ADVERTISEMENT

The Official 2018 World Cup Thread...

Lots of hugging ...Like how they broke out the umbrellas 5 minutes after the rain started

Kolinda seems to favor the deep hug, with around the back and cradle of the neck.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
I really hope whoever the next USMNT manager takes away from this tournament that the young kids, if more talented, will always be a better play than the older veteran. Talent > "experience" at this level.

Congrats to France. They were the best team in this tournament and deserved to win.

That last goal by Croatia was so Spursy. Lloris was lucky it turned out to be a meaningless goal. Hopefully he can give up a few more like that this year while playing for sp*rs.

I wish Arsenal had been able to get Mbappe. I know Wenger tried for 2 years and failed...sigh.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Well, the U.S. "kids" just got through drawing with the World Cup winners right before the Cup started, so there's that.

Yep, and it can be argued that that US squad played this France A team just as well (if not better) than any team France faced throughout the tournament.

2022 and 2026 should be solid runs for the USMNT if managed correctly.

I surprised how well Crotia played. I didn't think they could control the midfield against France, but they did for much of the game. They were very unlucky to have given up those 2 first half goals, especially considering that the foul before the first one was an absolute dive.

Reactions: southgateNOLE
I didnt watch enough of France's games or know that much about them apart from the individuals but from what I can tell they play counter-attacking football and thus they plan on conceding possession to the other squad. In looking at match stats even in wins against Arg and Bel France had very little possession. I think this can make it seem like the other team is in control of the game.

In the stats that have meaning, goals and shots on goal, France doubled Croatia's output 4:2 and 6:3.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
POGBA!!!

I just cannot appreciate the way Croatia plays. It makes for some ugly football and is not the true way the game should be played. I hope France gets another one from Mbappe.
I’m curious about this. At least in the championship game I thought Croatia played fine - what was ugly about it? France seem to play just like the US does except they have better skill players overall and better (faster) athletes on the outside.

Reactions: southgateNOLE
I’m curious about this. At least in the championship game I thought Croatia played fine - what was ugly about it? France seem to play just like the US does except they have better skill players overall and better (faster) athletes on the outside.

Yea I’m curious about that statement as well. I enjoy the way Croatia plays. Decent defense, solid solid middle with Modric and Rakitic controlling everything and then feeding it to Mandzukic or Perisic at times. They basically dominated and besides the lack of finishing, they looked good doing it.

I agree. Croatia was largely the more attacking team pushing play. I thought they were excellent at winning balls in the midfield by suffocating the player with the ball and giving him no where to go. They were relentless in their running and seemed to be getting to most of the loose balls first, which seems amazing given the amount of minutes they had played and the fact that France had an extra day of rest.

The interesting thing is if possession style is going out of favor, we should tell US Soccer because that’s now the focus in the youth leagues all the way down to U7-U8.

The interesting thing is if possession style is going out of favor, we should tell US Soccer because that’s now the focus in the youth leagues all the way down to U7-U8.

Honestly, that should never be "our" way of playing. Teaching the U7s, et al, possession for touch skills, ok I can understand that. But the culture of the USA in general shouldn't be to play possession. We'll never hang with these power countries (much less the hacking CONCACAF teams) with that idea. Counter and out-work the opponent should always be our bread and butter.

Tactically, yes, direct is preferred for me. The issue I have had with them is the grabbing, raised forearms, leading with the knee on challenges - basically levying brute force at all opportunities.

That may be cool or "fair" to some folks, but I enjoy a well timed slide tackle or reading the game for an interception as ways to take possession away as opposed to "I'm 6' 2" 190 lbs and I'm going to push you off the ball so I can have it."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT