ADVERTISEMENT

Vote or Die!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just odd to me that anyone would want a system that does not account for who is voting. You know, to make sure that each person only votes once. How do you police “that” if you don’t even know who is voting?
If I thought my vote could for all intents be “cancelled out” by a vote from someone who is not a citizen it would (to me) signal that the end of our Republic is near. Our vote is one of the greatest benefits as Americans and should be both an obligation and a privilege we protect.
I produce my drivers license when I visit my doctor, if I have a reason to visit my bank in person, and for many other everyday functions. It protects me (pretty well) and the other party from fraud. And at the voting precinct from someone who claims to be me stealing my vote. It’s a pretty simple concept.

If I thought my vote could for all intents be “cancelled out” by a vote from someone who is not a citizen it would (to me) signal that the end of our Republic is near. Our vote is one of the greatest benefits as Americans and should be both an obligation and a privilege we protect.
I produce my drivers license when I visit my doctor, if I have a reason to visit my bank in person, and for many other everyday functions. It protects me (pretty well) and the other party from fraud. And at the voting precinct from someone who claims to be me stealing my vote. It’s a pretty simple concept.
ID is needed to check into a hotel, to board any flight, and for many credit card transactions (among many other things). Just crazy that something as important as voting would be governed by some less secure standard.

ID is needed to check into a hotel, to board any flight, and for many credit card transactions (among many other things). Just crazy that something as important as voting would be governed by some less secure standard.
And yet people argue against it. As if to suggest those that don’t have ID are somehow incapable of doing so. Any citizen is required to have ID to do just about anything so why is it an issue? Even non citizens have ID in some cases.

Reactions: F4Gary
Just odd to me that anyone would want a system that does not account for who is voting. You know, to make sure that each person only votes once. How do you police “that” if you don’t even know who is voting?
It's equally odd to me that people want to "fix" a perceived problem that hasn't been proven to exist.

It's equally odd to me that people want to "fix" a perceived problem that hasn't been proven to exist.
The fiasco we saw in Arizona — alone — suggests to any rational person there is a “problem.” 5-7 days to count votes? In 2022? Silly to say “that” is good or normal or desirable. And I don’t care who wins or loses. That’s just flat bad.

Reactions: F4Gary
The fiasco we saw in Arizona — alone — suggests to any rational person there is a “problem.” 5-7 days to count votes? In 2022? Silly to say “that” is good or normal or desirable. And I don’t care who wins or loses. That’s just flat bad.
The only problem in Arizona is idiots who claim fraud when they lose.

Okay but what would voter ID or in person only voting have done to solve that. Florida had a record number of mail-in votes this year and still got the count done quickly because they allow the early votes to be counted as they come in.
Regardless, there was nothing done or not done in Arizona that indicated any widespread fraud.

Okay but what would voter ID or in person only voting have done to solve that. Florida had a record number of mail-in votes this year and still got the count done quickly because they allow the early votes to be counted as they come in.
Regardless, there was nothing done or not done in Arizona that indicated any widespread fraud.
Arizona had a panoply of problems that certainly included the inability/failure to authenticate mail-in ballots. Also, too many idiots (predictably) cannot follow basic instructions, which creates a separate layer of counting and authentication issues.

We will never agree on this, so get back to enjoying your Thanksgiving.

This just does not match my experience, at all. The only times that I can recall being asked to show an ID in the last several years have been when I was entering security at an airport. I have never been asked for an ID at the bank or my doctor's office. I have not been asked for an ID at any hotel or for any credit card transaction. I also have never asked for an ID, ever, from any of my patients. I tease my brother-in-law, because he literally never carries his ID, which occasionally comes up when we go to buy drinks and he gets carded. Yet, even in those circumstances, I have never seen him actually denied the ability to buy a beer.

Regardless, none of this seems pertinent to voting. For the last 4 years, my ballot arrives at my house with my name on it. That is how I know that it is mine. When that ballot is processed, I receive a text message from the registrar. If somebody, somehow, intercepted my ballot and sent it in fraudulently, then I would know instantly that something was amiss. When I voted in-person, I walked into my polling place, said "hello" to my neighbor, and gave my name and address. He looked me up on the roll and handed me my ballot, again, with my name on it. I have never had any issues with this process, and neither has anybody that I know.

Finally, I think that it is absolutely deplorable that we would require a person to show any ID, whatsoever, in order to obtain basic assistance for food, housing, or any other necessity of living.

Reactions: BelemNole
I still do not really understand why anybody cares about how long it takes to count votes. The process takes however long it takes. I much prefer that the count be accurate than quick.

This just does not match my experience, at all. The only times that I can recall being asked to show an ID in the last several years have been when I was entering security at an airport. I have never been asked for an ID at the bank or my doctor's office. I have not been asked for an ID at any hotel or for any credit card transaction. I also have never asked for an ID, ever, from any of my patients. I tease my brother-in-law, because he literally never carries his ID, which occasionally comes up when we go to buy drinks and he gets carded. Yet, even in those circumstances, I have never seen him actually denied the ability to buy a beer.

Regardless, none of this seems pertinent to voting. For the last 4 years, my ballot arrives at my house with my name on it. That is how I know that it is mine. When that ballot is processed, I receive a text message from the registrar. If somebody, somehow, intercepted my ballot and sent it in fraudulently, then I would know instantly that something was amiss. When I voted in-person, I walked into my polling place, said "hello" to my neighbor, and gave my name and address. He looked me up on the roll and handed me my ballot, again, with my name on it. I have never had any issues with this process, and neither has anybody that I know.

Finally, I think that it is absolutely deplorable that we would require a person to show any ID, whatsoever, in order to obtain basic assistance for food, housing, or any other necessity of living.
You obviously don’t travel much, or you are staying in different places. Can’t recall the last time a quality hotel DID NOT ask for my identification upon check-in.

What’s the problem? If you are who you say you are, why not show the ID?

I travel monthly and typically stay at either the Waldorf, Fairmont, or Omni; if there is one; and at a boutique hotel; if there is not. They ask for my name and then verify that I would like to use the credit card on file. That's it. Regardless, I do not see how it is relevant, at all, to voting.

"What's the problem?" is exactly my question. Voting without presenting an ID has not caused any major problems, whereas creating impediments to voting has caused significant problems for a very long time. This push for ID requirements is a solution looking for a problem that does not exist, at best, and an indirect effort to, yet again, reduce the number of people who vote and to limit their say in their governance, at worst.

Reactions: BelemNole
I travel monthly and typically stay at either the Waldorf, Fairmont, or Omni; if there is one; and at a boutique hotel; if there is not. They ask for my name and then verify that I would like to use the credit card on file. That's it. Regardless, I do not see how it is relevant, at all, to voting.

"What's the problem?" is exactly my question. Voting without presenting an ID has not caused any major problems, whereas creating impediments to voting has caused significant problems for a very long time. This push for ID requirements is a solution looking for a problem that does not exist, at best, and an indirect effort to, yet again, reduce the number of people who vote and to limit their say in their governance, at worst.
Confirming who you are is not a problem or an impediment…..unless you are a felon, fugitive or an imposter (or unless you have already voted multiple times). Just weird that folks are super-anxious to let people vote WHOM THEY CANNOT IDENTIFY…..

Arizona had a panoply of problems that certainly included the inability/failure to authenticate mail-in ballots. Also, too many idiots (predictably) cannot follow basic instructions, which creates a separate layer of counting and authentication issues.

We will never agree on this, so get back to enjoying your Thanksgiving.
Are you really claiming fraud in Arizona Mr. Lindell?

• Sad
Reactions: GeddyLee09
Confirming who you are is not a problem or an impediment…..unless you are a felon, fugitive or an imposter (or unless you have already voted multiple times). Just weird that folks are super-anxious to let people vote WHOM THEY CANNOT IDENTIFY…..
A solution searching for a problem that does not exist, which is also “just weird.”

Also, now that we have broached the subject, disenfranchising people who have been convicted of a crime is awful, and I am very pleased that my state is taking steps to allow these people to vote again.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFSNOLE
A solution searching for a problem that does not exist, which is also “just weird.”

Also, now that we have broached the subject, disenfranchising people who have been convicted of a crime is awful, and I am very pleased that my state is taking steps to allow these people to vote again.
Oh boy. 🙄

I travel weekly and almost always unless the staff knows me they check I’d. Hilton, Marriott, Lowes, Hyatt ect…

Do folks needs ID to get food stamps or WIC? How does the state verify information?

I truly hope they do not. I hope that people who need food stamps and WIC do not face any barriers, whatsoever, to getting support.

• Sad
Reactions: GeddyLee09
It’s not a barrier it’s protection from fraud. That protection helps more people get assistance. Sad that we think of verifying identity as a barrier.
^^^There are people who pay for stuff, and there are people who get (or want) stuff for free. The groups usually view things very differently, and it usually pretty easy to identify who falls in which group.

I just ordered my copy of Yankee Noodle Dandy! Thanks for sharing! :cool:

I can’t help but think- as a former high school teacher myself - that the lesson plan included a run up to the actual voting some discussion had not taken place back in the classroom preparing the students for the event. Otherwise it had little educational value.
My old baseball coach told me once that is where I started to go wrong; when I started to think... 😵‍💫
And I approve this message!
Barry Goldwater

^^^There are people who pay for stuff, and there are people who get (or want) stuff for free. The groups usually view things very differently, and it usually pretty easy to identify who falls in which group.
There are people who want rights for everyone and there are people who just want them for themselves/their group and it’s usually pretty easy to identify who falls in which group.

There are people who want rights for everyone and there are people who just want them for themselves/their group and it’s usually pretty easy to identify who falls in which group.
The stability of society requires more “givers” than “takers.” We are now at a point where the latter group outnumbers the former.

The givers want to retain their ability to prosper (and to give, at a responsible level). The takers want to keep taking, more and more. But without the givers, the whole thing collapses.

The stability of society requires more “givers” than “takers.” We are now at a point where the latter group outnumbers the former.

The givers want to retain their ability to prosper (and to give, at a responsible level). The takers want to keep taking, more and more. But without the givers, the whole thing collapses.
Maybe the problem is that the “givers” are taking too much from the “takers.” Wealth disparity is nearing levels that led the French to revolt and start lopping heads.

Maybe the problem is that the “givers” are taking too much from the “takers.” Wealth disparity is nearing levels that led the French to revolt and start lopping heads.
LOL. You can’t get blood from a turnip. The “takers” I am referring to contribute nothing or virtually nothing. No one is “taking” anything from them (or certainly nothing significant).

You're right on all accounts.
Rank (1 = Most Dependent)StateTotal ScoreState Residents’ DependencyState Government’s Dependency
1New Mexico86.5716
2Alaska84.2344
3Mississippi83.9473
4Kentucky80.7858
5West Virginia75.36212

The pivot to a discussion of "givers" and "takers" in this discussion reinforces my belief that the ID requirement and the other barriers to voting that have been discussed in this thread are, indeed, about one group, the self-identified "givers," attempting to limit the voting participation of another group that the "givers" have denigrated as the "takers."

Last edited:
The pivot to a discussion of "givers" and "takers" in this discussion reinforces my belief that the ID requirement and the other barriers to voting that been discussed in this thread are indeed about one group, the self-identified "givers," attempting to limit the voting participation of another group that the "givers" have denigrated as the "takers."
And you would be wrong.

The pivot to a discussion of "givers" and "takers" in this discussion reinforces my belief that the ID requirement and the other barriers to voting that been discussed in this thread are indeed about one group, the self-identified "givers," attempting to limit the voting participation of another group that the "givers" have denigrated as the "takers."
Lots of incorrect assumptions being made here. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT