ADVERTISEMENT

The Official 2018 World Cup Thread...

Was thinking earlier today, why even have the 3rd place game?

Can’t imagine the teams are terribly fired up unless they’re both “Cinderella’s”.

$$$ and experience for all the bench players that played little-to-no minutes in this WC? At least it gives us something to watch Saturday morning! Only a few more Saturdays until CFB starts up, may as well make one of the remaining ones somewhat count.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Tampa,
I think that has been a problem for England ever since Beckham and Scholes retired from International football. One thing I dont think enough players do nowadays is take shots from outside the box with power to see if they can get a rebound or just make the defenders come out to try to block shots.

Reactions: fsUTampa
Future looks bright for England. I would expect a nice run in the Euros and I dont think there is any key players that wont be in their prime for WC 2022.

The 2022 WC is supposedly being played in December, correct? I haven't seen that finalized, just rumored. If so, I wonder if there will be any obvious differences with the Euro club players and their fitness. Less "in shape", but also less "tired" from the end of a long season. And the reverse for MLS (and the other Americas) league players.

With respect to the 3rd place game I do think that internationally that is something that as Americans we view differently than a lot of the world. Not saying these countries in particular will care but I think they might. Whereas most Americans have the Tiger Woods mentality of anything short of winning it all is a failure the rest of the world really does value a good tournament and good showing.

This England squad can get the second best finish of any England squad in WC history. And the players still value individual accomplishments such as scoring a goal in a WC.

With respect to the 3rd place game I do think that internationally that is something that as Americans we view differently than a lot of the world. Not saying these countries in particular will care but I think they might. Whereas most Americans have the Tiger Woods mentality of anything short of winning it all is a failure the rest of the world really does value a good tournament and good showing.

This England squad can get the second best finish of any England squad in WC history. And the players still value individual accomplishments such as scoring a goal in a WC.
This keeps all the Spurs, Chelskis & Mancs in Russia longer. Ergo, they report later to training, thereby weakening their sides for opening day. Goood news for Arsenal fans, but a stupid, unnecessary thing for those squads I mentioned, among others.

Tampa,
From what I understand since WC2022 is being played in the middle east they will play in winter unless FIFA takes the tourney away like they should lol I think there is a possibility if Qatar cant get everything in order they may take it, though not sure where it would be held since the US is the easier place to play it on short turn around.

I think that playing it in the Winter will be wonderful in terms of fitness because it only takes these athletes a month or two to get in form. Its practically year round for modern day footballer. Preseason friendlies have already been taking place and even some European qualifiers for the baby clubs.

Reactions: fsUTampa
Les,
From what I can tell its an additional 3-4 days. They play the game on Saturday so for the English they stay Thu, Fri and Sat longer than before. Wont impact them in the slightest. Now, what those clubs are worried about are injuries. That is a huge concern.

Les,
From what I can tell its an additional 3-4 days. They play the game on Saturday so for the English they stay Thu, Fri and Sat longer than before. Wont impact them in the slightest. Now, what those clubs are worried about are injuries. That is a huge concern.
It will absolutely impact them. That’s 3-4 days longer that the players have to wait to begin their vacations (which are basically mandatory and tend to last a month or thereabouts).

Premier league opens on August 11. That’s basically a month from today.

Those players won’t (likely) even be reporting to practice until that date or possibly even afterwards.

Those players will miss a minimum of 2-3 matches, possibly more.

This is a big deal and a huge waste of time for the clubs I mentioned.

Reactions: seminoleed
Tampa,
From what I understand since WC2022 is being played in the middle east they will play in winter unless FIFA takes the tourney away like they should lol I think there is a possibility if Qatar cant get everything in order they may take it, though not sure where it would be held since the US is the easier place to play it on short turn around.

Is there any hope this actually happens, though? And I'd assume it would probably be played in England, then, since the US just got 2026, as I believe England would be the only other country (maybe Germany?) to pull off a World Cup in that short of a time frame.

Les,
But we were talking about the 3rd place game and why is it being played. My point is whether they play it or not has no real impact on the players barring injury. You are right that they will get vacation and report to their clubs later. But they are not missing 2-3 matches because of the 3rd place game. They are missing those matches because they made it to the semifinals.

The impact of the 3rd place game is negligible.

November 21 - December 18, 2022

Those are the dates (listed now) for the Qatar World Cup in 2022.
Wow that is going to be a sports marathon here! CFB, NFL, WC, and NBA all going on at once!

Fox will have an interesting situation in determining how to run their Sat/Sun broadcasts where they have high-priced rights to CFB, NFL, and WC games.

Bad news, watching the WC outdoors in beer gardens and with fans is a great experience, which will now be super cold.

I doubt that FIFA will take the WC away from Qatar. Would be great if they would IMO. They bought it corruptly and near slave like conditions in building the stadiums.

In terms of being able to host a WC on short notice I think that the US is one that can easily do that. But realistically I think England and Germany could easily do it. They have the big stadiums you need to host a WC along with infrastructure. Germany just hosted so that would be a strike against them. France and Italy could probably host. But I think you would see backlash from the non Euros, especially since it was just in Russia this year.

An interesting idea to me would be if they talked to Australia and NZ about a joint host. They have a lot of rugby and cricket stadia there to host football matches. It would be winter there so weather would be no problem and actually be pleasant probably. And it is in a different region of the world. Major negative is that getting there is expensive and hard for most fans.

Wow that is going to be a sports marathon here! CFB, NFL, WC, and NBA all going on at once!

Fox will have an interesting situation in determining how to run their Sat/Sun broadcasts where they have high-priced rights to CFB, NFL, and WC games.

Bad news, watching the WC outdoors in beer gardens and with fans is a great experience, which will now be super cold.
Do we know for sure that Fox has the 2022 WC too? Based on how abysmal their announcing teams have been (other than the Derek Rae/Aly Wagner pairing) I was really hoping they’d not have it again.

Because I love hypotheticals that involve logistics.

I'd say in a pinch obviously he US is most prepared, we've got more top-flight stadiums than anyone needs.

But since that's unlikely b/c of 2026, a joint France/Spain or France/England WC would make sense.

If a WC in Europe is unpalatable to much of the world, I like the Aussie/Kiwi idea. It's far but so were South Africa and Brazil.

Do we know for sure that Fox has the 2022 WC too? Based on how abysmal their announcing teams have been (other than the Derek Rae/Aly Wagner pairing) I was really hoping they’d not have it again.
Yes. Fox has rights through 2022 (and I believe 2026 was given to Fox without a proper bidding process).

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news/y=2011/m=10/news=fifa-awards-rights-for-2015-2022-1530715.html

Edit: Yes Fox + Telemundo has rights thru WC2026 https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/new...ghts-in-us-and-canada-until-2026-2523607.html

The Qatar WC will indeed be a disaster.
Each big league will start earlier in August and run later in May to compensate for the winter WC, which will also affect the starting dates of the following seasons.
Expect huge upsets that season in domestic cups especially and even the Champions League as injuries and fitness will kill the big 10-15 clubs in Europe that season.

If I recall correctly, in their original bid I believe Qatar said they would have no issues holding the WC in it's regular months. I think they were going to build air conditioned stadiums or something like that.

The moment they went back on that and requested a move to winter, FIFA should have taken it away and awarded it to the US, who finished second in voting. For some reason FIFA had no issue with moving it to winter, and I am pretty sure all the club teams complained loudly about it.

With those stadiums being built with slave labor, FIFA should take it away. It would make a great statement to the rest of the world. On the one hand, FIFA is seems to be trying to curtail racism and sexism in the sport, but turns a blind eye to an entire nation using slave labor to build stadiums. There are plenty of options to move the WC to, and there are four years to get things ready. Makes no sense.

If I recall correctly, in their original bid I believe Qatar said they would have no issues holding the WC in it's regular months. I think they were going to build air conditioned stadiums or something like that.

The moment they went back on that and requested a move to winter, FIFA should have taken it away and awarded it to the US, who finished second in voting. For some reason FIFA had no issue with moving it to winter, and I am pretty sure all the club teams complained loudly about it.

With those stadiums being built with slave labor, FIFA should take it away. It would make a great statement to the rest of the world. On the one hand, FIFA is seems to be trying to curtail racism and sexism in the sport, but turns a blind eye to an entire nation using slave labor to build stadiums. There are plenty of options to move the WC to, and there are four years to get things ready. Makes no sense.

Bribery.gif

FIFA has to be the most corrupt and hypocritical organization in sport. It is just a joke when they try to take any kinda of stance on an ethical ground. They are trying to clean it up now but "doing the right thing" is not something that FIFA ever does unless it coincides with the most lucrative thing. And that is lucrative for the individuals getting to vote.

FIFA has to be the most corrupt and hypocritical organization in sport. It is just a joke when they try to take any kinda of stance on an ethical ground. They are trying to clean it up now but "doing the right thing" is not something that FIFA ever does unless it coincides with the most lucrative thing. And that is lucrative for the individuals getting to vote.

I don't know if they're THE most corrupt, but they're certainly fighting for that title with the Olympics.

I honestly thought Strong/Holden and JP/Meola (especially as the tournament went on) did pretty decent jobs.

Now the hispanic homers duo....yeah, it would be great if they never did another game again on air.

Reactions: seminoleed
What Tampa said. And, oh, Aly Wagner makes me hurl. I especially like Holden, as he's the rare announcer who uses the proper terminology for the game, i.e., "pitch", not "field".

Yep I saw a few specials on this and it is disgusting how they are building the venues. It is the definition of slavery.

I am no fan of how Fox has broadcast this World Cup, but screw ABC/ESPN/Disney. I don't want to watch the World Cup on any of their networks.

While we're waiting with barely controllable excitement for Saturday's big game, I have a couple questions for the board.

First, a lot of you guys appear to follow European clubs much more closely than I do. Every now and then, including earlier this week, some multi-million-dollar deal is announced sending a star from one club to another, with a payment to the losing club.

Do the top-level teams in Europe never just trade players, the way most American pro leagues do?

I am no fan of how Fox has broadcast this World Cup, but screw ABC/ESPN/Disney. I don't want to watch the World Cup on any of their networks.
You're not left with much except NBC/Comcast which is just as bad, if not worse, in terms of how they conduct themselves.

Second question: announcers mentioned several times Wednesday that Croatia would be the second-smallest country to make the final, but if they said which country was the smallest, I missed it. Any of you happen to have he answer to that important question?

Second question: announcers mentioned several times Wednesday that Croatia would be the second-smallest country to make the final, but if they said which country was the smallest, I missed it. Any of you happen to have he answer to that important question?
Uruguay in 1930.

Reactions: daveynole
Soccer is much more free market. And that market has literally thousands of clubs with gigantic gulfs in size and revenues. Many smaller clubs stay afloat by selling rights to players. Trades are virtually non-existent. I think that is because agents get cuts I belief of the transfer fee.

You will often see players that go from one team to another in what would seem like a trade but usually not a straight swap and includes perhaps a reduced transfer fee.

Was thinking earlier today, why even have the 3rd place game?

Can’t imagine the teams are terribly fired up unless they’re both “Cinderella’s”.

the NCAA basketball team used to lay a consolation game a s part of the final four. I think they stopped it in the late 70a or early 80s.

Soccer is much more free market. And that market has literally thousands of clubs with gigantic gulfs in size and revenues. Many smaller clubs stay afloat by selling rights to players. Trades are virtually non-existent. I think that is because agents get cuts I belief of the transfer fee.

You will often see players that go from one team to another in what would seem like a trade but usually not a straight swap and includes perhaps a reduced transfer fee.

How does college soccer work in Europe? I kid I kid... but I would have asked this prior to 2006.

Appreciate that information, and I had also been curious about what you went on to mention about no salary or spending caps. So the rich clubs buy famous players and the poor ones hope their scouting occasionally turns up a teenager who grows into high value on the transfer market.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT