ADVERTISEMENT

Latson scores 30 points but FSU falls at NC State in OT

Ta'Niya Latson scored 30 points, while Makayla Timpson had 13 points and nine rebounds but FSU didn't have enough and lost to No. 3 NC State 88-80 in overtime.

River Baldwin, who began her career at FSU, had 21 points on 10 of 14 shooting and added eight rebounds. The Wolfpack improved to 14-0.

The Seminoles (11-4, 2-1 ACC) shot 38.2 percent from the floor but were only 7 of 32 (21.9 percent) from 3-point range.

Up next

FSU plays at Clemson on Sunday at 4 p.m. (ACC Network)

Screen Shot 2024-01-04 at 10.05.16 PM.png
Reactions: semispear

Soccer FSU soccer forward Onyi Echegini wins MAC Hermann Trophy

FSU soccer standout Onyi Echegini has been named this year's MAC Hermann Trophy winner. It's the third time in the last four years that the award, given annually to the best collegiate women's soccer player in the country, has been given to a Seminole.

Football Recruiting Michigan State DE transfer Zion Young stopped by FSU Friday for brief visit

Add another defensive end transfer target to the list of prospects who visited Florida State this week.

Michigan State defensive end transfer Zion Young was on FSU’s campus Friday afternoon for a visit which will not carry on into Saturday.

Originally a three-star recruit out of Atlanta Westlake High in the 2022 class, Young is also rated a three-star transfer prospect by Rivals, the No. 188 overall portal prospect in this cycle.

He appeared in 20 games over two seasons at MSU, recording 47 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks.

FSU is also expected to host Oregon State defensive end transfer Sione Lolohea and West Virginia DE transfer Tomiwa Durojaiye this weekend as it looks to add at least one more edge-rusher through the portal.

Another name to keep an eye on: Alabama WR Malik Benson

Another name to keep an eye on as the portal window comes to a close and classes are set to being next week is that of Alabama wide receiver Malik Benson. There is believed to mutual interest between the 6-1 and 195-pound wide receiver and the Seminoles.

Benson had 13 catches this season for 162 yards. He signed with Hutchinson JUCO out of Lansing (Kan.) High.

We will confirm a visit as soon as we can, but it is very possible that he ends up on campus this weekend or next week.

Football Jordan Travis set to begin NFL Draft process at East-West Shrine Bowl

Former FSU quarterback Jordan Travis will begin his NFL Draft process with interviews later this month at the East-West Shrine Bowl in Frisco, Texas.

Michigan cheating scandal

How do we as a society allow the University of Michigan to participate in the playoffs considering the coach was suspended the first and last 3 games of the regular season for cheating. What message does this send to the kids participating in the sport.

I don't need to hear about due process and that the case has to be further investigated and then go to a hearing. The fact of the matter is there is enough reasonable suspicion/ probable cause to warrant Michigan not getting in.

I was torn last night as I obviously didn't want to see Bama win as I feel as though they took our spot. I didn't want to see Michigan win,,,,,,,well because its Michigan and they cheated.

Go Washington. Beat the cheating wolverines!!!!!

NCAA signs massive deal with ESPN for Women's basketball and 36 other tournaments

The NCAA and ESPN announced on Thursday a $920 million, eight-year agreement that will give the network exclusive rights to 40 championships, including the Division I women’s basketball tournament, an event growing in popularity that the association has been accused of undervaluing in the past.

NCAA President Charlie Baker told The Associated Press the deal has an average annual value of $115 million, an increase of more than 300% per year on what the previous 14-year deal with ESPN was paying the association.

“Yes, it’s a bundle, but it’s a bigger bundle and it’s a bigger bundle that will be much better,” Baker said.

The deal covers 21 women’s and 19 men’s sports, adding tennis, track and field, men’s gymnastics, the women’s Division II and III volleyball and basketball championships and the men’s DII and DIII basketball championships.

Read more in link below.

NCAA and ESPN Deal

No more left lane dawdling!

Among the new laws in Florida as of January 1 is the “Move Over” law which means motorists can no longer just sit in the left lane cruising along at 70 mph (if that).
It’s not really awful on the Interstates unless one truck is trying to pass another doing 70 and they’re trying to pass going 71, but is more common on local highways and is a royal pain.
We’ll see how effective it is.
Reactions: BrianNole777

KJ Bolden statement about FSU in Orange Bowl

Now I don’t do the whole bash kids thing bc that’s not who I am. I respect whatever decision you made and why you made it. But for you to say “You’re glad you’re not over there on that team now bc there would have been problems!!”
That just amazes me how these kids troll a team that was once your dream school so you say!! That put a sour taste in my mouth. And if I was Coach I would hang that 63-3 in the locker room the entire season and express the disrespect that everyone had for you to turn it into something to fuel their fire to make them want to drag anyone that they come in contact with.
Just curious to what some of you think about that??

Notes From the Uninformed

I have read and listened to several columns and analysis of the thing from yesterday in Miami Gardens. Some good, some not so good. I've read a lot of posts here and other sites. Some fair; many unfair and self-serving. The ones that trouble me most are the ones that butcher players and coaches basically for disappointing them and spoiling the joy they thought they are entitled to that comes from winning or, at a minimum, not being embarrassed.

But there is an aspect in all the comments, columns and analysis that is blatantly missing and it was missing from the reporting and commentary from the pre-game dialogue, too. I can't find a single reference to Coach Mike Norvell winning the Dodd Coach of the Year. Somehow that recognition got swept away in the piling on of criticisms for opt outs, transfers and declaring for the draft. I'm sure you've seen and heard it as I have. "FSU doesn't have the team pride that UGa demonstrated. Those players are just selfish and lack courage." etc, etc.

The Dodd Coach of the Year award is awarded to the Div 1 coach that develops the team that best reflects achievement in academics, on the field of competition and in the community. The 2023 FSU squad achieved the highest GPA in school history in 2023. With an APR of 983, FSU ranks 23rd in Div 1 schools. In 2019, FSU's APR was the lowest in Div 1 schools at 936; below East Carolina. FSU graduated 69 football players who earned their degree and attained a 3.0 GPA in their last term before graduation. Bobby Dodd would be proud of this. Bobby Bowden would be proud of this. The ACC and commissioner Phillips says nothing specifically about it.

Florida State football players have served the community for many years and most know about former OG Gibbons enormously successful award winning Big Man, Big heart program from 2021. But of perhaps more relevancy to the current discussion is this:

"Turning adversity into action.

In line with the standard set by Mike Norvell’s program — channeling challenging moments into positive moments — Florida Stateplayers Jordan Travis, Trey Benson, Keon Coleman and Ja’Khi Douglas are teaming up with FSU alumnus Dillon Gibbons and his non-profit “Big Man, Big Heart” to raise money for the Boys’ and Girls’ Clubs in Big Bend (Tallahassee), Tampa Bay, Gainesville, and Coral Gables.

In the immediate aftermath of the snub, those players directly affected by it applied CMN's teaching to control what you can control and not be controlled by others into tangible practice and raised close to $30,000. Coach Norvell's teams serves the communities. But the response of the 2023 club is more than remarkable in the face of the disappointment they had just confronted. Bobby Dodd would be proud. Bobby Bowden would be proud. All of Florida State alumni, students and fans should be proud. Selfish? Not bloody likely.

Anyone reading this internet fish wrapping knows the on the field of competition story. FSU was undefeated for 13 straight games; was ranked as high as #3 in the Coaches' Poll and, interestingly, the CFPSC ranking. Some may have forgotten that when Heisman finalist, Jordan Travis went down, FSU was trailing in the game by double digits. With a backup QB and numerous injured players (some missing the game) Norvell rallied his players in the face of the decimating prospect of losing Jordan Travis and won its 11th game. Game 12 was against our biggest rival, in their swamp and we had our second string QB and still more injured players, including Keon and several OL. We fell behind, but he rallied the squad to victory. But being lizards, the slimy bastards had to target our QB while he was on the ground and give him a concussion. We go to game 13 and the conference championship against a top 15 team anxious to win their very first ACCC with a true freshman at QB. A true freshman who had missed ~6 weeks of the season with an injured hand. Again CMN led the team to victory #13 and the 19th consecutive win over the past 2 seasons. That victory was achieved on the road, with injuries to Coleman, Bethune, Farmer, Scott, Darius, Toafili, and Bell. All of college football should have been proud of this show of courage and determination. Many were; just not Sankey, ESPN and the CFPSC members. Using ESPN's strength of schedule matirx instead of the NCAA's and ignoring the ESPN SOR ranking in the top 3, FSU was denied the chance to compete.

So my question is how is it that Norvell's recognition as the Dodd Trophy winner has become a ghost? My answer is to reference it would confront analyst, columnists and posters with the uncomfortable problem of explaining how a team that has achieved so much on and off the field could justifiably be left left out? Instead, these vocal noise makers tortuously blame the Heisman Trophy finalist for getting injured as the justification. And when the players, coaches and fans provided tangible vedio evidence of the injury having not occurred when the call for snubbing FSU first was broadcasted, the noise volume increased to say the team was not good enough. Norvell's recognition by the Dodd Award is the third party objective endorsement that FSU had to be included in the playoff, if it was in fact a playoff.

Oddly enough, one of the prime reasons cited by the committee for the snub was that an FSU team without Jordan would not be as competitive and the ratings might not be as good. They referenced the TCU game of last year where UGa blew them out and they said they didn't want a repeat of that. So their solution was to drop FSU and avoid the problem. Of course they lacked the self awareness to anticipate that once you told a team that had been built and was successful for playing for something more than yourself; for your teammates, family, and school; that what they had accomplished was unworthy, they would not have a reason to compete.

Most of you who read these game weekend notes know that I called for the players and coaches to rally and compete to win so that the committee would have to answer how a 14-0 team could not be competing for the championship. I knew this was a long shot, but I also thought not competing would be more harmful in both the short and long term. CMN could not bring himself to ask his players that he cares so deeply for to risk injury and delay surgeries only to have even a win be ultimately demeaned by the CFPSC's banker ESPN and the playoff coalition of B1G, SEC, ESPN, Fox and the bowls. He left the decision to them, as he should. Some remained ready to compete, come what may (Bethune, DeLoach, Fiske, Washington, Toafili, Farmer) Others took a more pragmatic approach that is completely understandable. A few reflected the effect the anger and frustration and sought a transfer. Some others were encouraged to transfer. So FSU was without 13 all ACC team members and 20 players who rotated in the two deep. Instead of delaying surgeries until after the game, Farmer, Toafili and Bethune went ahead to get a head start on next season. Others who played were cautioned not to take unnecessary risks. FSU had true freshmen playing or starting against 2 time national champions that also felt offended by the CFPSC. In all FSU was without ~30 players that were part of the 2023 13 win season. Congratulation CFP LLC. You have pulled back the vail and shown the paying public just what a farce you have created for the money.

The irony is the CFPSC created exactly what they hoped to avoid. The OB demonstrated the empty platitudes of "on field achievement" and "fairness" will destroy the sense of competition that is the cornerstone of college football. They also got the blowout they hoped not to replicate and I'm certain will have negative impact on the launch of the expanded playoffs. The CFPSC and its banker, ESPN has met the enemy and it is them.

It was all so completely avoidable.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT