ADVERTISEMENT

Why do women ask you to do things they can't do, then...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assure you, it is not sarcasm.

Your only experience in this world has been as a white man. I'm a Mexican man.

So your statement categorizing men in certain ways, is limited to your understanding of masculinity from the context of being a white man. Masculinity is different across cultures. Additionally, you speak of your epiphany in how you thought of and treated women - again, from your privileged white man perspective. I cannot relate to this epiphany for multiple reasons - one, i'm not a white man, two, I was poor for most of my life, and three, I didn't have those same thoughts towards women.

Certainly. My comments are primarily focused on American culture (Which is primarily white, Christian's, culture) view of men and women. How does your view differ. What can I learn?

who_let_buzz_killington_in_t_shirt-ra8b8c8f6ffca41cdbc5cc6403665d4ea_jyr6q_540.jpg

Why would you let your FIL drive the car if he abuses them? I personally don't have any issues with my FIL, but if he did this to my truck I would damn sure raise hell about it...

Believe me it was a bone of contention and I finally told my wife he doesn't drive our cars anymore PERIOD. In fairness to him though that one incident wasn't the reason the transmission failed; but it didn't help. I cant understand how a very educated man doesn't understand you don't throw your vehicle into drive when going 5 mph in reverse or wonder why all your last 3 cars (all upper end) needed a transmission rebuilt with under 100k miles

Reactions: DFSNOLE and cmanole
or...

Her, "what do you want to eat?"
me, "doesn't matter"
Her, "please just pick something"
me, "seriously, I don't care, whatever you want"
Her, "for the love of god just pick"
Me, "FINE!!!! I want "blank"
Her, "umm, can we have something else?"

Growing up, my mother was really bad about this. When my Dad and I would finally pick a place (and of course she didn't like it), she would throw a huge tantrum that would last a couple of days. As you can imagine, my childhood memories weren't the best. Fortunately, my wife is not too bad about this.

Not only do we have the restaurant debate but the teenage daughter loves to include her disdain for what ever choice is being floated around. This quickly creates a locking of horns between the wife and daughter and I just sit back and laugh, to myself quietly and out of harms way of course.

No, I think men really believe all this garbage. I did for a long, long time. Once I realized how wrong it was and started looking at my wife and our marriage in a different light, suddenly things got much better as did my relationship with female coworkers, with female friends, etc....

Women are people, with brains, and thoughts, and value just like other men and are not here simply to be sexual conquests and to provide for our needs (which is what this BS about men just needing sex and food comes from). If it's just about sex and food I can find any woman to meet those needs. Sure, sex is something that we share that she doesn't with anyone else, but it's not the primary controlling concept of our relationship, at least not any more and that's a good thing.

Yes, there are some protections that she looks for out of me as a man to provide (primarily due to my larger size and strength) but when it comes to leaning on each other for support, I need her just as much as she needs me and that doesn't make me less manly or broken.

There's this toxic idea of proper masculinity in America that leads to a great number of our problems, that men have to be strong, and powerful, devoid of emotion, and out to conquer everything including our women.

There's also this broken idea that we have sexual urges that we simply can't control and that women don't have them. That's a lie that we need to change. It would help to lessen much of the rape culture so many women have to live within. You don't have to look very far back into history to find things completely different. In the middle ages it was the women who were considered the sexually uncontrollable beings and men were the ones who felt that sex existed primarily for procreation and not pleasure. Men could go ages without it and women just seemed to never get enough, so much so that they placed chastity belts around their women because they thought they just couldn't help themselves. And when we've studied sexual responses scientifically we've found that women have physical arousal on exactly the same levels as men, but they've been conditioned to deny them. The electronics show that their body is in arousal yet they'll deny it far more often than they'll admit it.

I look forward to an America where we value women in all of our relationships, including marriage for far more than their physical and sexual attributes and also grant them the freedom to be who they are, to enjoy sex just like men, to not be shamed into thinking that being sexual is something to be denied; and for a future where men realize that we can control our sexual urges exactly the same as women. That just because we notice that a woman is beautiful, that it doesn't have to overcome all of our other rational thought. We can note it and then put it aside and listen to her thoughts, her ideas, allow her equal access to all levels of the workplace not only in actual jobs, but levels of respect as well.

An America where men don't feel they have to match up to some ridiculous cave man version of themselves and women don't feel like they have to be the dainty, quiet housewife would be a much better America for all of us.
Perfectly stated! Bravo!

Certainly. My comments are primarily focused on American culture (Which is primarily white, Christian's, culture) view of men and women. How does your view differ. What can I learn?

Wow man. I'm not sure how to take that. Are you saying that because I'm Mexican, that I don't understand American culture, even though I've lived here my entire life?

I'm not sure that you really want to learn. I could be wrong, but it seems that you're more interested in putting others down for disagreeing with your view.

Reactions: nynole1
Wow man. I'm not sure how to take that. Are you saying that because I'm Mexican, that I don't understand American culture, even though I've lived here my entire life?

I'm not sure that you really want to learn. I could be wrong, but it seems that you're more interested in putting others down for disagreeing with your view.

I didn't say that at all. You said I only view masculinity through the lens of a white man and that I can't understand how it's seen through the lens of other cultures and as a result I don't truly understand masculinity. I don't disagree with you on much of that statement. I'm asking for you to explain how you see masculinity as a Mexican American that differs from the way I may see it so that I can have a better, more diverse viewpoint.

Reactions: FSU_UCLA
I didn't say that at all. You said I only view masculinity through the lens of a white man and that I can't understand how it's seen through the lens of other cultures and as a result I don't truly understand masculinity. I don't disagree with you on much of that statement. I'm asking for you to explain how you see masculinity as a Mexican American that differs from the way I may see it so that I can have a better, more diverse viewpoint.

You're right, I did say white man - but I never said nor implied an American man. I may be Mexican, but I think of myself as American. America is not exclusively white. So if you're apologizing for that error, then I accept your apology.

Growing up in a Mexican household, one thing was clear - men are supposed to be macho. Bottom line - there is no room for buying a wuss. Based on what I've read from you so far in this thread, I don't think you'd cut it as a Mexican man. As a little boy, I was exposed to constant verbal abuse, derogatory comments, and sometimes physical abuse towards women. It was bad - real bad.

One thing was clear though, the woman in a Mexican home was the queen and she was treated like royalty. But this had to be earned and wasn't just given out. While the masculine culture was very macho, the family was very matriarchal. I've seen grown men cry in fear because of what their mother/grandmother might say or do to them. But this respect only applied to the married women.

Having said that, I don't think Latinos in general as are wimpy or sensitive as our white neighbors. The issues that are issues in America don't seem to be issues in Latin American countries. Now you may not like it or agree with it, but that's just the way it is.

I now live in a cross-cultural home. My wife is white, was born and raised in rural Eastern North Carolina. Her father belongs to the Sons of the Confederacy. He owns guns, worships in a Southern Baptist Church - he is the stereotypical Southern white man. So we're very different from each other. This has allowed me to understand both cultural's better.

Reactions: cmanole
Really interesting thoughts and conversations. I hope it doesn't get locked before I have a chance to add some thoughts.

Reactions: SKSnole
Oh yea? Who am I?

My favorite leprechaun, but I don't think the new kid on the block was asking that. He was thinking he had some insight, but, alas, he did not.Yawn.....

Last edited:

Don't hold it against him. I'm betting he's wearing on of these as he types.

il_570xN.1149206957_slqk.jpg

You're right, I did say white man - but I never said nor implied an American man. I may be Mexican, but I think of myself as American. America is not exclusively white. So if you're apologizing for that error, then I accept your apology.

Growing up in a Mexican household, one thing was clear - men are supposed to be macho. Bottom line - there is no room for buying a wuss. Based on what I've read from you so far in this thread, I don't think you'd cut it as a Mexican man. As a little boy, I was exposed to constant verbal abuse, derogatory comments, and sometimes physical abuse towards women. It was bad - real bad.

One thing was clear though, the woman in a Mexican home was the queen and she was treated like royalty. But this had to be earned and wasn't just given out. While the masculine culture was very macho, the family was very matriarchal. I've seen grown men cry in fear because of what their mother/grandmother might say or do to them. But this respect only applied to the married women.

Having said that, I don't think Latinos in general as are wimpy or sensitive as our white neighbors. The issues that are issues in America don't seem to be issues in Latin American countries. Now you may not like it or agree with it, but that's just the way it is.

I now live in a cross-cultural home. My wife is white, was born and raised in rural Eastern North Carolina. Her father belongs to the Sons of the Confederacy. He owns guns, worships in a Southern Baptist Church - he is the stereotypical Southern white man. So we're very different from each other. This has allowed me to understand both cultural's better.

As a Mexican dude to a self admitted white dude, can you explain this to me?

long-cowboy-boots.jpg

Reactions: bigloum

What I was trying to say by my white, male, American remark was that I hear many people (When referring to people from other cultures) that they just need to act right. That they need to dress properly, talk properly, treat people the way Americans should and what they're actually saying is that they need to treat people the way European Whiteness says they should. We simply assume that the white way is the normative behavior and don't realize that it's simply white culture and it's not any more right or wrong than those other cultures we defame. As a result, white people, including myself, often have very little understanding of how other cultures actually live. That isn't true of other cultures, they have to understand the primary white culture very well because you're required to live within in it and assimilate to be accepted within the business world, educational world, or government world. That is something I'll never have to live through and so I admit, I don't understand other cultures well. I'm trying to learn more and am intentionally building a lot of friendships with people who are different than me and it's been for my better in every single situation.

As for your commentary on Mexican masculinity, I think the respect for Mom in the home is extremely different from White Southern culture which I grew up in where Dad is in control at all times and I find that extremely interesting. It does seem from your description that there does however exist just as much problematic behavior towards women in general however as you spoke about a lot of abuse and derogatory comments towards women. So the question I have for you. Was there a requirement for men to be tough and powerful at all times that was culturally required and is that harmful leading men to have to be more violent, powerful, or manipulative as it often does in white culture? I'm sure there are Mexican men who fall outside of that bell curve. Do they suffer by having to be someone they're not or are they ostracized? Does much of that cultural requirement for men to be tough and strong end with women being devalued and oppressed at times?

I know it does in the culture I grew up in, maybe in different ways, but the catcalling, the assumption that we could simply touch a pretty woman and she should be ok with it, the idea that women exist to feed us and provide sex all seem extremely damaging for women to truly flourish and it also creates a culture where men feel like they all have to fit inside a box that maybe they don't naturally fit into? My assumption is that toxic masculinity (A specific strain of masculinity and certainly not existent in all men) exists across almost all cultures, religions, political ideologies, and nationalities; and that it would be a better thing if we found a more egalitarian culture.

I assure you, it is not sarcasm.

Your only experience in this world has been as a white man. I'm a Mexican man.

So your statement categorizing men in certain ways, is limited to your understanding of masculinity from the context of being a white man. Masculinity is different across cultures. Additionally, you speak of your epiphany in how you thought of and treated women - again, from your privileged white man perspective. I cannot relate to this epiphany for multiple reasons - one, i'm not a white man, two, I was poor for most of my life, and three, I didn't have those same thoughts towards women.
I hope this thread is locked.
This person seems to operate under the assumption that being born white automatically bestows "privilege",
Which means it infers the same automatic privilege on white women as well.

This makes this thread poisoned by a political POV which is insulting.

Reactions: surfnole
What I was trying to say by my white, male, American remark was that I hear many people (When referring to people from other cultures) that they just need to act right. That they need to dress properly, talk properly, treat people the way Americans should and what they're actually saying is that they need to treat people the way European Whiteness says they should. We simply assume that the white way is the normative behavior and don't realize that it's simply white culture and it's not any more right or wrong than those other cultures we defame. As a result, white people, including myself, often have very little understanding of how other cultures actually live. That isn't true of other cultures, they have to understand the primary white culture very well because you're required to live within in it and assimilate to be accepted within the business world, educational world, or government world. That is something I'll never have to live through and so I admit, I don't understand other cultures well. I'm trying to learn more and am intentionally building a lot of friendships with people who are different than me and it's been for my better in every single situation.

As for your commentary on Mexican masculinity, I think the respect for Mom in the home is extremely different from White Southern culture which I grew up in where Dad is in control at all times and I find that extremely interesting. It does seem from your description that there does however exist just as much problematic behavior towards women in general however as you spoke about a lot of abuse and derogatory comments towards women. So the question I have for you. Was there a requirement for men to be tough and powerful at all times that was culturally required and is that harmful leading men to have to be more violent, powerful, or manipulative as it often does in white culture? I'm sure there are Mexican men who fall outside of that bell curve. Do they suffer by having to be someone they're not or are they ostracized? Does much of that cultural requirement for men to be tough and strong end with women being devalued and oppressed at times?

I know it does in the culture I grew up in, maybe in different ways, but the catcalling, the assumption that we could simply touch a pretty woman and she should be ok with it, the idea that women exist to feed us and provide sex all seem extremely damaging for women to truly flourish and it also creates a culture where men feel like they all have to fit inside a box that maybe they don't naturally fit into? My assumption is that toxic masculinity (A specific strain of masculinity and certainly not existent in all men) exists across almost all cultures, religions, political ideologies, and nationalities; and that it would be a better thing if we found a more egalitarian culture.

I'm about fed up with your broad brush. And I'm an old school feminist. Sorry, but that's my womanly perspective.

Sure, there's been a lot of conditioning of women and it's not new as to how women should properly behave and they often work very hard to make certain other women fall into that category just as men do to other men; and vice versa.

Agree, but your War and Peace post seemingly suggested that men's unwillingness to share their feelings/emotions is 1.) Wrong and irrational and 2.) Men's own fault. The reality is that women aren't always cool with men sharing their feelings. If you really want to change society for the better - it's a two way street.

I hope this thread is locked.
This person seems to operate under the assumption that being born white automatically bestows "privilege",
Which means it infers the same automatic privilege on white women as well.

This makes this thread poisoned by a political POV which is insulting.

By “this person” do you mean me or the person I responded too. Because if you meant me, then you’ve extremely mistaken my position. As one who was born into a poor family of illegal immigrants, I disdain the idea of “white privilege”.

Reactions: RTM58 and goldmom
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT