ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite vacation spot in Florida

12Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2013
Where are some of better places in Florida to get away for a long weekend? Looking to get away on Memorial Day weekend like the rest of Floridians and need some ideas. Preferably a beach with good food and drinks.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I don't think there's a better beach in all the land than Siesta Key in Sarasota but I'm sure you're not the only one who would have the idea of going out on Memorial Day Weekend.

Yep Pensacola Beach is where you need to go for Memorial Day. Interesting crowd there during that weekend.

The three best "Florida" (as one is barely in Georgia just one exit from the border) vacation spots for outdoors aka hiking, beaches and fishing are 1A) Cumberland Island off of St. Mary's Georgia, one of the most secluded and beautiful beaches in the country if you hike a mile north of the main "tourist loop". It's a primitive camping paradise with freshwater lakes, backbay marshes and beachlines to fish. The beaches are pretty interesting, to the south it's got the whitest sand on the Atlantic coast (so...nowhere near as pure as Grayton and Pensacola, but infinitely better than Miami or Daytona) and in the middle it is a reddish pink with gold flecks (really mica) that get churned up in the waves giving the water extra sparkle. Oh yeah...and lots of wild horses. 1B) The Ft. Pickens area of Gulf Islands National Seashore just outside of Pensacola Beach. Even when the campground is full, there are miles of relatively secluded pure white sand and tons of old Civil War, Spanish-American and even WW2 forts to explore. 1C) Grayton Beach which is the best beach in the state imo with unique freshwater dune lakes that only exist in that area of the panhandle and Africa.

After those, there are a lot of really great areas around the state. Enough that I could easily write a book. Amongst my other favorites I'd probably say in no order Ft. Desoto, Caladesi Island, Ichetucknee Springs (best tube float in the state possibly country especially if you do the "wild portion" that is only open from Memorial day to Labor Day), Blackwater River State Park (not quite as good of a float, but relatively unique white sand freshwater beaches along the way), Barefoot Beach State Preserve, Siesta Key, Washington Oaks Gardens (one of the few if not only beaches in Florida with rocky formations from exposed coquina sedimentary rock, takes absolutely great pics), Anastasia State Park, Weeki Wachee Springs (especially if you camp and kayak or canoe the crystal clear rivers and dive the lesser springs), Cedar Key has some of the best seafood (esp Tony's) and fantastic kayaking and fishing, Key Large with John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park and of course Key West. And for me it's not really a vacation, but a typical weekend. But if you don't live in the area it's tough to beat eating in Apalachicola and then going to the beach at St. George.

Originally posted by FSUTribe76:
The three best "Florida" (as one is barely in Georgia just one exit from the border) vacation spots for outdoors aka hiking, beaches and fishing are 1A) Cumberland Island off of St. Mary's Georgia, one of the most secluded and beautiful beaches in the country if you hike a mile north of the main "tourist loop". It's a primitive camping paradise with freshwater lakes, backbay marshes and beachlines to fish. The beaches are pretty interesting, to the south it's got the whitest sand on the Atlantic coast (so...nowhere near as pure as Grayton and Pensacola, but infinitely better than Miami or Daytona) and in the middle it is a reddish pink with gold flecks (really mica) that get churned up in the waves giving the water extra sparkle. Oh yeah...and lots of wild horses. 1B) The Ft. Pickens area of Gulf Islands National Seashore just outside of Pensacola Beach. Even when the campground is full, there are miles of relatively secluded pure white sand and tons of old Civil War, Spanish-American and even WW2 forts to explore. 1C) Grayton Beach which is the best beach in the state imo with unique freshwater dune lakes that only exist in that area of the panhandle and Africa.

After those, there are a lot of really great areas around the state. Enough that I could easily write a book. Amongst my other favorites I'd probably say in no order Ft. Desoto, Caladesi Island, Ichetucknee Springs (best tube float in the state possibly country especially if you do the "wild portion" that is only open from Memorial day to Labor Day), Blackwater River State Park (not quite as good of a float, but relatively unique white sand freshwater beaches along the way), Barefoot Beach State Preserve, Siesta Key, Washington Oaks Gardens (one of the few if not only beaches in Florida with rocky formations from exposed coquina sedimentary rock, takes absolutely great pics), Anastasia State Park, Weeki Wachee Springs (especially if you camp and kayak or canoe the crystal clear rivers and dive the lesser springs), Cedar Key has some of the best seafood (esp Tony's) and fantastic kayaking and fishing, Key Large with John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park and of course Key West. And for me it's not really a vacation, but a typical weekend. But if you don't live in the area it's tough to beat eating in Apalachicola and then going to the beach at St. George.

Great list!

Originally posted by DanC78:

Originally posted by cmanole:
Panama City Beach
Yes, PCB...you get the best bang for your buck!
laugh.r191677.gif

My personal favorite is actually Seagrove Beach

110524seagrove003.jpg

Followed closely by Anna Maria

anna-maria-island-florida-photo.jpg

Destin. My parents took me there every summer since I was 5 and now I take my kids and they love it. Lots and lots of great memories there. I was so sad when they closed down the par 3 course in Ft Walton. I think it was called Island golf center??? Lots of great memories at that place as a child and adult.

Yep, Island golf center.....Loved playing this little par 3. This is the place I learned how to use irons. I remember being so excited as a kid when I hit it over the water on hole 1(the hole at the end of the video). Now I get pissed if i dont stick it within 15 feet.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
There were some tough holes on this little course especially the ones on the bay.

This post was edited on 4/8 11:38 AM by Osceola1728

Island Golf Center

Originally posted by Osceola1728:
Yep, Island golf center.....Loved playing this little par 3. This is the place I learned how to use irons. I remember being so excited as a kid when I hit it over the water on hole 1(the hole at the end of the video). Now I get pissed if i dont stick it within 15 feet.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
There were some tough holes on this little course especially the ones on the bay.

Spent many a drunken afternoon and evening at that place. True story - the little pitch and putt course, not the par three but the little one where the holes are all 50 yards or so. I made 8 straight 2s and a par on the last hole lipping my bird that would have given me an 18...

I started going to Destin / South Walton back in the 70s when there was basically nothing between Destin proper and Sandestin and my mom has been going to Seagrove since she was a kid back in the 40s...

Panama City Beach
Yes, PCB...you get the best bang for your buck!
laugh.r191677.gif

My personal favorite is actually Seagrove Beach

ec

ec
Seagrove is damn expensive these days. We used to have parties/bonfires on the beach there when I was in high school. Now there are million dollar homes built on the exact property. Amazing how much it has grown.

Anna Maria is awesome, but limited on things to do. It's for beaching it only. But is a step up from Cape Sandblast entertainment wise.

Now..PCB...oh yeah. More good restaurants than you can throw a stick at. You can rent almost brand new huge condos right on the beach for pretty damn cheap. The pool areas of those condos have the feel of a cruise ship with things to do. The beaches and sand are beautiful. You can have the true summer time vacation experience in PCB. Your kids will meet other families kids and form lasting relationships. If you go to the same place during the same time of year, you will start seeing and meeting other people who do the same. You would be surprised. We do dinner with several other famalies every year now that we have gotten to know. I have seen 10 year old kids grow up and go to college, have grand-kids with families of there own now. You won't get that kind of experience, with rooms that nice and new, at that price anywhere else. Yes, Seaside is better, but it's not cheap and the people there are clickish....just sayin. Anna Maria is beautiful, but can be boring after a couple days, heaven forbid that it rains...you're definitely screwed then.

The bang for your buck comment was a pun for sure...but in all seriousness, you do get more bang for your buck there
tongue.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/8 12:42 PM by DanC78

All of them.

Me personally, I like it to get away from the crowds. So the popular ones wouldn't be on my list. Cape San Blas or Cape Sable would probably top my choices, but chances are I'll be running people to Egmont Key and or Jewfish And Lido Keys.

SGI is at the top of my list, but if you're looking for plenty of different food choices that's not it.
We usually eat what we catch (or buy from the seafood market)

The bang for your buck comment was a pun for sure...but in all seriousness, you do get more bang for your buck there
tongue.r191677.gif
I don't have anything against PCB really...

Epcot.

Used to live in Dr. Phillips and wife and I had "after 4" passes. We'd head over there after work all the time and grab some food and wander around. Especially during special times of the year. We parked at the Boardwalk (free) and then walked into the back entrance. When the crowds came to town and during the summer we stayed away.

Other than that, I like to camp at Lake Seminole in our pop-up and just chill.

tongue.r191677.gif
I don't have anything against PCB really...
Well that isn't fun.... :)

Originally posted by Osceola1728:
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Spent many a drunken afternoon and evening at that place. True story - the little pitch and putt course, not the par three but the little one where the holes are all 50 yards or so. I made 8 straight 2s and a par on the last hole lipping my bird that would have given me an 18...

I started going to Destin / South Walton back in the 70s when there was basically nothing between Destin proper and Sandestin and my mom has been going to Seagrove since she was a kid back in the 40s...
Cool story. I never played the pitch and putt. I remember staying in Destin during the 70's as well when there was nothing there. We used to stay at the Florida Girl Motel, which is now the parking lot of AJ's. Good times.

Originally posted by 12Nole:
Where are some of better places in Florida to get away for a long weekend? Looking to get away on Memorial Day weekend like the rest of Floridians and need some ideas. Preferably a beach with good food and drinks.

Where are you located? If you are living in Miami you are probably not going to the panhandle and if you are living in Tallahassee you probably aren't hiking it to key west for a long weekend.

Originally posted by Squirrel J.:
SGI is at the top of my list, but if you're looking for plenty of different food choices that's not it.
SHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! We don't need anymore yahoos invading our spot.

Originally posted by maddog69:
Originally posted by Squirrel J.:
SHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! We don't need anymore yahoos invading our spot.
If SGI is what I think it is, the military guys have already invaded it! Straight from the E.AFB just down the road apiece.

Either Fort Lauderdale, the Spring Break capital of the world, or Daytona Beach, the birthplace of the Cuban sandwich. Can't go wrong either way.

Originally posted by LT4PLY:

Originally posted by 12Nole:

Where are you located? If you are living in Miami you are probably not going to the panhandle and if you are living in Tallahassee you probably aren't hiking it to key west for a long weekend.
Getting ready to ask the same question. When I lived in South Florida, I had absolutely no idea where or what Destin was. I certainly wouldn't have traveled 8+ hours for over crowded beaches and chain restaurants.

Destin/sandestin/30A area is tough to beat. 30A is the quiet landscape for those who look for that. Pensacola and PCB are the red headed stepchildren to those 3. Just my 2cents

A sleeper would be St. Andrews State Park in Panama City. It has hiking, fishing, snorkeling, diving and swimming, but away from the commercialized mess. You have the option of the beach side, with the waves and people watching, or the more quiet bay side. The jetties are fun to play around on, and good for fishing. Decent diving and snorkeling, especially considering you just walk in the water, best between low and high tide when the clean gulf water is coming back in.

Originally posted by Formerly Rockymtnole:
Either Fort Lauderdale, the Spring Break capital of the world, or Daytona Beach, the birthplace of the Cuban sandwich. Can't go wrong either way.
You really want to start two fights with one post? As the man who rocked the bells said,"I don't think so".

Try Hialeah and hop the fence to see lakes where people used to go. Then if you like wildlife the take a short excursion to Carol City and make your own adventure tour. Then do a day trip as Tribe would do and take the scenic Palmetto Expressway down to Key West for beakfast, go fishing in Florida Bay, have lunch in Clewiston to play the game of trying to spot Lake Okeechobee, and dinner at a wild game food truck in Kissimee. My daughter used to love take these excursions with me before they took her away from me.

Another vote for St George Island. My in-laws moved there full time two years ago and we try and visit as much as possible. Food choices are limited but Apalachicola is close and they have a ton of good places to eat. Great place to escape and relax.

ec

Shhhhhhhh. Keep it like a secret, my man. It's already getting too well known. Coquina just made a GD top 5 sand list. It already bad enough that I can't eat at my favorite seafood spot because it made it on a Travel and Leisure best of list. Ridiculous lines in season now....

This post was edited on 4/9 12:33 PM by crooked_rain

Originally posted by timenole:
Try Hialeah and hop the fence to see lakes where people used to go. Then if you like wildlife the take a short excursion to Carol City and make your own adventure tour. Then do a day trip as Tribe would do and take the scenic Palmetto Expressway down to Key West for beakfast, go fishing in Florida Bay, have lunch in Clewiston to play the game of trying to spot Lake Okeechobee, and dinner at a wild game food truck in Kissimee. My daughter used to love take these excursions with me before they took her away from me.
I calculated about 6 minutes of down time in that itinerary. Tribe would never go for that.

Originally posted by seminoledq:
Originally posted by timenole:
I calculated about 6 minutes of down time in that itinerary. Tribe would never go for that.
Very true. I'm finishing up my intenary for my latest ten day trip as we speak as we're leaving tomorrow and some of your heads would explode. All perfectly doable with opt outs if we're running behind, have bad weather or want to spend more time at the main locations.

Don't know where you live.; but Amelia Island has always been one of my favorite beach type destinations. Probably in part due to the great times the wife and I had there and then the wife, kids and me had there. Also went there as my first destination after I returned from every deployment. I live in HHI and grew up in Miami so the beach scene is not something I have always needed to vacation at. In Amelia we always stayed at condos right on the water and just really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere. Now if you are asking for my favorite places to vacation I would say Greenville, Asheville, Black Mountain area. I would move there in a second and will likely buy something up that way eventually. Like I said though I grew up in Miami and live in HHI so part of the love for the mountains is probably having always been near a beach. Hope you have fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT