ADVERTISEMENT

Thailand Cave Rescue

yeah...me either. I don't understand how any of this happened.
Long story short. These kids were familiar with the cave, as it's a national park in their area. It was open at the time and the monsoons werent supposed to start for another month It's a regular initiation to sign your name on a wall, not far from entrance. They were in there when torrential rain poured in unexpectedly and were forced all the way back or risk drowning in high currents of water. They had no other option and here we are now.

Last edited:
These 8-10 hour pauses make me nervous. Couldn't they have more already filled tanks brought in by now? More divers to spell the tired ones. Get them out before more rains come!

Reactions: West Duval Nole
These 8-10 hour pauses make me nervous. Couldn't they have more already filled tanks brought in by now? More divers to spell the tired ones. Get them out before more rains come!
I think they need to put oxygen back in the open area of the caves as well as give the divers bodies time to release stored up nitrogen from the dives.

Reactions: ericram
The only thing that worries me about the pauses is the chance of monsoons to start. They have been very fortunate until now. As for note air, they are placing and replacing air tanks along the route out. There is only so much room for the divers, equipment and the boys. It has to be done in stages. They can only do so many and then a new team must replace the tanks so the they can do it again.

%*%*# that! I would rather jump out of a plane armed only with a wingsuit personally readied by Ranger than attempt (no way I would make it anyways, those are pretty small Thai dudes barely squeaking by) to go through that gauntlet.

I kind of figured you could fly without anything other than your greatness. Not surprising though that in any and all high stress scenarios you are cool as the other side of the pillow.

Now to what this thread is about (hint not tribe). What these divers are doing is by far one of the more amazing things you will see in your lifetime; the set of balls on these dudes is not measurable. It is one thing to dive in dangerous places or even a standard cave dive; it is another to have to change tanks and literally crawl for hours and then do it again with a kid. If I remember correctly someone here has done cave diving, maybe Free? Curious what there thoughts are.

I think they need to put oxygen back in the open area of the caves as well as give the divers bodies time to release stored up nitrogen from the dives.
Don't know about the O2 level thing, but more divers can be flown in. Plenty of military and high risk type divers around the world. I would think they would jump at the chance to help out.

I have to admit I was also wondering why more divers were not brought in so they could get it done in a day.

I'm about to delete a bunch of post instead of nuking this thread. I'll nuke posters next.
No issue with this. You can look at my history and see what my pattern is and what I have posted. As long it is warranted and balanced seems fair to me.

ofgqe.jpg

Don't know about the O2 level thing, but more divers can be flown in. Plenty of military and high risk type divers around the world. I would think they would jump at the chance to help out.

I thought the same thing at first but upon further examination it seems to me that it's better to have the same divers who know the route well do it rather than have a newcomer try it out for the first time, even if the newcomer has great skills.

I'm about to delete a bunch of post instead of nuking this thread. I'll nuke posters next.

Warning: Threats against other posters are not allowed on this board. Consider this your last warning. If it happens again your posting privileges will be revoked for a week.

How did I do?

I thought the same thing at first but upon further examination it seems to me that it's better to have the same divers who know the route well do it rather than have a newcomer try it out for the first time, even if the newcomer has great skills.
Good point. A veteran diver already died. Also you need really the best of best cave divers, not divers. And small guys too, narrowing the field a bunch.

It's truly remarkable. I hope they have been documenting this along the way or at least we can get a comprehensive story of how all of this actually went down. From the initial stranding, to the discovery, planning, rescue. All of it has been harrowing and fantastic.

It's truly remarkable. I hope they have been documenting this along the way or at least we can get a comprehensive story of how all of this actually went down. From the initial stranding, to the discovery, planning, rescue. All of it has been harrowing and fantastic.

Movie coming, I suspect.

11th rescued. One more kid and the coach. Then whoever else stayed in the cave with them, I think a doctor, nurse, and a couple divers.
I didn't realize that some doctors and nurses went into the cave and stayed with the kids. Hats off to those folks too. I wonder how that conversation went. Hey Doc so what are you doing the next week or so?

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
"I hope all four kids... the coach, and the doctor and three SEALs will be all out today," Former Chiang Rai governor and rescue mission commander Narongsak Osotthanakorn told reporters Tuesday.

That's who was left at the start of the day.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
For those that really pay attention to this stuff how does this compare to the miners that were trapped in Latin America I think? I pay slight attention to these types of things and didn't see the miner's movie. I have to imagine this is a much tougher situation since they are kids and if you put water into the mix it changes everything.

For those that really pay attention to this stuff how does this compare to the miners that were trapped in Latin America I think? I pay slight attention to these types of things and didn't see the miner's movie. I have to imagine this is a much tougher situation since they are kids and if you put water into the mix it changes everything.
The miners were down there 69 days.

This............it's all about repetition, and the safest thing for those kids are divers that have done this particular route before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT