ADVERTISEMENT

Vaccine mandates for student athletes

Serious question for all of you; have any college athletes of any sport actually become seriously ill or died of COVID? Most of the college kids I know that have had it barely even knew they had it.

Reactions: FSU1096
Serious question for all of you; have any college athletes of any sport actually become seriously ill or died of COVID? Most of the college kids I know that have had it barely even knew they had it.
It's rare by all accounts. The ones that seem to be hit harder are the coaches and support staff who tend to be older than the players. I don't think they should be forced to quit their livelihood because young people tend to have better results.

A boots on the ground report. Hawaii takes Covid very seriously. From the time you arrive when you show your QR code proving a negative test or your vaccination, Hawaii enforces restrictions. Masking and social distancing are a must out there.

That said, it’s very safe and even in the current surge they have overall very low infection rates.

Oh, and it’s picture postcard perfect.
Book 'Em Danno!

Not sure where you live……. But in FL we can leave our house and go about our business as normal with no vax or vax card. So it wont become the norm in FL or any other state that has people with common sense running it. I already recovered from covid, so I should have enough long term immunity, and should only have about a 20% chance of catching it again…. Thats the same percentage as the vax. Funny to see how many on here are bad mouthing people when they really really have know knowledge on why people choose against it.
Have a dear friend who had Covid, but not vaccinated and got Covid again. She's now at UAB ICU for the last 23 days on a ventilator, ECMO, dialysis, and a tracheotomy. She's incoherent and each time they try to bring her out of sedation, her BP drops. I'm quite sure, if she could speak, she would have a firm message for you....... She rolled the dice as you are. "I should only have" is a very risky attitude; for you and your family members that you could leave behind. But by all means, continue to put yourself first.

Have a dear friend who had Covid, but not vaccinated and got Covid again. She's now at UAB ICU for the last 23 days on a ventilator, ECMO, dialysis, and a tracheotomy. She's incoherent and each time they try to bring her out of sedation, her BP drops. I'm quite sure, if she could speak, she would have a firm message for you....... She rolled the dice as you are. "I should only have" is a very risky attitude; for you and your family members that you could leave behind. But by all means, continue to put yourself first.
I am sorry for your friend and will pray for her. I never said its not a terrible thing or even dangerous to some. But, she is the exception and not the norm. And if all my family members are vaccinated, how is that putting my family at risk? I usually agree with most of what you say on these boards, but on this subject we will just agree to disagree and not argue. I do hope your friend recovers soon and fully.

I have no problems mandating the vaccine to student athletes once it gets full FDA approval. You are not infringing on anyone's liberty. No one has to get the shot. You just need to get the shot in order to participate in school extracurricular activities. Entirely their choice.

Reactions: WLaw and Leben
When you are forced out of your job for not being vaccinated or denied new employment from an employer because your not is that not forcing someone to take a vaccine? Is being able to make a living and support your family "having access to additional privilege's"?

How about students being able to attend college to educate themselves and provide for career opportunities in life? Is denying them access to universities not forcing the vaccine upon people? Or being able to move freely domestically or eat in a restaurant? This is not forcing people?

This is literally what occurred in the Soviet Union and East Germany. You are literally talking about the government having the right to tell people where they can do, what they can and can not do, and who can be educated vs not having the right to education.

People are increasingly being forced to have the decision to become vaccinated made for them by the government. I strongly advise everyone regardless of where you stand on this issue to study what happed behind the iron Curtin because this is largely how much of it began.
Huge stretch to make this comparison. It is the governments job to a degree to tell people what they can and cannot do. Comparing mandated vaccinations to the communists countries of old is not a reasonable comparison. You are over reaching big time. When the current government starts rounding up the unvaccinated and putting them in prison, you can make that comparison. During WWII there were far more government restrictions on what people were allowed to do then taking a shot. The communist countries you refer to denied people the ownership of private property. They routinely killed and or jailed millions of people for their political views. They did not allow participation in the government by the average person. The idea that mandated a vaccine during a Global Health crisis is somehow analogous to the regimes of the Soviet Empire is fear mongering at it worst and really unworthy of discussion. There are thousands of laws that restrict your freedoms. You cannot drive a car without insurance. You need a drivers license to drive a car. They are passing laws now that require an ID to vote. These are all restrictions on freedoms. In regards to forcing vaccines that do not yet have FDA approval - that is days away. This vaccine may not have the long history of other vaccines but it was tested on more people then any of the ones we currently use.

Huge stretch to make this comparison. It is the governments job to a degree to tell people what they can and cannot do. Comparing mandated vaccinations to the communists countries of old is not a reasonable comparison. You are over reaching big time. When the current government starts rounding up the unvaccinated and putting them in prison, you can make that comparison. During WWII there were far more government restrictions on what people were allowed to do then taking a shot. The communist countries you refer to denied people the ownership of private property. They routinely killed and or jailed millions of people for their political views. They did not allow participation in the government by the average person. The idea that mandated a vaccine during a Global Health crisis is somehow analogous to the regimes of the Soviet Empire is fear mongering at it worst and really unworthy of discussion. There are thousands of laws that restrict your freedoms. You cannot drive a car without insurance. You need a drivers license to drive a car. They are passing laws now that require an ID to vote. These are all restrictions on freedoms. In regards to forcing vaccines that do not yet have FDA approval - that is days away. This vaccine may not have the long history of other vaccines but it was tested on more people then any of the ones we currently use.
It's comical that people think their rights are being infringed upon, or that their perceived line between "freedom" and and subjugation is being crossed. Vaccine mandates are a very common thing worldwide and for very good reason. People didn't start rejecting the idea of vaccines until more recently.

I agree many are going too far with conspiracy theories however there is plenty of facts and data to work with for one to reasonably decide not to get vaccinated.

To your first point. Yes a vaccinated individual is much less likely to become seriously ill or die from the vaccine. Many are saying 95-99% less likely. The important consideration here is what is the starting point before you consider the benefits of the vaccine. If you're chances of becoming seriously ill or dying from Covid are in the 0.2-0.01% then where does reducing that an additional 95-99% really become a factor.

I have never claimed the vaccine has been killing thousands of people however there are many reports of individuals having some complications from it. If your chances of severe illness or death started at a 0.01-0.2% this is a consideration as to whether there is a benefit to take the vaccine.

Additionally while I am certainly not claiming there will be any long term complications we simply do not know it to be the case so there is a very strong case for one to consider not taking the vaccine if they fall in the demographic the majority of the country does and do not face a high risk of danger from the virus.
Do you have any practical experience with virus? Do you know anyone who has died? My sister best friend was vaccine hesitant like you. She died from Covid. I work in an organization that has 500 employees. I would guess in the neighborhood of 25 percent of them have caught the virus. I was one. Several have been hospitalized and will have life long health issues because of it. Dozens if not more got really sick. Personally I would take the shot to keep from becoming really sick. I had a very mild case. Probably not as bad as the common cold. I might take the shot to avoid that happening again. I would take the shot to avoid missing 10 days of work. I grew up in the 70s and put lots of untested things in my body. This has been extensively tested. One thing I believe is indisputable. The chance of you having a long term health issue due to Covid is exponentially higher then you having a long term health concern because of the vaccination. I am starting to believe some people are simply afraid of needles. That fear is more rational then the other reasons being given.

Last edited:
I am starting to believe some people are simply afraid of needles. That fear is more rational then the other reasons being given.
This type of problem is more ridiculous than the average phobia iyam. Some people hate what they fear and they fear what they don't understand.

Reactions: chumleynole
It's comical that people think their rights are being infringed upon, or that their perceived line between "freedom" and and subjugation is being crossed. Vaccine mandates are a very common thing worldwide and for very good reason. People didn't start rejecting the idea of vaccines until more recently.
I don't know of a school system that doesn't have vaccinations requirements. Doesn't make it right, but they are there.

Do you have any practical experience with virus? Do you know anyone who has died? My sister best friend was vaccine hesitant like you. She died from Covid. I work in an organization that has 500 employees. I would guess in the neighborhood of 25 percent of them have caught the virus. I was one. Several have been hospitalized and will have life long health issues because of it. Dozens if not more got really sick. Personally I would take the shot to keep from becoming really sick. I had a very mild case. Probably not as bad as the common cold. I might take the shot to avoid that happening again. I would take the shot to avoid missing 10 days of work. I grew up in the 70s and put lots of untested things in my body. This has been extensively tested. One thing I believe is indisputable. The chance of you having a long term health issue due to Covid is exponentially higher then you having a long term health concern because of the vaccination. I am starting to believe some people are simply afraid of needles. That fear is more rational then the other reasons being given.
I got the seasonal flu in 2000. It absolutely destroyed me. Never experienced anything like it. For that reason I get the flu shot every year. Have had nothing like it since thank God. So whenever I hear the 99.9% survival as the only pertinent variable, I shake my head.

I got the seasonal flu in 2000. It absolutely destroyed me. Never experienced anything like it. For that reason I get the flu shot every year. Have had nothing like it since thank God. So whenever I hear the 99.9% survival as the only pertinent variable, I shake my head.
Tamiflu. bloody brilliant!

I have a few jokes about unemployed people, but none of them work.

I don't know of a school system that doesn't have vaccinations requirements. Doesn't make it right, but they are there.
Yeah and what is "right" can be completely subjective. I was talking more so about rights as it applies to legal rights - political and civil.

Basically what I was trying to say was that there are plenty of US statutes which grant certain top ranking US government officials and entities the ability to take special action in order to assist during a public disaster or emergency, and that would provide liability immunity before, during and after. Special actions include countermeasures that some would say violate their civil rights, but are necessary as the government sees fit, and the DOJ interpreted that to include vaccine mandates.

I would drink bleach to keep it from happening again. I’ve heard good things about tamiflu. You have to take it early on for it to be effective, right?
yeah preferred within 48 hours of onset of symptoms but as soon as possible.

i remember back in 2003 it was a rough flu season for kids, my son (2 1/2 at the time) came down with flu and my daughter was still on chemo. she wasn't showing any symptoms but did test positive with a deep nasal aspiration. started my daughter on tamiflu and she never got a single symptom.

needless to say though i was still shitting bricks for a week.

yeah preferred within 48 hours of onset of symptoms but as soon as possible.

i remember back in 2003 it was a rough flu season for kids, my son (2 1/2 at the time) came down with flu and my daughter was still on chemo. she wasn't showing any symptoms but did test positive with a deep nasal aspiration. started my daughter on tamiflu and she never got a single symptom.

needless to say though i was still shitting bricks for a week.
I appreciate the advice. It is nice to know there might be something there if you need it.

I'm not a fan of the vaccine or the covid mandates (for a variety of reasons) but how is this different from a measles shot or any other mandated vaccine? This isn't new in schools or of the general public. Unfortunately this is going to become the norm and required for you to do anything that involves leaving your house.
Just spitballing on how it’s different than small pox, for example-small pox vaccine eliminates potential to get or transmit smallpox. The eua covid vaccines do not. So it’s not about the health of the community, but the health of the person. There’s also a question of whether the vaccine truly helps prevent community spread and forces the virus to fade, or whether the virus mutates into something more dangerous than a <1% death rate

Just spitballing on how it’s different than small pox, for example-small pox vaccine eliminates potential to get or transmit smallpox. The eua covid vaccines do not. So it’s not about the health of the community, but the health of the person. There’s also a question of whether the vaccine truly helps prevent community spread and forces the virus to fade, or whether the virus mutates into something more dangerous than a <1% death rate
COVID is much closer to influenza than it is to smallpox, polio or any other of the mass vaccination diseases it gets compared to. The annual flu vaccine is a barrier, not an eradicator and its effectiveness is entirely based on scientists best guess as to what the prevalent flu strain will be in any given season.

With anti-viral flu drugs like tamiflu, relenza, rapivab etc. available there is a second line of defense that really kicks the ass of the virus if the flu vaccine has failed or if a person is not vaccinated. Even with the effectiveness of the flu vaccine and the anti-virals, flu remains very serious for the old, very young and immune compromised.

A boots on the ground report. Hawaii takes Covid very seriously. From the time you arrive when you show your QR code proving a negative test or your vaccination, Hawaii enforces restrictions. Masking and social distancing are a must out there.

That said, it’s very safe and even in the current surge they have overall very low infection rates.

Oh, and it’s picture postcard perfect.
Wow. Show me your papers. Why is that not scary to people?

I believe the crowd pushing the idea of mutation due to the vaccine is the same crowd pushing all kinds of conspiracy and other such misinformation. I do not really think the scientific or legitimate health care community agree with that scenario. Someone posted a video of a Dr. making this claim. Interestingly 96 percent of all physicians are vaccinated. There have always been people making wild assertions. We used to call them quacks. Unfortunately today everyone gets a pulpit to preach from. Even when what they preaching is nonsense.

Reactions: WLaw
Vaccine mandates for college students have been employed for decades. It's not a big deal. At the university my son attends there is a MMR mandate. Many universities up in the northeast now have Covid vaccination mandates along with the MMR. While personally, I don't like mandates, its not like we don't have a history of them in this country. Given the current situation, I think it is acceptable.
Is their a way to opt out of the mandate, like for religious exemptions or those unable to be vaccinated? As an example, I have a cousin that has extreme allergies. She was unable to get vaccinations at all. She had so many allergies that were life threatening. The doctors were afraid to even prescribe antibiotics when she was ill for fear of an anaphylactic reaction. When she started school my aunt went in to talk with the teacher to let her know how severe this is. She asked her to please let her know if a child brought treats for a birthday and that she would gladly bring a treat for my cousin when that occurred. Well I guess this teacher didn’t believe the situation was as bad as she was told. Treats came in. No call was made and my cousin was given one. She reacted immediately and my aunt had to rush to the school. There was my cousin covered in hives from a single bite. She started getting hives as soon as she took a bite. They never did that again. Now how would schools deal with people like this? My cousin has had no vaccinations because of the risk to her life.

Anyone who chooses to avoid a vaccine should not get medical coverage from their insurance company. They can pay for Covid tests, doctors office visits, hospital beds, ICUs, and ventilators.
Well then anybody that smokes should be denied coverage as well as anybody that is obese.

Reactions: GbrNole
Is their a way to opt out of the mandate, like for religious exemptions or those unable to be vaccinated? As an example, I have a cousin that has extreme allergies. She was unable to get vaccinations at all. She had so many allergies that were life threatening. The doctors were afraid to even prescribe antibiotics when she was ill for fear of an anaphylactic reaction. When she started school my aunt went in to talk with the teacher to let her know how severe this is. She asked her to please let her know if a child brought treats for a birthday and that she would gladly bring a treat for my cousin when that occurred. Well I guess this teacher didn’t believe the situation was as bad as she was told. Treats came in. No call was made and my cousin was given one. She reacted immediately and my aunt had to rush to the school. There was my cousin covered in hives from a single bite. She started getting hives as soon as she took a bite. They never did that again. Now how would schools deal with people like this? My cousin has had no vaccinations because of the risk to her life.
No. You can't opt out unless you are broke as ****. That's it. My cousin is the same way. They have ways to administer vaccines to people who may have an allergic reaction.

Please stop acting like everything about the vaccine is a big deal. It's not.

Interesting. Why has the hospitalization number grown 5x in the last month? More people breaking arms?
One reason is the increase in RSV. It seems to me that people have not been exposed to various viruses for a year now and suddenly they are being exposed. The masking and isolation have reduced their natural immunities.

Reactions: AllNoles
One reason is the increase in RSV. It seems to me that people have not been exposed to various viruses for a year now and suddenly they are being exposed. The masking and isolation have reduced their natural immunities.
Wow I guess that's causation huh lmao

You need to start getting your information from actual news sites and not from word of mouth or social media. Talk to any Dr. . Masking and social distance has had the opposite effect on other respiratory virus. Infection from non covid virus's are way way down. They do a PCR test to verify the presence of Covid. Very accurate test. If you are going to live up to your moniker of being mom you need get more accurate info so you can make informed decisions about your kids.

Reactions: WLaw and Dhersh
It sounds like she made her choice.

Because it’s not a violation of my rights?
Literally. People don't recognize that just because they don't want to do something doesn't make it a violation of their rights. That's probably the funniest part of all this is when I see that type of comment.

Reactions: WLaw
I have no problems mandating the vaccine to student athletes once it gets full FDA approval. You are not infringing on anyone's liberty. No one has to get the shot. You just need to get the shot in order to participate in school extracurricular activities. Entirely their choice.
Except these student athletes will have their means of getting an education removed by such actions. That’s a pretty high price to pay. I would call it highly punitive financially.

Except these student athletes will have their means of getting an education removed by such actions. That’s a pretty high price to pay. I would call it highly punitive financially.
Their body, their choice.

Because it’s not a violation of my rights?
Hawaii is a state. As a state it must allow all citizens access to that state. They are not permitted to close their borders to any US citizen. I’d say it certainly is a violation of your rights. It could be against the 4th amendment if unreasonable search without a warrant.

I did not say I would take away the scholarship. I would not impose this on those that health issues or verifiable religious beliefs against vaccination. However the high price to pay might motivate people to get the vaccine. That is the point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT