ADVERTISEMENT

The Official 2018 World Cup Thread...

RE: Fox's announcers...

Stu Holden is benign. I can take him or leave him, but he adds nothing. He's not good at it though. His colleague, John Strong, is flat out awful though. ALWAYS talking. Never shuts up. He tries to make every kick of the ball the next, "Do you believe in miracles?" call. He epitomizes what's wrong with Americans commentating on soccer. They just don't know how to do it well. They want to make the game about their commentary and not let the play on the pitch speak for itself, which it does almost all of the time.

Tony Meola is Eeyore, the donkey. He's so monotonous and plodding with his speech. Sounds like it's impossible for him to get excited about anything. Seriously dude, take a Zoloft, the world's not that bad. Can't stand him. His partner, JP Dellacamera (sp?) is ok. He doesn't bother me. He's been at it a very long time, and you know what you're going to get with him. Nothing great. But he won't be a distraction either, the way John Strong is w/Holden.

The Mexican duo need no grade. How they have a job is beyond me.

The best tandem, by far, and I'm shocked I heard so much dissent over them, is Derek Rae and Aly Wagner though. Derek Rae speaks for himself. He's awesome. But Aly Wagner, the half that I heard a lot of you complaining about, is great too. She only speaks when necessary. This is a subtle but very important point. She doesn't try to make the game about her calls...rather only comments when commenting is warranted. I think this is probably just good old fashioned case of, "I don't like a woman calling sports" b/c if you don't like her, you probably won't give any woman a shot at calling any sport. Just my personal opinion, and obviously you'll all say that's not the case...and maybe it isn't. What do I know?

Regarding other networks, and ABC/ESPN in particular...Ian Darke is the man. I wish ABC won the rights to the World Cup just to listen to him. He's fantastic. An ideal world would have a team led by Ian Darke, a team led by Derek Rae, doing the in-person matches, and then all the other no-talent schmoes back in the studio in LA doing the Egypt/Saudi Arabia-caliber matches.

I believe guys like John Champion, Arlo White, Martin Tyler, et. al..ie. all the other really good commentators, are beholden to their networks in the UK, so I don't think we'd ever get them anyway, regardless of which US network had the rights.

Soccer is much more free market. And that market has literally thousands of clubs with gigantic gulfs in size and revenues. Many smaller clubs stay afloat by selling rights to players. Trades are virtually non-existent. I think that is because agents get cuts I belief of the transfer fee.

You will often see players that go from one team to another in what would seem like a trade but usually not a straight swap and includes perhaps a reduced transfer fee.

Very good points here. As mentioned, direct swaps are very seldom completed...though Alexis & Mkhitaryan were straight swapped earlier this year between Arsenal and Manu.

From my understanding there are 2 key differences between the transfer market & the trade market here in the US.

- As mentioned, agents of soccer players make their money in the transfer market. They typically do not get a cut of the annual salary, and if they do it is small compared to what agents in the US get. So, the agents are typically trying to get their players transferred as much as possible.

- When a transfer takes place the player typically needs to agree to personal terms, or a new contract, before the transfer can be completed. Here in the US that doesn't happen and players are essentially rented to try and win a championship before they are Free Agents...see Manny Machado right now.

Reactions: seminoleed
I dont think the transfer market has any thing similar in US sport. Its crazy because according to FIFA there are something like 2000+ clubs around the world just in the top flights. Every country has their own pyramid of clubs so the number of teams and players as staggering.

Realistically though it seems to me that the absolute best talents in the world play in Europe. The English, Spanish, French, German and Italian leagues will have all your top level talent. Id imagine 95% of the top 100 players in the world play in those 5 leagues. Within those leagues maybe 4-5 teams per league are really competing for the title and Europe and the rest are fighting to either stay up or maybe domestic cup success.

Those mid to lower level teams in the big leagues along with leagues like the Dutch, Portuguese, Belgian, even Brazilian, Mexican and such look to find world class talent to sell to Europe after enjoying success with them as they prove their worth. Some leagues like MLS and China like to go after super stars on the downturn of their career but rarely have world class in their prime.

And to further complicate player recruitment many of teams have youth academies and players can play in the top divisions young. I think Rooney might have been 16 when he started in the EPL.

I dont think the transfer market has any thing similar in US sport. Its crazy because according to FIFA there are something like 2000+ clubs around the world just in the top flights. Every country has their own pyramid of clubs so the number of teams and players as staggering.

This is finally starting to get some play in the media here in the USA. I'm kind of surprised the lower socioeconomic communities haven't caught on to this and realized there's ways to professional sports (and therefore, better $) via soccer given the shear numbers across the world that would allow them to "get out", rather than the significantly lower chance via NFL/NBA/MLB. Then again, they're competing against the whole world than just the USA, so maybe the actual "chances" are roughly the same?

This is finally starting to get some play in the media here in the USA. I'm kind of surprised the lower socioeconomic communities haven't caught on to this and realized there's ways to professional sports (and therefore, better $) via soccer given the shear numbers across the world that would allow them to "get out", rather than the significantly lower chance via NFL/NBA/MLB. Then again, they're competing against the whole world than just the USA, so maybe the actual "chances" are roughly the same?

I think it’s also the “World” accepting an American player in those smaller leagues. You can make decent money in the Mexican, Brazilian and smaller Euro Leagues but they seldom want an American to play.

Reactions: fsUTampa
Agree but you need large green grass spaces and coaches that can develop talent. These are not abundant in the areas populated by Lamarcus Joyner or Dalvin Cook.

Plus there’s not yet a generation of socce greats where you’d look to a guy as your childhood idol. It may happen but the infrastructure is at least 15 years away.

To be a real elite in most any sport you have to start young and that requires a dream which requires a model of some sort.

Reactions: fsUTampa
This has been a fun World Cup and a fun thread. But I suppose all good things must come to an end...

So who is everyone predicting to win today?

I think it's France's title to lose, but Croatia, has that, "Team of Destiny" vibe about them.

I'm picking Croatia to win it 2-1...and please God, let it be in regulation. No PKs!

The perennially best kits in the world are also the World Champs this time!

Croatia-World-Cup-2018-shirt.jpg
71d02-MX1VL._SY606_.jpg

I want the better team to win and think that's France. Croatian uniforms remind me of cereal boxes from my childhood or many of the Italian restaurants I've eaten in.

Agree very much with you, Les, that this one needs to be decided without resort to PK, and ideally within the 90 minutes or so of regulation.

I think France is the better team. Of course, with the way I have ben wring throughout this tournament, there should ne one heluva party in Croatia today.
I am in the sports bok at the morage, Very nice. Lot of Croat kits, most of the crowd here seems to be pulling for them

Reactions: LesClaypool
Friend just arrived in Paris this am and said it's NUTZ! Even the famous Notre Dame Cathedral pickpocketers are taking time off to watch the match.

Reactions: noleclone2
On the handball replay it looked like a French player handballed it before the Croatian did.

POGBA!!!

I just cannot appreciate the way Croatia plays. It makes for some ugly football and is not the true way the game should be played. I hope France gets another one from Mbappe.

Reactions: NoleinATL
couple items from someone who really only watches soccer during WC or Olympics

1. Really enjoyable thread with some good insight for those that are not as knowledgeable about the game

2. This Kylian Mbappe might turn out to be a pretty good player

That 25 yard strike will work. Kid is 19, we'll have over a decade of these strikes. Love watching a team use their skill on the ball and off to advance a ball upfield without having to resort to using forearms to plow through the other team.

Reactions: daveynole
Well - enough of watching this commie sport. Back to being an American and spending my afternoon at Home Depot
This "Home Depot" sounds like a place that most of us LRers would send our house keepers to spend afternoons at.

couple items from someone who really only watches soccer during WC or Olympics

1. Really enjoyable thread with some good insight for those that are not as knowledgeable about the game

2. This Kylian Mbappe might turn out to be a pretty good player

He has potential, but may be too slow.

Reactions: NoleinATL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT