT on the map. why is R2 even necessary? Just get to the end point.
- Maz asks Han (after Finn leaves the table), "Who's the girl?"....they immediately cut to Rey-Finn. So, we never really get an idea of if Han knows who she is. Pretty sure he doesn't, but would be interested to know how this scene was edited.
- Han asks Maz "where did you get that?" about Luke's lighsaber. She says: "a good question, to answer at a later time." That's some BS right there. They could have taken 30 seconds to answer the damn question. And why wouldn't Maz give it to Han vs Finn? Needs to be answered in Ep 8. (Need may be a bit strong, but hope they answer that.)
- How does Kylo get to the woods BEFORE Rey/Finn, while he's injured....
- Kylo is told there was a girl who helped the 'droid' escape, and Kylo goes bananas, choking the dude. Why would he react that way? It's clear Kylo does NOT know who she is, when he's speaking with Snope after she mind-force F's Kylo....
- The fat alien garbage dealer had Baby Rey in his grip when Rey's parents fly away....
- I'm still pissed Chewbacca walks right by Leia after he returns from the Star Killer. That really is unacceptable in my book.
- Related to that, I don't understand why Leia would embrace Rey (or vice versa). Neither know who the other is (AS FAR AS WE KNOW!!!), so it just doesn't make sense.
- Would have liked to see how Poe gets off Jakku and if/how he's adjusted to getting force-mind effed.
- A poster above pointed out that Rey is the all-time game cheat...better pilot than Han, better Jedi than Luke, no character flaws. That poster is correct, and it's a big problem IF IF IF those items aren't addressed very quickly in Episode 8. It's got to be addressed. If it is, and it makes sense, I'm guessing MOST fans will accept what happened and how it happened.

That's it for now. Nerd Alert can be called off.......

When they're all on the Falcon, Rey refers to Chewbacca as "Chewie", even thought no one else had referred to him as such in the film to that point.

- BB8 has Luke's END POINT on the map. why is R2 even necessary? Just get to the end point.

I assumed that R2 got the info on all the Jedi Temples when he downloaded information from the death star in the original trilogy. I'm sure that the Empire had all this information to hunt down and destroy any remains of the Jedi Order. They said when viewing BB8s info that it had no known reference point so they had no context of where it was located in the galaxy.

I assumed that R2 got the info on all the Jedi Temples when he downloaded information from the death star in the original trilogy. I'm sure that the Empire had all this information to hunt down and destroy any remains of the Jedi Order. They said when viewing BB8s info that it had no known reference point so they had no context of where it was located in the galaxy.
Glad someone was paying attention. ;)

- when C3PO says that R2 is in low-power mode, if I'm a human, I'm saying...."the hell with you, machine. I'm plugging your ass into the wall outlet to get the info I need." This is easy enough to explain, Luke put an override in that could only by undone by him with some sort of Force manipulation.
- How does R2D2 have the map, if he's not been following Luke since Luke left? Another easy one. Luke knew his route and end point and put it in R2.
- BB8 has Luke's END POINT on the map. why is R2 even necessary? Just get to the end point. That was discussed in the movie. The area in BB8's map was not a recognizable sector on any star map. Even the R2 area was something the First Order found by digging through the old Republic's archives. Similar to how the Clone Planet was scrubbed from the Jedi Archives.
- Maz asks Han (after Finn leaves the table), "Who's the girl?"....they immediately cut to Rey-Finn. So, we never really get an idea of if Han knows who she is. Pretty sure he doesn't, but would be interested to know how this scene was edited. I think Han had an idea. Would have liked to seen that convo.
- Han asks Maz "where did you get that?" about Luke's lighsaber. She says: "a good question, to answer at a later time." That's some BS right there. They could have taken 30 seconds to answer the damn question. And why wouldn't Maz give it to Han vs Finn? Needs to be answered in Ep 8. (Need may be a bit strong, but hope they answer that.) Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't this the scene where the Tie Fighters had already started bombing the bar? Or had just started to as the question was asked? Seems to fit with not having time for a lengthy answer, which it looked like it was going to be.
- How does Kylo get to the woods BEFORE Rey/Finn, while he's injured....Another exit? The Force? I mean the guy was literally punching a wound to juice himself.
- Kylo is told there was a girl who helped the 'droid' escape, and Kylo goes bananas, choking the dude. Why would he react that way? It's clear Kylo does NOT know who she is, when he's speaking with Snope after she mind-force F's Kylo....I think you are reading too much in to this scene. To me it was more about Kylo not being in control and showing his rage than it was a commentary on any relationship with/to Rey. Also it could be more about losing someone who could help find the droid. I mean at that point the movie was pointing you towards the map being the most important thing in the galaxy.
- The fat alien garbage dealer had Baby Rey in his grip when Rey's parents fly away....Missed that
- I'm still pissed Chewbacca walks right by Leia after he returns from the Star Killer. That really is unacceptable in my book. Not a biggie in my book. Leia and Chewie had a contentious at best relationship in the original trilogy. The fact that they might not want to grieve in each other's arms isn't a big deal to me.
- Related to that, I don't understand why Leia would embrace Rey (or vice versa). Neither know who the other is (AS FAR AS WE KNOW!!!), so it just doesn't make sense. I think this would be a better explained scene if we knew convos from off camera. Han and Leia talked before they left for DS3, what was said? Who knows.
- Would have liked to see how Poe gets off Jakku and if/how he's adjusted to getting force-mind effed. Me too
- A poster above pointed out that Rey is the all-time game cheat...better pilot than Han, better Jedi than Luke, no character flaws. That poster is correct, and it's a big problem IF IF IF those items aren't addressed very quickly in Episode 8. It's got to be addressed. If it is, and it makes sense, I'm guessing MOST fans will accept what happened and how it happened. I think rey's lineage will assuage most of these issues going forward

That's it for now. Nerd Alert can be called off.......

I'm telling you, Rey is Han/Leia's kid.

Could be. The possibilities are Leia's kid, Luke's loinfruit, Obi Wan's grandchild or just a random trainee under Luke. My guess is she's a Kenobi from the accent, hearing his words most of all and some talk about script changes saying they wanted to move from it being solely a Skywalker story.

Glad someone was paying attention. ;)

Also they reference in one of the new Star Wars books that describe the new characters, aliens, robots etc that as part of a "going away present" the old empire forces deleted most of the star Maps so they could rebuild in the outskirts. This forced the new Republic to rexplore and use old trader maps that were pieced together hodgepodge. The old guy in the beginning of force awakens was one of the old traders who provider old maps and rexplored routes to the New Republic.

So really the movie works fine. For the ordinary viewing public saying "we don't know how to find him because we don't have a map....oh look a new map" works perfectly fine as a plot device. For the übernerds pushing up their taped glasses saying "but there's previous maps" there's an explanation in the books.

Could be. The possibilities are Leia's kid, Luke's loinfruit, Obi Wan's grandchild or just a random trainee under Luke. My guess is she's a Kenobi from the accent, hearing his words most of all and some talk about script changes saying they wanted to move from it being solely a Skywalker story.
Or a convergence of the Kenobi/Skywalker lineages, explaining her extreme powers.

- Would have liked to see how Poe gets off Jakku and if/how he's adjusted to getting force-mind effed.
A different question that I saw somewhere is: WHY did Poe leave Jakku? For all he knew, Fin was dead and BB-8 was still in hiding somewhere nearby. Wouldn't his primary mission be to find the droid/map? And if he worked his way back to the rebels, wouldn't he have them immediately head to the planet? I guess if enough time passes during the movie, word could spread about other sightings.
But that brings another question: How much time actually elapses during the course of this movie? It seemed to be pretty non-stop, without any training montages or travelling delays, etc.

R2D2-and-Luke-Skywalker-in-The-Force-Awakens.jpg

I read a theory that Kylo Ren is actually turning to the Dark Side to infiltrate and kill Snoke. He has an obsession with his grandad and wants to be exactly like him. If this theory holds true, then Rey and Kylo become the new balance of the force as equals. This also means that Snoke, Luke, and Leia all have to kick the bucket as well. To kill only Snoke means there would be an unbalance with Luke hanging around. Granted it's in favor of the good guys.........or is it? Like Anakin said, "From my point of view the Jedi are evil."
I believe Rey has to become the ultimate light and Kylo has to become the ultimate dark. The only other way I can see this playing out is they both embrace the light and dark and gain FULL control of the force neither being a Jedi nor a Sith. They just become, the force.

JJ said he doesn't like directors cuts but that doesn't mean that Disney won't throw together an extended version with the scenes that were already fully shot and just cut at the last minute.

Oh I'm sure some did but we were kids back then and the public did not have the internet to discuss what they liked or disliked.

Saw it this weekend. Not a Star Wars nerd, but I like a well done action movie, so like the Hunger Games or Marvel movies, if it gets good buzz I'll check it out.

First half - Loved it. Liked the new characters, liked the setup, like the new Darth Vader, liked the battle on the Falcon, like Harrison Ford's performance, and the chemistry with the new actors. Loved the stuff with maz kinata or whatever. Easily my favorite Star Wars to that point.

Second half - Are you kidding me? Halfway through a new and original Star Wars vision, they basically scrap it all to repeat what's been done ad nauseum in previous movies. Unbelievable. When the guy said "the weapon is ready" I leaned over to my son and said "If it's another freaking Death Star, I'm leaving." I wish I had. Let's check the boxes:
- Death star blows up a planet
- Need to destroy the death star
- Death star has a flaw
- need X wings to fly down a shoot pursued by tie fighters to hit the magic spot
- team of rebels wander around the death star for ages. After 25 years, the death star still has worse security than my kids elementary school.
- Oh, those daddy issues
- Light sabers on a catwalk
- somebody got seduced to the dark side by the king of the dark side

What? You just abandon an perfectly interesting movie to recycle basically everything? I'm no Star Wars devotee, but if I was it would feel like a slap in the face after waiting so long. Is there really no other story to tell in this universe? None at all?

I saw Creed recently. Loved that movie...such a similar scenario in terms of rebooting a franchise. But it's as if in that movie, after getting signed to the big fight and all the set up for Adonis Creed, Adonis breaks his ankle, Rocky steps in to take the fight, fights a wrestler first, does some training montages, runs up something, somebody dies, and there's a big fight with both guys throwing 200 air punches by round before Rocky wins by improbably knockout. That's what a dramatic shift it seemed like in Force Awakens from a new story to basically a remake.

Also, for some reason, in the second half, everything is convenient as hell. The stuff with Rey knowing all the force stuff, I don't care about that because I'm not that invested in the mythology, but it seems like it fits into the general trend of things just being whatever you need them to be. How we get through the shields? Oh, it's a special kind of shield that the Millenium Falcon can get through. Where is the rest of the map? Oh it's in R2D2. How do we find Rey? Oh, look she's right behind us. It just comes off incredibly lazy.

Whatever. I was loving it, and then I was hating it. I give it 3.5 stars for the first part and .5 star for the second half, so 2.25 stars.

The book expands on all of this.

Kylo thought killing Solo would strengthen him. It didn't He became weaker because he lost light powers. This is why he couldn't perceive the bowcaster shot which further weakened him.

Kylo was playing with Finn until the extrooper landed a shot, and then he ended it quickly therafter. Finn could not perceive the Force according to the book.

Saw it on Saturday night - loved it!

Ok first and foremost and as has been mentioned 50 times already there are holes that the audience has been asked to fill, which is convenient, because Rey is smoking hot. back to the movie plot now

I tend to feel that Rey is a Kenobi lineage - could be Skywalker but not certain at all. My "out there" prediction is that Poe is her brother.

Having only seen the movie once I seem to recall that when discussing why Luke bailed, was it mentioned that the unnamed student, presumably Ren, killed the other students in training?

Something to ponder. The other british actors, like the guy who played Finn, were asked to use an American accent, but not Rey. Why do you suppose that is? Could she not pull one off, or is it pointing at her lineage?

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Something to ponder. The other british actors, like the guy who played Finn, were asked to use an American accent, but not Rey. Why do you suppose that is? Could she not pull one off, or is it pointing at her lineage?

It's been eluded to that she may be a Kenobi. Her dress, fighting style, and actions on the Uber Death Star were mimics if him.

That's the main thing that makes me inclined to think she's a Kenobi rather than a Skywalkers or a random person.

After reading an article on the subject though, I HOPE she's neither a Kenobi nor a Skywalker. It would help enrich the Star Wars universe if she's not related to anyone rather than to say only if you're born to the Star Wars "royalty" lineage can you be an amazing forceuser. It would be more egalitarian and open up more storylines for later movies if ANYONE could be an amazingly powerful person.

It's been eluded to that she may be a Kenobi. Her dress, fighting style, and actions on the Uber Death Star were mimics if him.

Or maybe she was Luke's mistress, maybe like 10-12 years ago. Yeah, I like that idea...

Sincerely,
G. Lucas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT