ADVERTISEMENT

FSU beach volleyball wins three matches at Seminole Beach Bash

FSU sports information:

The Florida State beach volleyball team went undefeated on day one of the annual Seminole Beach Bash tournament. The No. 4 Seminoles knocked off No. 19 Tampa, No. 16 Georgia State and No. 17 Stetson on Saturday.

The Noles started the day in dominant fashion with a 5-0 sweep over the Spartans. All five duos won each match in two sets.

FSU then played Georgia State where the Noles defeated the Panthers 4-1. The duel was highlighted by a tightly contested second set on court one, which saw Maddie Anderson and Skyler Germann clinch the win 22-20.

The Seminoles then played Stetson, in which FSU completed a 5-0 sweep. Despite a lightning delay amid the duel, the Noles remained composed and defeated the Hatters, dropping just one set. Anna Long and Alexis Durish went back and forth with the Hatters on court four, winning the first set 32-30.

The Seminoles will be back Sunday morning at 10:45 a.m. to take on the ULM Warhawks.

#4 Florida State 5, #19 Tampa 0

Audrey Koenig/Raelyn White (FSU) def. Payton Brunick/Olivia Whisnant (UT) 21-13, 21-14
Maddie Anderson & Morgan Chacon (FSU) def. Teona Treskounov & Angel Williams (UT) 21-15, 21-17
Alexis Durish & Skyler Germann (FSU) def. Hailey Wolfe & Nevaeh Wolfe (UT) 21-10, 21-18
Alli Hansen & Anna Long (FSU) def. Anna Bayes & Cassidy Ehrie (UT) 21-17, 21-10
Kaeli Crews & Caitlin Moon (FSU) def. Madison Brunick & Keely Hamilton (UT) 21-16, 21-15

#4 Florida State 4, #16 Georgia State 1
  1. Audrey Koenig & Raelyn White (FSU) def. Angelina Ferary & Isabella Ferary (GSU) 21-18, 21-12
  2. Maddie Anderson/Skyler Germann (FSU) def. Lila Bordis/Aree Keller (GSU) 21-18, 22-20
  3. Morgan Chacon/Alli Hansen (FSU) def. Kaylie Drysdale/Aliisa Vourinen (GSU) 21-19, 21-14
  4. Alexis Durish/Anna Long (FSU) def. Ayla Johnson/Elise Saga (GSU) 21-16, 21-16
  5. Savannah Ebarb/Destiny White (GSU) def. Maddie Trusty/Makenna Wolfe (FSU) 21-18, 21-17
#4 Florida State 5, #17 Stetson 0
  1. Maddie Anderson/Skyler Germann (FSU) def. Tori Clement/Shae Henson (Stetson) 21-13, 21-17
  2. Audrey Koenig & Raelyn White (FSU) def. Carolina Ferraris & Audrey Gauthier (Stetson) 21-16, 18-21, 15-9
  3. Morgan Chacon/Alli Hansen (FSU) def. Vanessa Hurnikova/Klea Sirois (Stetson) 21-15, 21-14
  4. Alexis Durish/Anna Long (FSU) def. Julia Czurylo/Katarina Drozd (Stetson) 32-30, 21-18
  5. Kaeli Crews/Caitlin Moon (FSU) def. Lauren Della/Alanna Shields (Stetson) 21-10, 21-15

Baseball Live Updates: FSU vs. Illinois in First Pitch Invitational (Second game of Saturday doubleheader)

Cam Leiter (2-0, 0.90 ERA) is set to take the mound in game 2 of FSU's doubleheader on Saturday night. FSU vs. Illinois is slated for a 7:30 p.m. first pitch but will likely be pushed back.

Illinois is leading Western Michigan 6-3 in the eighth inning, as of 6:55 p.m.

We'll have starting lineups and updates soon

FSU took game 1 on Saturday from Michigan State

If you missed it from earlier, this is a good look at the Greenville Drive's home field:

Login to view embedded media

Football now a step closer to coach-to-player helmet communication, tablets on sideline, two-minute warnings

Via the NCAA:

The NCAA Football Rules Committee proposed optional technology rules, effective with the 2024 competition season.

All rule recommendations must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which is scheduled to discuss football proposals April 18.

In games involving Football Bowl Subdivision teams, each school would have the option to use coach-to-player communications through the helmet to one player on the field. That player would be identified by having a green dot on the back midline of the player's helmet.

The communication from the coach to the player would be turned off with 15 seconds remaining on the play clock or when the ball is snapped, whichever comes first.

For all three divisions, teams would have the option of using tablets to view in-game video only. The video could include the broadcast feed and camera angles from the coach's sideline and coach's end zone.

Teams could have up to 18 active tablets for use in the coaching booth, sideline and locker room. Tablets could not be connected to other devices to project larger additional images and could not include analytics, data or data access capability or other communication access. All team personnel would be allowed to view the tablets during the game.

Committee members also had a thorough discussion regarding wearable technologies.

The committee invites non-FBS conferences that are interested in using wearable technologies to submit an experimental proposal to the committee. Any proposals must be made to the committee by June 15.

"The use of technology has been on the committee's agenda for several years, and the time is right to introduce it in NCAA football," said A.J. Edds, co-chair of the committee and vice president of football administration at the Big Ten Conference. "FBS conferences have partnered together to ensure the consistent application and work through the details of the technical requirements for implementation."

Two-minute timeout​

The committee proposed adding an automatic timeout when two minutes remain in the second and fourth quarters.

This recommendation synchronizes all timing rules, such as 10-second runoffs and stopping the clock when a first down is gained in bounds, which coincides with the two-minute timeout.

"The two-minute timeout will allow all end-of-half and end-of-game timing rules to be simplified and synch up with this timeout," said Steve Shaw, secretary-rules editor. "This will also help broadcast partners to avoid back-to-back media timeouts."

Uniforms​

In recent years, the committee has expressed concerns about the look of players' uniforms, specifically pants. The committee is proposing a stronger enforcement structure for clear violations of the rule. On the first violation, a flag would be thrown to indicate a warning for illegal equipment, and the offending player would have to leave the game for at least one play and could return when the issue is corrected.

Any subsequent uniform violation by any member of that team would result in a timeout being charged to the team. If a team is out of timeouts, it would receive a 5-yard delay-of-game penalty.

First-down timing rules​

After a year of review, Division III committee members decided to adopt the timing rules where the game clock would continue to run when a first down is gained in bounds. The game clock would be stopped when a first down is gained during the last two minutes of either half. Divisions I and II schools used this timing rule last season.

Other rules proposals​

• Allowing conferences the option of using a collaborative replay review system. This would be formally added to the rules book; it has been an experimental rule.
  • Penalizing horse-collar tackles that occur within the tackle box as a 15-yard personal foul. Currently, a horse-collar tackle within the tackle box is not a foul.
Permanently allowing head coaches to conduct interviews with broadcast partners after the first and third quarters. This was allowed on an experimental basis last season.
Reactions: Seaker42

FSU 76 GT 85 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

FSU 76 GT 85 The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good

Well, at least FSU led in the game. (This is one of those games where you look for something, anything that was a positive.) A Primo Spears layup gave the 'Noles a 37-36 lead. Nine seconds later GT took the lead back from a Nathan George three pointer. But hey, FSU took another lead shortly after with a Spears lay up, 41-39. For a total of 6 seconds when game high scorer Kyle Sturdivant nailed a three pointer.

Jamir Watkins with his 15th consecutive game in double figures and his 24th this season.

Three others (Baba Miller, Cam Corhen, and Spears) also were double figures. Other than Corhen, many of those points came when it was pretty clear GT was going to win the game.

Despite less than stellar play, especially on defense, the Seminoles were down by just three points at the half. You had hope that the second half see better play from the 'Noles. They were certainly in the game at that point.

Some of the better plays for FSU: Watkins with the steal early in the game at the time line and races to the rim for the one handed slam dunk, 6-11. Watkins again driving around the lane from the FT line and the lay up, 12-17. Corhen with the blocked shot that quickly led to a Darin Green three, 20-21. Miller's reverse lay up to tie the game at 39 apiece. Spears' steal in the left corner taking it the distance for the lay up, 41-39. Watkins still out there fighting when he dove to the floor and wrestled the ball away. On his back, he found Spears racing to the lane for the lay up, 83-71. Unfortunately there was only 1:42 left in the game. Miles Kelly with the crisp pass to the right wing in front of the GT bench. UNFORTUNATELY, his teammate at that moment started to cut to the basket. DOH!!!

The Bad

FSU drops to 15-14, 9-9 and gives GT its first back to back conference win of the season. It also continues a five year steak of losing on the road to the Yellow Jackets.

Leonard Hamilton summed the game up in one brief sentence. "We did not have our usual five minute dip, we started out dipping."

Perhaps this should be in The Ugly part of this diatribe, but Hamilton having to say the coaching staff needs to find a way to motivate the players is very troubling. The Seminoles were just one game out from securing the coveted double bye in the ACC tournament. A winning record for the season was on the line. Post season play as well even if it is the NIT. Apparently none of that was motivation enough because the team poorly. Less than poorly IMO.

Coming into the game, FSU needed to win the rebound battle. FSU 33; GT 55. Consider the execution of that game plan point as an epic failure. As Hamilton said post game, he could not remember being outrebounded like that in any game in his years as a head coach.

For FSU, basically it was a first half where defense was optional as Tech shot 53% from the floor. Still FSU was not that bad offensively shooting 46%. The second half saw the FSU offense select the optional choice. Forget the late "flurry" that made it seem more respectable than it was. Late in the second half, the Seminoles had a total of five FGs. Come to think of it, maybe this should be in The Ugly as well.

It was mentioned in the pregame show that Stan Jones was concerned with the early start and how the team would play. His concerns were warranted.

The Ugly

The beginning of the second for both teams was a demonstration of the many ways how NOT to make a basket. Both teams racing up and down the floor missing shot after shot, many of them point blank lay ups. This was not FSU getting its act together on defense because the optional defense showed itself later on in the period. No, this was GT showing themselves as one of the worst shooting teams in the country. As for FSU, its the consistently inconsistent offense we have seen all season long.

Florida State would make a nice play looking like it was about to make a push only to see GT come back in a matter of seconds to score. It would happen over and over. There's that optional defense again.

Optional offense. With 11:24 to play, FSU was 3 of 15 from the floor.

Some of The Ugly plays of the game: Miller with the point blank lay up that did not go down, 12-17. Watkins dribbling the ball off his leg and OB, 12-17 (a lot of bad things happened around that score). Spears attempted alley oop that was off target. Six seconds later GT scored, 29-33. Taylor Bol Bowen missed the FT. GT got the rebound and with no one back on defense, a lay up made it 33-35. Tyzhan Claude with a totally uncontested drive down the lane, 55-64. Jalen Warley fouling 90 feet from the rim?!?!?! Watkins alley oop clanging off the front of the rim. Spears sending an alley oop over Miller's head. WAY over his head.

Got to get this one in. A drive and kick out to the shooter stationed outside the arc is a common play. But really, putting Bol Bowen out there to take that shot? That's the play?? He is now 4 of 28. That is 14% for those of you keeping score at home.

Up Next

To Pittsburgh with a 9 PM tip and on The Deuce. The 18-10, 9-8 Panthers play Boston College later today. F Blake Hinson leads Pitt at 18.5 ppg.
  • Sad
Reactions: NoleLizards

Baseball Another Jamie Arnold gem helps FSU kick off First Pitch Invitational with dominant win over MSU

Behind another gem from Jamie Arnold, FSU baseball opened the First Pitch Invitational with a dominant 11-2 win over Michigan State to improve to 8-0 on the season.

Baseball Live Updates: FSU vs. Michigan State in the First Pitch Invitational (First game of Saturday doubleheader)

For the first time this season, the Florida State baseball is spending a weekend on the road. The Seminoles are competing in the First Pitch Invitational in Greenville, S.C. with three games against three different opponents.

While FSU was supposed to open vs. Illinois Friday night, no games were played yesterday due to the weather. As such, FSU (7-0) will now open a Saturday doubleheader at 12:30 p.m. vs. Michigan State (4-5). All games of the First Pitch Invitational will be livestreamed for free on the Greenville Drive YouTube page. While the Spartans' record isn't especially impressive, they are coming off a 19-6 win at Georgia on Wednesday.

Presumably because Jamie Arnold was expected to start against MSU entering the weekend, FSU will turn to its Saturday starter, Arnold, for its first game of the weekend. Arnold has allowed no earned runs in 11 innings over his first two starts of the season.

The assumption is Cam Leiter, FSU's normal Friday starter, will start tonight vs. Illinois, the team he was supposed to face entering the weekend.

Michigan State won its first game of the weekend Saturday morning with a 13-3 run-rule win over Western Michigan.

FSU lineup:
1cf27 DeAmez RossL.381
23b24 Cam SmithR.500
3rf22 James Tibbs IIIL.370
4lf7 Jaime FerrerR.385
52b3 Drew FaurotB.484
6dh43 Marco DingesR.353
71b32 Daniel CantuL.231
8c25 McGwire HolbrookR.400
9ss1 Alex LodiseR.167

MSU lineup:
1rf21 Frank,JackL.395
2lf10 Williams,NickR.395
31b24 Busch,SamL.333
4dh5 Williams,ChristianR.385
52b1 McKay,RyanL.500
6cf30 Dresselhouse,JakeR.222
73b2 Kark,DillonR.289
8ss35 Seymour,RandyR.258
9c3 Thompson,SamR.154

Updates will be shared here as well once the game gets underway.

Basketball Updates: FSU at Ga. Tech (Saturday, noon on ESPN2)

Florida State (15-13, 9-8 ACC) will play at Georgia Tech (12-16, 5-12) on Saturday at noon. The game will be broadcast on ESPN2 with Jay Alter and Malcolm Huckaby on the call.

FSU defeated GT 82-71 on Jan. 3 in Tallahassee, the start of a five-game winning streak. For what it's worth, history has not been so good for FSU at GT - the Yellow Jackets have not lost since Feb. 2019 to FSU in Atlanta.

This is the sixth time in the last seven years that FSU has won at least nine ACC games.

Jamir Watkins has been Mr. Consistent for an inconsistent team. Watkins has scored in double figures in 14 straight games.

Cam Corhen is averaging 9.3 points in his last three games (including 11 vs. NC State).

FSU has 259 steals, averaging 9.3 per game. This easily surpasses the 197 from last season. The school record is 322 (1992-93). This year's total of 259 steals is 30 away from a tie for fifth place in program history.

We will be enjoying Jamie Luckie as today's referee.

Football Live Updates: Jaheim Bell, Renardo Green and Jarrian Jones set to represent FSU on Day 2 of NFL Combine workouts

Day 2 of NFL Combine workouts are about to get underway in Indy. Former FSU defensive backs Renardo Green and Jarrian Jones and former FSU tight end Jaheim Bell set to represent the Seminoles today. We'll have updates below.

Also, here's a look at how NFL.com projects each of their games heading to the next level.

Status of FSU’s probation

With today’s announcement that the NCAA is pausing their NIL investigations of Tennessee and basically becoming more neutered everyday, what’s the status of FSU’s sanctions for Alex Atkins giving a ride and introducing a prospect to our collective? Didn’t we lose scholarships, pay a nice financial penalty and Atkins given a lengthy show cause? Seems kind of silly to be penalized for anything regarding NIL these days and any appeal would win.

How I think our guys will perform at the combine

So obviously the 40 isn't everything, but it's a big deal for draft stock. Guys will shoot up or plummet down draft boards based on their 40. I thought I would put together a little list of guys who I think will or will not run well. You may find some of these surprising but I think I have a pretty good eye for speed.

Guys who will run well
Jared Verse (I think he'll run in the 4.5 range, and put up big numbers on the bench press and broad jump)
Braden Fiske (he is exceptionally fast for a guy of his size, I think he could run in the 4.8 range)
Trey Benson (obviously we know Trey is fast, I'm expecting a 4.4)
Jarrian Jones (he lost a bunch of weight this year and got way faster, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4.4)
Kalen DeLoach (Kalen should run in the 4.5 range, and he needs to, because he's the size of a safety, he needs to run like a safety)
Johnny Wilson (I think Johnny's speed is going to shock some people, he's got an insanely long stride, I wouldn't be surprised to see him run a 4.4, or 4.5 at worst)

Guys who will not run well
Renardo Green (lacks long speed, I think he will run a 4.6)
Keon Coleman (another guy who I think lacks long speed, I think he'll run a 4.6, but he could have a nice vertical)
Fabien Lovett (I don't think Fabien should even run the 40, because it won't be pretty, but look for big numbers on the bench press)
Tatum Bethune (Another guy who probably shouldn't run the 40, because it won't be good, 4.8 or worse I think)
Jaheim Bell (people may be surprised by this one, but I don't think Jaheim is going to run well at all, his stride is super short, I'm calling 4.8 or worse)

Guys who are not running
Jordan Travis (obviously we know JT is fast, I think he would run in the 4.5 range if healthy)

Feel free to debate or flame me, but I suspect I won't be very far off on any of these

Football Keon Coleman says team's 13-0 record is his greatest pride from his season at FSU

Keon Coleman accomplished a great deal during his lone season as a member of the Florida State football program. Asked this morning what he's proudest of from his FSU tenure, though, he deferred to a team accomplishment.

"13-0, baby. Go 'Noles."

That and much more from his interview this morning at the NFL Combine before he works out tomorrow.

Football Trey Benson shares his appreciation for how FSU coaches took chance on him

Just two years ago, Trey Benson was a running back in the transfer portal with 22 rushing yards at Oregon and coming off major knee surgery. Now, he's in the conversation among the top running backs in the 2024 draft class after a pair of 900-yard seasons.

During an interview on Friday at the NFL Combine, he shared his appreciation for coach Mike Norvell and running backs coach David Johnson for how they recruited and developed him. Norvell gave Benson his first scholarship offer back when the coach was at Memphis.

“Coach Norvell, he means a lot to me," Benson said. "He took a chance on me. He didn’t have to. He didn’t have to take a chance on me. He didn’t know what I was all about. But he trusted me. I just trusted the process. He just made me a better player overall. He was the best coach I ever had. Coach Norvell is the best coach I ever had. He brings that energy every single day. Even if he loses his voice, he’ll still find a way to yell at us. It’s all good vibes. I love coach Norvell to death.”

Baseball Notes: FSU third weekend starter in rotation remains TBD

FSU coach Link Jarrett said this afternoon that the third starting pitcher this weekend remains to be determined. He suggested a number of options but likes keeping Conner Whittaker in the midweek role for the moment.

FSU will play Illinois on Friday at 2 p.m. in a three-day tournament in Greenville, S.C. The Seminoles will follow that up with a game Saturday vs. Michigan State (6 p.m.) and Sunday vs. Western Michigan (2 p.m.). All three games will stream live on the Greenville Drive YouTube channel (free).

Reactions: WoodsideNole

Updates: FSU women's basketball at No. 22 Louisville (Thursday at 8 p.m. on ACC Network)

FSU sports information:

Winners of six of its last seven games, the Florida State women’s basketball team comes into Thursday's big road matchup at No. 22 Louisville as one of the hottest teams in the ACC. Only league opponents Virginia Tech (7-0) and Syracuse (6-1) have held equal or better records over their last seven games.

Sophomore guard Ta’Niya Latson has produced another outstanding season. She ranks in the Top 10 in the league in scoring (4th; 21.67), assists (7th; 4.33) and free throw percentage (2nd; 85.7%). She joins only Notre Dame’s Hannah Hidalgo in ranking in the Top 10 in the league in those categories.

The Seminoles go for their fourth AP Top 25 win of the season, owning ranked wins over No. 11 Tennessee (92-91), No. 20 UNC (70-62) and No. 11 Virginia Tech (89-81). A win over the 22nd-ranked Cardinals would give FSU its most ranked wins in a season since having six in 2019-20.

The wild ACC standings include a four-way tie for third place between FSU, Notre Dame, NC State and Louisville with 11-5 conference records. Following FSU’s road game at Louisville, it will host Clemson on Sunday at 4 p.m. on Senior Day in a game where Alexis Tucker and Sara Bejedi will be recognized.

Junior forward Makayla Timpson is two double-doubles shy of breaking Natasha Howard’s single-season record (15 in 2013-14), totaling 14 this season. She is also 11 blocks away from breaking former player Jacinta Monroe’s single-season record of 84 in the 2008-09 season. Timpson has 73 blocks this year.

The Seminoles and Cardinals are one of eight teams nationally to make the last 10 NCAA Tournaments.

With 214 made 3-point field goals, FSU is 19 away from breaking the school record of 232 set by the 2022-23 team.

Timpson ties FSU single-season double-double mark in FSU's loss at Louisville

FSU sports information:

Junior forward Makayla Timpson recorded 17 points and 11 rebounds to tie the single-season double-doubles mark at Florida State with 15 as the Seminoles fell at No. 22 Louisville, 70-55, on Thursday night at the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville.

Timpson ties WNBA All-Star Natasha Howard’s 15 double-doubles that she recorded in the 2013-14 season. Timpson also recorded four blocks, moving her season total to 78 and putting her seven blocks away from breaking Jacinta Monroe’s single-season record of 84.

Sophomore Ta’Niya Latson led all scorers with 18 points in the loss. FSU is now in sole possession of seventh place in the league heading into Sunday’s 4 p.m. finale at home against Clemson.

The Cardinals (23-7, 12-5 ACC) out-rebounded FSU, 57-32, in a game that was very physical. Olivia Cochran led UofL with 16 points and 11 rebounds.

It was a physical first quarter where Louisville took an 18-16 advantage. After trailing 8-0 early, FSU called a timeout and out-scored the Cardinals 16-10 through the rest of the quarter. Timpson led the way with eight points in the first.

Louisville took control in the second quarter, out-scoring the Seminoles 25-10. UofL was keyed by a 14-0 run midway through the period, with Sydney Taylor getting hot with 10 points. Timpson led FSU with 10 points going into halftime, crossing double figures for the 25th time this season.

FSU was able to out-score Louisville 18-11 in the final quarter.

The Seminoles will recognize two seniors on Sunday in Sara Bejedi and Alexis Tucker as FSU hosts Clemson at 4 p.m. in its regular-season finale at the Tucker Center.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT