ADVERTISEMENT

Without comment

This particular board has some “thorny” obstacles working against it right now.
JK is a super guy and known to most of us not just for years but decades. (Hmm is that a benefit of being old?😏)
The moderator is a very much left of center person who is not at all shy about expressing his opinions on the Iowa board and also doesn’t hold back (along with some other leftist Noles) in attacking my well known conservative viewpoints - despite the fact that I am absolutely not a “MAGA”.
The overall vibe on that board is not what I would like to see on this board. HROT ( the Iowa board nickname) seems to be a motley collection of angry liberals who find themselves surrounded in a very red state, along with some trolls/bots/operatives who are almost pre-programmed to tear into anyone not parroting their party line.
I think we still maintain a decent semblance of common respect for different voices.
And I hope we do develop good conversations about travel, food, music, history and culture. There’s lots to talk about and share.

JK is a super guy and known to most of us not just for years but decades. (Hmm is that a benefit of being old?😏)
The moderator is a very much left of center person who is not at all shy about expressing his opinions on the Iowa board and also doesn’t hold back (along with some other leftist Noles) in attacking my well known conservative viewpoints - despite the fact that I am absolutely not a “MAGA”.
The overall vibe on that board is not what I would like to see on this board. HROT ( the Iowa board nickname) seems to be a motley collection of angry liberals who find themselves surrounded in a very red state, along with some trolls/bots/operatives who are almost pre-programmed to tear into anyone not parroting their party line.
I think we still maintain a decent semblance of common respect for different voices.
And I hope we do develop good conversations about travel, food, music, history and culture. There’s lots to talk about and share.
The mod on this board, who you trashed for his comments on another board, did yeoman work with JK about starting this board back up. What do your interactions with him elsewhere have to do with interaction here?
If you wanna get past your differences, that is pretty much on you and him to work out. Otherwise, whatever.
If folks want this to be a vibrant spot, they gotta do the work.
I suspect the “thorny issues” are pretty obvious.
Who is gonna start these threads about travel, music, culture, etc…?

Reactions: BelemNole
The mod on this board, who you trashed for his comments on another board, did yeoman work with JK about starting this board back up. What do your interactions with him elsewhere have to do with interaction here?
If you wanna get past your differences, that is pretty much on you and him to work out. Otherwise, whatever.
So noting that he freely expresses his positions elsewhere is trashing him?
I think you just confirmed my point about other
Noles over there coming after me. Thanks!

So noting that he freely expresses his positions elsewhere is trashing him?
I think you just confirmed my point about other
Noles over there coming after me. Thanks!
Nah, look back at your previous post regarding DFS in which you basically suggest he is a “thorny issue” regarding the vibrancy of this board.
You sling plenty of insults on the other board and in return there is pushback.
Are we posting here, or there?

Well said^^^^

Reactions: goldmom
Gold mom didn’t trash the moderator or anyone else in her post. Y’all boys dish it out but can’t take it. LMFAO

Nah, look back at your previous post regarding DFS in which you basically suggest he is a “thorny issue” regarding the vibrancy of this board.
You sling plenty of insults on the other board and in return there is pushback.
Are we posting here, or there?
I’m the one pushing back on the stuff others start- and again your comments only prove my point. Do you not realize that?

I’m the one pushing back on the stuff others start- and again your comments only prove my point. Do you not realize that?
Ok. Dat right, uh huh.
You called DFS out on this board about issues from HORT. Take it to HORT.
You seem to want a nice atmosphere here, as others do. Why are you pushing dissent?
Let’s see some of the pleasant posts from days gone by…

Ok. Dat right, uh huh.
You called DFS out on this board about issues from HORT. Take it to HORT.
You seem to want a nice atmosphere here, as others do. Why are you pushing dissent?
Let’s see some of the pleasant posts from days gone by…
The moderator on THIS board is expressing views that are not neutral and interacting with posters on THAT board.
I’ve met him before and have interacted with him for more than a few years, and I’ve known JK since the 80’s. I have nothing personal at all
Against DFS and I’m a big JK fan.
If you feel I’m “pushing dissent” 🙄 look for my participation in the climate change discussion. You won’t find it. I avoided the thread. I’ve avoided others as well.
I started a thread about upcoming trips posters might be taking.
If you find me unpleasant put me on ignore.

The moderator on THIS board is expressing views that are not neutral and interacting with posters on THAT board.
I’ve met him before and have interacted with him for more than a few years, and I’ve known JK since the 80’s. I have nothing personal at all
If you feel I’m “pushing dissent” 🙄 look for my participation in the climate change discussion. You won’t find it. I avoided the thread. I’ve avoided others as well.
You are welcome to stop reacting to my comments.
You seem to carry a grudge from HORT into this space.

Last edited:
Well… I’m a Warchant origin poster and didn’t move when the rivals switch happened. The low traffic started when the “locker room” went from free to paid. Also, the banning of politics basically killed it. Tough moderation issue as the board got more and more politically split, those topics dominated and were off putting, sparking lots of complaints. It was easier to shut it down.

I also think that online discourse has gotten more hostile over the years. Probably a reflection of a greater disparity nationally in political views and central actions relative to that (eg, perceived asymmetric law enforcement for politically motivated misbehavior). The shift in tone reflects the national vibe and a collective manifestation of, essentially, splitting.

You can see this on the Iowa board, for example, which has more traffic and many ex warchant posters. The tone is markedly hostile. There’s just more of it. Logical fallacies are also a dominant problem (not just at the Iowa board). And, you’ve got a lot of people arguing at strawmen. They can’t accurately represent the argument that they’re arguing against. Hostility + poor critical reasoning skills = contempt. Though, I suppose there’s an equifinality to contempt.

For example, one of our posters started this thread. https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/why-is-america-so-divided.443774/

Look at the responses. That’s much worse than anything going on tone wise here.
Wow Iowa board. I followed your link. Went on for the first time yikes. I didn’t realize this was free at one time. Didn’t really venture on this everything but sports/locker room board until after it changed to the Osceola.

This board and its social justice warriors are hilarious; to say I LMFAO is an understatement. Lately I’ve been showing these threads to some friends and they bust out laughing…. The “bet” was an instant classic. This board alone is worth the cost of membership.

Reactions: goldmom
When Jerry and crew took over this site, many asked about the Locker Room and how it could be revitalized. The start of that process begins today with the removal of the premium tag. Yes, it is a free board again!
Long-time posters remember the glory years when that board was a respite from the seriousness of the sports boards. It is now our job to bring that fun back on the renamed Everything But Sports board.
As with every board on The Osceola, the heavy-handed moderating will no longer be present but we expect civility between the posters. Discuss current events. Start a thread about something silly. Talk about food and travel. Most importantly, have fun! Try to get the joke. Don't be thin-skinned. Laugh!
Thanks, Jerry for taking this step.

Toggle signature
Chief_Osceola_Renegade.jpg

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." George Carlin

2022 PGSF FedEx Cup Champion
Reactions:You, BrianNole777, TallyNole93 and 4 others

This is a pinned thread at the top of this board. Almost all of the old school folks who cheered for the resurrection have moved on.
Hmmm

Since the subject has been brought up here I would like to clear up a few things.

1. When Jerry and I first met before we officially took over the site, we discussed all of the forums and the Locker Room in detail. I wanted to resurrect the "Locker Room" however our primary objective was to make this a "family friendly" site. Knowing the potential direction threads could go created a dilemma for us as a "free site" that allows anyone regardless of age or sex access to our content. The other option was to make it a premium forum and I felt strongly it was in our best interests for the LR to be free. We finally agreed to include it in our forums as a free site with a few minor limitations.

2. We also decided that those limits would control the content, language and images that would be available in this forum (and to the general public). I knew political posts and topics would lead nowhere and only create situations that we would have to deal with. And after twenty years moderating TOS I was very firm that we did not want to have a similar reputation of extreme moderation. I also knew that we could not allow posters to freely insult each other as our primary goal was to have a family friendly site. Which is why today pretty much anything other than politics, vulgarity, NSFW images and insulting each other is allowed.

3. I knew that DFS was the person we wanted to moderate this site since he had history with the forums and many of it's members. I also knew our rule that moderators should avoid active participation would not apply to this forum or DFS. DFS has done a great job in my opinion moderating this site and yes he does have his own opinion, and he does express them, but I still feel that he is an asset to this forum.

I know that not everyone agrees with all of our decisions, but I assure you Jerry and I meet and discuss any potential changes in great detail before any changes are made to insure, we are making the best possible decision we can for all of our members.

I’m in favor of developing a list of potential topics that don’t touch on politics.
I’ve remained on this site because I very much want Jerry to succeed and because I frankly disliked the previous LR Mod - and I have lots of compadres in that regard.

Last edited:
Because ANYONE that watches that should be pro-nuclear, but that's from 2017 and not only have few people seen it, but many of those that have still argue against nuclear
Ah yes. That makes sense. It is quite frustrating. We end up with positions boiled down to EVs, carbon credits, and messages against consumption. Guns, proverbially, directed at the head of Western economies whilst this solution, which we’ve been able to implement for decades, sits underutilized.

I think I read somewhere that ~39% of the American power grid is fueled by nuclear, which is amongst the highest in the world. But, the infrastructure for that, namely the nuclear power plants, are reaching the end of their intended functional time frame.

I’m ok with dfs pushing views that aren’t neutral. I just don’t like that being coupled with moderator action. Meaning, express the views but don’t implement moderator actions based on said views. Brainvision, who I understand to be much further to the left than dfs, participated, expressed his views, but did not appear to moderate based on those views, much. Madcow was probably the most effective neutral actor. Though, that’s hard to say. I’m sure it isn’t easy to moderate and it’s a thankless role.

I think dfs can do a good job.

You can't pretend to be objective when it's obvious that you're not. Kind of loses its punch at that point. Would be no different if you or I tried being a moderator. Everyone already knows what our views are.

I’m ok with dfs pushing views that aren’t neutral. I just don’t like that being coupled with moderator action. Meaning, express the views but don’t implement moderator actions based on said views. Brainvision, who I understand to be much further to the left than dfs, participated, expressed his views, but did not appear to moderate based on those views, much. Madcow was probably the most effective neutral actor. Though, that’s hard to say. I’m sure it isn’t easy to moderate and it’s a thankless role.

I think dfs can do a good job.
Agreed. If your lft of center just say so and moderate accordingly. There is nothing wrong with having views that are one way or another. The trick is enforcing in an objective manner. I think he does a good job in most cases except the thread zapping. That seems to have a tinge of slant to it but I'm likely seeing it through a single lens as well.

Ah yes. That makes sense. It is quite frustrating. We end up with positions boiled down to EVs, carbon credits, and messages against consumption. Guns, proverbially, directed at the head of Western economies whilst this solution, which we’ve been able to implement for decades, sits underutilized.

I think I read somewhere that ~39% of the American power grid is fueled by nuclear, which is amongst the highest in the world. But, the infrastructure for that, namely the nuclear power plants, are reaching the end of their intended functional time frame.

In 2022 Nuclear only accounted for 8% of US consumption. All nuclear goes to the electric grid which makes up about 21% according to this article.

Reactions: Banditking
Well… I’m a Warchant origin poster and didn’t move when the rivals switch happened. The low traffic started when the “locker room” went from free to paid. Also, the banning of politics basically killed it. Tough moderation issue as the board got more and more politically split, those topics dominated and were off putting, sparking lots of complaints. It was easier to shut it down.

I also think that online discourse has gotten more hostile over the years. Probably a reflection of a greater disparity nationally in political views and central actions relative to that (eg, perceived asymmetric law enforcement for politically motivated misbehavior). The shift in tone reflects the national vibe and a collective manifestation of, essentially, splitting.

You can see this on the Iowa board, for example, which has more traffic and many ex warchant posters. The tone is markedly hostile. There’s just more of it. Logical fallacies are also a dominant problem (not just at the Iowa board). And, you’ve got a lot of people arguing at strawmen. They can’t accurately represent the argument that they’re arguing against. Hostility + poor critical reasoning skills = contempt. Though, I suppose there’s an equifinality to contempt.

For example, one of our posters started this thread. https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/why-is-america-so-divided.443774/

Look at the responses. That’s much worse than anything going on tone wise here.
Alot of "size" issues on that board it seems or kids.

In 2022 Nuclear only accounted for 8% of US consumption. All nuclear goes to the electric grid which makes up about 21% according to this article.
39 is natural gas apparently. Memory failure. Looks like nationally nuke is 18.

Agreed. If your lft of center just say so and moderate accordingly. There is nothing wrong with having views that are one way or another. The trick is enforcing in an objective manner. I think he does a good job in most cases except the thread zapping. That seems to have a tinge of slant to it but I'm likely seeing it through a single lens as well.
I think where it seems most problematic is in the perception of condescension and insult. I know that several of the lefter posters here see me as hostile and condescending. I am guilty of playing that up on occasion, even overtly specifically because I know some clump everyone right of current progressive left with maga and see those people as uneducated rubes. But generally, I see my responses toward them as reactive. Perhaps, historically, the most condescending poster here is BrainVision. That’s not a knock, just an observation. He is a good poster, intelligent, has interesting views, and can articulate an argument. i perceive because he has a long history here and shares some viewpoints with dfs, the moderation biases that way.

Y
I think where it seems most problematic is in the perception of condescension and insult. I know that several of the lefter posters here see me as hostile and condescending. I am guilty of playing that up on occasion, even overtly specifically because I know some clump everyone right of current progressive left with maga and see those people as uneducated rubes. But generally, I see my responses toward them as reactive. Perhaps, historically, the most condescending poster here is BrainVision. That’s not a knock, just an observation. He is a good poster, intelligent, has interesting views, and can articulate an argument. i perceive because he has a long history here and shares some viewpoints with dfs, the moderation biases that way.
You're right about BV, especially this part: Perhaps, historically, the most condescending poster here is BrainVision. He has toned that down as time goes on, or so I'm told. I keep him on ignore and that alleviates any contact that would piss me off.

I see this in personal interactions as well but not as bad. People tend to be less hostile and condescending when in person but not always. Generally, people tend to think if you see things right of progressive you must not understand the material. I have a coworker that says "let me explain it to you" when someone disagrees. The truth is everyone understands just fine they just don't agree. The part that escapes everyone is that its ok to disagree with people. I assume most on here have Graduate or Doctorate level educations but with that said there is never a reason to question or otherwise try to downgrade someone's intellect or education. However, if you do or say something that's obviously stupid, I would expect to have it called out and have thick enough skin to accept that.

I see this in personal interactions as well but not as bad. People tend to be less hostile and condescending when in person but not always. Generally, people tend to think if you see things right of progressive you must not understand the material. I have a coworker that says "let me explain it to you" when someone disagrees. The truth is everyone understands just fine they just don't agree. The part that escapes everyone is that its ok to disagree with people. I assume most on here have Graduate or Doctorate level educations but with that said there is never a reason to question or otherwise try to downgrade someone's intellect or education. However, if you do or say something that's obviously stupid, I would expect to have it called out and have thick enough skin to accept that.
Yes. I think with echo chambers being what they are, what I most encounter are progressives who basically believe their positions are objective reality. Thus, the position is that you must not understand if you deviate. I’ve had people say to me, as a matter of fact, for example, that “the Chicago school really f’d everything up.” The Chicago school being a reference to the time period of Milton Friedman/group of economists at uc (though, I’m sure you know that). The biggest proof to them being the 2008 crash. But, I digress. There seems to be a blindness/blurring of that which is political speech and what is reality. That’s most pronounced, for example, on college campuses with the modern, 4th/5th way feminist influenced dei. I think that many legitimately do not understand that they’re instantiating a political viewpoint as policy. Of course, many of them do understand that and see it as a feature, not a bug.

Last edited:
Yes. I think with echo chambers being what they are, what I most encounter are progressives who basically believe their positions are objective reality. Thus, the position is that you must not understand if you deviate. I’ve had people say to me, as a matter of fact, for example, that “the Chicago school really f’d everything up.” The Chicago school being a reference to the time period of Milton Friedman/group of economists at uc (though, I’m sure you know that). The biggest proof to them being the 2008 crash. But, I digress. There seems to be a blindness/blurring of that which is political speech and what is reality. That’s most pronounced, for example, on college campuses with the modern, 4th/5th way feminist influenced dei. I think that many legitimately do not understand that they’re instantiating a political viewpoint as policy. Of course, many of them do understand that and see it as a feature, not a bug.
I think that many legitimately do not understand that they’re instantiating a political viewpoint as policy. Of course, many of them do understand that and see it as a feature, not a bug.

This

I think that many legitimately do not understand that they’re instantiating a political viewpoint as policy. Of course, many of them do understand that and see it as a feature, not a bug.

This
Yes. It’s the contingent that believe Biden’s “white supremacy is the biggest threat to the nation” rhetoric. That the US is the greatest purveyor of evil in the world. That capitalism is bad and that success is given, not earned.

Perhaps, historically, the most condescending poster here is BrainVision.

Perhaps, historically, the most condescending poster here is BrainVision.
^^^^This.
Yet, What is pure comedy is when those same people complain or are insulted about other's sarcasm and condescension.. yet themselves are sarcastic, smug and condescending on a regular basis..

Another issue is that disagreeing with people now becomes an insult. What defines an insult? the social justice warriors take it as an insult if you contradict their views or point out something irrational. For example, one dude was worried about COVID but admitted to having a regular diet of fast food, and other foods high in sodium, cholestoral, and sugar content. When pointed out that the diet was a far more greater health concern statistically than covid, it was taken as insult and "weaponizing" the conversation.

LMFAO: an AK variant is a weapon, a post on message board is not.
You can't make this up. Showed my wife that one on diet/covid, she laughed for days...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT