ADVERTISEMENT

Xbox vs Playstation

mjpwooo

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Tampa, FL
Need some help with this..... Mjpwooo, Jr wants one of these things. Which one is better? I do not know Jack squat about either, so this is my first place to start research.

Make Junior decide.

You have to pay to play online for either one now.

As stated by @BelemNole, if his friends are all on one console, then go for that one.

The other decided factor would be the exclusive release titles. If your son is into Japanese RPGs then PS4, but since he's likely just wanting to pwn noobs in some shooting game then XBOX is probably better.

Reactions: mjpwooo
As Belem mentioned you might want to ask him which one his friends are playing as one of the big aspects is being able to get online with his friends and play

My son got one of these the past year. He paid for most of it himself, so I think he went with XBox because it was cheaper used. He had friends on both systems. I have no interaction with the thing, but I think only the Xbox has EA Access which gives him a bunch of games, especially the sports games, for $5/mo. That seams like a hell of a deal given how expensive games are.

Whichever one is friends are playing on. Seriously. They're not that much different, ask him what his friends have and get him that one so he can play with them as there is no cross-platform play still.
Belen is right.

I've always had Playatations, because that's what my buddies have. There may be some differences, but probably not enough to overcome not being able to play online with his friends.

The answer is quite simple. Nintendo Switch or nothing, right @FSUTribe76 ?

Yeah, I’ve got all three (XBone S, PS4 and Switch) and I honestly like the Switch best of all. It’s got a ton of great games especially considering it’s still in year one and a lot of the best are first party or console specific (Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom, Fast RMX, Xenoblade Chronicles, Splatoon 2, Arms, etc...).

The XBone and PS4 are essentially the same and most of the bigger games that are on one are equally as good on the other. There are some first party and console specific games though which is why I would say between the XBone and the PS4 I’d suggest the PS4. The XBone exclusives are good games but they don’t have very many and aren’t mindblowingly good, meanwhile the PS4 has some of the best games NOT on the Switch as Exclusives.

I’m not listing them all out but here are the big XBox Versus PS4 exclusives.

XBox:
Forza Motorsports
Quantum Break
Cuphead
Ori and the Blind Forest
Halo
Titanfall
Ryse
Dead Rising

And honestly that’s about it, there’s a couple more but nothing exciting. Meanwhile there’s way more PS4 exclusives but I’ll give you some of the best

PS4:
Bloodborne
Danganronpa
Gravity Rush
Horizon: Zero Dawn (maybe the third best game after Zelda and Mario Odyssey)
Infamous
Killzone
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us
Little Big Planet
Nioh
Nobunaga’a Ambition
Persona 5 (probably the best JRPG in a long while, although Xenoblade Chronicles 2 might beat it, I haven’t played it yet)
Ratchet and Clank
Resogun
Sword Art Online
Tearaway
Tropico 5
The Order 1866
The Uncharted series (the best “cinematic” games out there and definitely in my top 5 series)
Until Dawn

There are Plenty more, but that’s a good enough heads up that the PS4 has substantially more exclusives. I like a couple of the XBox Exclusives like Ori and Titanfall and LOVE Forza (best “realistic” racing game in my opinion and my third favourite after Fast RMX and Mario Kart 8 on the Switch) but there are a lot more PS4 exclusives of interest. Persona 5 is the best current gen RPG (maybe see what I said about Xenoblade) and the Uncharted series and Last of Us are the best action adventure games NOT named Zelda or Mario (Zero Dawn would be next though after these games).

So, it SEEMS like the PS4 is a little better option. But, the Xbox does offer the ability to play 4k disks.

Need some help with this..... Mjpwooo, Jr wants one of these things. Which one is better? I do not know Jack squat about either, so this is my first place to start research.

I play FIFA and NBA 2k with my son on Xbox and it is fun. It’s addicting, be careful (I guess that is a different thread)

So, it SEEMS like the PS4 is a little better option. But, the Xbox does offer the ability to play 4k disks.

Yeah, I did forget about that aspect as the XBone S (which I have) and the XBone X will both do 4k Blu-ray. Which IS why I have my XBone S hooked up to the 55 in 4K smartv in the master bedroom while I have the PS4 hooked up to the tv in the living room (as it’s “just” an older 60 in 1080p plasma, I haven’t upgraded as I’ll need to replace the entertainment center to get a larger tv and I was wanting to move before doing that).

So IF you have a 4K tv and want to make use of the XBone S or X for that purpose then I’d be inclined to say go with the XBone (just not the original XBone as it’s just regular Blu-ray). On the other hand if you want the best game system NOT named the Nintendo Switch then go with the PS4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT