ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Softball

It's about time we hear about players coming to FSU!
Give me Kilfoyl and Goodnight from Alabama.
Kilfoyl raises the level of our 2nd pitcher. (she has one year)
Goodnight will be a true sophmore. She's a fleet-footed CFer who batted .302 and was 18/20 on SBs.
Give me a stud 3B.

I don’t believe FSU is in the running for Kilfoyl. Looks like her visits are UCF, UGA, Arizona, Oklahoma State, and Arkansas.
Please surprise me Lonni and get aggressive with a really good pitcher. Let's not do anymore projects.
Are we in the running for Goodnight? She's a stud who would solve our defensive and offensive deficits in CF!

Last edited:
Please surprise me Lonni and get aggressive with a really good pitcher. Let's not do anymore projects.
Are we in the running for Goodnight? She's a stud who would solve our defensive and offensive deficits in CF!
As always I will wait and see what turns out. Coacha does not seem to be an aggressive portal person (maybe because she spends more time on personality and fit than others) . Even last year I was scratching my head by the result but Leonard turned out to help a lot ( I had not much in the way of expectations for her). Many of us see what are our obvious needs but I am positive that Coacha has a plan (just maybe not what we are expecting). The portal is critical this year for at least 2 obvious reasons. I also look forward to September 1 of Junior year and November 9 (NSD) -- these will be very telling. Our next class (2023) looks really good with some very good pitching and some bombers. 2024 class will be decided when we can start offering (September 1). Our future will be decided in the next few months. In the meantime we need to fill some holes-- we will see.

Per TOS, FSU is not actively pursuing specific transfers. They sought Storako and Torres, but both chose OU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per TOS, FSU is not actively pursuing specific transfers. They sought Storako and Torres, but both chose OU.
I’m confused. If they aren’t pursuing specific transfers, how did they pursue Storako and Torres?

If true, I’m glad to see Coacha pursued a quality pitcher, as well as a top infielder for the left side. At least we get a hint for what she is thinking. Sounds like we are on the same page except in cf. Come on Lonnie, freshen up your closing skills and us bring home some non-projects (preferably three of them).

PS - I haven’t seen any news on this but have they announced if Kaleigh Rafter will be back. I felt she was an important piece of last year’s team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FletchCC
I’m confused. If they aren’t pursuing specific transfers, how did they pursue Storako and Torres?

If true, I’m glad to see Coacha pursued a quality pitcher, as well as a top infielder for the left side. At least we get a hint for what she is thinking. Sounds like we are on the same page except in cf. Come on Lonnie, freshen up your closing skills and us bring home some non-projects (preferably three of them).

PS - I haven’t seen any news on this but have they announced if Kaleigh Rafter will be back. I felt she was an important piece of last year’s team.
I meant after those two, they are not eyeing any specific names. The challenge with Storako and Torres is they made OU their first visits and didn’t make it anywhere else before committing.

I meant after those two, they are not eyeing any specific names. The challenge with Storako and Torres is they made OU their first visits and didn’t make it anywhere else before committing.
Thanks! I understand their thinking. Hopefully OU is full now - and Coacha hasn’t lost her enthusiasm for the portal.

Let's compare stats for Dallis Goodnight and Jahni Kerr and tell me should we pursuing her.
BTW DG was a true Fr and JK was a RS Fr.
JK batted .261, 180 ABs 5 HRs, 35 RBIs, 35 SOs, 10 BBs, 4/6 on SB, 981 Fielding % with 1 error here's my problem, she made no outstanding plays and several plays that weren't ruled as errors were plays that a really good CFer makes.
DG ,396 ba, 136 ABs, 1 HR 8 RBIs (leadoff) 22 SOs, 11 BBs,, 18/20 SBs .952 Fielding % with 2 errors.
To me, this is a slam dunk!
What say you?

Reactions: FletchCC and cnole1
Let's compare stats for Dallis Goodnight and Jahni Kerr and tell me should we pursuing her.
BTW DG was a true Fr and JK was a RS Fr.
JK batted .261, 180 ABs 5 HRs, 35 RBIs, 35 SOs, 10 BBs, 4/6 on SB, 981 Fielding % with 1 error here's my problem, she made no outstanding plays and several plays that weren't ruled as errors were plays that a really good CFer makes.
DG ,396 ba, 136 ABs, 1 HR 8 RBIs (leadoff) 22 SOs, 11 BBs,, 18/20 SBs .952 Fielding % with 2 errors.
To me, this is a slam dunk!
What say you?
Our most critical needs are obvious. 1 and 2 are critical in my mind 3 would be gravy- I concur with your insight above but I would prefer we start at the top and solve it first- without solving that we will be greatly diminished unless we have a real breakout from someone currently in the lineup or an incoming freshman (both of the incoming freshmen had stellar years in HS but as you know Coacha likes to red shirt pitchers)-- With Danley coming in 2023 that may not be as indicated as usual . Just my 2 cents.
  1. We need a lock down pitcher
  2. We need to have a top offensive and defensive solution to 3rd
  3. We could use some CF help (both offensive and defensive )

Kerr was a freshman coming off an acl so I am not ready to give up on her. I know in our society today patience is not the norm but give her some time. I have seen when a player has a bad year and turns it around the next year and I think Kerr is talented and will get better.

Reactions: Buck-I-Nole
Kerr was a freshman coming off an acl so I am not ready to give up on her. I know in our society today patience is not the norm but give her some time. I have seen when a player has a bad year and turns it around the next year and I think Kerr is talented and will get better.
Taking a transfer is not GIVING UP ON KERR! She still has the ability to compete for and win the position in a real competition.
Positions on our softball team are not legacy rights, at least they should not be. They are earned in competitive battles during off season, fall and into the spring.
Bring in Dallis Goodnight and let the best woman win.
Softball is or should be about competition. Life is the same!
Having these women compete for positions better prepares them for life!

Reactions: ParooKid and cnole1
Does anyone know if NIL plays a role in high school softball recruiting as it must certainly play a role in the transfer?

She has superior speed! I didn't watch all of Bama's games, but I did watch almost all of FSU's games.
JK was a subpar defensive CFer! She got poor jumps, took bad angles to the balls. She did not play the wall very well in either catching the ball at the wall or playing the ball off the wall! She has a subpar arm and hesitates at times in where to throw the ball.
DG was a top 5 national player in HS who Alabama dearly wanted to keep.
I'm all for bringing her in and letting her compete.
I do know she has a better BA as a true Fr. I know she has a better command of the strike zone. She strikes out less and walks more.
Bring her in and if JK beats her out, then she is a great depth piece.

Its not hitting (although we could do better in my mind) that is the issue. Its her speed/movement and ability to make big catches . Her leg --after her injury -- (especially with the brace) is just is not what it was and might never be. Most of us see this and think she might help elsewhere and maybe the bat will come back but we just can't continue to put someone out there with her limited mobility. JMHO

She has superior speed! I didn't watch all of Bama's games, but I did watch almost all of FSU's games.
JK was a subpar defensive CFer! She got poor jumps, took bad angles to the balls. She did not play the wall very well in either catching the ball at the wall or playing the ball off the wall! She has a subpar arm and hesitates at times in where to throw the ball.
DG was a top 5 national player in HS who Alabama dearly wanted to keep.
I'm all for bringing her in and letting her compete.
I do know she has a better BA as a true Fr. I know she has a better command of the strike zone. She strikes out less and walks more.
Bring her in and if JK beats her out, then she is a great depth piece.
Concur

If Dallis Goodnight walks or gets a single, it frequently turns into a double. FSU needs to
take advantage of every scoring opportunity there is. DK has great potential in that area!

In most cases after an acl its the 2nd season after the injury is when you see full recovery.

In most cases after an acl its the 2nd season after the injury is when you see full recovery.
Let her compete!
Should we be afraid to recruit (freshmen or portal transfers) great players because we are afraid they may displace a current player?

Competition makes great teams so I agree. Im just stating Kerr had an injury and usually it takes a couple of years to recover not only physically but mentally. It just seemed to me you were not giving her a chance to show her true potential. I guess I was interpreting things wrong.

Reactions: Tom81
Competition makes great teams so I agree. Im just stating Kerr had an injury and usually it takes a couple of years to recover not only physically but mentally. It just seemed to me you were not giving her a chance to show her true potential. I guess I was interpreting things wrong.
My opinion is she did not have great defensive skills (speed/lateral movement/forward and back aggressive movement) before the injury. Now she seems a big defensive liability. Maybe the bat will improve (with that brace that is no sure thing) but I think we need some better skills (Morgan comes to mind) now not later . Based on speed and lateral movement I would have at least tried Ross there to see if she could help defensively. JMHO

Last edited:
Reactions: cnole1
I have no idea of what she knows or doesn't know. I don't know if Lonni would even consider her.
Players know other players through their contacts during their youth years. Their parents and HS coaches also
know players and programs and what is happening.
It was not a mystery that JK struggled both in the field and at the plate mightily. I suspect a top 5 national recruit with year one success might have the confidence to compete, especially if she knows of the positive culture at FSU.
Obviously, the culture at Bama is problematic, or they would not have lost so many key players!

Let her compete!
Should we be afraid to recruit (freshmen or portal transfers) great players because we are afraid they may displace a current player?
I sure hope not. No one on board last season stepped up to grab that spot. Belviy, Wacaser, Riggs; all outfielders. I am all for bringing Goodnight in if she wants a shot at FSU. It might benefit Kerr to not have to be the go to in CF. Give her the chance to fully recover at her own pace.

Last edited:
Reactions: ranger43
Goodnight is headed to Georgia according to Extra inning softball

Goodnight is headed to Georgia according to Extra inning softball
Is it written somewhere that, as a consistent Top 10 Team, we only take “projects” from the portal? It would be nice to see a legit D1 star transfer in that everyone (Oklahoma included) would love to have. I realize there are backstories on many of the stars as to why they picked the school they did (from the area etc). It would be nice to hear backstories on why FSU doesn’t get picked. I’ve never seen a top school miss out on so many.

What evidence do you have the Goodnight is a superior defender or has more potential to be? Your stats don’t clearly show that. Did she have more poutouts or assists, something that demonstrates her arm or range?

Living in Alabama,I have had the opportunity to view about 40% of their games. Conversely, I watched about 90% of the Nole games. Believe me, Goodnight has it all over Kerr from a defensive perspective. She can really go get the softball and catch it.

The big difference is balls that Kerr could not get to, or balls she got to and didn't catch, that were ruled hits when in actuality they were not. This is in no way an indictment of Kerr. She is what she is and I'm fairly happy with that. But, as an everyday player, I'll take Goodnight all day, every day.

J Kerr showed remarkable improvement over all in her game as the season went on. She has a place on this team, for sure. It's just that Goodnight is a terrific player with great potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: ranger43
Is it written somewhere that, as a consistent Top 10 Team, we only take “projects” from the portal? It would be nice to see a legit D1 star transfer in that everyone (Oklahoma included) would love to have. I realize there are backstories on many of the stars as to why they picked the school they did (from the area etc). It would be nice to hear backstories on why FSU doesn’t get picked. I’ve never seen a top school miss out on so many.
It is befuddling. Some of this may be attributed to culture (many of our recruits are good fits because they were recruited to the family like atmosphere--). In the portal world it is all about the "ME". We might not be the best program for the ME's.
That being said I do attribute some of this to failure to identify and go after solutions to existing needs. We just don't seem to get there first with a good plan to close the deal JMHO

Reactions: FletchCC and Tom81
The biggest get IMO from the portal was Kylee Jo Hanson. The reason was she was recruited to FSU originally and chose to go where she wouldn't redshirt. Hmmmm?
Mack Leonard as a hitter is our 2nd best portal get IMO.
The Broderick girl, a catcher from ?BYU? was a good get.
Some of the others have worked out OK, but none were studs that were wanted by everyone.
Coacha is just not very aggressive in the transfer portal!
Unless Autumn Belviy or Amaya Ross can step up and take CF, it will continue to be weakness IMO.
3B will be a huge drop off offensively and probably defensively.
Oh well, at least she's loyal to current players. (sarcasm emoji)

The biggest get IMO from the portal was Kylee Jo Hanson. The reason was she was recruited to FSU originally and chose to go where she wouldn't redshirt. Hmmmm?
Some of the others have worked out OK, but none were studs that were wanted by everyone.
Unless Autumn Belviy or Amaya Ross can step up and take CF, it will continue to be weakness IMO.
Two questions… Does the NIL play a big part in the portal transfers? Has the NIL evolved to where it’s a primary factor in high school recruitment?

Two questions… Does the NIL play a big part in the portal transfers? Has the NIL evolved to where it’s a primary factor in high school recruitment?
Not this years incoming class but future classes (after 2023 which is loaded with Danley, Bueno, Harp and Beachum-all top 50 players with Danley and Bueno being top 5-10-- assuming they stick)- they (the 2024's) are the ones which will be offered come 9-1 and can commit when ever they want but will not be signed until November 2023 so they may be the ones who will look for whatever the best fit and inducements are available. JMHO

I guess I was more specifically speaking not of traditional transfers where a player had to sit out a year first before playing, but those that came by way of the recent "transfer portal" that only started in October of 2018. Mack is an example of someone plucked from the portal, as was Keen. DuBois transferred in but sat out the year. Watson and Arnold transferred in and both sat out a year before playing so I am not exactly sure if they were "portal" signees. So Mack (not a star but a nice addition to the team) and Keen are the only clear cut portal takes as far as I can see (but I might be wrong). Operating on that theory, back to my question of why is our Top 5 team not doing any better with all the players in the portal?

I guess I was more specifically speaking not of traditional transfers where a player had to sit out a year first before playing, but those that came by way of the recent "transfer portal" that only started in October of 2018. Mack is an example of someone plucked from the portal, as was Keen. DuBois transferred in but sat out the year. Watson and Arnold transferred in and both sat out a year before playing so I am not exactly sure if they were "portal" signees. So Mack (not a star but a nice addition to the team) and Keen are the only clear cut portal takes as far as I can see (but I might be wrong). Operating on that theory, back to my question of why is our Top 5 team not doing any better with all the players in the portal?
See comment above. Not sure we are that aggressive (for whatever reason). I thought I saw that Coacha and Rafter are in Canada possibly doing Canadian Nation team stuff . NOW is the time all these portal players are making the move.

You guys never consider that Coacha has just 12 total scholarships to work with, few players get full rides, and upper class women typically see more money — that ratio year by year is typically defined going in and coaches are hesitant to take promised money away.

Transfers are going to go the places that also offer them a fair proportion of scholarship money, especially if from out of state, and FSU has fewer holes (save for OU) than most/all schools, despite what some her say.

You guys never consider that Coacha has just 12 total scholarships to work with, few players get full rides, and upper class women typically see more money — that ratio year by year is typically defined going in and coaches are hesitant to take promised money away.

Transfers are going to go the places that also offer them a fair proportion of scholarship money, especially if from out of state, and FSU has fewer holes (save for OU) than most/all schools, despite what some her say.
Agree with this. Oklahoma lost a ton. We essentially lost our all-world everything 3rd baseman and our #2 starter. Not a lot of holes to fill. A giant hole but could easily be remedied with what is already on the roster with a few moves and some offseason improvement. I’m preparing for Kat to make a senior year statement like King did her jr year. Saw she is already pitching somewhere out west for summer. I think this team will show up much more prepared next year. Hate to say but a home regional loss might just propel us.

Reactions: Buck-I-Nole
Does anyone have a list of where our players are playing this summer? Returnee's I mean.

Just renewed my booster pledge and gave extra to the softball/coaches club. C'mon everyone give a little, or a lot, to the ladies. They can use it.:)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT